Stormworks: Build and Rescue - KSP Coast Guard

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Stormworks: Build and Rescue - KSP Coast Guard

Post by coopasonic »

Got an email from GMG about this. It looks like the Kerbal Coast Guard. There is a free demo available now and I played through the first couple missions and it looks interesting, but I don't think it will replace KSP for me. The ship builder looks ridiculously complex which is probably the number one reason I wouldn't be going much farther with it, but maybe some of you would enjoy it. I guess you can do boats and helicopters based on what is shown in the videos, but you just start out with a very simple boat (that is really pretty easy to capsize... oops). The graphics are terrible, the animation is horrible, but the concept is interesting. If they keep at it and put a bunch more polish on it, I might be interested.
Last edited by coopasonic on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: Stormworks - KSP Coast Guard

Post by coopasonic »

I should point out the download is very Smoove friendly at 75MB. There are basically no textures, no voice and minimal sound. That really sells it, doesn't it?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I installed it and gave it a look. The gameplay right now is very, very basic. I put it on my Wishlist just in case, but this is far from KSP territory.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I realize this is an old thread, but Stormworks: Build and Rescue leaves Early Access on September 17th with the 1.0 release. I never picked it up due to my usual shunning of early access game, but reviews are very positive and a large amount of content has been added. Take a look through their Steam NewsHub feed (hope that link works) for some amazing stuff that has been built using the game engine. Images below are click to enlarge. The game price increases 25% on release day.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:45 pm I realize this is an old thread, but Stormworks: Build and Rescue leaves Early Access on September 17th with the 1.0 release.
Finally! I've been waiting for this for ages! Thanks for the update!
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is one of their Steam Workshop items that got my attention, Boeing 314 Yankee Clipper

Enlarge Image

Also, maybe we could get coopasonic to change the title of the thread to something like "Stormworks: Build and Rescue - KSP Coast Guard" to reflect the current actual title.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Fair warning, while there have been many positive reviews, I've found a couple that have cited the devs for ignoring reported problems like a persistent memory leak and other issues. Also noted was the devs adding a lot of new content that was and continues to be buggy. However, a lot of people are thrilled with the game. I'm assuming that it is much more of a creative sandbox where you can work around issues, but that might not be what some people want to deal with.
jztemple2

Re: Stormworks: Build and Rescue - KSP Coast Guard

Post by jztemple2 »

And Stormworks was indeed released out of Early Access today.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I need to watch some more recent gameplay to see if this is a thing for me. It didn't hold my interest way back when. Hopefully things have improved. Designing ships won't be enough for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I bought it. :D
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 pm I bought it. :D
I don't think you have to wait for page six to post impressions, we may never reach page six :wink:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

What, you expect me to play the games I buy?

FINE, I'll give it a go at some point.
I no longer post here.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I discovered this game about a week ago... and promptly put about 20+ hours into it building just one boat. For those wondering what this game is about, it's like you get to build lego creations and then try them out in the "real world" in various emergency situations. Let me elaborate on how I spent probably 15 of those initial 20 hours:

1. Build a boat hull, that floats, with a very basic engine.
2. Add reverse to my engine.
3. Add various gears to my engine, which required a manual clutch.
4. Improve my basic boat to be multi-functional for various kinds of missions.
5. Program an automatic clutch with a pseudo-circuit board designer.

Just a great experience so far. Next step, build my first helicopter!

Yeah, there is some wonkiness, but the overall experience is just great. The 1.0 version was just released today which has a lot of great new features, such as spreadable fire. Most importantly maybe is the new mission generator and the ability for community to create missions. Ton of enthusiasm for this game right now, can't wait to try out the new features.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Looking at it mostly makes me eager for KSP2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter