Wild Fires: 2020 Edition

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: Wild Fires: 2020 Edition

Post by hitbyambulance »

was able to open the window for a couple hours today (with the air purifier unit running and the sun still up) and it was actually not too bad. the PM2.5 ratings juuuuust hit the AQI border of "Unhealthy for sensitive groups" before bouncing back up into "Unhealthy". weather tomorrow is going to be meh, but everyone here is banking on Friday
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Our air was better today.We are going to the central coast for a few days and thankfully the air quality there was listed as much better today. I would hate to spend three days locked up in the trailer.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Exodor wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 pm
Latest guess for clearing is Friday when rain is supposed to arrive.
Now they're saying we may get rain in the form of thunderstorms. Hopefully the rain puts out more fires than the lightning starts.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 am Hopefully the rain puts out more fires than the lightning starts.
You have managed to summarize 2020 quite nicely.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The Bobcat fire has grown quite a bit. It's heading north across the mountains to the Antelope Valley area. I'm southeast of it, so that doesn't sound threatening. But I wouldn't have thought it was going to threaten Antelope Valley either. I'm not worried really, but this being 2020 and all...if it starts to move east I'm leaving the country. I know no one wants Americans to go to their country so I'll have to commandeer a boat and just hit the high seas.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You are actually closer to the eastern part of the fire and I'm closer on the western part, although Santa Clarita hasn't been given an evacuation warning. It seems to be following the path of the Stanton fire which fortunately didn't damage much property while burning over 200K acres. The Stanton fire grew to as large as it did because the Forest Service decided to 'save money' by not putting helicopters on the wildfire when it was small. That fire cost me (living in Pasadena right on top of it) a ton of money as I had to run the a/c on recirc nearly constantly so we could go to bed and expect to wake up in the morning. Don't know what caused the Bobcat fire but I'm sure they'll do an investigation.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I use the ac a lot these days because it does seem to help indoors air quality, especially on bad days. The sky is not looking too bad today so maybe things are improving.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We're getting smoke haze from the western fires here locally.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

rapid air quality improvement here in the past hour - should be within the 'good' zone in an hour or so.
Once the air quality improves to be “moderate” or “good” the state Department of Health’s air quality program staff suggests:

Windows should be opened for at least 15 minutes.
Clean hard surfaces with plain soap and water, dust with a dry or damp microfiber cloth and try and use a vacuum with a HEPA filter. Vacuuming without one can send dust into the air.
now i have to do housework on top of all that....
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

East Troublesome Fire.

GRAND COUNTY, Colo. — The East Troublesome Fire, burning in Grand County, burned aggressively overnight and into Thursday and surpassed 125,000 acres. Wednesday afternoon that fire was just about 24,000 acres.

"We never expected 6,000 acres per hour to come upon our community," said Grand County Sheriff Brett Schroetlin.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, East Troublesome is looking very not good. RMNP had to reopen Trail Ridge Road to help evacuees get out last night.

2020 was already its own era in Colorado fire history before this one lit, and will now just dominate any future charts. Until 2021, at least.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
A fast-moving, wind-whipped wildfire left two firefighters critically injured and forced about 60,000 residents of a Southern California suburb to evacuate on Monday, while huge swaths of the Golden State went without power in an effort to prevent more flames, officials said.

The firefighters, ages 26 and 31, were injured while battling the Silverado Fire, which had charred at least 4,000 acres in and around the community of Irvine, southeast of Los Angeles, the Orange County Fire Authority said.

The firefighters — two of about 500 trying to contain the out-of-control blaze — suffered second- and third-degree burns across 65 percent and 50 percent of their bodies, the authority said. Both were intubated.
Close to 60,000 people, living in 20,000 homes, are in range of the fire and were ordered to evacuate. Firefighters are dealing with steady winds of between 20 mph and 30 mph, gusting up to 65 mph, authorities said.

The University of California, Irvine, shut down all campus activities shortly before 11 a.m. PT.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

One of the fires is within 10 miles. Can smell the smoke, but so far no evacuation. :?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Out of the ashes, faith in humanity!
9-year-old SF Giants fanatic loses baseball cards in Creek Fire; San Jose man gives her 25,000-card collection
The Creek Fire took the Osterbergs’ home and Reese’s baseball card collection, including her prized Buster Posey card, but Cal Fire stepped in to help
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

People point to global warming or climate change as the big problem with fires but when you look at the areas threatened by most fires they are areas that have people that in years past wouldn't have. The hills around LA have been tinder boxes for my whole lifetime but houses weren't built on them or up to the edges 50 years ago. Now they are.

Sure there are droughts but California is a land of droughts, always has been. But now people and buildings are endangered by the fires when in the past there would have been nothing there but scrub brush and pines, or oaks.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:18 pm People point to global warming or climate change as the big problem with fires but when you look at the areas threatened by most fires they are areas that have people that in years past wouldn't have. The hills around LA have been tinder boxes for my whole lifetime but houses weren't built on them or up to the edges 50 years ago. Now they are.

Sure there are droughts but California is a land of droughts, always has been. But now people and buildings are endangered by the fires when in the past there would have been nothing there but scrub brush and pines, or oaks.
That's absolutely a factor. We are building into more wilderness areas and it's coming back to bite us. That doesn't change the fact that fire season is getting worse year after year with a higher quantity of fires and increasing severity as well.