Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:12 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:14 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:09 pm Not about chicken sandwiches, but due to the impacts of COVID my employer is allowing us to roll an extra week of vacation over to next year. Normally we can roll 40 hours over, this year we can roll 80.

I have a hard enough time taking 4 weeks off, now you want me to take 5 next year (6 if I actually use that one week I've been rolling over since 2002)? Maybe I should buy an extra week and just take a couple months off.
It's not healthy. I'm at 227.2 hours and I have to scramble every time I approach the cap.
My wife has lost time to the cap this year. She is permitted to sell it at 90% and she complains about losing that 10%. It's hard to convince her that 90% is way better than 0%. She has been at the same hospital for 22 years and works part time. She earns almost as much vacation time as she works (not really, but it can feel that way) and has almost no need to take a vacation and with the workload few opportunities these days.
When I left my previous job at 19 years I had 350 sick days that went poof. They were legacies from before PTO and could only be used for short term disability (100% paid) in the PTO.era. I had 230+ PTO that I cashed but losing those sick days was kind of annoying. I was getting something like 1 PTO day for every 8 days worked.

Starting back at 0 put me in conservation mode. Unnecessary, it turns out.
You had 350 days of sick leave saved after 19 years? How fast did you accumulate sick leave? I thought the 4 hours of sick leave I earned every pay period was generous, and it would take me 27 years where I work, without using ANY sick leave, to get 350 days of it.

I currently have 27 days of annual leave and 132.5 days of sick leave. I can carry over 30 days of annual leave and unlimited sick leave every year.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So Ontario reported the highest number of cases ever yesterday, slightly topping the previous record from late April. Of course, less testing was being performed back then.

I wonder if my office (call center) will actually start asking people to use masks considering 6ft distancing is impossible. It's an ongoing source of confusion and frustration that they haven't, outside of providing some complimentary ones that almost no one has chosen to wear. Yeah... and I live in the progressive part of Canada. The mayor's office was looking at making mask-use mandatory in offices the other day, along with commercial businesses and the public areas of apartments/condos like it has been for months. I continue to be one of the privileged ones working from home, but I'd expected to be recalled to the office this month. About 20% of our staff were given the opportunity to work from home in April, when management "promised" it would be 95%. About 5% of those were recalled in July.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here in LA County I can't imagine leaving the house without a mask on. No way. Covid is a terrible disease and I hate being sick and I would hate it even worse if I made someone else sick or the worst, die. And honestly, not sure when I'll stop wearing a mask. Apparently masks do give some protection from Covid to people who are wearing them, as well as other airborne diseases, so I'm all in.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freyland wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 am And kiddie pools.
And washing the dog with the hose.
Hell, and kids drinking from the hose. And water balloons in your face. Etc.
It's a good thing that Texas summers end promptly at the autumnal equinox, then.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm more curious as to how the amoebae ended up being churned into the water supply. Are reservoirs at low levels and they're drawing form the bottom? Was there just insane rains that drained into the reservoirs and churned up the bottom into the intake pumps? Had they been filtering and chlorinating for this prior and something happened (lack of maintenance, people out/being overworked)?

Always more questions.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
TCEQ is currently testing the chlorine levels in the City of Lake Jackson's water source and has determined it will take approximately three days to clear the system. Local residents can receive a free case of water from the city in the interim.
According to the CDC, 145 people were infected from 1962 to 2018 and only four survived.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:53 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:09 pm Not about chicken sandwiches, but due to the impacts of COVID my employer is allowing us to roll an extra week of vacation over to next year. Normally we can roll 40 hours over, this year we can roll 80.

I have a hard enough time taking 4 weeks off, now you want me to take 5 next year (6 if I actually use that one week I've been rolling over since 2002)? Maybe I should buy an extra week and just take a couple months off.
It's not healthy. I'm at 227.2 hours and I have to scramble every time I approach the cap.
My wife has lost time to the cap this year. She is permitted to sell it at 90% and she complains about losing that 10%. It's hard to convince her that 90% is way better than 0%. She has been at the same hospital for 22 years and works part time. She earns almost as much vacation time as she works (not really, but it can feel that way) and has almost no need to take a vacation and with the workload few opportunities these days.
When I left my previous job at 19 years I had 350 sick days that went poof. They were legacies from before PTO and could only be used for short term disability (100% paid) in the PTO.era. I had 230+ PTO that I cashed but losing those sick days was kind of annoying. I was getting something like 1 PTO day for every 8 days worked.

You had 350 days of sick leave saved after 19 years? How fast did you accumulate sick leave? I thought the 4 hours of sick leave I earned every pay period was generous, and it would take me 27 years where I work, without using ANY sick leave, to get 350 days of it.

I currently have 27 days of annual leave and 132.5 days of sick leave. I can carry over 30 days of annual leave and unlimited sick leave every year.
That's supposed to be 350 hours, my bad. About 9 weeks.
:oops:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:53 am

That's supposed to be 350 hours, my bad. About 9 weeks.
:oops:
Heh. I read that and initially got really envious of your time off package!
Hodor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

COVID-19 Literature Situation Report, updated weekdays by a team at the University of Washington. worth keeping tabs on:

https://depts.washington.edu/pandemical ... on-report/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Denver Broncos had the entire town of South Park in the stands for their game.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reuters
Results from an early safety study of Moderna Inc's MRNA.O coronavirus vaccine candidate in older adults showed that it produced virus-neutralizing antibodies at levels similar to those seen in younger adults, with side effects roughly on par with high-dose flu shots, researchers said on Tuesday.
The study was an extension of Moderna’s Phase I safety trial, first conducted in individuals aged 18-55. It tested two doses of Moderna’s vaccine - 25 micrograms and 100 micrograms - in 40 adults aged 56 to 70 and 71 and older.

Overall, the team found that in older adults who received two injections of the 100 microgram dose 28 days apart, the vaccine produced immune responses roughly in line with those seen in younger adults.

Moderna is already testing the higher dose in a large Phase III trial, the final stage before seeking emergency authorization or approval.

Side effects, which included headache, fatigue, body aches, chills and injection site pain, were deemed mainly mild to moderate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 pm Neanderthal DNA makes some of us more susceptible to Covid-19.
Tony Capra, a geneticist at Vanderbilt University who was not involved in the study, thought it was plausible that the Neanderthal chunk of DNA originally provided a benefit — perhaps even against other viruses. “But that was 40,000 years ago, and here we are now,” he said.

It’s possible that an immune response that worked against ancient viruses has ended up overreacting against the new coronavirus. People who develop severe cases of Covid-19 typically do so because their immune systems launch uncontrolled attacks that end up scarring their lungs and causing inflammation.
Reuters
When they compared the genetic profiles of about 3,200 hospitalized COVID-19 patients and nearly 900,000 people from the general population, they found that a cluster of genes on chromosome 3 inherited from Neanderthals who lived more than 50,000 years ago is linked with 60% higher odds of needing hospitalization.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Of course. Healthcare plans were practically nonexistent back then.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, the wait times were interminable
Years ago, the anthropologist Margaret Mead was asked by a student what she considered to be the first sign of civilization in a culture. The student expected Mead to talk about clay pots, tools for hunting, grinding-stones, or religious artifacts.

But no. Mead said that the first evidence of civilization was a 15,000 years old fractured femur found in an archaeological site. A femur is the longest bone in the body, linking hip to knee. In societies without the benefits of modern medicine, it takes about six weeks of rest for a fractured femur to heal. This particular bone had been broken and had healed.
A broken femur that has healed is evidence that another person has taken time to stay with the fallen, has bound up the wound, has carried the person to safety and has tended them through recovery. A healed femur indicates that someone has helped a fellow human, rather than abandoning them to save their own life.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
The numbers of confirmed cases are partly dependent on the number of tests administered, which is why the state tracks positivity rate as one of its key indicators.

The state's weekly positivity rate hit a record high of 24% as of Aug. 11 and has recently come down closer to 7%. The rate is averaged over the previous seven days and calculates the ratio of positive new cases compared with the number of tests conducted.

Gov. Greg Abbott has previously said that a rate of 10% or more is cause for concern. Here is a look at the rate since early April.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife's nurse who comes out here a few days a week to take care of her has been assigned a Covid patient too.
I must admit it makes us a little nervous having her come here after that. We've been wondering if we should have her wear a mask while she's here.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My brother and I had a bit of a scare last week. Went to a fall beer tasting at a mutual friend's house. I was a little nervous about going. However we stayed outside, social distanced, etc. and it was just the three of us.

I get the call from my brother a few days later that the guy had tested positive for Covid - apparently he had picked it up at work. :shock:

So we both had to run out and get tested (fortunately all was good). However, it brought to light how even the smallest of gatherings is never going to be 100% safe.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:20 am My wife's nurse who comes out here a few days a week to take care of her has been assigned a Covid patient too.
I must admit it makes us a little nervous having her come here after that. We've been wondering if we should have her wear a mask while she's here.
Absolutely, 100% yes. You guys should also be wearing masks while she's there.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:28 am
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:20 am My wife's nurse who comes out here a few days a week to take care of her has been assigned a Covid patient too.
Absolutely, 100% yes. You guys should also be wearing masks while she's there.
If she doesn't wear a mask get a different nurse who does.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah, no one enters my house without a mask on. Full stop.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why is there even a possibility that she doesn't? She should even if she didn't have a COVID patient.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:21 pm
Why is there even a possibility that she doesn't? She should even if she didn't have a COVID patient.
The nurse shouldn't even be assigned both COVID and non-COVID patients. You shouldn't be in this position at all. A few different doctor and nurse friends I have say that their hospitals strictly keep COVID and non-COVID interacting staff away from each other, but I guess that's not a universal policy.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:13 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:21 pm
The nurse shouldn't even be assigned both COVID and non-COVID patients. You shouldn't be in this position at all. A few different doctor and nurse friends I have say that their hospitals strictly keep COVID and non-COVID interacting staff away from each other, but I guess that's not a universal policy.
To be fair, she might well be the only nurse in the county.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Well... I hope!

Post by The Meal »

I think this is just dbt's impish sense of humor at work.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ahh, I bet you're right.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I found out my wife got it wrong. At her full time job my wife's nurse is filling in for somebody who had to stay home and take care of her daughter.
So.....................never mind. :oops:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The nurse and you and your wife should still wear masks when the nurse is in your house, though.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The situation here has now officially gone pear-shaped.

'I'm sounding the alarm': Etches issues dire warning as COVID-19 continues rapid spread
Ottawa's medical officer of health issued a dire warning to residents Friday, saying the entire health-care system is on the verge of collapse if individuals don't take personal responsibility to slow the spread of COVID-19.

"Our health system is in crisis because of the COVID-19 pandemic," Dr. Vera Etches said during a video teleconference Friday morning.

"As Ottawa's medical officer of health, I'm sounding the alarm. This is our warning bell. With this spike, we've entered crisis territory, and if we do not slow the transmission it will lead to stricter lockdown, closure of businesses, public venues, even schools."

Her comments came the same day Ottawa saw 142 new cases of COVID-19, setting a new daily record. The previous high was 105. Hospitalizations have also doubled over the last 10 days, Etches said.

Etches described a testing and contact tracing system that's "nearly broken" under the current demand, and said the city's hospitals and long-term care homes are stretched to capacity.

The only way to immediately prevent the situation from getting worse, Etches said, is for individuals to limit their close contacts to their households and one or two other "essential supports" such as caregivers. With everyone else, they should wear masks and maintain a two-metre distance.

Otherwise, she said the city could soon see more than 200 new cases a day, and could face another lockdown.

"What can be done quickly is changing our behaviour," Etches said. "Prevention is the only way now, today, that we can slow the crisis in the rest of the health system."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

142 cases is a daily record? That's adorable. MA had 708 yesterday -- the highest since early May, but nowhere near our record.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:30 pm 142 cases is a daily record? That's adorable. MA had 708 yesterday -- the highest since early May, but nowhere near our record.
It's all about hospital capacity. If Ottawa had as many cases as LA county has, people would be lying on the sidewalks sick.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The state of MA has about 6 or 7 times the population of the city of Ottawa, so the per capita rates are fairly comparable.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:17 pm The state of MA has about 6 or 7 times the population of the city of Ottawa, so the per capita rates are fairly comparable.
Ah, my bad, I was conflating it with Ontario. It's more comparable to the city of Boston, where 142 daily cases would be worrisome. We had 98 today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was standing in Walmart today looking at the empty shelf where Lysol should be when a woman and her grown daughter walked past me to something that was in stock. I didn't see what it was but it was a limited buy item. The exchange went like this...

woman - grab some of those
daughter - but they say only .......
woman - I dont care your grandmother is on dialysis and can use them
daughter - But you're only supposed....
woman - just grab a bunch we're getting them.

My first thought was I guess they need them. My next was wait a sec what about the NEXT customer whose grandmother or someone needs them and you've grabbed too many.

Asshats.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:11 pm I was standing in Walmart today looking at the empty shelf where Lysol should be when a woman and her grown daughter walked past me to something that was in stock. I didn't see what it was but it was a limited buy item. The exchange went like this...

woman - grab some of those
daughter - but they say only .......
woman - I dont care your grandmother is on dialysis and can use them
daughter - But you're only supposed....
woman - just grab a bunch we're getting them.

My first thought was I guess they need them. My next was wait a sec what about the NEXT customer whose grandmother or someone needs them and you've grabbed too many.

Asshats.
Wait until it's food instead of dish gloves or clorox spray.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A few months ago I poked myself in the eye -- my good eye, the one that's not clouded over with cataracts -- and got a big floater in my center of vision, flashes of light when I turn my head too fast, and the feeling of something on the surface that oceans of eye drops can't wash away. I probably scratched my cornea. Because of the pandemic, and because "walk it off" is my default for every ailment, I didn't call the eye doc. It didn't get any better, but it didn't get any worse. I'm old; I figured I'll just live with it since I don't have that many years left anyway.

Couple of weeks ago it started getting noticeably worse. I called the eye doc and got a recording saying that because of the pandemic, they have long waits. I retreated because F long waits. Today it started throbbing, so I called again. My usual doc's first appointment was Dec. 29. Uhh, that's, like, forever from now. This practice has 19 doctors spread among various locations, two of which I can easily access, so I asked for first available with any doc. First available was Nov. 2.

I'm thinking about getting an eye patch in the meantime. I'm comical with my cataract eye a few inches from my screen while my left hand holds the injured eye closed. Since my livelihood is reading words on a screen, I need at least one good eye.

The young lady on the phone encouraged me to call frequently to ask about cancellations. A lot of people let eye problems slide during the first wave...and now the second wave is gathering steam. I hope they won't shut down again in the next month.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oddly I got a call from the VA today setting up an appointment with the VA doctor. It had been postponed for 4-5 months. Oct.29th for me. Besides being blind I have glaucoma.
At least I didn't poke myself in the eye. :shock:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those flashes of light are worrying. I think thats a sign of a detached retina.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:17 am At least I didn't poke myself in the eye. :shock:
This is the second time I've done that in my sleep. I should probably be restrained.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:02 am Those flashes of light are worrying. I think thats a sign of a detached retina.
Indeed.

There may be corneal issues with the scratching, but floaters and flashes are signs the retina is coming apart. Retinal reattachment is no walk in the park.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Can’t you call another eye doc? Don’t wait for a month just so you can see your regular doctor.
Black Lives Matter