Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Dave Allen

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:41 am Turn 39 sent to Ralph.

Arch - may the next game be a better day for you. So long!
It's not over! Let's play the first to win three games on this board.
We'll rotate starting locations. Previous winner must start in one of the middle territories.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

You can count me in for the next one.

..as long as I get to revise my army list. I don't think I had enough mid tier stuff.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 am
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:41 am Turn 39 sent to Ralph.

Arch - may the next game be a better day for you. So long!
It's not over! Let's play the first to win three games on this board.
We'll rotate starting locations. Previous winner must start in one of the middle territories.
I'm in, but if I win this one I chalk it up vastly more to more experience/more recent experience than anyone else playing and a corner position. Tends to help a lot when you have a strategy of some sort in mind and the cards fall your way for your plan and no one knows it exists, let alone how to deal with it.

Might try a game with no caster (or none of the big caster) heroes for something different though.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

turn 40 sent to Nick. finally seeing black and green fight! It only took 39 turns!

And I'll be in for the next game too!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I'd be up for another game as well. The main way that I went wrong this game was not understanding how heroes worked and how the basic mechanics worked, and so got my heroes killed early and often, which prevented them from developing and becoming useful.

Next time I'll screw up in new and interesting ways instead!
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, with our fight, I think it was one of those "wars are not won by the most competent army, but by the least incompetent army" kind of things.

Unrelated, I kind of wish there was a way to see which fights occurred between other players (assuming visibility).
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I would be down for another game once this one wraps up, but I also would probably choose my troops this time. Also, I wouldn't mind if we just did another randomized map, but anything works.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 pm turn 40 sent to Nick. finally seeing black and green fight! It only took 39 turns!

Remind me again, who's black?? That the SE corner? Think that's Nick if I remember right?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nah, I'm in the northwest.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:46 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 pm turn 40 sent to Nick. finally seeing black and green fight! It only took 39 turns!

Remind me again, who's black?? That the SE corner? Think that's Nick if I remember right?
I know, but I'm not telling you! :x
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 40 sent to Ralph.

DAVE!!!

Dave...

Dave, that wasn't very nice of you. You have no idea how lucky you are in your timing. :doh:
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:23 am Nah, I'm in the northwest.
Right, the Hoomans. Was expecting you to start a war before Dave, but I guess finishing off Acrh really ticked Dave off (a 4 town staging area on his front door probably didn't help).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:23 am Turn 40 sent to Ralph.

DAVE!!!

Dave...

Dave, that wasn't very nice of you. You have no idea how lucky you are in your timing. :doh:
Dave's not here man.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:24 am ...(a 4 town staging area on his front door probably didn't help).
I believe in a two-turn-wide-DMZ.
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:57 am Dave's not here man.
No man... it's me... Dave. :x
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Turn 41 sent to Nick!

Still hanging around!

Would anyone want to try an online, simultaneous turns multiplayer game - maybe next weekend with the time zone differences? Online MP has all human players taking their turns at simultaneously - a game usually takes about 2 hours (or less). It is crazy, but fun. Was a bit buggy, and the host has a slight advantage, or did over modem connections - buggy as in sometimes the database sync over MP (especially if two players were trying to attack each other - he who clicks first gets to see the battle - and the db could get out of sync - good to have a save every turn to roll back to, but simultaneous turn online MP was pretty fun and crazy. It's almost like playing chess with a timer, but everyone is moving their pieces at the same time.

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:16 pm Would anyone want to try an online, simultaneous turns multiplayer game - maybe next weekend with the time zone differences? Online MP has all human players taking their turns at simultaneously - a game usually takes about 2 hours (or less). It is crazy, but fun. Was a bit buggy, and the host has a slight advantage, or did over modem connections - buggy as in sometimes the database sync over MP (especially if two players were trying to attack each other - he who clicks first gets to see the battle - and the db could get out of sync - good to have a save every turn to roll back to, but simultaneous turn online MP was pretty fun and crazy. It's almost like playing chess with a timer, but everyone is moving their pieces at the same time.
Sounds too much like an rts to me.
Besides, at 66, I am at a distinct disadvantage in any game where no one could ever think "c'mon Dave take your turn already" :roll:
I would be up for a Wargroove 2v2 game sometime.
Last edited by Dave Allen on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It was very different from an rts. Haven't really played anything like it (so hard to explain) and it's definitely worth trying if you haven't tried it before. It's a very unique gameplay experience. With discord or something for chat, it would be even better.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

There are some TBS games that do this in single-player now. Thought maybe one of the HOMM games maybe? Can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember doing this in at least one game against the computer.

It's not RTS so much, though I guess it's a little like RTS but each turn is still a single turn. The most one can do is click on something quicker than you within a given turn. Still going to get the same production output, income, etc that you would get in the way we are playing now.

I'd be open to doing it but definitely not next weekend (got D*D night with the library Thursday and all D&D Sunday w/ friends - I try to schedule another 2ish hours of gaming time in there and my wife will ensure I don't live to victory (and I don't mean in game...)). :)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, that plan was about 66% successful. But I think we knew it was coming.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 41 sent to Ralph WIgguns.

I was sort of hoping you'd finish of Pyperkub with the goal of picking up whichever of the 8 greater items of power he's holding first, but yes, I fully expected that. I'd actually anticipated you hitting me before Dave.

Now the only question is - what will Ralph do.

Hitting out at Nick might be a challenge, he's a little far away. Dave's closer, more of a threat to him. Or he could join the dog pile on me. Or sit it out, maybe sneak down and take out PK while he's watching. Maybe go around and fix up the razed cities to build himself up a little.

Gotta say sitting out does not seem like a good long term plan. Need to do something to keep building up power some. I know what I'd prefer he did, especially as we're allies now...

Say, as allies - can we win an allied victory? Does the game end if we wipe everyone else out (or between the two of us, we get the 8 artifacts of power), we win? That might be a viable path to victory for Ralph.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 am Now the only question is - what will Ralph do.

Hitting out at Nick might be a challenge, he's a little far away. Dave's closer, more of a threat to him. Or he could join the dog pile on me. Or sit it out, maybe sneak down and take out PK while he's watching. Maybe go around and fix up the razed cities to build himself up a little.

Gotta say sitting out does not seem like a good long term plan. Need to do something to keep building up power some. I know what I'd prefer he did, especially as we're allies now...

Say, as allies - can we win an allied victory? Does the game end if we wipe everyone else out (or between the two of us, we get the 8 artifacts of power), we win? That might be a viable path to victory for Ralph.
You say all this as if I actually have any sort of long-term strategy...
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In that case, let me suggest a long term strategy. Hit Dave (to the south of you). Stick in the alliance and we'll get an ally victory (or at least that's the plan).

In fairness, that's probably the best thing you could do for me.

But I am not sure you have a lot of better options. Either I am going to wipe out Nick and Dave and you'll get the alliance victory (or swallowed up by me at that point if we aren't in an alliance any more for some reason), or they are going to wipe me out, most likely leaving one of them much stronger than the other (as I'm likely to focus on 1 first), and said stronger party will clean up the map.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I doubt an allied victory will work in this capture the flag game. I really don't remember if we tested it. SSG probably did tho. Maybe.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 pm I doubt an allied victory will work in this capture the flag game. I really don't remember if we tested it. SSG probably did tho. Maybe.
Guess if we are allies and the last 2 players left (or 1 of us gets the goods and wins), we can still declare it an allied victory? Just because the game mechanics don't support it doesn't mean we can't?

I should point out that I said helping me so we win an allied victory is your best option. More accurately, an allied victory is likely your best option. Deciding which of the other 3 major powers you think will be the best ally for your victory is up to you.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 pm ...let me suggest a long term strategy. Hit Dave (to the south of you).
Can't argue with that... unless you're good at mountain climbing.
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 pm Stick in the alliance and we'll get an ally victory (or at least that's the plan).
...and there shall be only one!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 pm ...let me suggest a long term strategy. Hit Dave (to the south of you).
Can't argue with that... unless you're good at mountain climbing.
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 pm Stick in the alliance and we'll get an ally victory (or at least that's the plan).
...and there shall be only one!
That a rule we are playing by? I certainly have no intention of betraying him otherwise (since it would make getting an alliance in the future that was worth squat rather difficult when I've been stuck w/ the label of backstabber, breaker of alliances).

Did some reading on this last night. I know in single player, you want to declare war before you actually attack (takes a turn for the declaration to go through, the other side considers you at war immediately I think). Apparently people consider it the proper thing to do in MP according to the reddit or whatever it was I was reading. They suggested not doing so was likely to have all the other human players gang up on you. Found this amusing considering I don't believe anyone in our game did it that way. I of course, being the true believer in peace that I am, have not started any wars (I just try to finish them).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

T42 sent to Nick!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, on the plus side, that'll cut down on maintenance costs.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm ... They suggested not doing so was likely to have all the other human players gang up on you. Found this amusing considering I don't believe anyone in our game did it that way. I of course, being the true believer in peace that I am, have not started any wars (I just try to finish them).
I just assumed we were all at war from the start. It's not like there is any other way to win in this game.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, right, unless I missed something, I don't think there's a diplomatic victory condition.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It ain't called Peacelords.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 pm It ain't called Peacelords.
Says the absent lord.

Buy the game and join us in the next round, show us how to do it properly! :horse:
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm ... They suggested not doing so was likely to have all the other human players gang up on you. Found this amusing considering I don't believe anyone in our game did it that way. I of course, being the true believer in peace that I am, have not started any wars (I just try to finish them).
I just assumed we were all at war from the start. It's not like there is any other way to win in this game.
Technically, we're neutral. You can form an alliance or declare war. As there are no penalties to just attacking (in game our factions relationships go down, but as human players, doubt anyone was paying any attention to who they liked/disliked/hated/whatever in according the game). Guess it can make for a more gentlemen's game to declare war first, but I wasn't assuming we were using that rule.

I just never had to worry about it, people kept attacking me. Never had much of a chance to attack anyone else first.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:02 pm
Says the absent lord.

Buy the game and join us in the next round, show us how to do it properly! :horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

So... if you send a stack via the vectoring from 1 town to another, and while you are traveling, destination town is captured and origination town is razed...

Your stack just dies???
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:17 pm So... if you send a stack via the vectoring from 1 town to another, and while you are traveling, destination town is captured and origination town is razed...

Your stack just dies???
I think so - losing both cities is the key. Is that how your hero died?

T43 sent to Nick.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:30 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:02 pm
Says the absent lord.

It's a losing move in this case ;). DLR is a fun game, and you are missing out.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:12 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:17 pm So... if you send a stack via the vectoring from 1 town to another, and while you are traveling, destination town is captured and origination town is razed...

Your stack just dies???

T43 sent to Nick.
Yep. Dave took the city I left right after I left and you took my destination city that same turn. I was unable to liberate it. Like to think had I known this was possible, I'd have picked a further away/more secure city (like the 1 north of what you took), but probably not. Probably wold have been cocky that I'd hold that one as you hadn't been too aggressive. Though maybe I'd have reinforced it a little until my hero got there. He was supposed to come, take your hero out and finish you off.

Since my hero was my main source of power, winning is going to be at best, extremely difficult for me now. And it wasn't looking super easy before (was figuring I'd kill Nick or Dave, the other would kill me - unless I was able to somehow slow them down/hold them off and turn it around with my hero still - no hero, no super stacks, not looking good).

What happens to any of the 8 artifacts of power we're seeking out for the victory condition I might have been carrying? I know I had at least one, not sure if I had more or not.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 am
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Your stack just dies???

T43 sent to Nick.
Yep. Dave took the city I left right after I left and you took my destination city that same turn. I was unable to liberate it. Like to think had I known this was possible, I'd have picked a further away/more secure city (like the 1 north of what you took), but probably not. Probably wold have been cocky that I'd hold that one as you hadn't been too aggressive. Though maybe I'd have reinforced it a little until my hero got there. He was supposed to come, take your hero out and finish you off.

Since my hero was my main source of power, winning is going to be at best, extremely difficult for me now. And it wasn't looking super easy before (was figuring I'd kill Nick or Dave, the other would kill me - unless I was able to somehow slow them down/hold them off and turn it around with my hero still - no hero, no super stacks, not looking good).

What happens to any of the 8 artifacts of power we're seeking out for the victory condition I might have been carrying? I know I had at least one, not sure if I had more or not.
It only took 21 turns for my ...

After that epic battle set us on our current trajectories.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Note to self, in the future, don't "all but wipe somebody out", I need to "fully wipe them out". Especially if they are people named Pyperkub the vindictive who hold grudges longer than dwarves!