Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IceBear

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 (now confirmed)

Post by IceBear »

I think people look back and see things more fondly than they were at the time. I will admit that flying ships are something I like and part of what drew me to Eberron
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

IceBear wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 pm I think people look back and see things more fondly than they were at the time.
That. People are missing the 80s and the experience of playing D&D in the basement with their friends, which just happened to include Spelljammer. They mistake that for love for Spelljammer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Spelljammer is the only "big box" D&D module I owned but never actually played. I'm still not sure what I was thinking when I bought it.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Anyone understand why there were multiple dead mindflayers just laying around on the Nautiloid Dreadnought in the trailer?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Freyland wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 amAnyone understand why there were multiple dead mindflayers just laying around on the Nautiloid Dreadnought in the trailer?
They had probably been stabbed with plot devices.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Freyland wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 am Anyone understand why there were multiple dead mindflayers just laying around on the Nautiloid Dreadnought in the trailer?
Not known for a fact, but maybe they are (spoilered for people that haven't seen the trailer yet)
Spoiler:
failed transformations from human to illithid? Or better yet, those dragonriders seemed to pretty hot on their trail, they might have been killed in battle recently? The one flying the ship seems to be the only living one on there, so maybe he dropped into Baulder's Gate to replenish his army with fresh hosts for the squirmy wormies?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hyena wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 pm
Freyland wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 am Anyone understand why there were multiple dead mindflayers just laying around on the Nautiloid Dreadnought in the trailer?
Not known for a fact, but maybe they are (spoilered for people that haven't seen the trailer yet)
Spoiler:
failed transformations from human to illithid? Or better yet, those dragonriders seemed to pretty hot on their trail, they might have been killed in battle recently? The one flying the ship seems to be the only living one on there, so maybe he dropped into Baulder's Gate to replenish his army with fresh hosts for the squirmy wormies?
I had wondered about your second option, but it really seems the trailer is way too vague. Maybe once the game is underway they explain more.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There's a 5th Edition module on Dmsguild.com called Call of the Deep. It's from a year ago and deals with a mindflayer nautiloid crashing in the northern Forgotten Realms and all the hilarity that ensues.
Spoiler:
the elder brain bonds with a kraken and takes over all the pirates and sahaugin on the Sword Coast and ends up attacking Neverwinter, Waterdeep and Baulder's Gate...it's a massive adventure
Anyway the author said he researched a lot of the background on the mindflayers...the gith have pretty much wiped them out and then each of the elder brains more or less consider the mindflayers from other elder brains inferior. They are a race on the brink of extinction. So the mindflayer we see in the video could be the sole survivor after numerous gith attacks or, as someone said, failed ceamorphosis (spelling is wrong)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Today's gameplay livestream looked pretty good to me.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watch it played live. Im not sure but I think this shows a new stream than the one posted above. Not sure.

https://dnd.wizards.com/dndlive2020_watch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The new Early Access target date was announced on today's "Panel From Hell" dev stream: 30 Sep 2020.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure about this. It looks an awful lot like Dragon Age. Im not the biggest DA fan. I like them. Finished the first two twice and enjoyed the third. But this is Baldurs Gate. It should be over head perspective. I love over head view RPG games. Sigh. Things change I guess.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:04 pm Im not sure about this. It looks an awful lot like Dragon Age. Im not the biggest DA fan. I like them. Finished the first two twice and enjoyed the third. But this is Baldurs Gate. It should be over head perspective. I love over head view RPG games. Sigh. Things change I guess.
It is overhead, from what I saw in that video. Guy was doing a LOT of manual camera movement, so no idea what the "default" would be, but I'm very happy to see the same perspective as I saw in the first two. Now you can definitely get closer to the ground and characters in this one (and the camera seems to be a lot more flexible), but DA was more "over the shoulder" IIRC, not really top down.

I never, I don't think ever buy games "Day One" but this is about as close as it would get for me personally. I can count on my hands the number of games I've bought within a month or even two of release probably (in the last decade). The last one was SW Jedi - Fallen Order. And as amazing as that game is, I kinda regret buying it when (and at the price point) I did simply bc I dumped a couple three hours into checking it out, then have not gone back to finish it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would be a day 1 for me if it came out say 2005 and was old Bioware. But with Larian no. I loved Divine Divinity and nothing after that. Ive tried to like Original Sin a few times but it just doesn't click. Really hate having to carry both sides of a party characters conversation. But its other things too. I hope it turns out good though as Ill grab it on sale one day.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've liked everything I've seen so far, enough so that I'll probably throw my money at them when it goes into early access. If everyone is able to stick with their respective target dates, it will land nicely in the gap between when I initially bounce off Crusader Kings III and dive into Watch Dogs Legion.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

STEAM (by way of Blues News) has the system requirements:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 70 GB available space
Additional Notes: Default API is Vulkan 1.1. Directx11 API also provided. The minimum requirements might decrease over the course of Early Access, as performance improves.

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 70 GB available space
Additional Notes: Default API is Vulkan 1.1. Directx11 API also provided. The recommended requirements might decrease over the course of Early Access, as performance improves.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well those requirements leave me out even if I wanted it and I dont. I found out combat is turn based only. No thanks. I loved turn based 2 decades ago. But as Ive got older I prefer shit to move along. So no.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Early access.....pushed back a week.

Also....

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/ ... 5012891159

Lots to read there on Community Update #7 - Romance & Companionship.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

githyanki bring new meaning to "Got your nose"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Early access starts tomorrow. I didn't see anything about rolling character stat points. :cry: That is one of the major appeals to me of the BG series.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:54 pm Early access starts tomorrow. I didn't see anything about rolling character stat points. :cry: That is one of the major appeals to me of the BG series.
Given that this is built around D&D 5th Edition, I doubt it will be rolls. It'll be point buy, similar to most recent D&D/Pathfinder based RPGs. You'll likely start with 10s, adjust for race, and spend points. The higher the stat, the more it costs. If it keeps with the 5e rules, your stats will also be capped lower at creation - 15 unless you have a racial bonus in it (which is made up for with extra stat points every few levels.)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The community update for character creation states that you assign points to abilities, so I'd say that confirms point-buy rather than rolling stats.
You’ll assign points to your 6 abilities (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma).

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why are their drow gray?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can’t just ask sentients things like that!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

Baldur's Gate 3 hard drive requirement more than doubles ahead of Early Access launch
A friendly FYI for everyone looking forward to the Early Access release of Baldur's Gate 3 on October 6: The minimum hard drive requirement, which was originally listed at 70GB, has more than doubled to 150GB.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:32 am Enlarge Image

Baldur's Gate 3 hard drive requirement more than doubles ahead of Early Access launch
A friendly FYI for everyone looking forward to the Early Access release of Baldur's Gate 3 on October 6: The minimum hard drive requirement, which was originally listed at 70GB, has more than doubled to 150GB.
Guess I'll be deleting a game or 6 to make room :shock:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently this is popular enough, despite being early access, to break Steam. I can put it in my cart, but when I click the buy-for-myself button, nothing happens. Other people are reporting the same issue on the Steam forums, as well as outright crashing of the payment process.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm hoping that 120GB of that install is 43 hours of cut-scene footage and not just lazy bloat.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm definitely not getting the floppy version. Switching floppies for King's Quest VI was bad enough, but Baldur's Gate 3 would be on about 130,000 disks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

~20 hours impressions from Kotaku:
My time with Baldur’s Gate 3 can best be summed up by what it made me do: After spending all of Saturday playing it, I re-downloaded Divinity Original Sin 2, a game I previously played for over 100 hours. Original Sin 2 is one of my favorite games, so BG3 deserves serious credit for reigniting that itch and causing it to burn with such manic scratchability that I’m now considering another 100-hour playthrough. But, you might ask, why not just play Baldur’s Gate 3? Therein lies the problem: BG3, with its myriad of bugs and overwhelming opening, made me pine for its own spiritual predecessor.
I didn't realize this game is a year away from full release!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My order finally went through. The actual download is 59.6GB.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I really want this, but I figure that I have plenty of time to save up. And I don't mind playing early access sandbox games, but I don't want to play part of a campaign with part of the options, then come back in a year and have to start over.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Downloading now.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:23 pm Yeah, I really want this, but I figure that I have plenty of time to save up. And I don't mind playing early access sandbox games, but I don't want to play part of a campaign with part of the options, then come back in a year and have to start over.
I don't mind that with Larian games. By the time the full game is out I know all ins and outs. Also with so many character choices, I'm ok with multiple play throughs. Plus I'm hoping for a complete team creation work around.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:36 pm ~20 hours impressions from Kotaku:
It sounds like the main complaint of the writer is that the game is full of bugs. Isn't that to be expected with an early access version?
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Just wondering. Is anyone getting this on Stadia with the free subscription? Just wondering how it looks since they limit the streaming resolution to 1080p.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:54 pm Just wondering. Is anyone getting this on Stadia with the free subscription? Just wondering how it looks since they limit the streaming resolution to 1080p.
Would they put an Early Access game on the streaming platform?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

TheMix wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:54 pm Just wondering. Is anyone getting this on Stadia with the free subscription? Just wondering how it looks since they limit the streaming resolution to 1080p.
Yep. It’s available right now. Thinking about getting it.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:08 pm
TheMix wrote:
Yep. It’s available right now. Thinking about getting it.
Interesting. Not what I would have expected.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.