Thinking about getting a wheel controller

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Thinking about getting a wheel controller

Post by Kasey Chang »

I like driving games, but I also don't have room in my budget for $300 or so (which is what G29/G920 goes for nowadays).

I saw someone selling Driving Force GT for $55. It's obviously not dual-motor like the new ones, but it seems to be a VERY good value for $55... I don't need 3 pedals, and it even has a sequential shifter on the right, not just paddles. What do you guys think?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paradroid

Re: Thinking about getting a wheel controller

Post by Paradroid »

I did a fair bit of research on this topic earlier this year when I was flirting heavily with Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2. What I found was that when a wheel advertises itself as having force feedback, it could mean either basically a bungee cord inside it, or actual force feedback that responds to the game. Even the least sweaty players insist on the latter, apparently.

I eventually concluded, however, that even the most basic wheel has got to be better than a gamepad. So I almost went for something very similar to what you're looking at. So for what it's worth, my advice is grab it if it's within budget and your only other option is a gamepad.
I no longer post here.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My son recently bought one for his PC because a lot of his friends are heavily into racing sims, and compete online, and they told him the cheapest good one was this one: 1Thrustmaster TMX. It's still $199, but cheaper than many of the really good ones, and he likes it so far. Many of the cheaper ones have issues that can affect the game. But if you are just a leisurely gamer like me the cheaper ones may be ok.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

DFGT actually came out just slightly before the TMX, so they are the same generation of product. I don't think I have much to lose if I can find that deal again. But I didn't buy it... I really have no place to put it at the moment.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds