Hades

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Hades

Post by Scoop20906 »

Been playing this last few nights and was surprised there is no post up on here so...

Hades by Supergiant Games

Hades by Supergiant Games. The last game this developer put out was Pyre and while that is a super beautiful and interesting game this game takes the great art, music and style and makes a much more action based game this time out. This game is a rogue-like hack and slash. You are the son of Hades attempting to escape from Hell to the surface and to make it there you have to fight your way out. Every time you die you come back to the beginning and the path out changes so tons of good old grinding replayability. There lots of items to unlock and level up and during the whole time you in contact with the Gods of Olympus who give you boons (for only that run) which give you cool and interesting powers. There is an over reaching story and when you talk to all the characters instead of having to read the text everything is voice acted which is an improvement over Pyre. There is very little downtime as you are usually hacking and slashing your way through hell to the surface.

So far my record is 27 rooms which probably isn't that great. I've only encounter two bosses so far so I think there is still a long way to go.

The game is currently in early access but has been getting updates since January. I think they next big update is due out in 7 days. The game will retail for $24.99 but you can get it for only $9.99 until June 12th on the Epic store. I strongly advice everyone to check it out.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Skinypupy

Re: Hades

Post by Skinypupy »

This is definitely on my list, but not until it's finished.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This hits Switch today. Anyone have more detailed / recent impressions? Tempting at $25.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 am This hits Switch today. Anyone have more detailed / recent impressions? Tempting at $25.
Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't realize this was out of early access. Will grab it today and report back later.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 am This hits Switch today. Anyone have more detailed / recent impressions? Tempting at $25.
Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't realize this was out of early access. Will grab it today and report back later.
Apparently it exits early access on PC today alongside the Switch release. Looks slick to me, and the EA reviews I've read all seem to be positive.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Must not be unlocked yet...it's not showing up in the Nintendo Store. Bummer, as I actually have some time I'd be able to play today. :(

I've heard great things about it, but never wanted to take the plunge on EA. SuperGiant's other two games (Bastion & Transistor) didn't really click with me, but I like the general theme of this one better.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It just unlocked for me, and at $19.99 rather than $24.99, even! Boughtened.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Same...feedback incoming this afternoon.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I've been playing this game for what feels like over a year now in early access and I've really enjoy watching it grow as they introduced content. I recommend it if you enjoy rogue-like replays with powers and weapons. Then game encourages to experiment and an individual run generally takes an hours or two if you make it far. What they have done well is release bits of the story as you play the game an unlock new things. The characters are funny and interesting but nothing is very serious so its easy to pick up and play. You don't have to remember who is your friend and who isn't. I'm excited to see what finally happens when you escape Hades. I did it a few times (very few) and the game always ended there. So, big recommendation from me. Tons of style, great voice acting and lots of action.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Just curious, as people play this who is your favorite god to get powers from. I tend to prefer Posiden or Zeus. Also, anyone have a favorite weapon? I do best with the Gun. Can't remember its name.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm Just curious, as people play this who is your favorite god to get powers from. I tend to prefer Posiden or Zeus. Also, anyone have a favorite weapon? I do best with the Gun. Can't remember its name.
I like the bow and shield so far (just a couple runs in over lunch). Definitely enjoying the game to this point!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I tend to burn out quickly on roguelikes (the repetition gets to me) but I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far from Hades. Lots of style, excellent combat, funny and interesting dialog, and a general "fun factor".

I'm starting to piece together how things work, and am definitely looking forward to some more runs.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alright, this game is officially awesome. Oozes style, new layers keep opening up, and it's only $20.

I may have to double-dip once the PC cross-save is ready.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm
Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm Just curious, as people play this who is your favorite god to get powers from. I tend to prefer Posiden or Zeus. Also, anyone have a favorite weapon? I do best with the Gun. Can't remember its name.
I like the bow and shield so far (just a couple runs in over lunch). Definitely enjoying the game to this point!
Yeah, the bow was my first love and I got pretty good with it eventually. Its upgrade path is pretty good.

I also found on of my favorite strategies is splash damage when dashing. If you can increase the number of dashes and get a high enough splash damage it really helps with fights especially the boss battle with the hydra.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unlocked everything but the last weapon (need 3 more keys) and I've actually been partial to the starting sword so far. Seems that pure melee won't be very practical as the run gets more difficult though. I haven't quite beaten the first boss yet, but have gone from only reaching her once every 5 runs and having her wipe me in a couple hits, to reaching her nearly every time and getting her down to about 10% health. Will probably break through that barrier today.

I'm finding armor damage buffs to be the most useful so far. Being able to melt through armored enemies as quickly as regular ones is a godsend. Now if I could just avoid those stupid spike traps...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 am Unlocked everything but the last weapon
Narrator: He had not, in fact, unlocked the half of it...
I haven't quite beaten the first boss yet, but have gone from only reaching her once every 5 runs and having her wipe me in a couple hits, to reaching her nearly every time and getting her down to about 10% health. Will probably break through that barrier today.
I've nearly taken out the 2nd boss, but the first is still a challenge.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 am Unlocked everything but the last weapon
Narrator: He had not, in fact, unlocked the half of it...
:lol: "Look, you're not being a very helpful Narrator, you know."

Let me rephrase...the last one that I can see right now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:ninja:

I'm enjoying this one even more after realizing last night (in the fog of my old age--I had known this prior but completely spaced) that Greg Kasavin was the director of this game's development. He was our main collaborator at Gamespot back when BH and I were writing game guides for them.

Wonderful to see the hugely successful culmination of his jump into development.

And I have not yet gotten over just how many awesome little details this game gets right. It just keeps getting deeper and deeper, too.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They seem to do development the right way as well, as opposed to every other studio's hellish crunch-based development.

The Secret To The Success Of Bastion, Pyre, And Hades: No Forced Crunch, Yes Forced Vacations
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:10 am They seem to do development the right way as well, as opposed to every other studio's hellish crunch-based development.

The Secret To The Success Of Bastion, Pyre, And Hades: No Forced Crunch, Yes Forced Vacations
If the team hadn’t installed a series of anti-burnout failsafes while creating Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre, Hades would’ve been an endless sprint through hell.
I see what they did there.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Beat the first boss. Woo hoo!! I’m becoming partial to the Spear weapon. It’s a blast to use.

This game has a serious Disgaea vibe to it.

EDIT: And the second boss...in the same run, no less! :dance:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm loving the Aegis. Beat the first 2 bosses, the 2.5, and half the third. Had a chance to make it further but without spoiling anything I'll just say that if you stop at the wrong time, he punishes you (me) with your (you) favorite weapon.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm unsure if I'll be able to be any good at this game. Can anyone compare the dexterity needed to Diablo 3? I can play that game.
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lorini wrote:I'm unsure if I'll be able to be any good at this game. Can anyone compare the dexterity needed to Diablo 3? I can play that game.
The game is fairly forgiving of different play styles because the wide variety of weapons and powers. Even though the powers you get are random you can mostly play the game the way you enjoy doing it. But because of the random powers sometimes you might get a run with powers you thought world not work for you but do. It’s a fun way to discover the game.

Also it’s very easy to die and get right back at it and they fill the down time in between with interesting convos and choices.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lorini wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:51 am I'm unsure if I'll be able to be any good at this game. Can anyone compare the dexterity needed to Diablo 3? I can play that game.
Fairly comparable, I’d say. I’m generally terrible with action games, and I’m managing pretty well. There’s also an option you can toggle that gives you a damage resistance buff that gets incrementally higher (2%) each time you die.

I do find myself already running into the standard frustration I have with roguelikes, which is having to spend 20 minutes battling through the opening levels that give few rewards before you can get back to the interesting point where you died. I’d love an option to skip the initial levels once you’ve progressed to a certain point.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME.

Buy it. That is all.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hot damn. Still loving it. Never enjoyed getting my ass kicked so much.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finally back on my PC, so I can say more than short platitudes.

Hades is a masterpiece of the rogue-like genre. It's difficult for me to compare it to one specific game, so I'll just list out several thoughts and heap a lot of praise:
  • It nails the 'one more run' aspect of a rogue-like. I'm 4 days in, and have 'completed' 31 runs (by getting my ass handed to me in various ways). Every single time I want to immediately set out again.
  • It nails the upgradeability/skill tree concept, on both the intra- and inter-run sides. While fighting through the underworld, you complete short 'encounters,' with minions of Hades attempting to send you back home (by killing you, of course). Each encounter grants some form of reward. You generally have a choice between two (or more) options, and all of them have their uses. These range from raising your health, taking you to a shop (run by the ferryman Charon) from which to purchase items, to a boon from a god. To rare 'duo' boons when you've got boons from multiple gods who are feeling especially helpful. Those duos can really be something to behold.

Between runs, you have a magic mirror that allows you to exchange Darkness (one of the things you collect during runs) for upgrades that persist across runs. Over time you also befriend various denizens of the House of Hades (and Olympian gods), receiving keepsakes from them. You can equip one keepsake at a time, and receive an upgrade of some sort that way, as well.

Despite there not being any traditional loot to collect (no weapons, armor, etc), I've felt that very distinctive Diablo-esque loot euphoria from the boon system. You enter a run and immediately have an encounter with a random (or not-so-random, but I won't spoil that mechanic) god. Right from the start, you receive a boon or upgrade, and by the time you get deep into shallowly nearly-out-of the underworld, you have stacked/combined/upgraded dozens of alterations to your base setup.

That upgrade system is implemented superbly, IMO. You always have choices, and rarely are any of them bad choices (the upgrades do have rarity levels, and sometimes one will be pretty clearly the best choice given your current setup/play style, but they're all useful).
  • I'm not sure of my play time so far (Damn you, Switch and your odd 'feature' of hiding play time count even from the player until they've played for more than a week). But at 31 runs, it's got to be ~50 hours so far. For a $19.99 game, in 4 days, and I've yet to complete my escape (though I've gotten close, I think). Once I do complete a run, I will not be leaving anytime soon. This could have been a $40 game and been a steal, and at $60 I'm sure I'd be satisfied, too. At $20 it's absolute no-brainer territory if you enjoy either the rogue-like or ARPG genres, IMO.

And this far in, things are still being changed up on every run (for example, I just met a new-to-me deity for the first time on my 32nd time setting out from the House).
  • The story, while not deep in the traditional sense (no Blizzard-like epic cut scenes, no branching dialogue), is engrossing. It's doled out one morsel at a time, mostly between runs as you lounge about the House of Hades. There is an absolute trove of unique dialogue, all through voice-over, and all done well. It's saying something that I don't speed through these interactions this far into the game, but rather let them play out so I can hear each of these folks' unique personalities. Again, this is a $20 game.
  • There are only 6 weapons, and no armor system to speak of. Yet I feel there's a huge amount of customization available. Each of those 6 weapons is quite distinct, ranging from a traditional sword, bow, or spear, to Aegis, to fisticuffs, to a... well, I won't spoil that one. Beyond their unique styles, each can be further customized and upgraded through Titan Blood. These upgrades aren't just superficial (eg 2% more damage, increased speed, etc), but can really change things up. For example, my current favored weapon is the Aegis. Out of the gate, I can bash or bull-rush enemies with it, or toss it out and have it whack an enemy and bounce to another before returning to me. After applying some Titan's Blood, I unlocked the Aspect of Chaos, and now after a bull rush I toss multiple shields, greatly improving my ranged capabilities and changing the way I use the weapon. There are multiple Aspect choices for each weapon, and each can be upgraded further (in addition to the default Aspect).
  • The audio is fantastic. Combat sounds good. The soundtrack fits perfectly, and hasn't gotten old for me yet. From the beat you'll hear over and over as you exit the House of Hades:

To this piece of wonderfulness that stopped me cold when I encountered (minor spoiler that I think you can view without ruining anything, but I've spoilered just to be safe)
    Spoiler:
    Eurydice:

Liked a Diablo? Torchlight? Enjoy rogue-likes? An ARPGer of any sort? Is the Greek pantheon up your alley? Just a fan of a well-put-together game that has clearly had a ton of love put into it?

Buy this game. $20? Madness. Once cross-save is implemented next month, I will absolutely be double-dipping on PC for this one. I'm honestly unable to come up with a single significant complaint. (Maybe the text size on Switch when viewed from a too-small TV at a too-far distance? I think I'm reaching a bit here...)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I did buy it but it's a lot harder than D3 thus I'm in Godmode. Maybe I'll actually get out of wherever I am and get some healing one day.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fine, I'll buy it. Damn you.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's on my list, but it's going to be a busy fall! Maybe in between Mafia and Watch Dogs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:48 am I did buy it but it's a lot harder than D3 thus I'm in Godmode. Maybe I'll actually get out of wherever I am and get some healing one day.
For me it started out really hard and got easier once I was a dozen runs in or so and had my head around the mechanics a lot better. But since you mentioned it, I love [my understanding of, without having used it] their implementation of God Mode. Basically it makes you a bit weaker, but then strengthens you a bit after each failed run until you succeed.
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49 am Fine, I'll buy it. Damn you.
My work here is complete.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 am But since you mentioned it, I love [my understanding of, without having used it] their implementation of God Mode. Basically it makes you a bit weaker, but then strengthens you a bit after each failed run until you succeed.
It doesn't make you any weaker, IIRC. It simply builds up the resistance meter the more you die, so you gradually get tougher.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:01 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 am But since you mentioned it, I love [my understanding of, without having used it] their implementation of God Mode. Basically it makes you a bit weaker, but then strengthens you a bit after each failed run until you succeed.
It doesn't make you any weaker, IIRC. It simply builds up the resistance meter the more you die, so you gradually get tougher.
Ah, ok. I had seen a reference saying your offensive power dropped to begin and slowly built up to much more than base, but that must have been a confused reviewer.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m absolutely stonewalled in the third zone boss. By the time I reach him I usually only have one respawn left, and he always makes short work of me. And progress seems to have ground to a slow trickle now, getting 5 souls or gems at a time, when the next upgrades cost 500.

While there’s definitely lots I like here, I’m not sure it’s enough to overcome my general frustration with the repetition of it all.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:53 am I’m absolutely stonewalled in the third zone boss. By the time I reach him I usually only have one respawn left, and he always makes short work of me. And progress seems to have ground to a slow trickle now, getting 5 souls or gems at a time, when the next upgrades cost 500.

While there’s definitely lots I like here, I’m not sure it’s enough to overcome my general frustration with the repetition of it all.
Oh Skinnypupy. I was sooooo close to an OO Effect purchase and came back today to get one last push over the edge and now you've gone and made me rethink it. Anyone else with mid to late game comments or feedback? Is it super grindy?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't felt that it's grindy yet, but given my general exuberance for the game maybe you need a third voice.

I haven't beaten it yet, but I did get the final boss down to about 5% health last night, so I think I'm close. Reliably getting to that boss now, too.

Skinypupy: what weapon are you using? Do you have the double dash? For that boss quick strikes and a whole lot of kiting have been my strategies.

As for late game stuff, there's a lot of post- escape stuff but it's focused on grabbing different boon combos, unlocking new weapon aspects, etc. I'm not sure what skinypupy means by 5 souls (maybe Darkness?). I've been escaping with around 100 Darkness per run lately.

One thing I didn't realize right away (not sure if this might be part of your problem, skiny) is the that each Talent in the mirror has two choices (hit the button to the left to swap them). There are a lot of options there. You can also respec for the cost of one key.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moat_Man wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:04 am Oh Skinnypupy. I was sooooo close to an OO Effect purchase and came back today to get one last push over the edge and now you've gone and made me rethink it. Anyone else with mid to late game comments or feedback? Is it super grindy?
Please don't let my opinion deter you. I'm someone who dislikes roguelike games in general, and Hades has come *this* close to converting me. If you enjoy the genre at all, this game is a no-brainer. My frustration is with the general structure of any roguelike game. If I lose to a boss, I want to be able to fight that boss again right away, not have to start over and spend 20 minutes fighting back to the boss...only to lose to him again. That sort of gameplay loop tends to frustrate me pretty quickly, but Hades manages it better than nearly any other game I've played.
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 am As for late game stuff, there's a lot of post- escape stuff but it's focused on grabbing different boon combos, unlocking new weapon aspects, etc. I'm not sure what skinypupy means by 5 souls (maybe Darkness?). I've been escaping with around 100 Darkness per run lately.

One thing I didn't realize right away (not sure if this might be part of your problem, skiny) is the that each Talent in the mirror has two choices (hit the button to the left to swap them). There are a lot of options there. You can also respec for the cost of one key.
Yes, Darkness (was lying in bed when I wrote that last night, and couldn't remember the exact term). :lol: I will generally end a run with around 40, but getting a room reward of 5 Darkness or 5 Gems even when you're well into a run feels underwhelming.

I think a big part of the grindy feeling comes from how slowly you gain Diamonds and Titan's Blood (?, the thing that you use to upgrade weapons). Diamonds require some significant grinding to get keys or gems to trade at the vendor. I haven't even seen a Titan's Blood since the second time I beat Meg ages ago. She only drops Darkness now, so I'm not sure how to even get more at this point. I spent the two original Titan's Blood I got from Meg, thinking that those would be a standard drop every time you beat her. Now that they're not, I have no idea how to get more and increase my weapon abilities. I'm sure there's just something I'm missing there.

I think I've unlocked all the still options on the mirror at this point. Interestingly, I find the all red options to be far more useful than the yellow ones. I only actively use one of the yellow options. I mostly use the gun or the spear, as any of the melee weapons kick my ass pretty quickly. I try to be as active as possible in moving around the room, but feel like I'm woefully underpowered compared to the Minotaur/Theseus combo. I probably just need to keep at it (got them both down to about half health last night, which is better than I'd done before), but I'm not sure if the general structure of replay after replay will keep me going.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

To get Titan blood or Diamonds you need to make runs with different weapons. You can see on the map when moving to a different realm that those boss fights are checked off and you already got their rewards (blood or diamond). You won’t get them again with that weapon.

I think it’s also possible to buy blood or diamonds from the store at Lord Hades house though the exchange rate isn’t in your favor.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 am To get Titan blood or Diamonds you need to make runs with different weapons. You can see on the map when moving to a different realm that those boss fights are checked off and you already got their rewards (blood or diamond). You won’t get them again with that weapon.
Thanks Scoop. I knew there was something I was missing!

I received two on back to back runs early on, so I thought Titan's Blood would be a standard reward. Now that I know they're exceedingly rare, I really wish I hadn't spent those two Titan Blood on upgrading a weapon I'm not likely to use much (the sword).

Is there a way to check the map before a run and see which weapons I've already obtained them with?

Also, is there anywhere that keep stats on how many runs, how many encounters, how many enemies killed, etc.? Someone mentioned upthread that their best run was 27 rooms, just wondering how they knew that.