Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Skinypupy

Re: Tabletop Randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

If you missed it a couple weeks ago, this was pretty cool. OFPG board gaming segment on Good Morning America.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Someone has dared to adapt one of cinema's most critically acclaimed classics into a board game :
Spoiler:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've seen mention of Rangers of the Shadow Deep on here a few times. I'm hoping someone could answer a few quick questions:

~How big of a space is required? I see it says 30"x30" for the battlefield, but how much stuff needs to be set on the table outside of it?
~How long is set up, not counting time spent looking for the right bits and pieces?
~How long does a game usually take, assuming solo play?
~How many miniatures are you typically going to see on the table for each side?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:02 am Someone has dared to adapt one of cinema's most critically acclaimed classics into a board game :
Spoiler:

Aww, I thought you were going to be talking about all time smash hit holiday classic JINGLE ALL THE WAY.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When I realized you were talking about a Disney property, I was just grateful it wasn't Song of the South.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

D&D Adventure Begins looks like it could be an interesting "half step" towards getting my kids more interested in actual tabletop RPGs. We've tried a few times, but it's just never taken with them. Mostly because I'm a terrible DM, but also because they have trouble making the transition from playing within the structured rules of a board game to the more creative engagement of an RPG.

This looks to have just the right amount of serious + silly that would appeal to them, while actually getting them to begin using their imagination somewhat. Plus, everyone gets to be the DM, not just dad.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on feedback/reviews for this one when it comes out in October.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, there's a first. A friend gave me a sealed copy of the Traders & Barbarians expansion for Catan. I popped it open, and it was a misprint. The printing on the tiles was misaligned by about 3/16 of an inch, which is enough to render it unplayable (some of the tiles had relevant bits that were entirely off of the piece.) I contacted Catan Studios.

They refused to help.

In the decades I've played board games, I have contacted companies a number of times over broken, improperly crafted, or missing components. Every time the answer was the same: give us your address and we'll get you a replacement. When the games were bought used off of ebay or through a second hand store I'd tell them that, and they still just asked for my address. And in every case, they earned more of my dollars later on, as I had respect for their company.

I am no longer a customer of Catan Studios. It was fun with the family now and then, but there are other games that are also fun.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They're owned by Asmodee now and, well...Asmodee couldn't care less. That does suck regardless.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:26 pm They're owned by Asmodee now and, well...Asmodee couldn't care less. That does suck regardless.
Yeah, I did some digging and just discovered that this is Asmodee's new policy as of a few months ago. If you have a problem, contact your retailer. If you're retailer is a 150-mile round trip (mine is), or if you bought it at a con, or if it was a gift, or if you got it second hand (even new), or if your retailer tells you they can't help, then you're out your money.

Fuck that.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Indeed, Asmodee's obnoxious update to their parts replacement program means I now go out of my way to avoid purchasing anything from them or their aquired subsidiaries.

I understand their reasoning for doing so, but the policy change strikes me as a textbook example of a juggernaut company being "pennywise, pound foolish." It's obviously designed to significantly increase the burden of effort for consumers who receive a defective product or need to obtain replacement parts. Worse still, it places an even greater burden upon smaller friendly local gaming stores. Because it's one thing for large retailers like Amazon, Target, and Walmart to remunerate customers and quite another for smaller retail stores. Friendly local gaming stores are now forced to contend with potentially disgruntled customers if they contact Asmodee to obtain replacement parts and are simply informed, "We don't have any more copies of that game." They're left with the choice of either telling that to their customer and risk incurring their wrath, or eating the cost of providing a refund for a defective product (easier said than done for a small business that already operates on very thin margins).

Not only has Asmodee become increasingly unreliable in providing games WITHOUT missing or bad parts, but chasing after them and jumping through the necessary hoops to obtain replacements is way more trouble than it's worth when there are other reputable companies without such obnoxious customer service policies in place. So eff them and the horse they rode in on.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unfortunately, it's easier to list what Asmodee doesn't own than what they do.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:19 pm Unfortunately, it's easier to list what Asmodee doesn't own than what they do.
Sad but true, hence the "going out of my way" part. Fortunately, there's a handy Asmodee Publisher List on BGG that helps ease the process of determining which publishers to avoid for those so inclined.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

How the molds for tabletop minis are made. It's more complicated than I would have guessed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

No idea what this is counting down to, but could be worth keeping an eye on.

HeroQuest Countdown Timer
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The whole customer service debacle from Asmodee really does suck. I remember purchasing a game from FFG years ago before they were bought up by Asmodee. It was missing one minor token that might have actually been my fault after all (I suspect I forgot to punch out the token I was missing before tossing the empty frame into the trash). I sent them an email asking if I could pay to get that one lousy token. They responded almost immediately and shipped me a replacement within a week. I doubt I'll see that level of customer service again from them though. :(
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Out of curiosity, where is the best place to sell/trade board games? I have finally come to terms with the fact that Mage Knight is simply never going to hit my table again, and I'd like to try and at least get something for it. :?

Wasn't sure if there was a preferred place to sell used games, or if it was just a general Ebay sort of thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, though the place I typically use (Noble Knight) focuses more on bulk unloading - unless you are looking to get rid of quite a few games, it's likely not worth contacting them.

I recently discovered Board Game Co and i think they can deal with smaller (i.e. single) exchanges/trades. I don't have any working experience with them yet though, so I can't offer advice there.

I do know there are various trading/selling groups on Facebook that I'm pretty sure are connected with BGG or various sub-groups associated with BGG (1 player's guild, miniatures gamers, etc...)

Ideally you can find someone local for an exchange as when you're selling board games (like on eBay) the issue always seems to be the shipping. At some point you just need to accept taking a hit in order to free up space.
Zarathud

Tabletop Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

Boardgame Co has an interesting youTube channel, so I’m predisposed to liking him.

Hepcat has sold games at the GenCon auction for great prices. I would have sold Eclipse 1.0 and Endeavor 1.0 there if it was possible.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, that's how I found out about his site - I stumbled into his Youtube channel and we apparently have experienced a very similar board gaming journey over the last ~10 years. I've watched a few of his videos now where he's saying / realizing things that I've also figured out, which is both awesome and creepy. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 pm Yes, though the place I typically use (Noble Knight) focuses more on bulk unloading - unless you are looking to get rid of quite a few games, it's likely not worth contacting them.

I recently discovered Board Game Co and i think they can deal with smaller (i.e. single) exchanges/trades. I don't have any working experience with them yet though, so I can't offer advice there.

I do know there are various trading/selling groups on Facebook that I'm pretty sure are connected with BGG or various sub-groups associated with BGG (1 player's guild, miniatures gamers, etc...)

Ideally you can find someone local for an exchange as when you're selling board games (like on eBay) the issue always seems to be the shipping. At some point you just need to accept taking a hit in order to free up space.
Thanks, I may give Board Game Co a look. I might actually have a couple of things to trade, so it might be worth it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm thinking of contacting Noble Knight to see if they want my comic book collection. My buddy Tommy offloaded a a couple of long boxes and got about $500 in credit at the store. I REALLY want to get rid of my comics.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Micro Macro Crime City. Essentially Where's Waldo, but murder mysteries. The website includes an online sample case that's pretty fun.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah...so I think I'll just keep my games. Between BoardGameCo and Noble Knight, the best offer was an $85 store credit for all of these:

- Mage Knight Ultimate Edition
- Gloomhaven
- Sword & Sorcery Core Set
- Aquadukt
- The Ark of the Covenant
- Legendary Encounters: Firefly
- Keyforge Base Set

That's a worse trade credit offer than Gamestop! :lol:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd take Mage Knight Ultimate off your hands but not sure if it would be worth the shipping costs.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's always the killer - and why you take a beating from anyone that's willing to buy in bulk online. I'd normally just say to try and unload them locally, but we're in the darkest timeline right now.

At some point you might get to the spot where room is more important than recovering costs. If room is never an issue, then I fear for your wallet overall. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Selling on Amazon has been pretty simple and somewhat fruitful. They do charge a bit more for overhead than ebay, but I like that I ship it off to them and they take care of the rest (housing it, shipping it when it's sold, etc.).
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah? That's something I remember looking into a long time ago but it seemed difficult to set up an account - maybe it's better now? How does it work if someone receives your game and complains that a corner is dinged or one of the dice is missing?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

From what I hear, the trading forum on BGG is pretty active. I've never used it myself, though.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I've heard good things. But I stay away from selling direct as I have a fear (irrational?) that the buyers are going to end up screwing me somehow by complaining about some minor element or make up something that was missing or damaged. By selling to a re-seller, once they accept my trade its now their problem to deal with. My stuff is pretty much near-mint across the boards and some of the stuff I resell has parts (like decks) still in shrink or tokens completely is unpunched. At a minimum, loose components are bagged and cards are usually sleeved and always secured with plastibands. But unless I take the time to go through and photo-document all that, I'm always afraid someone is going to claim nonsense that will end up causing me !D10 SAN loss + expenses.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sell at GenCon. That’s where you will get the best prices.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't be holding on to games until 2023 when conventions resume! :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm looking to play some Rangers of the Shadow Deep soon, and needed a mat. I'd love to have a 3'x3' Battle Systems grasslands mat, but I just can't afford it. Instead, I grabbed this a the fabric store today for $5:
Spoiler:
In person it's a little less intensely green, and the lighter tones are a tan. I'll iron it smooth, then use a sponge to blotch some cream/tan areas onto it with craft paint. I think it'll do the job nicely.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 am Micro Macro Crime City. Essentially Where's Waldo, but murder mysteries. The website includes an online sample case that's pretty fun.
Another new game with an online demo: Cascadia.

Is this a new trend in board game marketing? I like it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've given up on using the table in the kids' room that I used to use for board gaming. I used to have exclusive access to it every other week, but with the kids here full-time, I just haven't been able to find a way to make it work.

I need to find another option for games that either take up more than the 33"x33" card table I have, or need to be kept up for more than a couple of hours. So far I'm drawing a blank.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:36 pm I've given up on using the table in the kids' room that I used to use for board gaming. I used to have exclusive access to it every other week, but with the kids here full-time, I just haven't been able to find a way to make it work.

I need to find another option for games that either take up more than the 33"x33" card table I have, or need to be kept up for more than a couple of hours. So far I'm drawing a blank.
In terms of finding a decent folding table larger than 33"x33", the Alpha Game Table available from FirmerTerra.com looks as if it'd be ideal for your needs. But alas, I suspect the $234.99 price tag means it's likely cost-prohibitive.

Failing that, here's a 4-ft round folding table available from Target.com for $113.74.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd almost consider finding a 4' square table top that I can set on my card table (making one won't work - I don't have tools, and lumber stores won't cut to size anymore.) I just need to see what I could do about rearranging furniture to allow me to leave it set up overnight when needed.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:44 pm I'd almost consider finding a 4' square table top that I can set on my card table (making one won't work - I don't have tools, and lumber stores won't cut to size anymore.) I just need to see what I could do about rearranging furniture to allow me to leave it set up overnight when needed.
In that case, perhaps one of these card table extenders (which are also available in custom-made square shapes) might be more appropriate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Those are nice. I might need to inquire about their square ones at some point (I won't inquire until I have the money, which isn't any time soon.)

I did look at other options online. They see equally divided between elaborate DIY designs that require a woodworking shop in your back yard or $700 artisan tables. I really just need to find someone who can cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half! Well, that, and a way to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood home.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:51 pm Those are nice. I might need to inquire about their square ones at some point (I won't inquire until I have the money, which isn't any time soon.)

I did look at other options online. They see equally divided between elaborate DIY designs that require a woodworking shop in your back yard or $700 artisan tables. I really just need to find someone who can cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half! Well, that, and a way to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood home.
It might be worth posting a request for what you're seeking on the relevant Craigslist site for your locale. You'll likely find at least a few people with the relevant tools and skills to get the job done for you fairly economically.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:51 pm Those are nice. I might need to inquire about their square ones at some point (I won't inquire until I have the money, which isn't any time soon.)

BH, if you have a Home Depot nearby, you can get 2 2x4 MDF sheets for about $12. The two sheets would be easier to handle and store than a 4x4 sheet, and a couple of simple eye and hook on the ends could be used to hold them together.

MDF Sheets
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire