Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Playstation 5

Post by YellowKing »

That presentation only reinforced my decision to stick with Xbox this generation. It's not that there was anything wrong with it, but there were no exclusives that are must-owns for me, and technically it's going to be, at best, a draw with the Xbox.

The primary reason for going Xbox this generation is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. That has been a real game-changer in our household because there is a constant tug-of-war between me and the kids for Xbox or PC time. Game Pass helps in that if the kids are on the console I can jump to PC and vice versa. My game spending has plummeted since I went all in on that. It doesn't hurt that my handful of console-owning friends are also on Xbox.

That said, there's certainly a strong possibility I'll pick up the PS5 at some point down the road. They've historically just had the better RPG selection, and that's my favorite genre. Once they get a decent stable of exclusives in that genre, I'll jump over.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 pm I wasn’t super impressed by most of the showcase that I saw. Most of the games looked like they could’ve been on a PS4 and they didn’t announce a release date or a price (the latter wasn’t too surprising). And except for HZD, there wasn’t one game I’m really interested in. I’m sure there will be more, but this showcase left me pretty unexcited.
That was my impression as well. Certainly nothing paradigm shifting like one of the presenters claimed. Too many cartoony, stylized, indie looking games for me. I know it's early and the big AAA titles will take a while. That said, I'll still probably get it by beginning of the year depending on how many of my backlog titles are backwards compatible.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:28 pm That presentation only reinforced my decision to stick with Xbox this generation. It's not that there was anything wrong with it, but there were no exclusives that are must-owns for me, and technically it's going to be, at best, a draw with the Xbox.

The primary reason for going Xbox this generation is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. That has been a real game-changer in our household because there is a constant tug-of-war between me and the kids for Xbox or PC time. Game Pass helps in that if the kids are on the console I can jump to PC and vice versa. My game spending has plummeted since I went all in on that. It doesn't hurt that my handful of console-owning friends are also on Xbox.

That said, there's certainly a strong possibility I'll pick up the PS5 at some point down the road. They've historically just had the better RPG selection, and that's my favorite genre. Once they get a decent stable of exclusives in that genre, I'll jump over.
I can't believe you watched that and came away with sony not having enough exclusives. Spiderman, horizon, ratchet and clank and grand turismo are all going to be awesome.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Scraper wrote:I can't believe you watched that and came away with sony not having enough exclusives. Spiderman, horizon, ratchet and clank and grand turismo are all going to be awesome.
Enough exclusives that were must owns *for me*. While I'm definitely interested in Horizon, I don't care anything about Ratchet & Clank or Gran Turismo, and Spider-man I can take or leave.

To be fair, the only big exclusive for Xbox Series X that I'm interested in is Halo: Infinite, so exclusives aren't necessarily going to be the deciding factor for me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

HZD and more Final Fantasy VII Remake are the primary system sellers for me.

HZD was easily the best game of this console generation, and is one of the few games I can say that I would buy a console just to play more of. I’m 100% in with what they’re doing with VII as well, so PS5 is a no-brainer for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The Last of Us Part II and whatever else Naughty Dog is working on, the next God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, and the next Yakuza are all big considerations for me.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If I digitally purchase Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima for the PS4 this summer, will I automatically also have the PS5 version available to download and play if/when I buy a PS5? Or is that going to be a separate "ultimate edition" or whatever I would need to buy again once the PS5 comes out?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm If I digitally purchase Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima for the PS4 this summer, will I automatically also have the PS5 version available to download and play if/when I buy a PS5? Or is that going to be a separate "ultimate edition" or whatever I would need to buy again once the PS5 comes out?
Good question. My guess is that if there is a PS5 enhanced version of a PS4 game, you'll have to buy that. However, it's pretty likely your digital library will be backwards compatible and will run at a boosted frequency.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm guessing that those being end-gen releases, it will be like when GTA5 and Last of Us were released as remasters. Although given backwards compatibility, it's possible they'll have those in the list. I'm guessing it's also highly dependent on the publisher. Rockstar will most likely want people to buy a new copy with new versions and will eventually stop supporting current versions just like they did with last-gen versions of the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 pm
wonderpug wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm If I digitally purchase Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima for the PS4 this summer, will I automatically also have the PS5 version available to download and play if/when I buy a PS5? Or is that going to be a separate "ultimate edition" or whatever I would need to buy again once the PS5 comes out?
Good question. My guess is that if there is a PS5 enhanced version of a PS4 game, you'll have to buy that. However, it's pretty likely your digital library will be backwards compatible and will run at a boosted frequency.
Apparently people who have the PS4 version of GTAV will be getting the PS5 version for free.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The controller memes are getting fun.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

PS5 pricing is out.

$399.99 for the digital only version, $499.99 for the version with the disc drive, allowing you to play 4K BluRay movies and games you own on disc.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Quoting myself from randomness:
coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 pm yes please (disc version)... and since I will be busy with pc gaming (Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed) for most of November and December my wife can even put it under the tree for me.
Also, Nov 12 release date, was it?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yep.

Final Fantasy XVI announced and a tease for the new God of War.

Was hoping for some PS Now news.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 pm Was hoping for some PS Now news.
Sounded to me like that's likely getting folded into the new PS+ service. The announced that there would be a bunch of AAA PS4 titles available with a PS+ subscription.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd be surprised if they combined them at this point. I think the collection is just a way for them to provide more titles to play at launch.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pre-orders at most retailers already dropped and were dead in about an hour!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 pm Pre-orders at most retailers already dropped and were dead in about an hour!
I received an email from Best Buy at 8:30 last night that preorders were up. I logged into their app no later than 8:32 and I didn't get one. I also tried amazon, gamestop, walmart and target all before 9:00 pm eastern time and no luck.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm happy to keep chugging along with my old PS4 for a while and wait out the rush. But I'm pretty excited about getting a new PS5 eventually. I hope my PS4 pinball game will be compatible since I bought a ridiculous amount of tables for that game to pass the time during the pandemic.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 am I'm happy to keep chugging along with my old PS4 for a while and wait out the rush. But I'm pretty excited about getting a new PS5 eventually.
That's probably where I'm at as well. I'll keep an eye out for a PS5 and will be thrilled if I somehow manage to grab one, but won't make any special effort or pay inflated prices for one.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have somehow managed to buy every single Playstation system on launch day. The 5 might be the one that breaks that streak. Online ordering has just really killed the ability for the average joe to get one when pre-orders go live.

Prior to the 5 the PS2 was the toughest one to get at launch. They had such limited inventory. But I had a buddy who worked in inventory at a local Target and he set one aside for me. The PS3 I scored at a small local retailer. They got 8 of them in on launch day and I was literally the only one there to buy one the morning of launch. The PS4 I was able to pre-order from Amazon and got it on launch day. This time Amazon sold out in about 2 minutes.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

And its going to turn that many were bots...setting up flips on Ebay. I worked with a guy at CME who did this with sneakers. The high end sneakers. He had botnets that would grab as many pairs as he could get on launch and then flip them. He eventually quit working and his job was flipping pre-orders.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Preorders were crazy last night. Walmart and Target sold out in maybe 20 minutes. GameStop’s site crashed and Best Buy had all sorts of issues on their site. I managed to snag one on Amazon when it went live around 11:45 EDT. They haven’t provided an estimated shipping date yet but they don’t charge until it ships, so that’s fine.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote:I have somehow managed to buy every single Playstation system on launch day. The 5 might be the one that breaks that streak. Online ordering has just really killed the ability for the average joe to get one when pre-orders go live.

Prior to the 5 the PS2 was the toughest one to get at launch. They had such limited inventory. But I had a buddy who worked in inventory at a local Target and he set one aside for me. The PS3 I scored at a small local retailer. They got 8 of them in on launch day and I was literally the only one there to buy one the morning of launch. The PS4 I was able to pre-order from Amazon and got it on launch day. This time Amazon sold out in about 2 minutes.
Could be a blessing in disguise, given the higher incidence of chip failures driving the production shortages. Think RRoD.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I just got one on Wal-Mart.com. theyve been updating the site since 9 with new consoles. They sell out in 2 minutes, then they wait and put more up.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

A little bit of insight on how I secured my pre-order from Wal-Mart:

At 9:00 pm last night they put more pre-orders up live. I knew this was going to happen so I logged onto their site, made sure my info and billing was all correct and then waited. at 9 pm exactly I was able to add one to my basket, but in the time it took for me to add it to my basket and complete the check out process they were already out of PS5s. This was literally less than 2 minutes.

So then I decided to get email notifications when they would have more available. (It's on option on the pre-order page). About 30 minutes later I received an email saying they were available again. I immediately went back to their webpage with my old pre-order basket. This gave me an error saying they were still out of stock even after a refresh. On a hunch I emptied my basket and closed the walmart page in my browser. I then clicked the link in my email and at that point I was able to order one no problem.

I don't know if they are directing you to a special site with the email or not, or if my old basket messed it up, but as soon as I cleared it and re-entered exclusively from the email button I was good.

Hopefully this works for other people here as well.

Now on to reserving the Xbox SX on the 22nd.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Hmm I may opt for the cheaper one as I'm not so sure Gamestop will be around in a couple of years for used games anyway. Price is pretty much exactly what I expected and I think it will sell fine at that price.

Wonder if my steering wheel will work on it. I imagine it will.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I went for the disc drive version since I have certainly saved well ever $100 on games for the PS4 by buying them used. A few I've gotten from Gamestop but for the most part I have gotten them from Gamefly, who has sales pretty regularly. Digital sales are great, but they usually can't match the price of used disc versions of the game.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So will ps4 disks be backwards compatible? If so the disk one makes way more sense and I can just sell the ps4.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I believe that PS4 discs will work on the PS5.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cool a year from now when I can get one retail I'll probably get the more expensive one then. The damn Ebay flipping is so bad now. :(

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:00 am Hmm I may opt for the cheaper one as I'm not so sure Gamestop will be around in a couple of years for used games anyway. Price is pretty much exactly what I expected and I think it will sell fine at that price.
I was thinking this too, but then decided I'd also use it as a Blu-Ray drive.

PS4 discs will definitely work on the PS5, which was also a factor for me deciding on the non-digital.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I can't remember how early I got my PS4, but I feel like it was early for Bloodborne. This generation, I'm going to try to hold out until the spring. It's easier to do when no pre-orders can be found.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I didn't buy my PS4 Pro until God of War was released... probably won't buy either new console until there's an exclusive I can't play another way. I just don't see the graphical improvement yet to warrant an upgrade, and a lot of big games are seeing dual releases initially (with free upgrades to next-gen versions).

Last edited by disarm on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think we got my PS4 in July 2017. Maaaayby 2016 but pretty sure 2017....(2015 maybe lol) Played Destiny and the Uncharted series for the first stuff. Love that series. I have no plans to ever buy another console in my life even if I had the money.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My PS4 was a preorder that I got for the kids for Christmas the year it came out. I had it sitting in the closet for six weeks waiting for Christmas morning. This time I honestly won't be able to get a next-gen console, probably not for a while. It's just to hard to get time on the TV these days, as Michelle usually has it during my free hours. What I really need is a new TV, which would let me put the old one in the bedroom.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

There definitely aren’t a bunch of games at or near launch that I’m interested in (maybe the Demon Souls remake) but for me I think it’s worth it right now just for the improved load times on PS4 games. For instance, I’ve wanted to get Pillars of Eternity 2 on the PS4 but the load times are supposed interminable. If the PS5 can cut those down to say, 20 seconds, rather than a minute, that’s a probably enough to warrant a purchase of the game. And since I know I would get one within the first year anyway, why not get it right away?
Black Lives Matter
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

It's typical. This is the first next-gen launch I'm in the fortunate position of being able to get one at release without thinking about it, but I barely use consoles these days so I'm not fussed about getting one. We will get the PS5 in time, but there's no burning desire to get one right away. I'm thinking halfway through next year probably.
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I keep hearing that the Xbox outshines the PS5 this go round.