Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:18 am Screw it. Time to party.

I, at least, appreciate your Willie Wilson fandom.

I didn't even know he had his own party until I got my ballot!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Texas mandating a single ballot drop-off location per county.
Gov. Greg Abbott issued an order Thursday requiring counties to close multiple locations where voters can drop off completed mail-in ballots.

As an election security measure, counties will be limited to one dropoff site where poll watchers — designated by political parties and candidates — must be allowed to observe ballot deliveries by voters, Abbott said.

Travis County has four dropoff locations, including three downtown that first opened Thursday, while Harris County has opened 12 locations as election officials worked to meet unprecedented demand for mail-in voting during the pandemic — particularly amid questions about the efficiency of the U.S. Postal Service.

Voters must drop off their own mail-in ballots after showing a photo ID, signing a roster and depositing the sealed envelope into a ballot box.

Limiting the number of dropoff sites will affect large urban counties that are strongly Democratic or trending in that direction, and the Texas Democratic Party said Abbott’s new order appeared targeted at a “rising Texas electorate."
They're not even attempting to hide it anymore.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bloomberg
Texas Governor Greg Abbott was sued by voting rights groups who say his plan to limit each county to a single ballot drop box for the Nov. 3 election, regardless of size or population, will have the effect of suppressing the vote in urban areas.

The suit, filed late Thursday in federal court in Austin, alleges Abbott, a Republican and outspoken supporter of President Donald Trump, is violating the rights of voters who wish to drop off their mail-in ballots amid a pandemic and delays in the Postal Service.
The suit was filed by groups including the League of Women Voters of Texas and the League of United Latin American Citizens.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Abbot's edict is astoundingly ballsy. I mean, there's no way to interpret his actions as anything BUT voter suppression considering that the largest county is a minority majority (at least that's what one news article I read stated).
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 pm Abbot's edict is astoundingly ballsy. I mean, there's no way to interpret his actions as anything BUT voter suppression considering that the largest county is a minority majority (at least that's what one news article I read stated).
There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the vote location charts and totally not racist emergency ballot orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth minutes, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. … What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the MAGA beams.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 pm Abbot's edict is astoundingly ballsy. I mean, there's no way to interpret his actions as anything BUT voter suppression considering that the largest county is a minority majority (at least that's what one news article I read stated).
It is and it isn't. This is exactly the kind of thing that the conservative judiciary is happy to sign off on. The judges just drain the decision (which applies to all counties equally, right?) of it's obvious staring you in the face context, and just say "hey, states have lots of discretion over how they run their elections, it's not our place to second guess them."

This could get knocked out by a district court judge, but the 5th Circuit and SCOTUS will each by happy to leave it in place. 95% chance that this rule is still in place for the election.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Not only that, Harris county has a population of 4.7 million. If only 1% voted by mail and it took 1 minute per person, we'd need 97 days to get them in the ballot box.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:42 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:03 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:52 am I applied to be a county poll manager today (they have a number of openings). If I'm turned down for that for whatever reason, I'll apply to be just a poll worker. Most of these positions are historically filled by retired people in my area, so this is my attempt to make sure we have as many polling places as possible open in November. My wife and I discussed the likely health risks given our area is already the hottest spot in our state and think this is one of those times that it's worth it.
Got a survey today making sure I was available to work and attend the in person training sessions. Should hear back in about 3 weeks. In person training is sometime between 9/8 and 10/24. The election is 11/3, so they might be cutting it a bit close at the end there.
Got my in-person training set up for 10/5 - it's a 3 hour class. I've started the online training. The first 2 (or 5) modules took 41 minutes to complete and covered setting up the polling place, making sure it's accessible to all, and how to set up the ballot marking machines and the scanner. It's surprisingly interesting. They also covered how to account for people who voted absentee - I don't see how someone could vote twice unless they were never recorded requesting an absentee ballot - but then the absentee ballot wouldn't be counted, so still only one vote.
I'm moving this as I think this it the more appropriate thread.

I had my in person training today at the county seat. Of note, it was also the first day of in person absentee voting in SC, which also occurs at the county seat. When I arrived at 8:35, the line was already 2 hours long (voting started at 8:30) and they said the first voter arrived at 5am. When I left at noon, the line was 3 hours long. I'd estimate about 150-200 people when I arrived and a solid 200+ when I left.

The training was just a repetition of the online material, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again. A few things of note:
  • Each party is allowed two Poll Watchers - the letter carrying certified variety. Each candidate is also allowed 2. If necessary, the Party ones take precedence over the candidate ones. These are the only ones who can challenge a voter.
  • Any number of poll observers are allowed - they are just people who watch the goings on. They can't disrupt the proceedings in any way. All of this is subject to social distancing, so the number of observers is actually limited by the 6' rule. Our teacher said these are usually students doing an assignment for a teacher. This year, though, who knows.
  • No election materials within 200 ft. This means no MAGA or BLM or anything like that hats, masks, shirts, etc. They are still working on a full list. They can cover it up, turn it inside out, etc, but the slogan can't be visible. If they refuse, they will not be allowed in to vote. I suspect this is where our real fun is going to happen on the big day.
  • Workers are required to wear PPE and will be given a mask, a face shield, and gloves. There will be signs for voters to mask up, but we can't require them and are to say nothing if someone is unmasked. If someone is obviously sick, we can move them to the front of the line and get them out ASAP. We then have to wipe down everything they touched.
  • Outside of the above, we will be wiping everything down every hour-ish. We are giving everyone big q-tips to use on the Ballot Marking Devices (touchscreen computers), so there shouldn't be a lot of person to person touching stuff. The only place I really see it is if they lean on the tables or when they take the ballot to the scanning machine.
  • They are expecting 80-90% turnout for the election. This includes absentee ballots, but they still said to be ready for huge lines. Normally it's a 6am-8:30pm commitment. They said all bets are off this year.
  • I find the whole Provisional and Failsafe ballots fascinating. If you are in SC and plan to vote in person, save everyone some time. Bring a valid photo ID (one of 5 options) and be sure to go to your assigned precinct. Having to fall back to one of those paper options means you'll have to go to the county seat a day or two after the election and explain why your vote should be counted. If you don't show up, your vote is not counted. The entire county is processed on the same day, so it will not be quick. Try to avoid this if at all possible.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kanye West showed up on the California ballot as running mate to Roque "Rocky" De La Fuente Guerra on the American Independent ticket.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:23 pm Kanye West showed up on the California ballot as running mate to Roque "Rocky" De La Fuente Guerra on the American Independent ticket.
How can he run for president in some states and for vice-president in others? Won't that damage his chances in the electoral college?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:38 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:23 pm Kanye West showed up on the California ballot as running mate to Roque "Rocky" De La Fuente Guerra on the American Independent ticket.
How can he run for president in some states and for vice-president in others? Won't that damage his chances in the electoral college?
Kanye plays all fields.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:38 pm
It may cost him the election. :cry:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote:If someone is obviously sick, we can move them to the front of the line and get them out ASAP.
Thanks for the tip on how to get to the head of the line!
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The only question now is what kind of in person voting will be fastest - early or day of?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I can't imagine that day of voting will be faster than early voting. My plan is to vote early sometime in the next week or two, once the crowds have died down a bit.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

The head of the county election office stopped by the training and said that it should die down by either Friday or early next week (if things follow the usual pattern). The week of Oct 26th, though, he would expect it to ramp way up again and continue right through the election. So you probably have a 2 week window to get in/out relatively quickly.

My plan is to try going next Tue/Wed.

Edit: Also, in Greenville County anyway, they are opening up 4 satellite locations next week so there will be a total of 5 places to vote in person. I would imagine that will help to thin the crowds. Check your local offices to see if something like that might be happening near you.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think there are three or four locations open for early voting in the Charleston area. Unfortunately none of them are super close to me, but I'll check to see if more might be opening.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Our early voting starts next week. I'll give it a week or so to cool down before I go.

Work is giving us up to 4 hours off for voting, but I really don't want to spend 4 hours in line fogging my classes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Early voting in Maine started yesterday and ends the 30th. I plan to get out as early as I can.

I'm hearing absolutely ridiculous things about some voting, like one guy that timed his wait at almost 8 hours in line to cast his ballot.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Early voting started last week in Michigan. I've received nothing.

The state website says
Absentee ballot

Your clerk has not recorded receiving your AV Application.

You are on the permanent absentee voter list. You will be sent an application for every election.
But I can't for the life of me find what I'm supposed to do when that application doesn't arrive.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
Trump's campaign launched an "unusually aggressive" push on the local level, sending 100 county election officials in North Carolina "threatening letters" and "misinformation" to urge them to disregard a new rule that makes it easier for voters to fix mistakes on their mail ballots, according to the Associated Press. The warnings came after the state Board of Elections settled a lawsuit after ballots cast by Black voters in the state were disproportionately rejected.

The campaign also sent letters to more than 1,800 municipal clerks in states like Wisconsin and Georgia that raised questions about the security of mail voting, according to CNN. The campaign also threatened to sue officials in Pennsylvania for blocking "poll watchers" from observing election offices where people register to vote and apply for mail ballots, according to the AP.
Last week, a judge approved a settlement between the state's Board of Elections and voting rights groups allowing voters to fix missing signatures or addresses on their ballots without filling out a new ballot. The Trump campaign told local officials simply to ignore the new rule.

"The NC Republican Party advises you to not follow the procedures," Trump campaign operative Heather Ford told officials last week in an email obtained by the AP.

"It's clearly based on an overall strategy to disrupt the election as much as possible," attorney Barry Richard, who represented George W. Bush's campaign in the 2000 Florida recount, told the AP. "You're really seeing a broad-based, generalized strategy to suppress the vote by the Republican Party."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Biden campaign button: WHERE'S THE RIVER?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hello there internet people, it's Beau again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
A federal judge in Austin blocked Gov. Greg Abbott’s order limiting the number of mail ballot drop-off sites a county can have.

In an order issued late Friday night, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman of Austin put on hold Abbott’s order thereby allowing counties to have multiple mail ballot drop-off sites.

The order said agents of the state are blocked from taking any action to inhibit election administrators from offering more than one drop-off location for ballots in their respective counties.
Ohio
A federal judge on Thursday blocked an order from Ohio's secretary of state that would have required counties in the state to install ballot drop boxes just at the local election office, allowing additional drop boxes to be placed in areas that need them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our ballots came in the mail today. I'd thought they would arrive automagically because I got a postcard once that let me tick boxes for the state primary, the local special election, and (I thought) the main event. A couple of days ago I realized that my memory was wrong, as it so often is, and I had to request ballots for November. Which I did, and now they're here.

Now comes the hard part of deciding whom to vote for. I need to see more debates. :wink:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote:Our ballots came in the mail today. I'd thought they would arrive automagically because I got a postcard once that let me tick boxes for the state primary, the local special election, and (I thought) the main event. A couple of days ago I realized that my memory was wrong, as it so often is, and I had to request ballots for November. Which I did, and now they're here.

Now comes the hard part of deciding whom to vote for. I need to see more debates. :wink:
Ours just arrived too. I liked saying to my wife, "Hey hon, our fraudulent ballots are here!"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:36 am Our ballots came in the mail today. I'd thought they would arrive automagically because I got a postcard once that let me tick boxes for the state primary, the local special election, and (I thought) the main event. A couple of days ago I realized that my memory was wrong, as it so often is, and I had to request ballots for November. Which I did, and now they're here.

My ballot's still "pending" according to the SoS office. Not especially concerned, as I'm sure early voting in person would be fine too. Need to do my part to make sure that Trump doesn't carry MA!
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I tried to vote in person on Friday since I will be working the day of. The line was as long as it was on Monday when they estimated a 2-3 hour wait. Still about 150-200 people. Monday they open up 4 additional voting places. I have off next Friday and will just wait as long as it takes that day.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dropped off my ballot yesterday. Lots of high energy in line, and the poll volunteers were jazzed.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote:I tried to vote in person on Friday since I will be working the day of. The line was as long as it was on Monday when they estimated a 2-3 hour wait. Still about 150-200 people. Monday they open up 4 additional voting places. I have off next Friday and will just wait as long as it takes that day.
Right now there’s only one early voting place in my area, but three more will open up on Oct. 19. I think I’m going to try to vote on the 20th, since I’m already off in the afternoon for an appointment. Hopefully the lines have cleared out a bit by then.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I just realized that I have no idea what my registered signature is in the state’s files. Not sure if I signed my full name, or what I go by.

Will need to try and figure that out somehow so my mail-in ballot doesn’t get DQ’d on a technicality.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 am I just realized that I have no idea what my registered signature is in the state’s files. Not sure if I signed my full name, or what I go by.

Will need to try and figure that out somehow so my mail-in ballot doesn’t get DQ’d on a technicality.
The one on your drivers license?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:40 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 am I just realized that I have no idea what my registered signature is in the state’s files. Not sure if I signed my full name, or what I go by.

Ah, thanks. Never occurred to me that’s the one they use. :oops:

Saved me lots of googling.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Just want to point out that if that is the case in Utah, it's not the same everywhere.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:evil:
Alefroth wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:59 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Just want to point out that if that is the case in Utah, it's not the same everywhere.
I was curious. So I did some Googling.

According to https://secure.utah.gov/voterreg/index.html it looks like the address is matched to the driver's license. So it's probably reasonable to assume that's where the signature comes from. As for actual confirmation, I struck out.
In order to register online to vote, your address must match the address on file with the Driver License Division.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I assume in NJ, I have to sign the poll book every year, so they have 25+ examples of my signature in their records.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What I found for Utah was that ballot signature had to match what was on file with the state, but didn't describe what that was.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:24 pm What I found for Utah was that ballot signature had to match what was on file with the state, but didn't describe what that was.
That’s what I’ve found as well. They did say that I’ll be sent a “curative ballot” (which I thought was an odd term) if the signatures don’t match, but didn’t give any info on what that process entails. I.E. If I return the curative ballot with a signature that still doesn’t match, do I get another one.

The POTUS race doesn’t matter here, as despite their wailing, Mormons will still vote for Trump. Some of the other races are very close though, especially for my House District.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
A federal appeals court on Saturday granted a temporary administrative stay, allowing Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's directive for one location per county for ballot drop boxes to remain in place for now.

The grant from the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit means the directive from Abbott, a Republican, will stand until the court has considered the state's motion for a stay on its merits.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton had filed an emergency motion Saturday for a stay pending appeal to block a district court order that would have allowed county officials to accept hand delivery of mail-in ballots at any county annex or satellite office.
Pennsylvania
A federal judge in Pennsylvania has rejected a suit from President Donald Trump’s campaign that sought to bar use of mail ballot drop boxes across the state.

The boxes were first used in this year’s primary and were deployed to keep up with unprecedented demand for mail-in voting. But in June, the Trump campaign sued the state of Pennsylvania and each county board of election in the federal Western District of Pa., arguing the decision by election officials had unconstitutionally taken power away from the legislature.

The suit further argued that varying decisions by different county election boards would lead to an inconsistent election system and that the overall mail voting system would be wracked by fraud.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ohio
A federal appeals court has agreed to reinstate Ohio’s limit on ballot drop boxes at least temporarily while it considers whether to make a more permanent ruling on the case.

U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Judges Richard Griffin and Amul Thapar in an order Friday night sharply criticized a Thursday decision from a federal judge in Cleveland who struck down the drop box limit as unconstitutional after early voting had already begun.

Griffin and Thapar said Secretary of State Frank LaRose’s decision to limit ballot drop boxes, used to store completed absentee ballots, to one site per county was reasonable, and sided with LaRose’s arguments that making a change during an election would pose a security risk. They also said legal precedent weighs against making late-stage changes to election procedures through the courts.