Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by jztemple2 »

See this character? He's a Sultan, has a nice Sultanate with holdings in southwest France and northern Spain. Sadly, the former happens to be adjacent to my lands in France and even worse, two of his sheikhdoms happen to be within the de jure part of the Duchy of Gascogne, which I hold. Casus belli time! :D

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another war as predicted above, a de jure claim for my Duchy of Gascogne. We win and Ireland gets bigger!

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:10 pm Did you play the tutorial as the Irish? How different is playing the leader of Mongolia?
I played to the end of the main tutorial, but not beyond that. I'd say the main difference is that as a tribal society, it's so easy to start a war. So incredibly easy. Wars everywhere, which means constant pressure to produce children to marry off the form alliances that can save your sking. But only daughters! Because confederate partition means that no matter how much land you grab, it will be split among your sons.

It's kind of nuts.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Freyland wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 am I'm feeling ignorant at the moment. How often did Holy Wars happen between European countries? I mean, i get they may not have like each other for religious reasons, but weren't European wars largely fought for territorial claims, real or fabricated?
I think the biggest one was the crusade against the Cathars in southern France (1209-1229)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albigensian_Crusade

The Lollard and Waldensian heresies also fall into the time period although the Hussites are just after it I think. Like some other things the game makes fighting against other Christian rulers over heresy more common than it really was there is some basis in reality.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scotland and the HRE are at it again, I'm looking to pick up some crumbs myself.

Meanwhile I took the county of Bearn in southwest France, a stand-alone realm that I had a De Jure claim to. My ex-courtier now holds seven counties!

And while I was finishing up that war a big peasant revolt broke out that I had to put down, and then a peasant revolt against one of my vassals. I don't know what people are so unhappy :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And just like that, I take another independent county in southern France, although this time I just vasselize it. Ireland stretches more and more north to south.

Here's my area of concern, or maybe of opportunity. The Hudid can raise maybe half the forces I have. And I now have the HRE as my ally :D as well as a major vassal of the King of the Danelaw.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Didwhat?

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:31 am Didwhat?
?????

Another holy war, another duchy seized, another lowly courtier plucked from obscurity and giving a duchy and two holdings within it. Ireland continues to grow in size. Hmm, I notice France is starting to come back to life.

And I just noticed that I now have over 1800 screenshots :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hudid...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

They just don't make courtiers like they used to. The one I brought up from hanging around the castle, gave him a dukedom and a couple of holdings, well, he went and died on me. The strain I guess. And while holding three ducal titles is giving my vassals a -15 opinion of me, each also has a +36 from my Personal Diplomacy, so this time I'm keeping the extra two holdings and the ducal title. I'd be off to war anyway, but I've burned through a lot of money. And all those holy wars I've called have eaten away almost all my piety; weird that waging war for the faith takes away my piety :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

What the hell...?

Enlarge Image
High King John II, 36
Played: 1271-1274 (3 years)
You have died
High King John II of Ireland rests in the arms of the Lord at 36 years of age. He was murdered by you. A charming man, he became famous for
his elaborate feasts and grandiose balls.
I was murdered... by me? How awesome was I? It took me to kill myself.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is bad, very bad. I figured out how I murdered myself. The old king was murdered by his elected heir! So now High King Ercåed, all of twenty years old, inherited one war, a minor one, where he surrendered one county to end it. Now he has an uprising by a vassal on the Irish island but the opponent doesn't have enough troops to beat me, thankfully. However, there also an uprising by a populist faction in southern France and they have a big army and look to take six counties from me. Things are looking grim...
Isgrimnur

Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by Isgrimnur »

Patricide or regicide usually doesn’t make things easier.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:33 pm Patricide or regicide usually doesn’t make things easier.
I'm labeled as a kinslayer, so it's not that I murdered a member of my family, it's that people found about it :doh:. Things are looking up a bit, I didn't notice that my wife was pregnant so as soon as I had an offspring the little tike was betrothed to a major power. It is still going to be tough as there are already a half dozen factions gaining power. Since I had three dukedoms I made one vassal happier by granting the title. I still need to use my Intrigue Lifestyle to get folks to like me more.

I have over seventy-five hours in the game so far and it is still throwing surprises at me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:32 pm Image
BTW, Mongolia has all gone completely to hell in the 24 hours since I posted this image. Just disintegrating into chaos.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That great war in the south of France has cost me a couple of counties, but with money running out and the enemy hiring mercenaries, which don't show up on the War page in the troop count, I had no choice but to surrender in that war. So I have lost some land there, but on my ascension to the throne I picked up a vassal with a couple of counties in Spain.

Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Is that a bug that shows you murdering yourself? Is this a standard Paradox title that needs 6-8 months to be patched up?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Citizen wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:08 pm Is that a bug that shows you murdering yourself? Is this a standard Paradox title that needs 6-8 months to be patched up?
It was his 'next in line' that killed the character he was playing... and since he became the next in line, it was telling him that the person who murdered his old character was, him: his current character.

The King Is Dead, Long Live the King!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:15 pm
Citizen wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:08 pm Is that a bug that shows you murdering yourself? Is this a standard Paradox title that needs 6-8 months to be patched up?
It was his 'next in line' that killed the character he was playing... and since he became the next in line, it was telling him that the person who murdered his old character was, him: his current character.

The King Is Dead, Long Live the King!
Exactly right! It's not a bug, just semantics. My new character did murder my previous character.

Also, in the article I posted a few posts above about bastard children, it notes that just because you have been told a child is a bastard, etc., does not mean it is true. In fact my current character just unlocked the ability to fabricate hooks by making up secrets to tell other characters. I just hope he lives long enough for me to enjoy playing him!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

As High King Ercåed mac Barrfhind of Ireland, all of 28 years old, I must be setting the new level of intimidation among Irish Kings. I have a dread of 78 and almost ever vassal is terrified, or as the game shows it, Terrified, of me. I am a Murderer, a Dynastic Kinslayer and a Drunkard. And those are my good traits! <rimshot>. I'm also Callous, Arrogant and Ambitious. I'm roleplaying the heck out of the part. I Fabricated a claim to take a county of Scotland, they have so little left now anyway :wink:. And while at war with Scotland I got a call from an ally who needed help on the continent, they were being attacked or something. I said sure, no point in losing ten opinion points of me. And so as soon as my own war of conquest was done, I disbanded my army :twisted:. Why waste money keeping an army intact to help an ally?

The latest map of Ireland. I'm expecting a peasant revolt in counties in southern France and in Spain, but I'll crush those when they occur in about a year and a half.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Two quick updates from the Evil Court of High King Ercåed. I just put to death one of my prisoners who because he was of a religion hostile to mine, allowed me to do it without being labeled as a tyrant. I burned him at the stake :twisted:

And my wife is pregnant again! 8-)

UPDATE: I've fallen ill. My court physician was called and made me worst. I notice that he has a -50 opinion of me. Hmm, maybe he didn't do as good a job of getting me better than he could have. I have him killed. I gain less of a penalty by having him killed than throwing him in prison. But I gain 12 dread, so there's an upside!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

All isn't going swimming for a hated king. Duchess Condal sent me a box of money, but when I put my hand in there I felt ill! I'm now have a Severe Health Penalty for seven years. I could try to imprison the Duchess but she has a large army and if I fail she would rise up in rebellion along with likely half the vassals. Nope, I've started a murder scheme against her. I had to spend 125 gold to get another agent to join the scheme, but the success probabilities are very good.

I also had problems with yet another arch-bishop. Just because I fabricated a hook on him, he started preaching against me from his pulpit. How ungrateful! I had him killed, which is viewed as an act of Tyranny, but since I'm such a bad guy anyway this only caused change of -8 in everyone's opinion of me.

A neighbor in southern France started a war against me. I had to call on my allies, whom I let do all the heavy carrying :wink: and ended up winning the war which netted me almost five hundred gold! I'm now flush with money. And the ruler of Provence contacted me and offered an alliance even though there won't be any marriages between us. How nice!

Did I mention that my Piety actually went into negative numbers? The pope is really not happy with me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Where's Scotland? :D

Speaking of the powers that are holding what used to be called Scotland, I waged war against the Holy Roman Empire to grab a county up there away from them. The HRE is pretty easy meat right now, they have a bank balance of -775 :shock: and a Piety of -129 (and they call me evil). Me, I've got three allies to call upon. Of course two of them turned me down cold since they hate me :roll: but the Duchess of Valois, with whom I am allied by no fewer than three marriages(!) (how did that happen?) sent plenty of troops. So I gained a new holding and Ireland's power grows. Oh, and somehow I got Devon back again as part of Ireland, apparently one of my vassals went to war again their liege and took it back.

UPDATE: Ireland now:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wars and marriages, and my kingdom grows and grows. I hold more of Scotland, what isn't held by the Moray, the Danelaw or the HRE. And if you look towards what will someday be Holland and the northern part of Germany, you'll see two green blotches, those are more lands under my domain.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

All sorts of things going on. My wife was getting on in years and I needed some new fertile ground to plow :twisted: so she met with an "accident" in the woods. I've now taken a much younger wife.

Since then, I concluded my first abduction this evening.
Enlarge Image

I wasn't sure what value an abduction would be worth. Weirdly, while doing all sorts of evil things gets negative opinions about me from everyone, abduction doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow, even though supposedly everyone knows I did the abduction. However, what I can do once I have done an abduction is banish my new prisoner.
Enlarge Image

According to the pop-up:
Banishment
Imprisoned Characters can be Banished from the Realm, which is arguably the harshest form of punishment. Banished Landed Rulers are deposed, while Banished Courtiers have their assets seized.

Banishment without a reason (e.g. some severe Crime) is considered extremely Tyrannical.
And so I banished her and her titles passed to various vassals, none of whom constitute a threat to me. Very nice. I do pick up a -4 opinion from everyone for doing a banishment, but by now single digit negative modifiers don't even make the daily castle newsletter.

And another ruler I'm not related to by marriage proposes an alliance, and I accept. Who needs kids to marry off! :D
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sadly, my old very evil but very fun to play king died (due to natural causes complications related to obesity!) and my new, dull, bookish king has taken over. His new vassals are ready to take his kingdom from him.
Enlarge Image
High King Ercåed of Ireland rests in the arms of the Lord at 53 years of age. He died from complications related to obesity. Known to have stained his hands in the blood of his own kin, he is surely paying for his horrific crimes in hell.

High King Fuacarta ascends to the throne. Having mastered many skills, he is sure to be admired by his subjects.
He ascended directly into two wars which he managed to resolve successfully but it took a lot of cash. Now to make the vassals happy...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ten years into the reign of High King Fuacarta. During this time he's faced several peasant rebellions, all of which failed. He launched two offensive wars to gain counties and came to the assistance of allies a couple of times as well. Unlike his predecessor he honors his alliances! Sadly High King Fuacarta is Shy and so hosting a feast, while improving the opinion of his vassals, doesn't lower his stress. Instead he occasionally has become a Reclusive to relieve his stress. He has three grown children and there probably won't be any more; his wife, who is 44, was recently pregnant but miscarried. But Fuacarta is not a man who would cheat on his wife (or so I've decided) which means no more children. He does aim to increase the Renown of his Dynasty, unlike his predecessor!

High King Fuacarta is the founder of House hEochadha, whose motto is "I Heal". Unlike his predecessor whose motto must have been "I Am A Heel" :D

The current realm of Ireland, including those two bits in Central Europe, the duchy in northern Spain and more and more of Scotland.

By the way, are folks still reading this thread, essential my in-progress AAR? I'm having a good time posting these updates so for those lurkers out there, enjoy!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Man, those Irish are getting seriously beefy.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm still reading. Until I finish Wasteland 3 I can't make myself get into CK3 but I enjoy watching you do it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am keeping up with it and enjoying it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the replies! The story of the High Kings of Ireland continues...

It has been another six years, with three disastrous wars. I joined a war in Central Europe to support an ally. While there another nearby ally wanted help and since my army was already there, I said "sure". And then not much later, that county I somehow acquired in the center of what will become Germany in a few hundred years became the target of a take-over attempt. My army seemed strong enough, till I got a look at the enemy forces :shock:. I spent seven hundred gold for a two thousand strong mercenary unit but by the time it arrived my army was crushed and out of supplies. I marched it to friendly territory and waited for the supplies to build up (understanding army logistics in this game is crucial if you're going to go wandering around the map with huge hordes). By that time one of the allies had lost his war. I decided that my one little county in the middle of all those enemies wasn't worth the trouble so I surrendered it and disbanded my army. Eventually the other ally won his war, from which I got a little prestige, but not worth the cost. My mercenaries eventually timed out and disbanded without ever having fought :roll:

So now I'm just waiting for August of 1323 when I'll be strong enough to go attack the Scots once more and grab some more territory.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's a great day for the Irish! I conquered another county in Scotland and having that under my control meant that I could Usurp the Kingdom of Alba. This is a view of the De Jure Kingdoms in the British Isles.

So I now hold the titles to Kingdom of Ireland, Kingdom of Aquitaine and Kingdom of Alba, woo-hoo! Who's next in my crosshairs? :lol:

UPDATE: By the way, it's great being Catholic. Have a decent amount of Piety and you can repeatedly ask the Pope for money!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

So, after about 280 years of the de Hauteville family dynasty, I managed to become dual Emperor (Emperor of Italia and Emperor of Britannia), have about 15 King titles, and enough levies to overwhelm basically any enemy (revolts are a lot less frequent). One thing I learned is that, although the Learning Tree does not offer the same tangible benefits of the other skill trees, the Medicine/Health tree allows your monarch to consistently live close to 80, which gives huge stability and realm control benefits (particularly until you get sole succession laws). It is a great secondary tree.

My kingdom is Italia:

I was also able to get those breakaway parts of the HRE vassalized diplomatically, given my proximity and investment in the diplomacy tree. My Emperor here, Arcibaldo, was godly in that he started his reign as a minor and lived to be near 80. That is a LOT of time to get skills. I was also able to conquer all of Ireland as well.

Emperor of Britannia:

Emperor of Italia:

I am kind of done with this run I think. I have about 100 years left until the end of the game, and I could take his Arcibaldo's heir (his grandson, Valerian II) to see if I could eventually gobble up the rest of the HRE. I might just call it a glorious day and try my hand as the King of Abyssinia.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dual emperor? Wow, much respect! :clap:

I’ve got about ninety hours in the game right now and with two new games I’ve been looking forward to coming out at the end of the week I think I’ll just wrap up with my current dynasty and wait a while before starting a new dynasty.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some folks might find useful information in this article (I did): Crusader Kings 3 knights guide - recruitment, management, and prowess

Excerpt:
Knights are the elite fighters in your Crusader Kings 3 army, often acting as a turning point for you in battles against weaker foes. They have various names, like Fāris, Shoorveers, Champions, or Baghaturs, but throughout the game knights are the same. Here’s how to recruit more knights, and all the things they’re useful for.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I tried what was suggested in the article, sending a knight whom you wish to get killed out by himself to do battle against an enemy, but sadly he didn't get killed, just ran away (inset appropriate Monty Python video clip :D). Well, there's always another war :wink:

I've run into one of those conundrums when you are trying to role play the game. My current ruler is a pretty nice guy, doing well, and is up there on the levels of Piety. However, one of my favorite vassals has been caught messing around. If I just give him a wink and a nod (again, Monty Python) I lose a level of Devotion. If I call in the guards I keep my Devotion level but my vassal thinks less of me. Well, he should have kept it in his braies!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

vudid
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:54 amHudid...
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:04 pm vudid
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:54 amHudid...
Enlarge Image
Although I recognize "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" I just can't place the Hudid reference.

By the way, Shirley Temple was a babe once she quit being a babe, if you get what I mean :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another war of conquest, to take the duchy of Albany in Scotland. No problem since I have an army of over fourteen thousand. Maybe I can work out a deal with the Danelaw to get those two remaining counties I want. I could trade them Devon, again :D.