Hades

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Hades

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 am if you beat the third boss you don't suck.
That came with 1000's of dark spent on upgrades and moving the story along plot points enough to make runs easier (Specifically one adversary became an ally on the run that beat Theseus) and choosing the one weapon that requires the lest coordination... spell spell spell spell dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack Call God dash attack dash attack dash spell spell spell spell attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack dash attack

Even with all of the dark and using Titan's Blood on these two weapons, I still haven't beat the first boss with the gun thing and haven't even seen the first boss with the bow.

Having read about Ambrosia, I know there are still a bunch of unlocking to go in addition to gathering and spending dark, so we'll see. I haven't even met all of the NPCs yet, so I don't even know what's out there with regard to help from allied equipment.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've completed 59 escape attempts, with 7 clears (5 shield, 1 spear, 1 gun). Max heat of 3.

Through those 59 attempts, I've yet to see repeating dialog, and have not even come close to 'completing' any NPC relationships. The story depth is kind of nuts.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've probably has that many escape attempts this weekend.... zero clears... Not knowing the endgame, as Coop said, beating Theseus once. I think I've met him about 7 or 8 times with the Aegis and sword once each, and the spear several times. The one time I beat him was with a spear that stacked five damage over time purple blobs from a Heroic attack with all my hammers and Poms invested in attack increases, my call was 2.9 seconds of invulnerability.

Previous to the my on Theseus beat, I was trying the regenerate 2<3 per hit but the decrease to (by?) 60% life total was just too little for the witches (oh I hate the witches)

Edit 71 attempts 6,356 darkness. I think my next darkness direction is to experiment with set up cash hoarding for maximum Chiron bonuses and then use hammers or boons (Dionsys?) that increase your damage based on your hoarding.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Well you guys are making me feel better about my lack of success.

14 attempts, 863 darkness. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve made it past the final boss three times now. I find the Shield + Athena boons to be the easiest path for success. Invulnerable reflect while dashing seems really overpowered compared to most of the other options. I also really like Athena’s shield cast ability. Upgrade that to level 4-5 and you can one shot a lot of enemies in the game and since it does AOE damage it will explode a whole area. If you can also find the Artemis critical boon you become a pure death machine.

The item that raises your dodge chance on fast completes plays really well with this build. My best is buffing it to the point where I had an innate 30% chance to dodge every hit.
Last edited by Lordnine on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 am Well you guys are making me feel better about my lack of success.

14 attempts, 863 darkness. :)
I think it was around attempt 30 that I started getting to the Styx temples on the regular.
Lordnine wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am I’ve made it past the final boss three times now. I find the Shield + Athena boons to be the easiest path for success. Invulnerable while dashing seems really overpowered compared to most of the other options. I also really like Athena’s shield cast ability. Upgrade that to level 4-5 and you can one shot a lot of enemies in the game and since it does AOE damage it will explode a whole area.

The item that raises your doge chance on fast completes plays really well with this build. My best is buffing it to the point where I had an innate 30% chance to dodge every hit.
I like the Athena cast, too. As well as Zeus'. Revenge damage is my bestie, though. Get that raised up and it helps a lot on the bosses. Hit me? OK, here's 200+ damage.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Taking lunch and look at that, I did something and Tartarus has totally changed, beginning with a new ally showing up out of nowhere. Runs? Beating the third boss? Meeting that last ally for the first time in the Halls? No idea.

Game is beginning to remind me a lot of Dungeons of Dreadmore
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 am I've completed 59 escape attempts, with 7 clears (5 shield, 1 spear, 1 gun). Max heat of 3.

Through those 59 attempts, I've yet to see repeating dialog, and have not even come close to 'completing' any NPC relationships. The story depth is kind of nuts.
166 attempts, 6453 darkness, although admittedly many were in the early days when there were only two bosses.

I can't remember seeing repeating dialogue, and there have been places where they have surprised me with something new.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woo, made it out with the bow over lunch. Tried it on Heat 1 since I already had 3 of the 4 bounties on Heat 0. The answer to the unasked question is no, you will not receive any lower-Heat rewards when doing that (eg I have to go back at Heat 0 to get the final bounty for that difficulty).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How do you figure out timing for fishing?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm How do you figure out timing for fishing?
Wait until the bobber actually dips underwater, then immediately strike. It's a different sound from the little bobs it makes.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I finished the 'real' ending this time (though there's plenty more after that). End credits and all. I don't know if this was triggered based on total number of escapes or the fact that I've now escaped with all 6 weapons.
Spoiler:
Cool ending, new NPC, new keepsake, bunch o Titan's Blood as reward, new area unlocked with purpose yet unknown.
This escape was fun--used the fightin' fists with increased range, combined with a Dionysus boon that made my Cast a powerful version of the stunning fog, complete with a Duo boon that made each cast drop a second, weaker fog bomb. Used it to combo-drop a few bombs, then dash in and pummel folks. Even the bosses dropped quickly.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm How do you figure out timing for fishing?
Wait until the bobber actually dips underwater, then immediately strike. It's a different sound from the little bobs it makes.
I eventually started to try and watch for the flash. The bobber dipping doesn't work for me. I can't tell what is "underwater" and what isn't. If I can train myself to not watch the bobber but rather watch for the flash, I think and hit the button immediately, like a half second late it too late, I'll start to hit. I was probably 50/50 with the flash.
Dionysus boon
I had been playing with Dionysys hangover (on the fists) and believe I almost escaped last night for the first time. I fought what I believe is the last boss to the point where I thought I won only to find out shit hits the fan when you think you've won and I had no answer for that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:52 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm
I eventually started to try and watch for the flash. The bobber dipping doesn't work for me. I can't tell what is "underwater" and what isn't. If I can train myself to not watch the bobber but rather watch for the flash, I think and hit the button immediately, like a half second late it too late, I'll start to hit. I was probably 50/50 with the flash.
Forget the flash, focus on the sound. You can close your eyes and get it 100% of the time. (Or 90%, if you're old like me.)
I had been playing with Dionysys hangover (on the fists) and believe I almost escaped last night for the first time. I fought what I believe is the last boss to the point where I thought I won only to find out shit hits the fan when you think you've won and I had no answer for that.
Using the two remaining obstacles to block what I think you are referring to is key. Unless you are using Aegis, in which case you can block it yourself, then strike.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:35 pm I finished the 'real' ending this time (though there's plenty more after that). End credits and all. I don't know if this was triggered based on total number of escapes or the fact that I've now escaped with all 6 weapons.
The ending is triggered by
Spoiler:
completing 10 runs.
Apparently there is also a true ending but I'm not sure how to get that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Every time Zagerut says "It doesn't taste like anything" I'm like why do I hear Dolores from West World say "It doesn't look like anything". Tonight, I'm like Oh, yeah.

Question
Spoiler:
What do the skulls on blood boil mean when you are fighting Hades?
And on the 79th try, my first success... with the fists... and all I was trying to do was to get all of the fists prophesy finished. Yeah me! Another blood offering for the stupid bow.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:15 pm Every time Zagerut says "It doesn't taste like anything" I'm like why do I hear Dolores from West World say "It doesn't look like anything". Tonight, I'm like Oh, yeah.

Question
Spoiler:
What do the skulls on blood boil mean when you are fighting Hades?
And on the 79th try, my first success... with the fists... and all I was trying to do was to get all of the fists prophesy finished. Yeah me! Another blood offering for the stupid bow.
Spoiler:
Boiling Blood is the same at Zags cast. While it is on you you will take additional damage, it will also explode after a while.
I've completed at least one run with every weapon except the gun. Shield is definitely the easiest for me. I'm up to heat 6 with that weapon and it still feels like a cakewalk, so if you are struggling, invest in upgrading the basic damage on that and I think you should be good. I've gotten the ending, which I think is brilliantly done and gives story reason to keep playing even after the main quest is complete.

If you are having trouble with the bow I strongly recommend upgrading the second form. Hit an enemy once to mark them, then unleash all of your arrows with Q. Get some Artemis buffs on Q and Crit damage and you can two shot almost any non boss enemy in the game with that combo and you only have to aim once. Works really well with the Butterfly item since you can hang back and not get hit at all.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm up to 13 escapes in 69 attempts. Best time 35:42 with the twin fists. Just crossed 20,000 foes downed. New stuff still happening on/after every run. Crazy.

I liked this review.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 am I've completed 59 escape attempts, with 7 clears (5 shield, 1 spear, 1 gun).
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:35 pm I'm up to 13 escapes in 69 attempts. Best time 35:42 with the twin fists.
Your escape rate has significantly improved.

This weekend, well some time not that long ago I ALMOST got past Theseus (with the 6th weapon). I had the bull down and Theseus at like 5% and got cocky. I was so damn mad.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You're so close!

Thread:
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Malificent wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 am I've completed 59 escape attempts, with 7 clears (5 shield, 1 spear, 1 gun). Max heat of 3.

166 attempts, 6453 darkness, although admittedly many were in the early days when there were only two bosses.

I can't remember seeing repeating dialogue, and there have been places where they have surprised me with something new.
Murr deerrr

Meerrdeerrr

Murderrrr

(does that count?) :ninja:
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I keep getting hung up the damn spear traps on Elysium. GRUMP

I still haven't beat the final boss since they release the game. I'll be making a great run then hit a bad fight and suddenly Im down a life and then get worked over by one of the bosses and well, Hades wears me out. I keep trying because hey this game is damn fun and you always feel like you made some progress. Great design.

It also reminds me a little of the original Plants versus Zombies. The game seemed fairly simple at first but then things start to unlock and there is 5 times there game there then you expected.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

First game I ever returned on Steam after 29 minutes of play. Didn't like the the keyboard controls with the diagonal movement. It was the same with Bastion. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more with standard ARPG controls.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:42 pm I still haven't beat the final boss since they release the game. I'll be making a great run then hit a bad fight and suddenly Im down a life and then get worked over by one of the bosses and well, Hades wears me out. I keep trying because hey this game is damn fun and you always feel like you made some progress. Great design.
That's about where I'm at as well. Every time I think I'm doing well, something slaps me down.

Had a great run going yesterday getting midway through Elysium with a ton of extra HP, a bunch of Rare and Epic upgrades, and all my continues. Thought I'd cruise through, but came up against the giant "Armored Ball o' Butterflies" mid-boss that absolutely wrecked my shit. Burned through 2 lives and most of a third just on that. Was so damn frustrating.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 pm
Malificent wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 pm

Murr deerrr

Meerrdeerrr

Murderrrr

(does that count?) :ninja:
Spoiler:
That changes too, in very amusing ways.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moat_Man wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:00 am First game I ever returned on Steam after 29 minutes of play. Didn't like the the keyboard controls with the diagonal movement. It was the same with Bastion. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more with standard ARPG controls.
I kind of felt the same, but I’m going to grab a controller and see if that helps me get past my issues with the movement. There is a lot to like about the game besides that.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FWIW, I can't imagine this game on a keyboard. Sounds awful.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I'm playing on keyboard...doesn't seem too bad... I've completed 8 of my last 12 runs.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Update: Skelly is a dick.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:34 am Update: Skelly is a dick.
I believe I know what you're referring to and yes, yes he is.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:32 pm I'm playing on keyboard...doesn't seem too bad... I've completed 8 of my last 12 runs.
:shock:

I've done over 100 runs and still haven't completed 8 in total. I still haven't even beat the furies with a bow, which I have upgraded several times.

Spoiler?
Spoiler:
Though I should beat a fury when I use a bow next, as I just unlocked my first companion.
Not sure how much longer I'll play without going in to god mode. I just don't have the coordination for games like this, even if I am enjoying the long slow unlocking story.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

For me it’s really all about getting Athena’s dash boon. If I get that I can handle pretty much anything. Also, once you have a gods boon, you are more likely to get more boons from that god, so by using the god specific items you can basically ensure that you will get access to certain boons over your run. Just switch out the items in each area since they guarantee the next boon you get will be from that god.

The shield in general is the most useful weapon in my opinion because it is the only weapon that lets you block. If you go up against the final boss and he does his laser attack you can just sit in front of him and block the whole time.

One thing I am curious about for you is your weapon upgrades. This wasn’t immediately clear to me, but the weapon upgrades don’t stack, each of the 4 options are its own unique weapon. Early on I tried to put points into all of them thinking I would get all the effects but you are basically choosing how you are going to play that run when you select one.

For the bow, choose the second upgrade path and look for hammer upgrades during your run. Get the ones that give you additional shots for your special and additional damage for consecutive hits and you will be a death machine. With that bow, hit once, hide somewhere safe and just hit your special and all your little arrows will fly to your marked enemy without needing to aim. During my last run with that weapon, my Special attack was doing about 1,200 damage a go. Artemis is your friend when using the bow, get all the crit upgrades.
Last edited by Lordnine on Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My daughters are enjoying God mode.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lordnine wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:21 pm One thing I am curious about for you is your weapon upgrades. This wasn’t immediately clear to me, but the weapon upgrades don’t stack, each of the 4 options are its own unique weapon. Early on I tried to put points into all of them thinking I would get all the effects but you are basically choosing how you are going to play that run when you select one.

Say What?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:31 pm
Lordnine wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:21 pm One thing I am curious about for you is your weapon upgrades. This wasn’t immediately clear to me, but the weapon upgrades don’t stack, each of the 4 options are its own unique weapon. Early on I tried to put points into all of them thinking I would get all the effects but you are basically choosing how you are going to play that run when you select one.

Say What?
Each weapon has four aspects, which you unlock and improve in Skelly's room with Titan Blood.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:37 pm
LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Say What?
Each weapon has four aspects, which you unlock and improve in Skelly's room with Titan Blood.
I got that. I didn't know they were mutually exclusive aspects.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The look and move set of each is unique.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Apparently I've been playing too much Hades: my Switch's fan bearing went bad and the system started to sound like a freight train. Spent my lunch hour like this:

All better now, though!

Obtained my first two companions. Got a jukebox. Fun times in the underworld...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hades completed in a 7 minute speedrun

https://www.gamesradar.com/hades-speedr ... 7-minutes/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:37 pm Obtained my first two companions. Got a jukebox. Fun times in the underworld...
Ha! I got my first companion before you! Set the game down last week, though. Back on a gaming hiatus. I went from no gaming to too many failed runs a day in Hades quickly. Still hadn't even beat any of the furies with the bow at that point.