Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

Post by $iljanus »

Jag wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:01 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:58 pm When you swap out party members do you need to strip equipment from them before removing them from the party so the items are returned to the general inventory?

Thanks!
Yes. They keep everything equipped. You should be able to run the same party the entire game and use skill mules at your base. Basically create new characters with full weapon/armor modding and another with full barter and just pull them out when needed. There is very little need for those 3 in the actual game unless you want it for RP value.

You can also redo your main characters if you didn't like how you specced. You lose some xp, but it's not a big deal. The game really needs a respec and inventory filter badly.

There is also a money trick with Barter if you are interested
Spoiler:
Get your barter mule to skill 10. Get the antique appraisal perk. Take a stack of scrap (the more the better) and buy and sell it repeatedly to the vendor until you get a message that the perk was tripped. At first it may only be a few thousand, but with higher levels of scrap, I got a few hundred thousand dollar ones. Luckily unlimited money doesn't really ruin the game. Just makes ammo and consumables essentially unlimited which shouldn't be an issue by midgame anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, agree about an improved inventory filter. I’d love to organize my weapons by type and I’ve accumulated a lot of useful items. Otherwise, I’m really enjoying the game.

Rather than call it a trick I’d call it being a “savvy consumer” :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jag wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:01 pm You can also redo your main characters if you didn't like how you specced. You lose some xp, but it's not a big deal.
I agree it's not a huge deal but watch out with firing and recreating one of your first two characters.

- as mentioned you lose experience. Not bad normally but slightly problematic if you are recreating a character with high charisma or with a skill like lockpicking. They lose more since it's based on average character level.

- your squad is ordered by hiring time and will revert to that when you load into a new zone.

The first one isn't a big deal. The second one has bothered me much more than I think it should.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

gbasden wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:02 am
stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:13 am Does animal whisper work just by clicking on the animal?
I have a guy that is level 5 and nothing seems to happen no matter what animal I try, cat or fox or doe.
No, it's a talent that you have to use from your hotbar.
This is what is showing. Is it the grayed out wolf icon that should be it?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'd have to check, but one of those icons should be for out of combat charming, and the other for in-combat charming. Or so it has seemed to me.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This is the character.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For out of combat taming, I just right clicked on the animal and magic happened. I did it on accident the first time. Also it doesn't work if you already have an animal tamed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

If you are out of combat you should have an ability that looks like a big paw print, that's what you use. It has a 4m range and you'll see the red circle when you activate it. There is one for when you are in combat but I think the taming only last until combat ends. It looks like the combat taming is the ability showing on your screen shot.

I finished last night with my characters around level 25. My advice is to save immediately after combat and whenever you think you're going to enter combat on the Yuma County section of the map. I know a lot of people do this as a precaution anyway, but there were a couple glitchy, unexpected fight outcomes in that section for me. I just restarted the game with a different set up know that I know what's up, although I kinda screwed up one character already. Not sure if I'll finish another play through, but I am going to pick a lot of completely different faction options.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yea.....something is definitely borked.
The ability shows up for this character, who does not have any points in Animal Whisperer.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I’ve learned a lot by watching some game play videos, and the biggest problem I see is that people aren’t using everything in their toolkit. Nobody I’ve watched uses everything but watching all of them, I can see what each is using and what each is missing The game gives you a lot to work with:

1) Weird science has a shrink ray that reduces size and a grenade that does the same - it makes the enemy hard to hit but also makes them less likely to hit you. Shrink some enemies down temporarily and focus on killing the others. Both are AOE so use them on clusters
2) There is also a melee stun ability and another weird science weapons that stuns. Use those. Again, both are AOE so use them on clusters
3) Use deployables - turrets, sawpups and slicer dicers - they kill and distract. They are expensive so save for hard fights with numerous enemies
4) Every/many teammate(s) should have a few points into animal whisperer - the animal companions distract and soak off enemies and they give give a little bonus to each team member
5) Don’t forget rockets - I’ve seen several people never use rockets in their games and those are great equalizers in tough fights
6) You can get a clone - he can’t carry weapons, can’t wear armor but he is just another distraction
7) You can have two weapons slotted. Rather than wasting AP on reloading, switch to the other weapon for free
8) Always crouch your team - you get both a defensive bonus and an accuracy bonus
9) There’s another weird science weapon that makes an enemy temporarily change sides and fight for you. Very useful when fighting large groups
10) Smoke grenades are great for helping to avoid being hit
11) It isn’t always there but always scan the battlefield for optional paths - sometimes there’s another way, which can give you a huge advantage or at least minimize an otherwise tough battlefield.
12) Use consumables/drugs - they can give extra AP, HP, etc.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:27 pm I’ve learned a lot by watching some game play videos, and the biggest problem I see is that people aren’t using everything in their toolkit. Nobody I’ve watched uses everything but watching all of them, I can see what each is using and what each is missing The game gives you a lot to work with:

1) Weird science has a shrink ray that reduces size and a grenade that does the same - it makes the enemy hard to hit but also makes them less likely to hit you. Shrink some enemies down temporarily and focus on killing the others. Both are AOE so use them on clusters
2) There is also a melee stun ability and another weird science weapons that stuns. Use those. Again, both are AOE so use them on clusters
3) Use deployables - turrets, sawpups and slicer dicers - they kill and distract. They are expensive so save for hard fights with numerous enemies
4) Every/many teammate(s) should have a few points into animal whisperer - the animal companions distract and soak off enemies and they give give a little bonus to each team member
5) Don’t forget rockets - I’ve seen several people never use rockets in their games and those are great equalizers in tough fights
6) You can get a clone - he can’t carry weapons, can’t wear armor but he is just another distraction
7) You can have two weapons slotted. Rather than wasting AP on reloading, switch to the other weapon for free
8) Always crouch your team - you get both a defensive bonus and an accuracy bonus
9) There’s another weird science weapon that makes an enemy temporarily change sides and fight for you. Very useful when fighting large groups
10) Smoke grenades are great for helping to avoid being hit
11) It isn’t always there but always scan the battlefield for optional paths - sometimes there’s another way, which can give you a huge advantage or at least minimize an otherwise tough battlefield.
12) Use consumables/drugs - they can give extra AP, HP, etc.
Deployables are great! They're pretty high on your enemy's targeting priority list giving you some breathing room and I'm even liking the decoy hologram which really comes in handy for monopolizing their attention while you flank your enemies.

I'm also digging the clone who's a good meat shield and an effective pummeler of your enemies.

There's a lot of boring weapons in the game so it does make you want to play with some of the unique toys a bit more. I'm also learning about the fun you can have with flamethrowers and gas grenades. I haven't started doing drugs yet but I have accumulated a good supply of detox meds so maybe it's time to start mainlining some stimulants! Also some toast goes a long way (and other than the carbs has no adverse side effects).
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

1) Good info. I tried figuring out what Shrink did. But wasn't having any luck. I figured it made them hard to hit. But beyond that I didn't know. So I haven't been using it that much. But if it affects their accuracy, I may have to step that up.
2) I haven't used much stun stuff. Though I've started using the goat thrower on the vehicle when I'm out and about. I know there are skills that give bonuses against stunned enemies. I only just picked up a melee character, but I don't think he has a stun yet. And I don't think I've got any weapons yet that stun. I'll have to double check that.
3) I've used deployables a few times. Not as many as I should. The decoy definitely saved my bacon at least once.
4) Yeah. I need to do that. It's hard to break the W2 ingrained habit of not having overlapping skills. I also saw an article that suggested Weird Science and Explosives are good on multiple people. (I can see that the 100% crit perk could be really nice for grenades.)
5) I'm trying to use rockets more. Now that I 1) have more $$$ and 2) have a better rocket launcher.
6) .... seems like I should look into this. I felt weird and didn't pursue getting a clone. It didn't seem like something Rangers would do.
7) Check
8) I do this when I'm setting up an ambush and don't have enough places to hide. Otherwise I almost always get into cover of some kind.
9) I've used that a couple of times successfully. The biggest drawback is the range.
10) Amen! Preach it!
11) I think I've been pretty good on this.
12) I haven't touched drugs yet (also doesn't feel very much like a Ranger). But I need to. Especially some of the food buffs. I took the perk that finds toast in toasters now.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I enjoyed Wasteland 2 but I am loving Wasteland 3. I really scratches that isometric RPG itch and it reminds me so much of Fallout 1/2. I really wish they'd use this engine to do more of a straight up RPG with a main character and fleshed out companions. But it's what we have and I love it. And the good news is there is going to be more:

I'm interested as in what it could be. I'm pretty sure they'll raise the level cap to 50, but that map doesn't look like it can add any additional areas. Post game content would be tough as any choice they make could invalidate many players' decisions as there are a lot of ways the ending can play out.

Looking forward to more Wasteland 3 though.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ugh, I’ve run into a totally game stopping bug. After I enter Broadmore Heights the game crashes on me after I reach a certain location. It’s done that 3 times so I’m stuck :( Haven’t had something like this happen in a long time, this is worse than any Fallout game, which have always been the least stable/buggiest games for me. This one clearly wasn’t ready for release :(
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Did you install the update?
Things improved afterwards, although I still wasnt able to finish the Elf on a Shelf mission because they hadnt fixed my issue for that yet.
I finished the game last night. Was a good ride. Not sure I'll be in for any future dlc though.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 am Ugh, I’ve run into a totally game stopping bug. After I enter Broadmore Heights the game crashes on me after I reach a certain location. It’s done that 3 times so I’m stuck :( Haven’t had something like this happen in a long time, this is worse than any Fallout game, which have always been the least stable/buggiest games for me. This one clearly wasn’t ready for release :(
That sucks. I had a bug which cost me a potential recruit. I'll leave it vague to not spoil it but after reducing his health he offered to join the Rangers. Was glad to have him but when I didn't immediately recruit him into the party with the intention of sending him back to headquarters the game sent me to the combat screen but couldn't carry out any moves or other commands. Ended up restarting the encounter and just using the hard-ass to avoid the fight. I thought a recent patch fixed that encounter but I guess not.
Black lives matter!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stimpy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 am Did you install the update?
Things improved afterwards, although I still wasnt able to finish the Elf on a Shelf mission because they hadnt fixed my issue for that yet.
I finished the game last night. Was a good ride. Not sure I'll be in for any future dlc though.
It's on Steam, it updates automatically :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've been playing on the Xbox and enjoying it. The bugs are annoying though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 am
stimpy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 am Did you install the update?
It's on Steam, it updates automatically :)
Yeah....I played it on Gamepass and it was a manual update.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ran into another frustrating bug. There was a swallowed key involved and was trying to avoid the obvious solution if possible since I didn’t want to chase off Lucia Wesson since she’d probably take offense at me gutting him. I did find a non fatal solution which I thought was pretty clever but after using it and even getting confirmation about the key now being available I couldn’t pick it up.

Found out that this was a known bug and pretty bummed about not getting into the vault the key opened. It wasn’t essential to the main story but they should fix this shit up.
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:58 pm Ran into another frustrating bug. There was a swallowed key involved and was trying to avoid the obvious solution if possible since I didn’t want to chase off Lucia Wesson since she’d probably take offense at me gutting him. I did find a non fatal solution which I thought was pretty clever but after using it and even getting confirmation about the key now being available I couldn’t pick it up.

Found out that this was a known bug and pretty bummed about not getting into the vault the key opened. It wasn’t essential to the main story but they should fix this shit up.
Eeeek! I haven't gotten that far yet, but that would definitely bum me out. I've bumped her all the way up in Barter. And she's my only Survivalist. I would not want to lose her.

Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TheMix wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:17 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:58 pm Ran into another frustrating bug. There was a swallowed key involved and was trying to avoid the obvious solution if possible since I didn’t want to chase off Lucia Wesson since she’d probably take offense at me gutting him. I did find a non fatal solution which I thought was pretty clever but after using it and even getting confirmation about the key now being available I couldn’t pick it up.

Eeeek! I haven't gotten that far yet, but that would definitely bum me out. I've bumped her all the way up in Barter. And she's my only Survivalist. I would not want to lose her.
I was once in a firefight in a area teeming with innocents and some got caught in the crossfire. When the encounter was done I saw I was one party member short and Lucia was no longer in the party. I talked to her and she said we were horrible people. I didn’t know if she left because
Spoiler:
I killed Santa. But hey, he was a slaver and a drug kingpin
but I think it probably was because
Spoiler:
some Elves got in the way of some lead and caught in an explosion or two. They did have some good lines as they died.
I then read a walkthrough about that particular mission (it was the
Spoiler:
Elf on the Shelf
mission) and reloaded a save, went back to obtain an item and resolved the encounter using the hard ass skill. No innocents were harmed and Lucia is still in my party.
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Is that where the infamous Elf on Shelf is? I must have totally missed it. Or simply didn't encounter any bugs.

I can say that
Spoiler:
Lucia will not leave just because innocents died. I was unable to prevent Rocket-Happy-Santa from gibbing some. She did not leave my party. My guess is that you killed the innocents. So apparently she's okay with them dying as long as you aren't the cause.

Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TheMix wrote:Is that where the infamous Elf on Shelf is? I must have totally missed it. Or simply didn't encounter any bugs.

I can say that
Spoiler:
Lucia will not leave just because innocents died. I was unable to prevent Rocket-Happy-Santa from gibbing some. She did not leave my party. My guess is that you killed the innocents. So apparently she's okay with them dying as long as you aren't the cause.
I'll admit that some of my shotgun blasts and rocket explosions tended to be rather indiscriminate.

The bugged key described previously was in Aspen. Complaints aside I haven't played a mission I didn't enjoy yet and I'm at the part of the story where 2 out of 3 wayward Patriarch kids have been captured.

Black lives matter!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm slowly plowing through this. Haven't seen too many bugs - a couple of minor glitches like dialogue options showing up twice and annoyances - transitions to "aimed shot" mode being super slow. Other than that, it's a fun time. I seem to be pissing off everyone but the refugees and the "Monster Army". Maybe it's because pretty much everyone else is an asshole. "Leave those refugees in the cold.", "Transplant this AI into a guy's head, overwriting the guy's brain in the process.", "Kill this synth that didn't really hurt anyone and bring me its CPU.", "Track down my escaped slave.", "Kill everyone in this location who hasn't really done anything wrong." etc.

As someone pointed out earlier, the difference between starting combat and not starting combat is huge. If you start the fight, you can start in cover and take out a couple of guys. If you don't, the bad guys start in cover and take out a couple of your guys, as armor seems to make about zero difference.

Handguns are surprisingly useful. I've got one guy that has a high tier pistol that does more damage (60-100 or so) then a burst from an AR, and can fire it off 5 times (it'll be 6-7 once I get coordination to 10) per round depending on whether the "lucky shot" thing pops. There's a perk that lets you take a 0-ap shot after reloading the weapon. With the right magazine mod, you can reduce reload costs by 1 AP. So what does that mean: Fire a shot (3 AP). Reload for 1 AP. Fire free shot. Reload for 1 AP. Fire free shot. Etc. With 8 AP, that's 5 shots per round. I'd say it lacks armor penetration, but the amount of damage it dows punches through any armor it encounters.

Sniper rifles are pretty good, too. Hang out in the back, "mark target", then hit it. Recently picked up a neutron blaster, which zaps robots pretty good. Only problem is that I have three people with energy cell weapons, so I have to moderate my usage of those.

Heavy weapons seems like a cool investment at first, but .50 cal ammo is rare and expensive, as are rockets, while flamethrowers don't really do enough damage. So I don't like them. Good thing the heavy weapons person also has leadership and explosives, so she can hang out in the back and buff the team or chuck grenades.

Also found a crossbow, which is an interesting weapon - does minimal damage but at the end of the bad guys's next turn, the 'explosive bolt' buff goes off, doing pretty good damage. It's got a pretty good refire rate, so you can blast multiple targets with it.
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Well, just shy of 64 hours and I have completed my first play through on PC. My biggest tip would be, when you get to the point of having spare skill points, it is super helpful to get Animal Whisperer across several of your rangers and charming the various animals you come across in the wastes.

Putting details of my end-game team behind a spoiler (some mission spoilers in here):
Spoiler:
For the last few hours of the game I had the following friends helping out considerably in fights:
  1. a fox with my ranger with the lowest animal whisperer skill
  2. a doe with my next level skill ranger
  3. a stag with the next - the stag racked up (see what I did there?) more kills than some of my rangers
  4. a growler cub with my highest animal whisperer

then, not from animal whispering but from missions:
  5. an energy-blasting robot from the Soviet space station
  6. a golden toaster from the Toaster Repair Academy
  7. I would have had my clone in the mix too, but he got killed at some point and I didn't notice and pick up the pink goo
I really enjoyed the game, I may even try another play through (something I never do) to try out some alternate choices, once it gets patched up a bit.
-something witty-
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:58 pm I did find a non fatal solution which I thought was pretty clever....
I bet that was pretty cathartic.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Freyland wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:21 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:58 pm I did find a non fatal solution which I thought was pretty clever....
I bet that was pretty cathartic.
In the end I should have just swapped Lucia out with Scotchmo and taken the very fatal approach. I don't know if Lucia would have gotten wind of my brutality and not rejoined the party but Scotchmo wouldn't have minded!
Black lives matter!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just finished the game and love the story of how things turn out afterwards. Seems I may have made a mess of things...makes me want to play again soon and take a different path.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter