[Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: [Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 pm I have to admit that I'm impressed by your commitment to the bit. Heck, maybe some folks are even fooled by your "I'm just giving numbers/asking questions" shtick.
This is a god damned thread about football. You both need to cut the shit. Now can we please get back to talking about how bad Brady sucked?
And one of the football topics raised was the NFL's on-field response to racial equality issues, fans reactions in the stands, and whether or not there is an impact to the NFL's ratings associated with it. All fair game for discussion in a football thread.

That said, the topic does seem to have run its course if people like you would stop bringing it back up. :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bruce Arians was all kissy-kissy with Brady during the off season, then one loss to a top N.O. team, and he questions Brady's determination. Death wish much?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 pm Bruce Arians was all kissy-kissy with Brady during the off season, then one loss to a top N.O. team, and he questions Brady's determination. Death wish much?
I think this is a good cop/bad cop routine. He dares to criticize Brady, which makes him the bad cop. This theoretically instills a respectful fear in the team because if Brady isn't safe from a tongue lashing then no one on the team is. It also makes Brady the good cop. Now Brady can get testy with his teammates and they'll accept it because they know it's better than having the coach on their back. If Brady had tried taking command on his own there is a good chance the team would have bristled at the idea, kind of a 'who does he think he is?' reaction. Now the other players are on his side.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 pm Bruce Arians was all kissy-kissy with Brady during the off season, then one loss to a top N.O. team, and he questions Brady's determination. Death wish much?
I think this is a good cop/bad cop routine. He dares to criticize Brady, which makes him the bad cop. This theoretically instills a respectful fear in the team because if Brady isn't safe from a tongue lashing then no one on the team is. It also makes Brady the good cop. Now Brady can get testy with his teammates and they'll accept it because they know it's better than having the coach on their back. If Brady had tried taking command on his own there is a good chance the team would have bristled at the idea, kind of a 'who does he think he is?' reaction. Now the other players are on his side.
Tom Brady can get testy with anyone he damn well feels like. Who on that team is going to challenge him? I wanna see that video that's for sure. Who the f does he think he is??? HE'S TOM F'IN BRADY. C'mon seriously?
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Football is a 'what have you done for me lately' sport. Brady can retire as the greatest of all time. If he chooses to play, and he has, then he still has to prove himself especially since he's on a new team. He threw a pick 6 in his first game with them. That's not a good look for an old guy trying to prove he can still play. The coach being the bad cop helps him keep his teammates' support because players will naturally be on another player's side. That's just my view of it though, so maybe I'm wrong. It's just I don't see why the coach would use that kind of criticism on a player with that much experience. It's not constructive, helpful, or something Brady wouldn't already know. That's why I think there is another motive.
RunningMn9

[Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

stimpy wrote:Ratings down over 16% during a time when people are craving sports and entertainment and are mostly home bound.
Good job, NFL!!!
Probably should have waiting for the final numbers. The opening Thursday game was down, but only about 5%, not the initial number that was reported.

The Athletic has a long article out today explaining why you should always ignore the overnights and wait for the final numbers, something to do with the differences of a live event.

They also note that the big problem continues to be cord cutters, and it has nothing at all to do with social activism.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

This is a drive-by post. Go Pats.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/09/nfl-rati ... -way-down/
https://www.thewrap.com/monday-night-fo ... bleheader/
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/16/espns-w ... rcent.html

The original point I was trying to make is that the NFL, typically a ratings juggernaut, somehow is managing to shed viewers by the millions during a time when they have basically a captive audience and should be crushing it.
There may be a myriad of reasons why. But the facts remain.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Why would I want to watch the two yawnfest NFL games that were scheduled for this Monday? I would have been more inclined to tune in if the matchups were more intriguing, but PIT/NYG and TEN/DEN don't do it for me.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm https://sportsnaut.com/2020/09/nfl-rati ... -way-down/

The original point I was trying to make is that the NFL, typically a ratings juggernaut, somehow is managing to shed viewers by the millions during a time when they have basically a captive audience and should be crushing it.
So if I concede that the ratings are down for the sake of discussion, what is your point? What do you want to highlight? Without discussing the reasons, your statements are meaningless. So discuss the reasons or move on.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The NFL is still a ratings juggernaut. It still crushes every other form of entertainment on TV. The problem isn’t that people aren’t watching the NFL, the problem is that people are not watching TV. This has been an ongoing problem for a few years now.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm The NFL is still a ratings juggernaut. It still crushes every other form of entertainment on TV. The problem isn’t that people aren’t watching the NFL, the problem is that people are not watching TV. This has been an ongoing problem for a few years now.
See, now you spoiled the punchline.

He's just going to say that he never said that wasn't the case - he's just showing information and is agnostic to the causes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm https://sportsnaut.com/2020/09/nfl-rati ... -way-down/

So if I concede that the ratings are down for the sake of discussion, what is your point? What do you want to highlight? Without discussing the reasons, your statements are meaningless. So discuss the reasons or move on.
I did move on, but people keep wanting to try and dispute the facts that the ratings are down. Why dont you question their motives?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I posted most recently because the initial data that you posted which used the overnight number (-16%) was inaccurate, by a healthy margin. The final number was -5%.

That’s the thing about NFL ratings, the overnights are *always* wrong, and are always lower than the actual number.

It’s fine to talk about NFL ratings drops, but do so with the correct information (wait 3 to 4 days for the final number), and then talk about WHY. The answer is cord-cutting. The NFL knows that the answer is cord-cutting, and the NFL anticipated that this year might be worse because cord-cutting accelerated during the early stages of the pandemic due to lack of live sports and new programming as sports leagues and TV production crews shut down.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

To be clear, my motive is that I think you are likely in the group that desperately wants the NFL’s ratings to be going down because they are doing the bare minimum to appear to be against racism, and apparently that’s a problem for some people (based on social media, it seems to be a real problem for people like my mom that will loudly claim that she will never watch another NFL game, without acknowledging that she’s never watched an NFL game).
Make up bags of change
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm To be clear, my motive is that I think you are likely in the group that desperately wants the NFL’s ratings to be going down because they are doing the bare minimum to appear to be against racism, and apparently that’s a problem for some people (based on social media, it seems to be a real problem for people like my mom that will loudly claim that she will never watch another NFL game, without acknowledging that she’s never watched an NFL game).
I know a couple people who have announced they're never watching an NFL game because they dared to take an anti-racism stance, too.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm To be clear, my motive is that I think you are likely in the group that desperately wants the NFL’s ratings to be going down because they are doing the bare minimum to appear to be against racism, and apparently that’s a problem for some people (based on social media, it seems to be a real problem for people like my mom that will loudly claim that she will never watch another NFL game, without acknowledging that she’s never watched an NFL game).
I know a couple people who have announced they're never watching an NFL game because they dared to take an anti-racism stance, too.
I'm sure there is also a hard core fringe who will never watch another NFL game because the anti-racism stance was not strong enough.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm done with this subject in this thread.
I'll post my final thoughts on this subject in R&P.
See ya over there!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Yep. Just trolling.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I wanted to change my signature to Black Lives Matter but clearly it would irritate people so I haven't. This is 2020, post George Floyd. Get used to it. The reason sports/athletes are involved is because the thoughts-and-prayers equivalents haven't moved the needle. Don't know if this will move the needle either but it's a good experiment.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm The answer is cord-cutting. The NFL knows that the answer is cord-cutting, and the NFL anticipated that this year might be worse because cord-cutting accelerated during the early stages of the pandemic due to lack of live sports and new programming as sports leagues and TV production crews shut down.
I am curious to know pro sports viewerships (NFL specifically) being down vs the rest of TV being down. It's been a known for a long time that TV is in no small part being driven by live sports veiwership and the costs of TV and cable integrating more an more bundled sport packages (and needing to charge more for them) and these increased costs are accelerating the cable TV death spiral as cable costs become streaming costs or other entertainment costs. It's a good time to look at sports vs TV in general ratings, I would think. Especially when the NFL hasn't had to compete NBA and NHL playoffs and many teams in contention for the MLB playoffs... but at the same time, don't have the mass of college football going against them either. The whole spectrum of "how many people are watching TV and what are they watching" compared to last year at this time has to be full of interesting speculation.

Me? I usually watch the first Lions game of the year. I guess I'm glad I didn't this year. I played video games instead, which I also shouldn't do and even though I still haven't cut the cord, I'm pretty much only using my TV to stream anime nowadays. Maybe the cord will be cut over my next vacation. I do too much work from home to risk an interruption to my service.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:15 pm Me? I usually watch the first Lions game of the year. I guess I'm glad I didn't this year.
You definitely should have watched. It was a classic!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's too early for ratings.
Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm I wanted to change my signature to Black Lives Matter but clearly it would irritate people so I haven't.
I have no authority, but I say do it. There are others with religious signatures, and we haven't pilloried the Tapatalk sig folks yet.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm I wanted to change my signature to Black Lives Matter but clearly it would irritate people so I haven't. This is 2020, post George Floyd. Get used to it. The reason sports/athletes are involved is because the thoughts-and-prayers equivalents haven't moved the needle. Don't know if this will move the needle either but it's a good experiment.
It might irritate one or two specific people. 99% of OO wouldn't have any issue with it at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Me? I record the Chargers games and a few other intriguing matchups. Then I play video games while football runs in the background. No pre-game, no commercials, no half time. Google game summaries show me anything else I may want to see (like the Lions final drive).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:17 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:15 pm Me? I usually watch the first Lions game of the year. I guess I'm glad I didn't this year.
You definitely should have watched. It was a classic!
So I hear. Knowing the franchise, we'll botch the season so bad the Lions that we won't actually get Trevor Lawrence but retain Quintricia who then pick up a few more players off the Patriot scrap heap discarded by Belichick so they can now start doing things their way.... 7 years into Quinn's destruction and four into Patricia's. I did hear enough of Patricia's post game interview to know that if I gave my opinion of that interview and they way he talks about the team, I'd be veering in to R&P.
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm Google game summaries show me anything else I may want to see (like the Lions final drive).
Yeah, no. I have no urge. The only solace I can take is that the game buys Trubisky more time and concurrent with give the Bears a worse draft pick.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm I wanted to change my signature to Black Lives Matter but clearly it would irritate people so I haven't. This is 2020, post George Floyd. Get used to it. The reason sports/athletes are involved is because the thoughts-and-prayers equivalents haven't moved the needle. Don't know if this will move the needle either but it's a good experiment.
I already annoy people. :D Now I can annoy them with you!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:00 pm
I already annoy people. :D Now I can annoy them with you!
Brilliant! I'm in.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Me too!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks folks :) You know, that's why the Oakland/LA/Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders have so many fans and in particular Black celebrities like Tiger Woods. They seem to be about Black people and care about them. I sure wish the Raiders were also interested in winning however. We'll see how this season goes, don't have my hopes up much. The teams we play aren't a cakewalk either, having to play KC twice will be very challenging. It's cool though, KC is our 'natural' rival so hopefully the fans get that and are up for the game. I'm really looking forward to Monday night's game, should be real interesting with the first LV home game and against the Saints!!!
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Lorini wrote:I wanted to change my signature to Black Lives Matter but clearly it would irritate people so I haven't. This is 2020, post George Floyd. Get used to it. The reason sports/athletes are involved is because the thoughts-and-prayers equivalents haven't moved the needle. Don't know if this will move the needle either but it's a good experiment.
You do what you feel is right. If it irritates people that says everything about them and nothing about you.
Make up bags of change
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I have signatures turned off so I don't see them. :ninja:

Yes, I'm aware of the irony that I have one. :horse:
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Made me look and I just noticed my sig had vanished (pretty sure it referred to a couple of years worth of books read). So me too!
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rams are playing like they are on a mission. And Sean McVay is on fire with his play calling.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Do Atlanta's special team players know that they can jump on the onside kick before it goes 10 yards? I really don't think they know that.
That was the most embarrassing onside kick recovery I have ever seen.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

McNutt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm Do Atlanta's special team players know that they can jump on the onside kick before it goes 10 yards? I really don't think they know that.
I just watched the replay on that and it sure did look like #41 on Atlanta was just watching the ball bounce along for a couple of yards.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So when does Dan Quinn/Matt Ryan get the rep for not being able to hold leads? Or maybe they already have it...
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What in the actual fuk? Justin Herbert outplays Mahomes but makes one rookie mistake that costs him the game. Chargers definitely have their QB of the future.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Bears' strategy of doing everything possible to let the opponent win the game in the closing seconds only to hang on seems to be working great against the likes of the Lions and the Giants. I'm sure that will hold up for the rest of the schedule, too.

One fun thing. The Bears had an apparent interception return for a TD in the fourth quarter called back for PI. When the ref announced it, whoever was running the crowd noise booed the ref. :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

gameoverman wrote:
McNutt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm Do Atlanta's special team players know that they can jump on the onside kick before it goes 10 yards? I really don't think they know that.
I just watched the replay on that and it sure did look like #41 on Atlanta was just watching the ball bounce along for a couple of yards.
I think they were mesmerized by how the football was spinning.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?