[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:26 pm a young fresh out of SF Academy Spook.
Wow, they're going in a weird direction...
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:26 pm It will have a female Number One
Enlarge Image
The female you call "Number One" has the superior mind and would produce highly intelligent children. Although she seems to lack emotion, this is largely a pretense. She has often had fantasies involving you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:20 pm I guess Into Darkness left a bad taste in my mouth as far as corruption in Starfleet is concerned. As much as I love Peter Weller. (Different universe, I know.) I'd be happy enough to forget Romulus was ever destroyed, as well. That event is too "big"... it reshapes the entire universe. Just like the synth attack. But, it's the sandbox we've been given.
The reverse is also true, in that it's too big to simply ignore. Trying to pretend it didn't happen just leads to awkwardness. It's unfortunate, but the changes made in the reboot go in both directions. In having destroyed Romulus in the Prime, and Vulcan in the alternate, they created a ripple effect that does change things. In a way, it was kind of selfish of them to do that for the 2009 movie. But with Picard, it's the first time we've seen this side of the Universe since Nemesis, and it's an opportunity to see how Picard and his friends have dealt with the fallout from that ensuing event and to do some worldbuilding. This is one of the reasons I was looking forward to Picard, and was disappointed when it got nothing more than a passing mention. For me, Picard feels like it's just there existing in a void due to so little worldbuilding attempt to connect it to everything else. Yes, there is a threat, and yes he seems to have been accused of going against Starfleet, but to what end? How does that tie into the grander scheme of things? And how have things become so far gone as to have Picard going against them? These things need to be be fully explored.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
geezer

Post by geezer »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 pm
If you watched Discovery season 2, it makes more sense than it ought to. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jason "Spock" Bourne
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Why exactly is that weird?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think it depends on if you see the misspelling. No idea as I dont watch this stuff. Maybe its correct.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:38 pm
No offense intended. Your typo made me immediately think of a Vulcan CIA operative working for Starfleet. Just being goofy...as is my want. :wink:
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm
No offense intended. Your typo made me immediately think of a Vulcan CIA operative working for Starfleet. Just being goofy...as is my want. :wink:
Heh, my bad, I did see that error before posting but I thought I had corrected it in the draft!!! :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm
Spoilers please!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's no spoiler that I'm goofy, you silly duck.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Learn something new every day.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:34 pm Learn something new every day.
Usually the sign of a good day.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Apparently, they have started airing the first season of Discovery on regular over the air CBS, Thursday nights at 10 PM (Eastern).

I just missed the start of last night but have set to record whatever else they air for it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:44 pm Apparently, they have started airing the first season of Discovery on regular over the air CBS, Thursday nights at 10 PM (Eastern).

I just missed the start of last night but have set to record whatever else they air for it.
I started watching the other day, but it turned into a pumpkin after 3 episodes. I was prompted to cough up their blood money to see any more.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Are you saying they're not showing the full season like they advertised?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff hates paying for streaming (and he still hates the Amish, I believe...which still boggles the mind) so that carries over to anything that premieres on streaming. Best to just let him vent.

Yes, all of season 1 is airing OTA.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm Are you saying they're not showing the full season like they advertised?
I didn't see an advertisement so I can't speak to that. All I know is what happened when I tried to watch last weekend, it appeared as "On Demand" from CBS (not their pay channel) but only 3 episodes were there...I was prompted to subscribe if I wanted to see a 4th. Maybe it is free elsewhere but not on Comcrap?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm Are you saying they're not showing the full season like they advertised?
I didn't see an advertisement so I can't speak to that. All I know is what happened when I tried to watch last weekend, it appeared as "On Demand" from CBS (not their pay channel) but only 3 episodes were there...I was prompted to subscribe if I wanted to see a 4th. Maybe it is free elsewhere but not on Comcrap?
More likely the 4th episode will show up this week and the 5th next week and so on.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What coop said. It's showing over the air, so they're probably not going to just make them all available at once. The intent is that you watch it over the air on a weekly basis like most shows being shown over the air, or you catch up once they air.

But since you're already paying 180 dollars a month or so for Comcast like a sucker, why not just bite the bullet and subscribe to CBS? :P
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So they're not airing the new (third) season over the air, right? Just the first season?
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And most likely, they're probably showing it on CBS as a sort of promotion for All-Access.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I've said this before, but just in case anyone doesn't know, there's frequently (every 2-3 months) a free CBS All Access promotion for a free month (and usable by people who've already had a trial before).

I also finished watching Lower Decks, and overall, I found it silly but enjoyable, though....

Spoiler:
It felt a little awkward how the last episode had everyone aboard a ship die and they just glossed over it and kept the jokes coming.

Also, is Riker going to cameo in *every* series? (They're going to have to figure out how to put him in Discovery)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I've said this before, but just in case anyone doesn't know, there'(every 2-3 months) a free CBS All Access promotional code for a free month (and usable by people who've already had a trial before). Currently, there's a code of "Fall"

I also finished watching Lower Decks, and overall, I found it silly but enjoyable, though....

Spoiler:
It felt a little awkward how the last episode had everyone aboard a ship die and they just glossed over it and kept the jokes coming.

Also, is Riker going to cameo in *every* series? (They're going to have to figure out how to put him in Discovery)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 3 is off to a good start. I was afraid it would veer away from the idea of Star Trek, but instead they’re actually embracing the Federation. The final few minutes made me tear up a little, even. :oops:
Covfefe!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:12 pm What coop said. It's showing over the air, so they're probably not going to just make them all available at once. The intent is that you watch it over the air on a weekly basis like most shows being shown over the air, or you catch up once they air.

But since you're already paying 180 dollars a month or so for Comcast like a sucker, why not just bite the bullet and subscribe to CBS? :P
Not on next week (Presidential debate). It is on the week after though (that's as far ahead as my AT&T guide channel goes).

I sub to Disney + and $140/mo to AT&T for cable/internet. In this instance, I can side with Jeff in that I'm not going to pay more to sub to CBS. I only got Disney because I knew for a fact we'd get good use out of it (my wife and kid love Disney movies, we watched the Mandalorian, watched/rewatched several Star Wars and Marvel movies, working on the last 2 seasons of the clone wars (season 6 may have been on TV, but I don't remember it).

Probably will take advantage of the free periods for CBS eventually and catch up on all the Star Trek stuff there. Haven't seen/heard of anything else of interest on CBS to make me want to sub.

Netflix was at least tempting for the Marvel shows, but they're not something my wife would watch with me. Hard to find a significant amount of time I can watch TV w/o her.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:38 pm And most likely, they're probably showing it on CBS as a sort of promotion for All-Access.
So it showed up again as available on Comcrap yesterday. I watched Ep 4, and it wanted me to pay for 5! Fuck that, I've still not bonded with any of the characters.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:13 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:38 pm And most likely, they're probably showing it on CBS as a sort of promotion for All-Access.
So it showed up again as available on Comcrap yesterday. I watched Ep 4, and it wanted me to pay for 5! Fuck that, I've still not bonded with any of the characters.
When it comes to how streaming works, I feel like we need to explain things to you as if you were our grandfather. :lol:
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, every other show I watch the next episode starts automatically if I do nothing. Yours works differently?
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 am Well, every other show I watch the next episode starts automatically if I do nothing. Yours works differently?
Why would an episode of a TV show that has not actually aired on free TV yet be available for you to watch for free?
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:00 am Well, every other show I watch the next episode starts automatically if I do nothing. Yours works differently?
:lol:

I give up. Streaming technology and you are not a good mix. Stick to the shore, jeff.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

He's probably from the future and brings good beer. ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 am
Why would an episode of a TV show that has not actually aired on free TV yet be available for you to watch for free?
I dunno...others are reporting it's free, but I seem to be getting it only in bits. 4 bits to date, so some of it must be free Now, maybe there's some caveat, like I need to install their own streaming app so it makes it easy for them to charge me if I forget to drop after a free trial. The shows I have seen available to me are Comcrap On Demand.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:30 pm He's probably from the future and brings good beer. ;)
Yes and no. I'm from the future but here for the beer. In the future, InBev is granted a perpetual trademark on the term "beer", assimilates every brewery on the planet and converts them all to Bud Light factories.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:05 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 am
I dunno...others are reporting it's free, but I seem to be getting it only in bits. 4 bits to date, so some of it must be free Now, maybe there's some caveat, like I need to install their own streaming app so it makes it easy for them to charge me if I forget to drop after a free trial. The shows I have seen available to me are Comcrap On Demand.
Yes, that's because, as hepcat and others have said, Season 1 is airing on CBS on Thursday nights this fall. They've aired 4 episodes already; the 5th will likely be available for free On Demand after it airs on the 29th. They're not going to put those episodes up for free before they've aired.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I see, thank you for clearing that up. I was under the impression that season 1 was released to streaming.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:39 pm I see, thank you for clearing that up. I was under the impression that season 1 was released to streaming.
On CBS All Access, yes. It's been streaming there since 2017.

Elsewhere? No.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would consider it a personal gift from the universe if Jeff shows up next week complaining that they tried to charge him to watch episode 6. :P
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 pm I would consider it a personal gift from the universe if Jeff shows up next week complaining that they tried to charge him to watch episode 6. :P
Look, the law is clear that if you stream one episode for free, you have to let people watch the rest of the entire series unless they actively stop the streaming.
Black Lives Matter.