Among Us

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Eel Snave

Among Us

Post by Eel Snave »

Anyone playing this? It's SO GOOD, y'all. It's Werewolf in space and I'm obsessed.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Blackhawk

Re: Among Us

Post by Blackhawk »

I have had two different people try to get me to play. I absolutely cannot play social deduction games. It's an autism thing. I can't lie worth a damn, and I have zero sense of when somebody else is lying. It means that I'm always the first identified if I'm the [blank], and don't really contribute when I'm not. All of which combine to make playing them very uncomfortable.

It's the reason I don't play poker, and why I avoid board games with a traitor mechanic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

You know he's lying, right?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Freyland wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:50 am You know he's lying, right?
FWIW, I actually had to go back and re-read his post to see if I'd missed some clue.

:confusion-seeingstars:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Teehee...
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Not my kind of thing but my kids are both obsessed with it. If they aren't playing it, they're watching meme compilations about it on Youtube!
I no longer post here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It absolutely looks like a blast that I absolutely won't ever play. I've enjoyed watching several videos of people going ape on each other over who's the Imposter. I just don't have the privacy at home to engage in a game where I'd need to constantly talk (loudly) at people. My gaming time is when everyone else is sleeping.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My son has been playing it obsessively, and I've enjoyed the few games I've tried. I think it would be best played by friends, when you can get together on Zoom or in person, so that you're not limited to the chat window and can avoid griefers.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Eel Snave wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:00 pm Anyone playing this? It's SO GOOD, y'all. It's Werewolf in space and I'm obsessed.
Yep, I am. playing a bit.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:04 am It absolutely looks like a blast that I absolutely won't ever play. I've enjoyed watching several videos of people going ape on each other over who's the Imposter. I just don't have the privacy at home to engage in a game where I'd need to constantly talk (loudly) at people. My gaming time is when everyone else is sleeping.
It's all typing. I've never had to use a mic, which thank god because I hate talking in games.
Downwards Compatible
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Some of my friends are obsessed with this and so I played it with them this weekend for the first time. It was fun enough, but I don't really get the obsession. Perhaps I'm just a bit worn out of social deduction games.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Eel Snave wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:24 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:04 am It absolutely looks like a blast that I absolutely won't ever play. I've enjoyed watching several videos of people going ape on each other over who's the Imposter. I just don't have the privacy at home to engage in a game where I'd need to constantly talk (loudly) at people. My gaming time is when everyone else is sleeping.
It's all typing. I've never had to use a mic, which thank god because I hate talking in games.
Didn't even know you could. Every YouTube video I've seen was hilarious - and people were yelling at each other.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:55 am
Eel Snave wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:24 am
Didn't even know you could. Every YouTube video I've seen was hilarious - and people were yelling at each other.
Maybe they yell when they type?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Discord while playing with friends most likely.

Not for me. It's kind of like werewolf but with some actual (no, not factual) information other than prior votes to base your votes on. It looks cool, but this is one of those times I relate to Blackhawk pretty well. I suck at lying and I am a terrible lie detector.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

All 3 of my brood are into this bigly right now.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

We also used Discord. Muted while playing and then unmuted for the discussions/votes. I won one game as the saboteur by lying that I was colorblind when confronted about who I saw in a room. :horse:
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:25 pm I won one game as the saboteur by lying that I was colorblind when confronted about who I saw in a room. :horse:
Ooh, good one. I'll have to remember that.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Paradroid wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:45 am Not my kind of thing but my kids are both obsessed with it. If they aren't playing it, they're watching meme compilations about it on Youtube!
I haven't played it or watched it being played but I have seen an Among Us meme video on Youtube where the meme was something like "I haven't played it but I've seen so many memes of it that I know how to play it". I feel the same way, I feel like I could probably pick it up and jump right in like I've been playing it all this time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's free to play on phones, $5 on Steam.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

On the phone (or iPad), there are very short ads between games. They are super non-intrusive.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I feel like such a spoil sport when this game is brought up. A bunch of friends got everyone together a couple times to play this. I enjoyed it for about three rounds and then…meh? It feels too easy to meta game it. Have everyone walk around in big groups while stopping at each station and it is nearly impossible for the aliens to win.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

What is the sweet spot for number of players?
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 pm I feel like such a spoil sport when this game is brought up. A bunch of friends got everyone together a couple times to play this. I enjoyed it for about three rounds and then…meh? It feels too easy to meta game it. Have everyone walk around in big groups while stopping at each station and it is nearly impossible for the aliens to win.
I had one yesterday where we all gathered in the cafe and had a dance party for like five minutes after doing our tasks. There are things you CAN do to make it easier and guarantee a win, but I dunno if it's in the spirit of the game.
Downwards Compatible
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ænima wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm What is the sweet spot for number of players?
I think it works fine with different player counts. If you have 4-6 players then have one impostor, and if you have 8-10 players then have two impostors.

I've also heard the Polus map is a lot of people's favorite map (with Mira being the least favorite). I've only tried Polus a couple times, but I like how it has airlocks you have to pause in before passing through. Brought up some great suspicious suspenseful murdery moments in the matches I played.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I believe we'll be giving it our first go tonight. Normally we play the Jackbox party games but there's been some talk about giving this a try.

If so, I'm looking forward to it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Brian

Post by Brian »

So yeah, played several games, got to be the killer a couple times. I was not aware of the security cameras so got caught red-handed and ejected right away.

I did manage both a solo win and a shared win as the intruder as well as several wins as a crewmate.

The Meal pulled off a really nice win as the intruder on our last game of the night. He spiked me right through the face. :doh:

Had another moment where my wife, as the imposter, meant to hit the sabotage button but instead hit the KILL button and murdered a crewmate in front of at least three people. That was a quick game. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln