Suggestion for new home wifi router?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have two wifi routers... The N that came with the DSL modem, and the AC I bought refurb later from LinkSys. I ran them side by side no problem. But the dark linksys has a tendency to reset itself every 6 months or so. Then I had to redo the entire network.

it just did so again. Except this time, the LinkSys setup app that worked before cannot detect a router DESPITE logging into the wifi.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Re: Great, my wifi router died... the backup, not the primary

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am back. Had to redo the router setup... AGAIN. :-P Piece of crap...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had a Linksys WRT54G that started spontaneously rebooting after seven or eight years of use (and the frequency of it occurring kept steadily increasing). no amount of factory resetting or installing alternative firmwares fixed the issue, so it appeared to be a hardware issue.

last time i was at Goodwill a couple weeks ago, i saw a TON of routers there. like the most i'd ever seen.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:45 pm I have two wifi routers... The N that came with the DSL modem, and the AC I bought refurb later from LinkSys. I ran them side by side no problem. But the dark linksys has a tendency to reset itself every 6 months or so. Then I had to redo the entire network.

it just did so again. Except this time, the LinkSys setup app that worked before cannot detect a router DESPITE logging into the wifi.
Seems like more trouble than it's worth given that you can buy reliable DD-WRT-compatible routers without necessarily needing to spend an arm and a leg to do so. Or even buy one pre-configured and upgraded courtesy of FlashRouters.com if you prefer not to perform the upgrade manually.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's alright for now. Money's tight, no time on frivolities like a new router. :)

Held button down for 30 seconds, and reset the whole thing and setup the SSID again.

But had to do it on the PC. The App doesn't work.
Kasey Chang

Re: Great, my wifi router died... the backup, not the primary [Fixed]

Post by Kasey Chang »

If I want a replacement, should I stick with a 'better" AC router, or should I go WiFi 6, even though I don't have any devices that talks WiFi 6?

My current AC router is like a cheap LinkSys, probably AC900 or 1200. I can get a decent AC2000/2100 for $80 (Tenda AC23), or one of those AC4000 tri-band quad MIMO blah blah super routers (renewed) for $135. ( LinkSys EA9300 )
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:25 pm i had a Linksys WRT54G that started spontaneously rebooting after seven or eight years of use (and the frequency of it occurring kept steadily increasing). no amount of factory resetting or installing alternative firmwares fixed the issue, so it appeared to be a hardware issue.

last time i was at Goodwill a couple weeks ago, i saw a TON of routers there. like the most i'd ever seen.
Mine has just started the random rebooting this past week. I've tried updating the firmware, but the problem persist. Sounds like i need a new one?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:25 pm i had a Linksys WRT54G that started spontaneously rebooting after seven or eight years of use (and the frequency of it occurring kept steadily increasing). no amount of factory resetting or installing alternative firmwares fixed the issue, so it appeared to be a hardware issue.

Mine has just started the random rebooting this past week. I've tried updating the firmware, but the problem persist. Sounds like i need a new one?
if it supports an alternative firmware (like https://dd-wrt.com/ ) try installing that. if it _still_ occurs even with that, i would say it is a hardware issue.
infinitelurker

Re: Suggestion for new home wifi router?

Post by infinitelurker »

I was running into issues with an ASUS router that I had DD-WRT running on, and ended up getting an Amplifi, this one in particular: https://amplifi.com/amplifi-hd

I started off getting just the base unit, and figured I'd try it out in our 3500 sq ft home before getting the mesh points. I'm glad I didn't get them, because just that little cube covers our entire home, yard and garage. It has been rock solid, and the speeds are way better than I was getting on my, albeit older, ASUS router.
-something witty-
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I switched to a Google WiFi mesh about a year ago and it's been excellent. 300+ Mbps speeds everywhere in the house. Edit to add, that speed is the internet speed - device to device within the house is faster.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, I think the router just died AGAIN. That's it. I'm buying a replacement. As I have no ax devices I'm just buying an AC router, and as I only haver limited devices to support (less than 10 total), I'm getting a D-link AC2600 device, on sale from Amazon at about $80. It ought to be enough to last until I REALLY need to upgrade the network. I'll see it by Friday.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:22 pm I switched to a Google WiFi mesh about a year ago and it's been excellent. 300+ Mbps speeds everywhere in the house. Edit to add, that speed is the internet speed - device to device within the house is faster.
I was looking at this and my concern is that there is no log. Do you find you miss it at all? I don't check it frequently, but I do like having the ability.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:40 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:22 pm I switched to a Google WiFi mesh about a year ago and it's been excellent. 300+ Mbps speeds everywhere in the house. Edit to add, that speed is the internet speed - device to device within the house is faster.
I was looking at this and my concern is that there is no log. Do you find you miss it at all? I don't check it frequently, but I do like having the ability.
there is a log, it's just ... sent directly to Google instead

you think i'm kidding
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

New router is installed within 10 minutes (pretty much plug and play), tested AC throughput via Speedtest and appears to be 1/3 faster all around (10 mbps downstream, 1 mbps upstream, about what I'd expect from crappy DSL). Set it to same SSID and same passphrase, all devices picked it up right away.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:46 am

you think i'm kidding
Yeah, i saw that. Given I use Chrome, I'm not sure it matters.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:I was looking at this and my concern is that there is no log. Do you find you miss it at all? I don't check it frequently, but I do like having the ability.
I have never once looked at a router log, so I wouldn’t say that I miss it, no. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:46 am

you think i'm kidding
So I had read about the log going to Google (as I noted above), but never really looked into it. Today I did and this is from their privacy policy.
Google Nest Privacy wrote:Google Wifi is a router system that works with your modem and ISP to create a whole-home Wi-Fi mesh network. Google Wifi uses data about your network performance (for example, network speed and bandwidth usage) to help provide and improve your Wi-Fi coverage and experience. It also allows you to see which devices are connected and how much bandwidth they use.

For Google Wifi, we commit to you:

• Google Wifi does not track the websites you visit, nor does it monitor the content of traffic on your Wi-Fi network.

• We keep your Wi-Fi network performance data separate from advertising and don’t use it for ad personalization.

• We will only share Wi-Fi network performance data from your Google Wifi with third-party apps and services that work with our connected home devices if you or a manager of your Wifi network gives us permission, and we’ll only ask for this permission in order to provide a helpful experience from an approved partner (such as an internet service provider).
That's not what I would consider a log and makes me feel better about the option. Do you have anything that suggests this isn't accurate?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the 'performance data' was what i was referring to. i haven't looked into this, but that just seems really weird to me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:49 pm the 'performance data' was what i was referring to. i haven't looked into this, but that just seems really weird to me.
That data has to do with how devices connect, how they switch between units and channels. Seems to be helping them improve the products in the future.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:06 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:49 pm the 'performance data' was what i was referring to. i haven't looked into this, but that just seems really weird to me.
That data has to do with how devices connect, how they switch between units and channels. Seems to be helping them improve the products in the future.
i personally am never getting another piece of Google hardware and am currently trying to phase out my usage of Google software (harder than that sounds) so i would not get that, but that's just my opinion.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:31 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:06 pm
i personally am never getting another piece of Google hardware and am currently trying to phase out my usage of Google software (harder than that sounds) so i would not get that, but that's just my opinion.
Amen. And FWIW, here's a useful list of deGoogle resources that help cut Google out of your life.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was reading stuff about my new D-Link Router and turns out it's got EXO Mesh, which means I can get an extender called DRA-1360 and DRA-2060 that actually works with the main router to form a mesh.

Unfortunately, I don't see them for sale anywhere. If they are not on Amazon and not on Newegg, they probably don't exist.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Picked up a Deco M9 Plus over the weekend for $200 at Costco
https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wi ... o-m9-plus/

Finally have consistent connection throughout the house. Now to buy a better modem and upgrade my plan.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just noticed my PC was connecting to the router via N, not AC, and via the 2.4 GHz band, not 5 GHz band.

Just changed both preferences in adapter settings. Disconnected, and reconnected, and now Windows report much more solid connection. Doesn't change the speedtest results, but every little bit helps.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

naednek wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm Picked up a Deco M9 Plus over the weekend for $200 at Costco
https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wi ... o-m9-plus/

Finally have consistent connection throughout the house. Now to buy a better modem and upgrade my plan.
I was looking at these at Costco, one question, my providers modem has built in router, do these connect to the existing router you have, or do you have to de-activate the existing router and these are then the router plus mesh.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just chain it to the existing router. I do end up with 2 separate SSIDs though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Double checked the specs and model. The only "mesh extender" D-link sells that is compatible with EXO Mesh is DAP-1820 (which is $80, same price I paid for my router).

The problem is D-link's own website recommends the DRA-2080 (which is black) under the EXO series, and makes no mention of the DAP-1820. And the REALLY weird part is, the DRA-2080 otherwise looks identical to the DAP-1820 above except the color difference (DRA is black, DAP is white).

I have a feeling that DAP-1820 can work both as a mesh-extender AND a regular WiFi extender, and D-Link basically realized why should they stock two different SKUs and quietly eliminated DRA products... WITHOUT updating their website.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got a Netgear Orbi system over the weekend. Pretty easy to setup - got everything up and running and reattached the network in under an hour (could probably do it faster if you knew what you were doing). No drops so far and everyone has been happily streaming. My only complaint is I'm having trouble getting my car charger to connect. The charger only connects on 2.4 GHz and in the ten minutes I had to spend trying to get it to connect - it wouldn't. Not sure what that is about.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Channel congestion? (2.4 GHz only has like 10-12 channels, IIRC)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm Channel congestion? (2.4 GHz only has like 10-12 channels, IIRC)
The included wifi analyzer doesn't say it is, but possible. The connection process for the charger is a little weird and I probably did something out of order or not fast enough. Work has been crazy so I haven't had a chance to try again.