Risk of Rain 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Risk of Rain 2

Post by coopasonic »

I couldn't find a thread for this. It came out of Early Access earlier this year. The boy and I finally gave it a real shot over the past week or so and found it to be a lot of fun.

It's basically a rogue-like shooter where you explore fairly small levels looking for a teleporter to activate which triggers a boss to defeat. Every few minutes the difficulty increases. You level up as you kill things and kills give yo money that you can spend to unlock chests and buy items. Chests give random item drops that range from "increased attack speed" to "crits causes bleeds and an enemy that dies while bleeding explodes" of course that is kind of useless if you don't have the item that gives you crit chance. So there is a lot of synergy between items so you might want specific items. There are recyclers that you can use to turn items into scrap and 3d printers that turn a random item into a specific item (but the random item will always be scrap if you have any). You can get an artifact that allows you to select your item from chests but that prevents the item shops form spawning so you have fewer total items available.

There are around 10 total characters. You start with one and unlock the others through various challenges. There is also a pretty good number of unlockable items and secret levels and boss variants. Lots to do and you can do it all in co-op.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Re: Risk of Rain 2

Post by Fretmute »

I picked it up and thought it was decent. I got annoyed (much like I did at the first) when other classes that I feel would be more fun are gated behind me continually failing at the challenges with the class I don't like.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fretmute wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:15 pm I picked it up and thought it was decent. I got annoyed (much like I did at the first) when other classes that I feel would be more fun are gated behind me continually failing at the challenges with the class I don't like.
Sums up my thoughts on it as well. Was fun for a bit, but got tedious pretty quickly.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I didn't mean to bring it down completely. Apologies. It probably would have been more appealing if I had more folks that I knew to play with.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah co-op helps. You can do most of the unlocks on the lowest difficulty so it should be pretty accessible. I unlocked most of the other characters with the Commando who is the character that you start with and is universally considered the worst character. I only tried a few of the others and found them all pretty fun and relatively unique.

When you get the right combination of gear and burn down a set of bosses (because you are brave or stupid and asked for extra bosses) in just a few seconds, it feels pretty good.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter