Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Is this the same site that does heavy wargaming?
I think you’re thinking of OnTabletop.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Thing by Pendragon. They only have one other KS project under their belts, and this looks like a first with quality minis for them - a few red flags right out of the gate. Looks interesting, but as a game that requires a minimum of 4 and supports up to 8, it's not something that will ever hit my table.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

But no one cares about that. You all just want to know more about The 7th Citadel.
The 7th Citadel is an all-new cooperative exploration and adventure game from the creators of The 7th Continent.

In this post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy world, you play as a “slave-gardener” who escapes from the Citadel of Necrodruid Ninidazir’, only to find yourself confronted by an even greater Threat!

Explore the Collapsing Lands freely by gradually unveiling the board using numbered terrain and event cards. Interact with your environment and converse with its inhabitants.

As the scenarios unfold, your choices, for better or worse, will lead you inexorably to the epic finale against the Threat!
May of 2022 delivery? Holy cow!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Not officially Kickstarter, but the new edition of Heroquest went live a little while ago:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Great disturbance in the gaming world as it seems Hasbro only has North America distribution rights so this is US/Canada only. Seems to be a simple updated reprint, $100 for the base game, $150 for the base game, 2 expansions and whatever stretch goals unlock. 1 is a new Warlock player character so it seems they do have some new stuff in the works.

Seems shipping to Canada is a heavy $130.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I'm in on The Thing for now but am also hoping to play the game on TTS before the campaign ends. It looks like they have the full mod available. Usually, that amount of confidence in the project is a good sign.

The only unfortunate thing is I already have backed the other Thing game (Who goes there?), I guess I will get to see who did it better.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm But no one cares about that. You all just want to know more about The 7th Citadel.
The 7th Citadel is an all-new cooperative exploration and adventure game from the creators of The 7th Continent.

In this post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy world, you play as a “slave-gardener” who escapes from the Citadel of Necrodruid Ninidazir’, only to find yourself confronted by an even greater Threat!

Explore the Collapsing Lands freely by gradually unveiling the board using numbered terrain and event cards. Interact with your environment and converse with its inhabitants.

As the scenarios unfold, your choices, for better or worse, will lead you inexorably to the epic finale against the Threat!
May of 2022 delivery? Holy cow!
I backed it, of course. It will look nice in my shelves with the other 2.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:36 pm The Thing by Pendragon. They only have one other KS project under their belts, and this looks like a first with quality minis for them - a few red flags right out of the gate. Looks interesting, but as a game that requires a minimum of 4 and supports up to 8, it's not something that will ever hit my table.
New stretch goal might interest you.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting. I'll keep watching then. I kinda like the minis, but like you I also backed the reprint of Who Goes There? without realizing anything like this was being created. I'm not sure I have room in my collection for both.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Daveman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm Not officially Kickstarter, but the new edition of Heroquest went live a little while ago:

Great disturbance in the gaming world as it seems Hasbro only has North America distribution rights so this is US/Canada only. Seems to be a simple updated reprint, $100 for the base game, $150 for the base game, 2 expansions and whatever stretch goals unlock. 1 is a new Warlock player character so it seems they do have some new stuff in the works.

I like HeroQuest, and my brother and I were the perfect age for it when it came out (I was 9). But... I don't know if I $150 like it. Gloomhaven might scratch the same itch and is $50 cheaper, and I've already bought Jaws of the Lion. Plus I don't even need friends to play those. I think I just talked myself out of it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There have been a few times that I've regretted getting rid of Heroquest over the years, but not enough to pay that much. I really do appreciate how they replicated the old cardboard furniture, though, and how you can see the influence of the original miniatures in the new designs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sometimes I think I slipped in from a parallel universe as I don't remember this game at all. I can confirm that I never played it and honestly up until a few years ago had never heard of it. I would have been 16 when it came out, so maybe it was just released in a really weird window when I was blind to it (somehow), but it really seems like it should have been squarely in my wheelhouse.

I dunno. I have zero connection to it in any capacity. No way I'm paying to recreate memories I don't have.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As I recall, it was the result of a brief collaboration between Games Workshop and a mainstream publisher - Milton Bradley, maybe? It was Warhammer themed without the Warhammer brand (the dwarf miniature was even the White Dwarf mascot.) They did the same thing with Battle Masters. It was sort of a mainstream dungeon crawler with a huge book of quests. At the same time they had a more hobbyist version called Advanced Heroquest that was sold through GW.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daveman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm Not officially Kickstarter, but the new edition of Heroquest went live a little while ago:

Game reviewer Lance Myxter (UndeadViking) made a great point about Heroquest and it's relaunch. He said that, while all of us who played it in the 80s think of it with fondness (I can credit it for stoking my love of deeper boardgaming), by today's standards its rules are a mess, it is a luck-filled dice fest, is more flash than substance, and has simplistic mechanics but convoluted execution. He didn't think it could stand up next to modern dungeon crawlers and that people would buy it for nostalgia factor and then relegate it to shelves and reach for Gloomhaven, Sword & Sorcery, Altar Quest, etc. instead.

I tend to agree. I sold my copy years ago because it just didn't hold up against (at the time) the bad boy Descent (now Descent doesn't hold up against others well). This looks like a straight reprint, but perhaps they tweaked the rules? I am waiting to see on this one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's kind of where I stand. I really, really wished I had my copy back a decade+ ago when I wanted to introduce the kids to RPGs in general, but I discovered the D&D Adventure titles instead, which were much better titles. Since then I've actually developed a bit of a collection, which includes several dungeon crawlers (still one of my favorite genres.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also feel like this would have been great news to my younger self, but years of advanced complexity in dungeon crawlers would most likely mean I would get bored with it pretty quickly.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:09 pmI also feel like this would have been great news to my younger self, but years of advanced complexity in dungeon crawlers would most likely mean I would get bored with it pretty quickly.
Particularly with the Orgy of Thorns on the horizon!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm already working on a fan made expansion.

It does beg the question: will they ship a vinyl apron with the game?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:

All stretch goals haven't been revealed yet, but there are horse cards coming up if enough people support the game!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Please God, tell me that's not an in game character's nickname....
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. They just cancelled the GameOn funding and are moving it over to KS - the demand for horse companions put them over the edge! :lol:

KS relaunch ~2 months, so plenty of time to prepare and get hydrated.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:shock:

I wonder what necessitated that change? Did they enforce an endowment limitation in game?

side note: I read the overview for Curse of Borbarad (seriously, who names all this crap and can we get them sober?) and now I want it. I like the board game aesthetic they're bringing to Aventuria with it.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the message:
Spoiler:
Hello backers,

We have been so excited to share this campaign with you, and we are so grateful for your enthusiastic support so far. Those of you who have joined us have shown that you love Aventuria is much as we do, and we appreciate that so much.

We have realized, however, that we could do more to share Aventuria with others, and that begins with this crowdfunding. We will be cancelling this campaign immediately and beginning preparations for a larger relaunch on Kickstarter. (We will still handle surveys, late pledges, and backer management on GameOn if you prefer not to use Kickstarter.)

As part of that process, we will be refunding all your pledges. We hope that you will return when we relaunch, but of course you should not feel obligated. You have already shown your dedication to Aventuria, and we could not ask for more.

To show our appreciation, we still want to send you something. Everyone who had pledged will not only have their full payment refunded but will also receive a free copy of the Master Tailor’s Poltergeists demo set. This is an early pre-production version, but it will contain everything you need to teach people how to play Aventuria. We’re even going to get these copies signed by Christian Lonsing, the adventure designer, so they will be unique from the copies anyone might get through the Kickstarter later.

Part of our relaunch is going to involve taking the time to print demo copies to send to video and stream reviewers, so there will be a bit of delay before the Kickstarter launches. We are aiming for approximately two months from now, although we can’t be sure of the date just yet. We’ll let you know as soon as we have that set.

Again, thank you, and we hope that you enjoy the Master Tailor’s Poltergeists.

Eric for Ulisses International
I don't feel like the GameOn platform is as good as promotion and/or isn't as visible as KS. They also had hit almost 15K and were only looking for 5K. Maybe they didn't realize demand was that high and are thinking they can make more with KS.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm side note: I read the overview for Curse of Borbarad (seriously, who names all this crap and can we get them sober?)
Beats the 517th game named after a city. I mean, it's still noun of nouns...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're just still mad that your entry, Peoria: The Board Game, didn't find a publisher.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's fine. I'm just going to Kickstart it as Peoria: Possibility of Connection.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dungeon Universalis 2nd printing just hit KS and is already funded. From what I've read and seen, this is an old-school dungeon crawl experience that's likely tailored to a very specific audience. The first printing was released earlier this year and it looks like they're taking all the feedback and criticisms (a lot of translation issues, rule clarity) and funding this updated 2nd printing.

I know I'm crazy for doing it, but I think I'm in.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm Dungeon Universalis 2nd printing just hit KS and is already funded. From what I've read and seen, this is an old-school dungeon crawl experience that's likely tailored to a very specific audience. The first printing was released earlier this year and it looks like they're taking all the feedback and criticisms (a lot of translation issues, rule clarity) and funding this updated 2nd printing.

I know I'm crazy for doing it, but I think I'm in.
Damn. That's a lot of crap in that box.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just the core revised or everything, smooth? I'm tempted by the core box, myself.

Although I just found out that street masters online store is opening back up in late october...and with some new expansions. Considering that I still play SM at least once or twice a month easily, it's a no brainer for me to pick up everything I don't already have, plus the new stuff.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From reading up online the "all in' box looks great, but it contains stuff that won't be used for solo play or just gives you the ability to create your own custom content so there's some potential waste (depending on what you're looking for).

Bestiary 2 - not used in core game; allows for custom content and will be part of potential future expansions
Bestiary cards + Legendary Encounters - rules references to speed up play - just reproductions of what's in the manuals
Campaign and Quest Book 2 - might expand out core game play
Minis - optional
Perfidiae - adds competitive elements; does not mesh with pure solo or coop play

I think I'm going to get the core game reprint and consider the Campaign and Quest Book 2 as an add on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:10 pm Although I just found out that street masters online store is opening back up in late october...and with some new expansions. Considering that I still play SM at least once or twice a month easily, it's a no brainer for me to pick up everything I don't already have, plus the new stuff.
Well, yeah. That was your first mistake - not going all in on Street Masters. :D

If you're looking to stretch your money or aren't sure how to prioritize what to get, both of the Street Masters Redemption packs are necessary and give you the greatest value (imho) as you're now able to play all game content as the villains. It's like a whole new game (again).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only things I don't have is the redemption packs and the one expansion that features the brothers as heroes. It felt a little cheesy to me initially, but now I need it all.

It's amazing that SM still has its hooks in me. Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is one of the few other games I can think of that I always want to play.

Brook City I can take or leave though. In our last game I finally realized why however. Moving the win condition to the case instead of the villain artificially extends the game, imho. It ends up with everyone eventually twiddling their thumbs for last hour or two, waiting for the end game to come around.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm
I think I'm going to get the core game reprint and consider the Campaign and Quest Book 2 as an add on.
I'm going with the core game too. I'm weak. This, the 7th continent sequel and the Set a Watch expansion is making for a very expensive mid-October.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In case someone wanted a review of the original:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, that made me laugh more than once. Especially the door skit. :lol:
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

With both Dungeon Universalis and Machina Arcana both on KS, with the new Hopolomachus on the near horizon, there is a lot to think about. For solo play, Hoplomachus is an obvious fit, but I love Lovecraft and I hear MA does a lot of stuff well. But man, the sheer size of the toolkit you get in Dungeon Universalis is impressive!

Anyone here play MA to weigh in? It looks a lot like Deep Madness, and I have heard it has the same brutal difficulty.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TMB Trove Chest has shipped. Yeehaw!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Crap. I just realized the core TMB box does not fit into a Kallax cube. :?
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:40 pm TMB Trove Chest has shipped. Yeehaw!
Ran off to check my email for shipping news . . . sigh. :crying-yellow:
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:40 pm TMB Trove Chest has shipped. Yeehaw!
What letter does your first name begin with? I'm curious how far they are from shipping "R".
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just put in my full payment for my Wyrmwood gaming table. Campaign ends in 8 days. Whoo boy. I’ve taken leaps of faith before but this one...