Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by hitbyambulance »

from one article:

"One surprise that many didn’t see coming, however, was the reveal of the PS5 Digital Edition, which has only helped to ramp up excitement for the release of the PS5 by this year’s holiday season."

... why would _removing_ part of the system 'ramp up excitement', derrrrr

and no word on if the 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive will be able to play CDs, this time
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:01 pm ... why would _removing_ part of the system 'ramp up excitement', derrrrr
Because lots (most?) people don't use physical media any more and it's $100 less?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:01 pm from one article:

"One surprise that many didn’t see coming, however, was the reveal of the PS5 Digital Edition, which has only helped to ramp up excitement for the release of the PS5 by this year’s holiday season."

... why would _removing_ part of the system 'ramp up excitement', derrrrr

and no word on if the 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive will be able to play CDs, this time
What are "CD's"?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'll still go disc-based. I'd find myself limited in space if I were to go digital-only.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm I'll still go disc-based. I'd find myself limited in space if I were to go digital-only.
I’m confused. How would digital only require more space than disc-based?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm I'll still go disc-based. I'd find myself limited in space if I were to go digital-only.
Hard drive space, not shelf space. I assume he's saying that he'd end up with more games than could fit on the hard drive, but has plenty of physical space to store the game discs.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm
Hard drive space, not shelf space. I assume he's saying that he'd end up with more games than could fit on the hard drive, but has plenty of physical space to store the game discs.
Ah, yeah...that makes lots more sense.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm
Yes, exactly. Consider that even with a disc-based system, there are only so many games I can have installed at any given time . Add in PS+ games on top of already installed games and it adds up quickly. I'd be full-up in no time with a digital-only system, and that's with a 500GB system. At least with a disc, I have more leisure as to when and how I install them. I've had issues before where I haven't been able to install something because I didn't have enough space, with only 2 or 3 games installed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Dakar 18: Just finished stage 8. It was... messy. Keep having heavy suspension damage because the course keeps calling for going fulls peed through these semi-heavy vegetation, and you can't see the folds in the land if you go at that speed. So if you go over a bump, get some air, and end up in a valley you'll bottom out hard, and that does damage to the front radiator.

On the other hand, got no penalties this stage, despite nearly an hour of driving, just 3 minutes repair time to replace the radiator. Still came in first on the stage, which means I maintain the lead.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:01 pm ... why would _removing_ part of the system 'ramp up excitement', derrrrr
Because lots (most?) people don't use physical media any more and it's $100 less?
I've done no research at all, but I'm willing to bet that taking the entire global market into account, the majority probably do still use discs.

The "digital edition" is a cynical ploy to bribe people out of the disc market. It plays right into Sony's hands because customers would have to buy games from their store directly, cutting out 1. the second hand market, and 2. the retail market. I'm not falling for it. I don't usually buy second hand games but I certainly do buy new games at retail because it's normally significantly cheaper than buying from Sony directly.
I no longer post here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:14 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 pm
I've done no research at all, but I'm willing to bet that taking the entire global market into account, the majority probably do still use discs.

The "digital edition" is a cynical ploy to bribe people out of the disc market. It plays right into Sony's hands because customers would have to buy games from their store directly, cutting out 1. the second hand market, and 2. the retail market. I'm not falling for it. I don't usually buy second hand games but I certainly do buy new games at retail because it's normally significantly cheaper than buying from Sony directly.
It'll be very interesting to see how that shakes out this generation. Seems to me that Gamestop is really the only player in the second hand market, and they're rapidly circling the drain (for lots of reasons). I know Best Buy tried it for a while, but that experiment seems to have ended.

I moved to digital-only this year and haven't seen much of a price difference. A new game is typically $60 whether you buy it digital or retail. By the time a game hits the discount bin at retail, you can usually (but not always) find a comparable price digitally. I'd say that any difference is likely offset by how often you can get games on steep discount sales through the PSN store.

My only real gripe with going all digital is that the PS4's download speeds are atrocious. A 40GB game that takes me 30-45 minutes to download on Steam takes 3-4 hours on PS4. I have no idea why, as my speeds are the same for both. PS4 has jut always been super slow for some reason.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm stunned the second-hand market has survived for so long, especially with the publishing industry's efforts to stamp it out a couple of generations ago. To me, since Steam, a game is truly just a personal license now. And I used to be a huge proponent of the used market; but the reality is that with the PC digital market's rapid discounting and sales you hardly miss it. Mind you, I rarely buy new, and I haven't owned a console since the Wii. I know that the console digital marketplaces are more restrictive. But paying Gamestop et al. $5 less for a used copy of the latest release never made much sense.

I do seriously miss shopping for used games in-store and online anywhere from the SNES era straight through PS2/Gamecube though. It was like a treasure hunt. I remember when a copy of Xenogears finally turned up at my local indie store, etc. You could of course also trade and buy PC games used in those days, presuming you trusted the integrity of the CD keys (and I never had a problem). Trading games by mail in the late era of GG/early days of OO was so much fun.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I don't really think Sony needs to do anything to kill the second hand market anymore. That happened as a side effect of the digital market already.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I tried to hold on to the disc-based mentality, but now I just get irritated when I have to get back up to switch discs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Maybe it's different in the US, but here the second hand market is thriving and third party retail is almost always cheaper than direct from Sony. The £90 disc drive will easily pay for itself before long.
I no longer post here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:58 am I tried to hold on to the disc-based mentality, but now I just get irritated when I have to get back up to switch discs.
I forgot what discs were until I went to install Diablo 2 a few weeks ago. I had to swap between the three CDs about forty-nine times during installation, and even then the bloody drive wouldn't shut up while I was trying to play.

I registered the key on Battle.net and now I'll never have to touch one of those strange reflective circles again, and I can re-forget the strange tray that slides out of my PC like something in a booby-trapped tomb.

Paradroid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am Maybe it's different in the US, but here the second hand market is thriving and third party retail is almost always cheaper than direct from Sony.
Don't you buy the majority of your goods out of the trunks of cars on Sunday afternoons? It's definitely different.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am Maybe it's different in the US, but here the second hand market is thriving and third party retail is almost always cheaper than direct from Sony. The £90 disc drive will easily pay for itself before long.
Both are true in the US as well. I generally get discs because they are generally cheaper and I can pass them on to someone else when I am done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am trunks of cars
(it's called a boot)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:47 pm
Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am trunks of cars
(it's called a boot)
You are correct, sir!
I no longer post here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying different games still. Decided to try "Phoning Home", a game about two robots trying to solve the mystery of the planet they "crashed" on, by basically grabbing everything that's not nailed down to build stuff to repair stuff. Feels like it's for kids, as so far, it's just a lot of walking about (or in case of this robot, hovering, as he moves on a bit of anti-grav jet) and so far I've seen exactly ONE enemy. There are some interesting puzzles, like you get the use of a "teleporter" but it requires two "metal objects" to project portals to, but it's basically run around, collecting random ****, building some repair kits if you are running out of health or jump fuel.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need an off game to play during my STO breaks. I finished RAGE 2 and that was pretty fun. Neither Rebel Galaxy Outlaw or Vampyr filled the bill. I tried both about an hour and decided the controls and complexity of them was too great for now. Ive loaded AC Syndicate for the 6th time but it doesn't feel like it will stick this time either. I get that first area of the city done and I just never feel like expanding onward. I dont know why. It seems a good game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Did another stage at Dakar. At least this one gave me enough warning, and it's a 50 kph zone, not 30.

Kept playing Phoning home. It's... Weird? The law of physics sort of but not quite applies in this world.
Spoiler:
I was supposed to rescue a different bot, designation ANI. It doesn't have lifter jets, so if she fell somewhere, she probably can't get out. And last traced location shows a portal... In the middle of a Pterodactyl nest? Had to shoot the Pterodactyl a couple times with my photon zapper to drive it off, so I can jump up and pass through the portal.

And ended up in the huge cave. And sure enough, ANI is stuck in location she can't get out. I need to build an "attractor" (tractor beam?) So I wandered the cave and found enough materials to do that, Built that, went back... Pointed the attractor at her and fired. Nothing. Hmmm...

Jumped down to her level. Tried again. This time the tractor beam... I mean attractor worked. Then I hit jump, and voila, she came along with me. No momentum at all.

She said there's an exit at so and so. So I lead her there. NOTHING. The exit is clearly FAR ABOVE us that we can't see it. And there are no "platforms" or such to jump on. It's cave, after all.

And there were no further clues. That's how obtuse these puzzles are. ARGH.

EDIT: Walkthru says I have to jump. I'll see how that goes...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tried that game a couple times. Never get far. Just to find her or her ship.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 pm Tried that game a couple times. Never get far. Just to finder her or her ship.
Same here. Found her in a cave, she said we can get out at the "junk yard", but no obvious way out. Jumped, but didn't see any way out "yet". Walkthru says there is a way out so I need to jump up all the way out, then do a teleport deploy which will grab her. Heh...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I put away video games... for like a whole week, maybe two, but probably not... and then I picked up Renowned Explorers again. I uncovered and finished the last of the hidden achievements. I think I'm maybe 25 achievements away from getting them all. If I take the time to do that, it will be a first for me. The last time I came close was with CivVI where I was playing each civilization. I was getting close to finishing the chain but then they started releasing over priced DLC (what was something like another $12 to add Australia) and I set the game down and never picked it back up but I might just do it for Renowned Explorers. Something in its simplicity appeals to me. Though if I were younger, I'd have memorized the adventure nodes, the shops, the research, and the entourage choices by now and I'd be bored.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think the only game I ever 100%'d on was Borderlands 2. Until they went and added a bunch more.

Yes, I'm still bitter.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well AC Syndicate still isn't grabbin me even on my 6th or 7th try. Its either the travel or the lack of guidance or perhaps the repeated and long load times. Not sure. But I need to try yet another game to see if it will click.

Ok so Batman games. loved and finish Arkham Asylum. Loved and finished Arkham City. But I own both Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight and ive tried both about 3 times. I cant get into either. Maybe its because the feel is off because they are made by a different company. I just dont know. Ar the last two just bad games or am I missing something? Should I give them another go? Is there one I should skip?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Origins is a completely mediocre game that manages to mix 'more of the same' with a weak story. Unless you're a die-hard Batman fan, it's skippable. I've yet to play Arkham Knight, although it is on my short list.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven’t payed attention to the genre in ages, but find myself in the mood for a city builder, preferably a medieval one.

Any recommendations?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:46 pm I haven’t payed attention to the genre in ages, but find myself in the mood for a city builder, preferably a medieval one.

Any recommendations?
I'd suggest going with a much-improved notalgic classic, namely Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.

It includes five separate expansions, four of which were originally made by talented fans, with the latest one made in 2016, and a surprising amount of brand new content. Granted, it is an RTS, but there’s definitely more building involved than most, with placement of castles, walls, towers, and production buildings forming a major part of any game. And the satisfaction of neatly walling off one's settlement and fending off an enemy rush never gets old.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know how long ago 'ages' is, but I've heard good things about both Northgard and Banished. I haven't personally played either.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve played AOE2, really looking for something that focuses on the city building aspect. I enjoy city building, but do not enjoy managing RTS combat one bit.

Will check out Northgard and Banished. Hearing good things about Foundations as well, but it’s still in EA, so that’s probably a no-go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:37 pm Will check out Northgard and Banished. Hearing good things about Foundations as well, but it’s still in EA, so that’s probably a no-go.
I played a Northgard free-weekend demo as it was on my list, and I didn't enjoy it. It felt more like an AoE style game and not really a city builder. I didn't get very far, though.

This is on my list as well, but I haven't tried it.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Turns out I own Banished, played it for an hour a few years ago.

So I guess that’ll be first up.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Kingdoms and Castles is a lovely little game. More of a casual city builder but there are just enough building options to differentiate it from a mobile port, and it does get more difficult as you progress. It punches above its weight in my opinion. Also the post-release support was great, with loads more stuff being added for free.
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:47 pm Turns out I own Banished, played it for an hour a few years ago.

So I guess that’ll be first up.
I think thats the one I wanted a lot then somehow I got it and I think I played about an hour too. Unlike most city builders where you tell your guys to build something they actually do it. Here it seems really much more sim'ish or something . I had the village build a couple houses. Or I told them to. They got to work with trees and such but only got one house done by winter and most of them froze to death so kept trying and kept getting the same result. I left lol. May go back someday . If Im not in a hurry I suppose.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have Banished as well. Couldn't really get into it. Almost feels as if I'm just doing supply chain management most of the time. A bit like... Stronghold series. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, tried Banished again. Definitely looking for something a little less complex.

Will give Kingdoms & Castles a shot.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for either, but I just remembered this:

Maybe next year, maybe no go