concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess it will be a while before you can have tickets and see them too.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 pm I'm trying to decide whether I want to go to Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Seven Spires. I didn't know any of them before seeing their concert ad, but the former two are very well known melodic death metal bands. Melodeth is a sound I generally enjoy, but I just can't get extremely into these guys after multiple listens, so I'm thinking it's not worth going to a concert I can't get excited for. I've actually been listening to Insomnium's first album a bit, and I like it a lot at first listen... but it appears to be their more recent stuff they're playing, which is much more... "melo-". The thing is, I suspect I would start to like them if I listened to them a lot, but I don't find them immediately catchy. The songs I linked I've gotten to like quite a bit, but it took a while.

Then I saw a Tyr/Heidevolk/Trollfest/Metsatoll concert appear, and while I'm only marginally aware of half these bands, almost everything I hear I like, so I think I'll definitely try to get tickets to that one.

Amorphis/Entombed AD/Nervosa is also on the horizon for September. I've given Amorphis a few listens at SP's recommendation but they haven't stuck so far. Didn't think Entombed AD would appeal to me, though I really liked the first song of theirs I heard. Presuming they don't sell out, I have a little time to make up my mind.
Having seen nearly all of these, I'll give you a couple quick thoughts.

- Insomnium/Omnium Gatherum/Seven Spires: If you don't already like Insomnium's stuff, seeing them live won't do anything to change your mind. They sound really good, but very little in the way of stage presence or audience interaction. They pretty much get up, play, and leave. Omnium Gatherum puts on a really good show. Seen them three times and while I'm not a huge fan of their music, they're really fun live. Seven Spires is meh. I'm still on the fence about going to this one when it's here in April.

- Tyr/Heidevolk/Trollfest/Metsatoll: Tyr is fantastic live. I'd recommend checking out a setlist and getting familiar with a few of the songs, as they encourage a ton of singing-along. Trollfest is utterly insane and probably worth the price of admission by themselves. Seriously, those dudes are hilarious and put on a brilliant live show. Last time I saw them, they started a headbanging conga line all around the venue (I'm in the middle of that mess somewheres). :lol: Definitely do not miss them. Metsatoll is quite fascinating to watch live, as they bring a ton of unique instruments and great energy. Heidevolk is probably fun if you know their stuff, kinda 'meh' if you don't.

- Amorphis/Entombed AD/Nervosa: Tough for me to be unbiased here, as Amorphis are one of my favorite metal bands ever. That said, they really do put on a amazing live show. Tomi has a stage presence like few other metal singers in the world, and is an absolute joy to watch. They always sound tight as hell too, with never a missed note. Nervosa is a bad-ass female thrash metal trio from Brazil. They were one of our "let's see a random band at 3am" shows on 70K, and I was blown away. They're fantastic. I've never seen Entombed, but have heard they're pretty bad-ass live. I love their first couple albums that were straight up old-school death metal, but didn't really like they way they moved to the "death n' roll" sounds after that.

So, there's more info that you probably needed. :) I'm mostly just bummed that neither the Tyr or Amorphis tours are stopping in Utah this time.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ohhh this must mean Nervosa has a new album out... must look

updated concert calendar:

Mar 4
Blackwater Holylight
The Rare Forms, Witch Ripper

Mar 17
Bikini Kill

Mar 29
Algiers
Zen Mother

Apr 10
King Krule

Apr 14
Ben Watt

May 3
Dead Can Dance
Agnes Obel

May 8
Daniel Lanois & Heavy Sun

May 11
Heaven 17

May 16
The House of Love

Jun 13
Swans
Anna von Hausswolff

Jul 1
Ministry
Front Line Assembly, KMFDM

Sep 25
The Young Gods
Paul Barker

Oct 14
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Weyes Blood

Oct 19
Einstürzende Neubauten
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cirque du Soleil event in early May cancelled.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

You live in a big city, pretty sure you can find someone to put their balls in your face still.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Code Orange was supposed to be on tour. They livestreamed a show from an empty venue instead. Pretty cool alternative.

While their music is hit and miss for me (mostly miss), watching that makes me want to see them live. The intensity and tone reminds me of Broken-era NIN.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had hedged my bets on a Trevor Noah performance at the end of July in Tulsa. They pulled the plug on it today.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Judas Priest and Sabaton concert I was supposed to attend that would have kicked off the US leg of Priest's 50th anniversary tour in early September has now been cancelled.

I am sure that this is not the first of my big fall events that will meet the axe.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I has a sad looking at this thread. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yeah, I was going to see KMFDM and Ministry next Friday. After all of these years, I'd finally see KMFDM and it would be for a sort of reunion of the show I missed 30 years ago. That would be the first show for me in over a year, while the last two shows were very local bar shows to see Samantha Fish. They still count but that was how convenient it had to be to get me out.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

even if this isn't cancelled/rescheduled.... would i even be comfortable going to concerts the remainder of this year........ ugh. i think there aren't going to be any more shows for 2020.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I had planned to see the Hoodoo Gurus in Nashville in October but waiting to see if they will be coming now. Last saw them when they did their college campus tour in late 80s. Don't think they tour outside Australia too much these days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Monster Magnet had the foresight to postpone their March show all the way till January... but at this point that's likely not going to be enough. I'm not sure masks will stand up to rowdy concert behaviour. (As if they could enforce that.) Everyone else cancelled on me.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

All of our shows for this year - The Decemberists, My Chemical Romance and Waxahatchee - have been rescheduled for next year. For the most part they just moved the date one year forward keeping the same day of the week which is much appreciated as I deliberately picked the Saturday night show for the Decemberists (they're playing way out on the other side of the city in a venue that's a bit of a nightmare to exit).

Waxahatchee reshculed their May show for February 14, 2021. :doh: Guess I'll be skipping that one.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm not even sure why at this point anyone is scheduling for anytime next year. concerts are postponed indefinitely as far as i'm concerned... unless you have some idea for socially-distanced shows (like the Flaming Lips one where everyone is in their own literal bubble)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yep, Drive-By Truckers postponed to 2021. Coheed cancelled.
I have but one advocate.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Damn it. They cancelled the rescheduled Monster Magnet show from last March. :cry: It can't really be that hard to socially distance in a packed venue of 950... I can just hold my breath.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You do not want to kiss the mouth of the scorpion during this pandemic. Keep NJ's son safe!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

And I don't intend to suck the c*ck of the fire god at any time. :shock:

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i think 'no concerts in the US throughout 2021' is probably going to be expected.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Judas Priest cancelled U.S. tour dates in 2020 and moved them to Sept-Oct 2021. I'm gonna wait and see how things go before buying tickets...
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 pm i think 'no concerts in the US throughout 2021' is probably going to be expected.
Oh, I'm sure you're right unfortunately, and that's the way it should be. I was just being silly and lamenting this fact. I'd only recently started getting into concerts and I'm really bummed to be without these highlights in my life right now. I was hopeful that Monster Magnet might attempt to reschedule again rather than outright cancelling, but I understand why that would be impractical business-wise at this point unless they're planning to invest our ticket funds in the interim or something.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Actually, I'm going to a local concert tomorrow night being done as a sort of social experiment. It's a drive-in style concert being held in a parking lot where attendees stay in their cars which are parked to keep the distance, the sound feed broadcast to a radio frequency. There will be a real stage with real-live-in-the-flesh performers. The headliners are Serena Ryder and Hawksley Workman (music produder and musician).

I admit to being really curious as to how the experience will play out. I think it's a great idea.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is this weekend:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Gods, I miss concerts.

That is all. :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had that conversation with the wife yesterday.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

that guy from Crystal Castles is a real piece of work

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

oh and i got my second-to-last outstanding refund from a 'postponed' concert - had to chase this particular one down since i purchased it from the venue box office.

i'm letting the last one (Ministry/FLA/KMFDM) go for now until it's officially cancelled.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 pm Image
How was it?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:49 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 pm Image
How was it?
i told img.bb to not autodelete my uploaded images...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Funny, I pretty much decided this morning I don't see myself ever going to a show again.

Second to last show we went to decided it. I think it was early spring 2019, April or early May. It was at a shithole bar where I've seen plenty of shows. In a shithole neighborhood where all my Indian friends grew up. I've been a local there since mid '80's.

Things had already changed over the past few years but it's just stupid now. I don't want to sound too Old Man but there's just no etiquette, there's no politeness...there's no more smiles. It's just drunk kids not even familiar with the band looking for a reason to go hard.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:28 pm Funny, I pretty much decided this morning I don't see myself ever going to a show again.

Second to last show we went to decided it. I think it was early spring 2019, April or early May. It was at a shithole bar where I've seen plenty of shows. In a shithole neighborhood where all my Indian friends grew up. I've been a local there since mid '80's.

Things had already changed over the past few years but it's just stupid now. I don't want to sound too Old Man but there's just no etiquette, there's no politeness...there's no more smiles. It's just drunk kids not even familiar with the band looking for a reason to go hard.
That sucks man. :(

I’ve had the opposite experience with metal shows here (in the before times, of course). Felt like the crowds were getting more and more welcoming, pit etiquette had been way better, and people have generally very cool and chill. Really only had one bad experience (dudes showed up at a Fleshgod Apocalypse show looking to fight), and it was shut down pretty quickly. I’m looking forward to jumping back into the scene, if it’s ever possible again.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Given that I've started going to concerts relatively late (in my 30s) but have really enjoyed it, I'm definitely looking forward to concerts returning. I never imagined the rush you get from live music. I really crave it occasionally. The few shows I'd been to previously were in support of Mrs. Nym or stadium shows, and it wasn't quite the same. I definitely lament all the stuff I've missed.

One thing's for sure, I really need to get in shape though. Standing for 4-6 hours in close quarters was taxing even before putting on extra covid pounds. I also wish I knew more people locally with similar tastes. The folks at shows have been pretty cool, but I'm way too introverted to make friends. I dragged one good pal to a couple of metal shows, but he's only into clean vocals for the most part, and is generally only interested in bands he's heard of (or that I introduce him to first, and he enjoys). Which makes total sense of course. And not that metal is the only thing I'm into, but it's definitely what I've been most interested in for the last several years.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm going to see a show tonight!

OK, it's a virtual show but still. The Decemberists are doing the first of three virtual shows tonight. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Exodor on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

gilraen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm Judas Priest cancelled U.S. tour dates in 2020 and moved them to Sept-Oct 2021. I'm gonna wait and see how things go before buying tickets...
I have tickets for this (more to see Sabaton than Judas Priest). Am curious to see if it'll still happen as some bands are already starting to postpone things to 2022.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't understand how I'm seeing new concerts announced for late 2021. I mean yeah, I hope so... but that's still awfully optimistic. That said, I guess they do have to start booking in advance, and with the current vaccination outlook... I mean, I want to be optimistic.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yeaaaahhh it aint happenin
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Local metal bar just announced a Deicide, Kataklysm, Internal Bleeding show on Aug 19. That's the week before my b-day, and I (along with most others, hopefully) will be fully vaccinated by then.

Depending on how things look in the state at that point, that may end up being the target for my first post-COVID show. We shall see...
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Local metal bar just announced a Deicide, Kataklysm, Internal Bleeding show on Aug 19. That's the week before my b-day, and I (along with most others, hopefully) will be fully vaccinated by then.

Depending on how things look in the state at that point, that may end up being the target for my first post-COVID show. We shall see...
I saw them announce this a couple days ago. I don't know when I'll feel comfortable going back out in a social settings, but this would be a show I'd go to.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Change of plans, as we may be heading down to Psycho Las Vegas that weekend instead. It's only a 5.5 hour drive, and I have a bunch of hotel points still sitting there, so it'd be pretty cheap. The lineup looks pretty good too, with a bunch of bands that have been on my list but I've never actually seen (Danzig, Watain, Mayhem, Full of Hell, MGLA, Repulsion, and Dying Fetus).

I still have to run it by Mrs. Skinypupy though, so we'll see what happens. :lol: