Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GungHo

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by GungHo »

malchior wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:57 pm
GungHo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:48 pmReading the comments that this is more of a transfer than a 'discharge' is an interesting note.
Let's be clear here. There has been no transfer. He went around the block and returned to Walter Reed. This was a disgusting, reckless PR stunt that put people's lives in danger. He also encouraged these maskless fucks to think this is no big deal. This is seriously an amazing low moment here for our nation. I'm sick to my stomach.
RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:55 pm
malchior wrote:He isn't discharged. It's a stunt. Tomorrow he might go back to the WH which itself has a pretty good medical unit. This is all a fucking reality show. Again more evidence we are far into the abyss here. This is reckless stuff here.
Did he just drive around the parking lot or something?
Yes. It was a short trip around the facility. Those men likely have to quarantine for the next 2 weeks now. It's unimaginable what he just did.

Edit: For context,

Jeez. What do you even say to that?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

"UK PM Johnson, who had COVID, says sure Trump will be fine" (Reuters)

208,000 dead Americans, who had COVID, say "Ask again later".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sure doesn't seem like covid to me. Perhaps he just had severe gas and couldn't breath out of his ass while farting.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Defiant wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:54 pm
thanks for the spoiler. i got an Edgar Allen Poe collection recently and was going to read that one... :evil:
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think everything Trump says and does is intended to be consumed by the true believers. He's President so everyone around him is along for the ride like it or not, he doesn't care. The rest of us shouldn't bother trying to make sense of his words or actions because we aren't part of the cult.

For instance, he says he's learned a lot about COVID-19 and not just book learning. To me that's just stupid. Over 200k thousand people in the US have died of it and he's just now learning about it because he has it? I bet his cult members don't see it that way. I bet they feel vindicated, their leader has learned first hand all they need to know and he will deliver unto them his wisdom.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

American Death toll:

Korean War: 36,516

Vietnam War: 58,220

Covid19: 208,000+
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We will hit 0.068% when we hit 228,160.

We're at 214,611 at the moment, and trending ~700/day, so... before Halloween.

WWI levels will take us 369,178.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What happened between 2004 and 2016???
Spoiler:
Obama
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:47 pm American Death toll:

Korean War: 36,516 -- 3 years

Vietnam War: 58,220 -- 10 years

Covid19: 208,000+ -- 7 months
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
The result? An apparent laissez-faire attitude toward the novel coronavirus that is now raising both health and national security concerns, with Pence ramping up his campaign appearance schedule while Trump remains hospitalized.

Experts wonder why someone in Pence's situation is not under isolation to reduce both his risk of exposure and the vulnerability of the Trump White House.
On Friday, Pence spokesman Devin O'Malley tweeted that Pence remains "healthy," adding that he gets tested every day for COVID-19. A test Saturday also yielded a negative result, an administration official said.

O'Malley told USA TODAY on Saturday that Pence’s physician determined that the CDC guidelines of close contact with a COVID-19-positive person – most notably contact less than 6 feet apart and/or more than 15 minutes, and occurring within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms – has not occurred. Additionally, the same White House physician determined that the vice president is in good health and is free to go about his normal activities as he continues to be tested daily and is in routine contact with the White House Medical Unit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Korea + Vietnam + WWI combined: 211,241.

We'll beat them by the end of the week. We'll be able to add in the American Revolution, both Iraqi wars, Afghanastan, and the War of 1812 by Christmas. And that's assuming we stay at the current levels.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We have already beaten that total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:34 am USA Today
The Additionally, the same White House physician determined that the vice president is in good health and is free to go about his normal activities as he continues to be tested daily and is in routine contact with the White House Medical Unit.
"Free to go about his normal activities..."

While nearly everyone else is living a completely different life than 8 months ago.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:22 pmThe whole Trump clan managed to arrive late enough to avoid the debate’s arranged testing. Coincidence I’m sure.
Remember when Republicans seemed to be deliberately trying to get Democrats sick? I wouldn't be surprised to hear Trump knew he was sick and was simply hoping he could outlive Biden if he passed it on.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What I love is that Trump got his own personal special use authorization for an uber cocktail during his stay at a premier facilityand it's being treated as, "See, totally survivable!"

The Regeneron CEO was personally involved, the FDA got a phone call, shit that doesn't happen for Joe Public when they get diagnosed.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:45 am What I love is that Trump got his own personal special use authorization for an uber cocktail during his stay at a premier facilityand it's being treated as, "See, totally survivable!"

The Regeneron CEO was personally involved, the FDA got a phone call, shit that doesn't happen for Joe Public when they get diagnosed.
This is what I assume. Everyone around him gets tested every day. He knows the absolute moment it is testable and then gets the best treatment influence can buy and if it's no big deal to him then it will no big deal. Give him his hydra-colorformfun and let him sit the in waiting room at the VA.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:04 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Korea + Vietnam + WWI combined: 211,241.

We'll beat them by the end of the week. We'll be able to add in the American Revolution, both Iraqi wars, Afghanastan, and the War of 1812 by Christmas. And that's assuming we stay at the current levels.
As shocking as the numbers are, wars and pandemics are so different that the comparisons aren't very relevant. Illuminating, though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Defiant wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:04 pm From that thread, re side effects:

How would we be able to tell?

Very stable.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's not great that I need to ask this, but I *assume* that crazy font is added by an app or something on your end, and isn't something originating with Trump, right?
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Plugin.

Mine mostly stopped working.

Edit: Make Trump Tweets Eight Again

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am It's not great that I need to ask this, but I *assume* that crazy font is added by an app or something on your end, and isn't something originating with Trump, right?
Yeah, it's the extension that TheMix mentioned. Installed before the last election, and has remained a context-relevant upgrade to DJT tweets ever since.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The circle expands again - Kayleigh McEnany now confirmed positive. She says she had no close contact. I seem to recall her walking right up to the press pool on Thursday.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

DiBlasio and Cuomo are continuing their political slapfight over NYC's COVID response.

Several neighborhoods here have seen alarming increases in COVID diagnosis rates, so the mayor declared that in the affected ZIP codes, public schools will go all-remote and non-essential businesses will temporarily close.

Cuomo, who cannot resist an opportunity to needle DiBlasio, immediately declared that A) the city is moving too slowly, so the schools will go all-remote a day earlier than the mayor had planned; and B) the city is moving too quickly, so we won't close non-essential businesses until we have a better understanding of which specific areas are affected.

I am so over these two.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I had to go into Queens on Saturday and they have TONs of outside dining and the tables are like 2 feet apart from each other. I think Smoove would have started twitching if he saw what I saw. I have no idea how the rest of the city looks, but I highly doubt it's much different in the rest of the area. It's going to be an ugly winter...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I imagine winter would cut down on outside dining...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:45 pm I imagine winter would cut down on outside dining...
Nope. Restaurants are already trying to figure out how to say open - tents, free-standing heaters, wind screens. It's going to be great.
Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:37 pm I had to go into Queens on Saturday and they have TONs of outside dining and the tables are like 2 feet apart from each other. I think Smoove would have started twitching if he saw what I saw.
My mom's birthday was this weekend and she's laying on the guilt. When asked, she said she wants to go to a restaurant and have a nice sit down meal. I indicated...so next October then?

My unofficial informal survey of people in public health/epidemiology/infection control suggests 95% of us are doing takeout and have not been dining away from home (indoors or out) since March.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I dined by myself at Denny's once, Smoove forgive me...
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did you hear that as of this past Friday, SC allows 100% restaurant occupancy?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:52 pm I dined by myself at Denny's once, Smoove forgive me...
I went through my college years dining myself at Denny's and Silverman's (local and now gone), drinking coffee and doing my school work... or blowing it off cause someone else I knew walked in and then we were off gabbing all night. The groups of us who did this separately together collectively became known as the campers.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

He is fucking rage inducing. :grund:

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!
"Don't be afraid of COVID!" - Signed, Herman Cain
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -road-trip

Saw this on my Firefox feed. If this were better times, I'd be all for it.

WRT POTUS, of course that's his response as long as he's not competing for medical care and he's getting the treatment developed in spite of the treatments he insisted on pushing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 pm He is fucking rage inducing. :grund:

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!
No word about Melania. Stay classy, you berk.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 pm He is fucking rage inducing. :grund:

...he tweeted, from the hospital, while being treated by a team of top-tier docs and on a concoction of treatments/drugs unavailable and/or unaffordable to the general public.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Or there's this person, who said it better with fewer word-things:

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

His supporters are going to be even more insufferable. Their behavior, however, may cause them to have their own intimate experience with the coronavirus and they may find that their health care might be a bit different than what you would get as the president in Walter Reed....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

His supporters tend to be the kind of people who think "If it worked for me then it'll work for you or you are the problem". Translate that attitude to dealing with a contagious virus and it becomes a question of personal strength. If you get infected you should be able to fight it off because I did is the attitude. There is no room in their world for complexity. So the idea that the virus can affect different people in different ways escapes them. Mentioning the level of care he gets won't matter to them because if he recovers they will credit his strength and see any suggestion that something else had anything to with it as an attack on his strength.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:50 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:45 pm I imagine winter would cut down on outside dining...
Nope. Restaurants are already trying to figure out how to say open - tents, free-standing heaters, wind screens. It's going to be great.
I went for a walk with the kiddo on Saturday. We went by a place that had outdoor dining and featured a bubble for the outdoor seating. A literal bubble-looking clear tent that looked like something out of a mid-budget Mars movie. Sat about 7 or 8 around a round table. Looked like it had a heater inside. I expect to see more if indoor dining is shut down for the winter.

Not sure I'd want to be in one in a blustery Chicago winter day, not because of the cold but the wind. Thing would rattle and deform like crazy. Also, how would they possibly clean between seatings? I suspect someone sold them a UV lamp or something, maybe spray with some placebo spray. Not my cup of tea.
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:50 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:37 pm I had to go into Queens on Saturday and they have TONs of outside dining and the tables are like 2 feet apart from each other. I think Smoove would have started twitching if he saw what I saw.
My mom's birthday was this weekend and she's laying on the guilt. When asked, she said she wants to go to a restaurant and have a nice sit down meal. I indicated...so next October then?

My unofficial informal survey of people in public health/epidemiology/infection control suggests 95% of us are doing takeout and have not been dining away from home (indoors or out) since March.
I've probably dined indoors outside of the home/office 3 times since March and outdoors at a restaurant 4 or 5 times.

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 pm
"Don't be afraid of COVID!" - Signed, Herman Cain

prepare for the winter of mass carnage at this rate