Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Dallas Sniper was four years ago. It was being held in response to the Alton Sterling and Philando Castile deaths at the hands of their respective police forces.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:53 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:36 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:32 pm Bad forensics aside, it would be difficult to identify who killed her and how to assign blame to individuals. But that very fact is an indictment of the entire force. They'll undoubtedly pay a hefty settlement but they also need to be torn down and rebuilt. Which probably won't happen.

The rot is at the top.
They paid out $12M already. The AG is political as all hell - he gave a statement where he did everything short of wink at the camera after saying they did a thorough investigation (unstated part is that it was an investigation of Breonna to justify her murder). He essentially relied on one witness who backs the police account about them announcing their entry even though multiple witnesses have come forward to speak publicly that they did not. Whatever. Police are going to murder black people. We can't stop it by the normal channels. If this boils over it certainly won't be unjustified.
This is about what I expected, and, honestly, I don't think it's unjustified from what I've read about Breonna Taylor's killing.
The whole thing was a sham. Eleven witnesses said they didn't hear the cops announce themselves. 1 witness said he heard it after several interviews. The AG involved showcased that witness account today. He also spent the last few months digging up dirt on Taylor. Again it is the same sham we see over and over. The police lie and manufacture evidence. Routinely nationwide. This is how the police get away with killing over and over without any individual accountability. And they always leave the taxpayers on the hook to pay for it. We essentially have an unofficial blood money policy for police violence.
Also, "police are going to murder black people" . . . I'm not saying that sentiment isn't justified to some extent generally, but do you really think it is in this instance? There were obviously systemic issues in play here that need fundamental correction, but what have you seen that makes you believe that the police involved here were out to "murder black people?" These cops were executing a warrant that probably shouldn't have been issued. They were doing a shitty job executing that warrant and ended up getting shot at in the process. Their response to being shot at was severely deficient. So, there's plenty of blame to go around and ample justification for lost jobs and possibly criminal prosecution.
In the sense that they recklessly acted and an unarmed bystander was killed. Yes I think it was murder. I don't think it was intentional. Call it manslaughter if you want. In the end, this system has built a machine that excels at killing black people. It starts with the whittling down of the 4th amendment for this bullshit drug war to make sure that judges sign off on these bullshit warrants so these reckless cops can break down doors in the middle of the night, perhaps accidentally kill someone, lie about their conduct, and get away with killing people. And often black people. It's a pattern. So when I say the police murder black people. That is what I mean. And having analyzed crime stats...we don't even count the dead killed by police. It isn't a stat anyone in the government cares about counting. We do however count the number of officers injured and killed. What does that say?
But, unless you've seen something I haven't, I'm not sure where you're coming from asserting that these cops were "going to murder black people."

Edit to add: Also, it now appears it has, indeed, boiled over. Sad and predictable. Not justified.
I'm not happy about it but I don't know how people expect a population being oppressed and literally killed is going to do about it. History says eventually they start fighting back. I wish it wasn't happening now but it was eventually going to happen.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Regarding the Breonna Taylor indictments:

This was always going to be hard. Whether the officers said "Police!!" or not is disputed, several people said they heard nothing (I don't know their locations) but apparently on man said he heard the police say it but only once. So what do you make of that? The police had a "no knock" warrant but had decided not to execute it as such. The police said they had identified themselves, but as noted above, this disputed. There is a certain said irony that if they had gone in no knock, they might have entered and taken control of things before the boyfriend could have gotten his gun and nothing would have happened.

Once the boyfriend opened fire, the police had every right to fire in self defense according to most legal analysis that I have read (KY law specifically gives them this right). It was obviously a tragic accident that she was shot, but it was obviously not murder. A jury would be highly unlikely to convict police officers returning fire who had been fired upon from everything that I have read.

The officer not under direct threat was wrong - he was basically opening fire blindly and endangering people. He should have been, and was fired, but he's being offered up, at least partially, as a sacrificial lamb IMO.

Also of note, there should have been an ambulance there at the time of the breech, but at some point they had sent it away. If it has been there, Ms. Taylor might have been saved.

The real problem lays with the "system". I know police want to catch crooks by surprise and unawares but serving warrants late at night at homes/apartments, when people are sleeping or asleep is just asking for confusion and trouble. This isn't the first time police have been fired at by people who thought their homes were being invaded. Warrants, no knock or otherwise, shouldn't occur late at night either unless that's the only time the suspects will be there. (Note - I'm not sure why the police don't wait until the morning - grab the person as they come out the door to go to work, then enter the apartment. That just seems so much safer for everyone involved).

Maybe we should just accept that the bad guys have an advantage here if they wish to use it and just take the loss going forward. The blow back when one of these raids goes wrong is just too bad. I understand too that the police intelligence was bad and they had idea that her boy friend was in the apartment, which is really bad. One officer said that they weren't sure that there weren't children or animals there. There were a lot of things that went wrong here. The whole operation was just botched from the beginning. This is the best article on the series of events that led to the tragic affair:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/us/b ... lling.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

As I noted previously, according to KY's laws on self defense, it was very unlikely that the officers involved would be charged and convicted:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 864466002/
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Trevor nails it again. I hope his overlords aren't marking him down when he doesn't bring the funny.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A good summary of everything that was wrong with raid on Taylor’s residence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... na-taylor/
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 am Trevor nails it again. I hope his overlords aren't marking him down when he doesn't bring the funny.
He really is my voice here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Editorial Template for Every Time a Grand Jury Acquits an Officer.
A Grand Jury in [whichever state this is happening in this time] acquitted police officer [Northern European last name] for the death of [Person of Color], who was killed while they were doing [thing people do on a daily basis] at [place most people wouldn’t expect to get killed at]. Police were in the process of carrying out [form of unconstitutional search and seizure] when the officer began [action wildly inappropriate for the situation], resulting in [Person of Color]’s death.

During a press conference, state Attorney General [person many are calling a “rising star”] explained that, because [Person of Color] reacted to police officers by [action any reasonable human being would take when being hounded by a large group of men pointing weapons and yelling at them], the use of force by Officer [Northern European last name] was justified. The attorney general then cited [defensive argument used during the Nuremberg trials] as precedent, reminding constituents not to give in to [emotion people with a moral compass experience] and instead trust in the system outlined in the state’s [document written back when people still peed and pooped into a bucket and flung the contents out of a window].

Shortly after the announcement, protestors began marching peacefully outside [civic building named after a slaveholder], until a small group of protestors began [mild expression of discontent], and police officers responded with [paramilitary tactic you’d expect to find in an active war zone].

Along with the recent killing of [different Person of Color] in [state with a town named “Springfield”], the death of [Person of Color] has become a major cultural touchstone that has reignited the nationwide movement to end systemic racism and police brutality that started [number that is appallingly high] years ago.

Activist and civil rights leader [author of whatever anti-racism book is at the top of the New York Times bestseller list that week], criticized the decision, saying “I am appalled that in the year [number between 1776 and 2300], Black and Brown Americans are still dying at the hands of the police.”

[Aging liberal politician] called for the nation to “come together and heal,” and stressed the need for cities and towns to immediately adopt [modest police reform with statistically insignificant results]. Meanwhile, [notorious racist du jour] condemned the protestors for inciting violence, accusing them of being members of [umbrella term for people with vaguely leftist views].

The one charge that was brought against Officer [Northern European last name] was a single count of [offensively petty crime only tacitly related to the case], which is a class [capital letter A-D] felony punishable by up to [number you wish was much higher] years in prison. Officer [Northern European last name]’s attorney [guy whose face is on billboards around town] praised the Grand Jury’s decision, but maintained that his client is also innocent of [offensively petty crime].

A few weeks prior to the Grand Jury’s decision, a civil case filed by [Person of Color’s]’s mother against [American city where these sorts of atrocities have been happening for decades] reached a controversial settlement. The city agreed to pay [Person of Color]’s family a sum of [number that doesn’t come close to making up for what happened] and agreed to enact [enumerated list of reforms so modest even the aging liberal politicians are balking at them] .
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This will potentially be an interesting case to track. The Barr DOJ is flexing here. Complete with labeling this jamoke as 'antifa'. The 'Federal'-ness likely comes from their jurisdiction over the Internet (aka the FB posts).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh good, Trump now has a “Platinum Plan” for Black Americans.

This was put in place after he made Juneteenth famous (he actually said that) and includes such gems as declaring both the KKK and “Antifa” as terrorist organizations.

Yeah...good luck with that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am Oh good, Trump now has a “Platinum Plan” for Black Americans.

This was put in place after he made Juneteenth famous (he actually said that) and includes such gems as declaring both the KKK and “Antifa” as terrorist organizations.

Lack of honesty and substance aside, are they even trying?

• Continue to make historic improvements to the
criminal justice system through common sense
actions like the First Step Act, including increase [sic] use
of drug rehabilitation vs. drug incarceration

• Announce a National Clemency Program to unite
families and invest in human potential, focusing on
wrongful prosecution and rehabilitation

• Restore safety to American’s [sic] great cities by
working with police departments, community
leaders and mental health professionals to install
the most responsive, professional, and accountable
models of policing, including diversity training and
accreditation standards

Just an random section. I bet it's riddled with errors.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 amLack of honesty and substance aside, are they even trying?
They probably think it is more than enough. Trump has already said he was the best for black people except for Lincoln. More might get him past Lincoln!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What do they have to lose?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:05 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 amLack of honesty and substance aside, are they even trying?
They probably think it is more than enough. Trump has already said he was the best for black people except for Lincoln. More might get him past Lincoln!
"Does someone have a cousin who needs an overpaid job writing copy? It's just a bunch of black stuff. "
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am Oh good, Trump now has a “Platinum Plan” for Black Americans.

He's had 4 years . . .
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:26 pm In the end, this system has built a machine that excels at killing black people.
This is just overblown rhetoric with little basis in reality.

The following numbers are rough but probably generally pretty close - there isn't one clearinghouse source of such data - so I've had to cobble together numbers from various sources. However, as best I can tell, about 1,000 people a year killed by police. Of those about 1/3 are African-Americans, so that gives you about 333 African American killed by the police each year. Of that number, only about 15% are unarmed, so that gives you about 50 unarmed African Americans killed by police each year. Of those 50, at least some of those are going to be doing something that legitimately lead police to open fire (such as attacking a police officer).

If anyone has different or better numbers, I'm certainly will to discuss/entertain them.

All that said, given the hundreds of thousands of police interactions with African Americans each year, in no way do those numbers indicated a "machine that excels at killing black people". You can double or triple the numbers above and it still wouldn't be true. This is just patently false and inflammatory rhetoric.

I believe we need police reform. I believe that police use deadly violence against too many people every year. I believe that there are too many bad cops out there, and policing attitudes and tactics needs to change. I believe that there is too much racism/profiling by police, either conscious or unconscious. But that doesn't mean police are gunning to kill black men at every opportunity - the numbers just don't show that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tend to agree with Grifman. Something needs to be done, true. But unless we're honest...brutally honest....we won't be able to do anything. Emotional rhetoric won't help us beyond sparking the fire that hopefully leads to that though.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:26 pm In the end, this system has built a machine that excels at killing black people.
This is just overblown rhetoric with little basis in reality.

The following numbers are rough but probably generally pretty close - there isn't one clearinghouse source of such data - so I've had to cobble together numbers from various sources. However, as best I can tell, about 1,000 people a year killed by police. Of those about 1/3 are African-Americans, so that gives you about 333 African American killed by the police each year. Of that number, only about 15% are unarmed, so that gives you about 50 unarmed African Americans killed by police each year. Of those 50, at least some of those are going to be doing something that legitimately lead police to open fire (such as attacking a police officer).
You're making huge assumptions here. The 85% may have simply had a weapon on their person or 'in their possession'. Possession meaning a broad category of things. In their car. In a holster. Sometimes somewhere in their home. When the police kill someone the only one telling the story is the cop. They get 3-5 days to think up a statement -- the union contracts usually provide for this -- and then they recite the 'get out of jail free' phrase. 'I saw a weapon and I was in fear of my life'. Even unarmed they play that card. And almost always the shooting is found justified.
If anyone has different or better numbers, I'm certainly will to discuss/entertain them.
I'd *love* for to be better numbers but there aren't any. The government doesn't think this is an important metric to track. That is why some organizations have stepped up to do it. The US government and most states don't care how many people the police kill. For emphasis, I'll repeat what I've said in the past. The FBI UCARS stats count every police injury and fatality. Every single one including vehicular ones. And again they don't capture any that indicate how many people the police injure or kill. Only how many they arrest. If we truly cared about this problem, we'd start with that.
All that said, given the hundreds of thousands of police interactions with African Americans each year, in no way do those numbers indicated a "machine that excels at killing black people". You can double or triple the numbers above and it still wouldn't be true. This is just patently false and inflammatory rhetoric.
It isn't false. It is a matter of opinion. My basis for this opinion is multi-faceted.

In one facet, I consider that the system kills hundreds of black people a year. We have police violence that is orders of magnitude higher than every other advanced economy. Every police metric is worse and that even holds true with the shoddy, incomplete data we collect. It likely is *worse* than it appears. Other peer nations have stricter standards for their police, police force usage, and they capture much better data to enforce those standards.

Another facet is to consider that this has been happening a long time. We've heard anecdotal stories about this for probably a century. There were major police reforms attempted in the past to try to address this. It was one of the goals of the civil rights movement for instance. That aspect got lost to the riots. White angst easily overcame the balance of a need to reform. So we've had a long time to address it but a long time to perfect its current form. We have to keep in mind Miranda rights were put in place by a liberal court in the 60s. Once the court turned conservative through the 80s onward they have consistently generally granted police more power. It has consequently hardened into the state it is now over the years.

Another facet, is that we see evidence that there is wrong doing. Some cities are pouring out hundreds of millions of dollars in legal settlements per *year* to settle claims about police violence - NYC spent $230M in fiscal 2018 to settle police brutality complaints. That encompasses more than shootings but it can be a barometer for the violence. Yet, we've had 5 *convictions* (for murder) of police officers over the last 15 years. Expanding the view - all police shootings - including ones where people survived - have a charge rate of about 3-4 *per year* nationwide. That almost sounds faked but that is about the average. Though in a couple years we had upward of 18 charged (in 2015 to be specific). Again no real count of the number of shootings to figure out if this smells right because no one bothers to count it.

Even if the whole population was the fatal shootings - it isn't by a longshot -- but if they were all fatal then that is a charge rate of 0.3-0.4% per year. If you could expand out to all shootings, it probably is much lower charge rate. And the conviction rate for those is something like 50%. Those 18 charges in 2015? 8 convictions. Even then they often go on to be overturned in appeal.

In the end, we have a lot of smoke but somehow we never find the fire. It is because the system is designed to allow police to escape accountability. That is one of the reasons the problem is so prevalent. The Courts have continuously expanded the lawful criteria for non-lethal and lethal force in the United States. It has made it extraordinarily difficult to charge and convict for police violence. It's all legal. So looking back at your comments on Breonna Taylor. I recall you remarked it was all legal. Of course, it was. That is by design. The warrant is perfunctory in many of these cases. The police know how to write them to get them through the system. But that warrant is enough coverage to give them legal cover for whatever happens next. If the person defends their home, then they've de facto committed a crime that legitimizes all further violence. That is exactly why you really have to contextualize that case because while it isn't the epitome, it does have many of the aspects of how the system has evolved to legitimize police violence against the populace. And does little to nothing to restrain it.

So lastly, I'll revise my clarify my remark that you questioned. I could be color-blind and say that it is a machine that kills people of every race. It just kill black people at a higher rate statistically which is why I think my opinion is that it still 'excels' at it.
I believe we need police reform. I believe that police use deadly violence against too many people every year. I believe that there are too many bad cops out there, and policing attitudes and tactics needs to change. I believe that there is too much racism/profiling by police, either conscious or unconscious. But that doesn't mean police are gunning to kill black men at every opportunity - the numbers just don't show that.
I never argued that that they do it at every opportunity. I said it was 'good' at doing it. And this system is indeed good at it.
hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:27 pm I tend to agree with Grifman. Something needs to be done, true. But unless we're honest...brutally honest....we won't be able to do anything. Emotional rhetoric won't help us beyond sparking the fire that hopefully leads to that though.
That is part of the intent. It is emotional. But it should be. We should ashamed and angry about how we allow our police to kill black people like they don't matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Huh - who would’ve guessed that the Louisville police and the Kentucky AG might not be on the up
and up?

Spoiler:
Consider, *just since the press conference announcing no charges,* there has been:

Image Confirmation the Attorney General misstated the applicable law

Image Bodycam footage showing police violated basic protocols, tainting the investigation

Image A ballistics report proving cops lied
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

And then this. Like I said. It was a sham.

malchior

Post by malchior »

AP News

Love the use of "He would agree". He got caught misleading the public. "He declined to provide details". True but he left the impression that the grand jury decided the charges. A juror thought this was deeply untrue and filed the motion that forced this release. What a shit show.
Kentucky’s attorney general has acknowledged that he never asked the grand jury to consider homicide charges against police in the killing of Breonna Taylor.

Amid outrage over the long-awaited charging decision, Attorney General Daniel Cameron said he would agree with a judge’s order to make public a recording of the proceedings, and that he wouldn’t object if members of the panel want to speak publicly about their grand jury experience.

In his statement Monday night, Cameron also revealed that the only charge he recommended to the jury was wanton endangerment. He had previously declined to provide details on what charges prosecutors brought to the grand jury to consider when it met last week.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

When I was called to Grand Jury duty, they described it as a "rubber stamp" for the DA, as in we'd probably never see something they they weren't confident we'd agree to and sign off on.

When this ruling came down that the Grand Jury only tackled that charge, I baffled. Now I know why. The DA didn't bother making murder a priority.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Parking this here for obvious reasons. I am not sure where Politico is pulling this from though.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Over 944,000 people have either returned their mail ballot or voted early in-person through Sunday, according to data compiled by University of Florida professor Michael McDonald for his site U.S. Elections Project.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:07 pm
Over 944,000 people have either returned their mail ballot or voted early in-person through Sunday, according to data compiled by University of Florida professor Michael McDonald for his site U.S. Elections Project.
Yesterday I received a notification from the GOP to the previous owner of my house, an owner who hadn't lived in the house for years before it was sold to me in 2008. It was a walk through on absentee ballots and imploring him to register and utilize this option. This comes not two years after the GOP fought at every level to prevent no question absentee ballots and after the lost in a vote put to the people they took it court to continue the fight. And not a month after POTUS continued his attacks on absentee ballots and got support from every level of Qanon and the GOP while attacking the post office and "that woman."

I do so hope the non stop attacks on absentee ballots that now spans entire election cycles hoists them on their own petard. They know how to make the exact decision to piss me off at every turn. Every. Turn.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Paingod wrote:When I was called to Grand Jury duty, they described it as a "rubber stamp" for the DA, as in we'd probably never see something they they weren't confident we'd agree to and sign off on.
Who is “they”?

We mostly did whatever the DA recommended, but more than once we charged additional people, or added charges to the indictment.

And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:52 pm
Paingod wrote:When I was called to Grand Jury duty, they described it as a "rubber stamp" for the DA, as in we'd probably never see something they they weren't confident we'd agree to and sign off on.
Who is “they”?

We mostly did whatever the DA recommended, but more than once we charged additional people, or added charges to the indictment.
"They" in this case was whoever at the court was describing the process to us. Either a clerk or a bailiff, I'm sure. "They" made it abundantly clear that we were there mostly as a formality and "they" expected things to go quickly and smoothly.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

DHS internal document asks that officials make public comments sympathetic to Kyle Rittenhouse and that they should note that he "took his rifle to the scene of the rioting to help defend small business owners."

Just further proof of the entire thing being rotten from the head down.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

/georgecostanza Was that wrong?
Last edited by Alefroth on Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Everything about this administration has been a picture of a little girl smirking in front of a house fire ... but she's been replaced with a team of old men - who are still smirking.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:46 pm Is that wrong?
We don't know. Has he been deposed? Is it a federal case? What is the DHS involvement? Why are they making public statements about a case that's in the early stages of a state prosecution?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I fixed it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbup:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Racism? Trump? Political randomness? I did Nazi that coming? I just don't know anymore.

Senate Republicans just blocked a unanimous vote on a resolution condemning white supremacy. It passed the House unanimously. They said that after 9 months of the legislation languishing that the committees of jurisdiction needed to look at it and consider their “equities.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And just like that, the Proud Boys again get a little more proud.

Trump: Stand by
Senate GOPs: IGY6

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump: "We shouldn't throw rocks at people's homes". *Throws a rock at someone's home* "It might make them feel *throws a rock* unwelcome in this nation of 'ours'. Now if you all also throw rocks, and Im not telling you to, but if you did *throws another rock* they might get scared and go back to their own lands" *Throws a rock* "Im just saying" *throws a rock*
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Paingod wrote:”They" in this case was whoever at the court was describing the process to us. Either a clerk or a bailiff, I'm sure. "They" made it abundantly clear that we were there mostly as a formality and "they" expected things to go quickly and smoothly.
Wow. It was made clear to us that we were in charge of the process. The DA’s office would present cases and make recommendations, but the decision was ours. If we wanted to interview other witnesses, they went and got the witnesses. If we wanted to add charges, or even charge someone that the DA hadn’t charged, we could (and did). Most of the time, the DA got what they wanted, but there were two cases where we really struggled with and one took two months to decide on because we really needed to talk to additional experts on possible causes of an injury.

We knew the impact that an indictment would have, and genuinely took it very seriously to understand the situation before making that decision.

We learned after one case that the DA had charged a more serious degree, which we knocked down. Unfortunately because we knocked it down, they had no room to reach a plea deal. So we jammed that guy. Oops.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:11 pmWow. It was made clear to us that we were in charge of the process.
My experience is 22 years old, mind you, and I was but an impatient lad. I do remember the distinct feeling that we were expected to stamp and move, stamp and move, stamp and move from what we were told as a group.

I bowed out, though, so I didn't get to see the process played out beyond the first call and meeting. At that point in time I was working hand-to-mouth on 3rd shift and there was no way I could make rent and feed myself if I stayed.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

If people can be indicted for that, why haven't there been thousands of more cases brought?

Nearly every protest in late summer featured Nazis "exhibiting guns" at unarmed marchers.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

October should be proclaimed Karma Month.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter