Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:56 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 pm Fortunately he's easy to buy. Give him and his immunity and let everyone keep their ill-gotten gains and he'll probably l gallop off into the sunset happily. Best case scenario, and he'll still be leaving behind a nation in chaos.
I won't be remotely surprised if Putin is keeping a dacha open for trump.
If Trump loses and becomes a media crank, he can keep damaging America by inflaming conspiracy theories and claiming to know secret presidential knowledge that undermines everything Biden attempts to do.

In that case, he's the gift to Putin that keeps on giving, and Trump Tower Moscow is a pretty sure thing.
He's going to "win" in his own mind and those of his followers, regardless of the actual election results. If he can't continue to occupy the WH there's no question he'll run a "shadow government," and it could be a government-in-exile. There is no way he'll ever pay for his crimes. Although given his skill at evading the law, he can probably just run out the clock. His dementia is already progressing visibly...it's not like he has to evade justice for a lot of years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Climate Knower-in-Chief is in the house.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's nice that the GOP has packaged his bottomless ignorance as "optimism".
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've grown used to the nervous chuckle when Trump says something so completely stupid that it has to be a joke. Right? RIGHT?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I swear, my state is just full-on, concentrated stupid sometimes. :grund:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 pm I swear, my state is just full-on, concentrated stupid sometimes. :grund:

"I'll tell you another reason I hate masks, most child molesters love 'em!"

Really pinned in the red on this one. Good lord.

18-1™ & 2-0
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

and surgeons!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Firefighters are actually satanists in disguise. They even play with fire when they wear those masks!

In added COVID news, Bob Woodward plays for us a little ditty of Trump talking April 13th to him - laughing that when someone in a meeting in the Oval Office sneezed, the room cleared out... including Trump himself. So great was the internal concern over infection.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:18 amand surgeons!
And unwittingly validating Darwin's survival of the fittest.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Covidiot claims another victim, or was is "zero tolerance policy"?

Rite-Aid manager, near store closing, asked the unmasked guy who entered the store to mask up, and offered him one, as per state mandate. The covidiot attacked her. She called cops. He got even crazier and attacked her again. She produced a pocket knife and pepper spray to scare him off. He left and threw rocks through two of the store windows before police arrived.

She got fired for zero-tolerance weapons policy. Apparently, corporate drones consider having the weapons on her "escalated" the situation.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 pm Covidiot claims another victim, or was is "zero tolerance policy"?

Rite-Aid manager, near store closing, asked the unmasked guy who entered the store to mask up, and offered him one, as per state mandate. The covidiot attacked her. She called cops. He got even crazier and attacked her again. She produced a pocket knife and pepper spray to scare him off. He left and threw rocks through two of the store windows before police arrived.

She got fired for zero-tolerance weapons policy. Apparently, corporate drones consider having the weapons on her "escalated" the situation.
If it saved her from getting beaten up or killed, it's probably worth losing the job. That's the decision you've made when you're armed against company policy.

And this isn't zero tolerance like she brought nail file to work. She brought prohibited items. A knife and pepper spray (tangent: does CVS sell either?). I don't have an issue with what she did to protect herself but I don't have an issue with CVS letting her go per their policy, either. Not a fan of the policy though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I find it more ironic that they tried to "explain" the policy, instead of just stating "zero weapons policy was violated". In trying to "explain" the zero-weapons policy as "escalating the situation", when it did precisely the opposite, proving them even more of a PR idiot.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:27 pm If it saved her from getting beaten up or killed, it's probably worth losing the job. That's the decision you've made when you're armed against company policy.

And this isn't zero tolerance like she brought nail file to work. She brought prohibited items. A knife and pepper spray (tangent: does CVS sell either?). I don't have an issue with what she did to protect herself but I don't have an issue with CVS letting her go per their policy, either. Not a fan of the policy though.
Rite Aid but aside from that, all of this. Depending on the knife, I'd not think of it or pepper spray as a weapon and if I felt cornered I would not hesitate to brandish them and if I got fired for doing so, well the fuck Rite Aid for not protecting me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
The health department's top spokesperson Michael Caputo called an emergency staff meeting on Tuesday to apologize for drawing negative attention to the Trump administration's health care strategy and signaled that he might be soon departing his role, according to five people with knowledge of the meeting.
Caputo told staffers that his series of false accusations on Facebook Live this weekend — which included unfounded allegations that the Centers for Disease Control was harboring a “resistance unit” — reflected poorly on HHS’ communications office. He blamed his recent behavior on a combination of physical health issues and the toll of fielding death threats against his family. Caputo also acknowledged that he had never read one of the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports, despite his team's ongoing efforts to try to edit those documents.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

about.

Trump goes anti-masker. But the example he gives (a waiter touching the mask and then touching the plate) supports the need for protection rather than the opposite.

It’s not just that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He doesn’t even know what he’s saying.

Also, whole lotta sniffing going on here.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

People online speculating his performance at town hall was so bad he's going to somehow wiggle out of debate with Joe Biden.

He's clearly not doing well (and hasn't been well for a long time). I wonder if something happened at the rallies over the weekend and he's suddenly worried he was exposed to freedom. Based on the Woodward commentary/tapes he's clearly afraid. So they either are juicing him up with convalescent plasma or he's the luckiest septuagenarian around.

Also, remember back in March?
March 31 (UPI) -- White House experts on Tuesday shared projections that up to 200,000 Americans may die as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

During a briefing by the White House Coronavirus Task Force, Dr. Deborah Birx shared figures projecting that the virus had the potential to kill between 1.5 million and 2.2 million Americans without mitigation and could still lead to 100,000 to 200,000 deaths even if mitigation efforts including "stay-at-home" orders issued in many states continue.
The official tally is ~197K right now, but unofficially we're likely quite beyond 200K at this point. Dark days ahead.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm People online speculating his performance at town hall was so bad he's going to somehow wiggle out of debate with Joe Biden.
And yet, more Americans think trump will win the debates.
Spoiler:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 amAnd yet, more Americans think trump will win the debates.
When you measure success in volumes of antagonizing and upsetting, victory is remarkably easy to achieve.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm People online speculating his performance at town hall was so bad he's going to somehow wiggle out of debate with Joe Biden.
Spoiler:
Honestly, that's good news. Trump is objectively terrible at debating (and at putting complete sentences together when not reading from prepared remarks). His only potential edge is low expectations. If people go into the debate expecting Trump to do better than Biden, then Trump loses that expectations edge and will get annihilated in the debate and in subsequent media coverage.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 am
Spoiler:
Honestly, that's good news. Trump is objectively terrible at debating (and at putting complete sentences together when not reading from prepared remarks). His only potential edge is low expectations. If people go into the debate expecting Trump to do better than Biden, then Trump loses that expectations edge and will get annihilated in the debate and in subsequent media coverage.
He won't get annihilated. He will derail and make a mockery of the event but he won't lose in the traditional sense.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 am
Spoiler:
He won't get annihilated. He will derail and make a mockery of the event but he won't lose in the traditional sense.
He might lose in the nontraditional sense, I suppose.

I feel like people are forgetting how bad he was in the 2016 debates. And in the coronavirus press conferences. Or any time that he has to get up in front of people outside of scripted rallies and whatnot.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Spoiler:
It's easy when you have an entire cult behind you.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 amI feel like people are forgetting how bad he was in the 2016 debates. And in the coronavirus press conferences. Or any time that he has to get up in front of people outside of scripted rallies and whatnot.
Oh, I remember. I also remember how it didn't and doesn't seem to matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He's bad to normal people. His followers think he's killing it no matter what he does. I'd say the debates are 100% pointless and won't have any impact on the outcome of the election. Their f'n insane and I'm 100% percent expecting people in the streets with guns if he loses.

And I'm sure as hell not taking whatever magical vaccine he's saying is going to get approved soon. :shock: I'm sure it will be "approved" right near the election and then will take another year to actually show up. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 am
Spoiler:
He might lose in the nontraditional sense, I suppose.

I feel like people are forgetting how bad he was in the 2016 debates. And in the coronavirus press conferences. Or any time that he has to get up in front of people outside of scripted rallies and whatnot.
I doubt his team is forgetting. His strategy: bully the moderators, insult Biden (and other Democrats), ignore the questions, and spew a ton of bullshit.

To the base: straight shooter, tells it like it is, [charicture of a] powerful businessman, alpha male.

To everyone else: roughly we expected, but in new and shocking ways.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 amI feel like people are forgetting how bad he was in the 2016 debates. And in the coronavirus press conferences. Or any time that he has to get up in front of people outside of scripted rallies and whatnot.
Oh, I remember. I also remember how it didn't and doesn't seem to matter.
People also tend to forget that Clinton got massive surges out of the debates. The events that hugely moved the polls in 2016 were the debates, the Comey press conference, and the Comey letter (and as a side note, fuck James Comey).
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I'm glad to see that the story being circulated about how the virus was definitely (no really) engineered in a lab was crafted by a non-profit funded by Steven Bannon and not being (broadly) taken seriously. So...progress?

Also: Florida

Anti-maskers in Florida invade a Target
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am
Imagine being this proud of your utter stupidity.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 am
The dumber you are, the more it shields you from feeling like an idiot.

This is the year when we get to see why the average IQ (factual or not, I like to say it) isn't higher than 100 and everyone who brings it down is on display.
Black Lives Matter

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I think about this almost every time I pass a house with more than one Trump sign. Normally they have multiple Trump flags.
FTE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 am
I think about this almost every time I pass a house with more than one Trump sign. Normally they have multiple Trump flags.
There's a house that I regularly pass on my way home whenever we head west (as it's not far from the highway) that in 2016 had an enormous "Hillary for Prison" sign in their frontyard. There's nothing there as of now (no Trump 2020 signs or anything). I wonder how they feel about that now. I assume that they're still unreformed idiots, but who knows.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So, how are vaccine projections going?

WOAH: Redfield just told senators that wearing a face mask might be more protection against COVID than a vaccine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also:

NEW: Multiple White House staff have tested positive for COVID-19 today. The White House press pool was just informed, but Chief of Staff Mark Meadows is not releasing any further information.

This comes less than 24 hours after international leaders met with President Trump.
When I saw the photos and video clips of the meetings, I was wondering why on earth international leaders would agree to meet face-to-face with Trump right now, given America is imploding. I can't even begin to imagine what they must have been doing with their own staff to try and protect everyone from an administration that brags about non-compliance with basic protective methods.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wonder how many of those staff were at Trump's recent campaign rally?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good news everyone, a vaccine will be ready in just couple weeks! :roll:

#BREAKING: WH Chief of Staff Mark Meadows says vaccine could be ready "potentially by the end of September": "We have a real hope of getting something that actually works."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Who do we believe? :D

CDC Director Says COVID Vaccine Likely Won't Be Widely Available Until Next Year
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm Who do we believe?
CDC Director Says COVID Vaccine Likely Won't Be Widely Available Until Next Year
That aligns with Fauci's timeline so not surprising. I couldn't believe the Pfizer CEO was saying they'd know by end of October. Talk about putting a target on your own back with the market.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dee isn't having it!
Late Tuesday night (September 15), Snider retweeted the video and included the following message: "No...these selfish assholes do not have my permission or blessing to use my song for their moronic cause. #cuttheshit"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Target shouldn't be having any of it either

https://corporate.target.com/about/purp ... avirus-hub
Masks available & required
Go shop somewhere else, you MAGAts.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump - Downplays virus truth
MAGAs - He wouldn't lie to us

Trump - I lied
MAGAs - He did it to help us.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"