Games others love that you dislike

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Games others love that you dislike

Post by Rumpy »

Inspired by the resurrected thread, I thought it'd be interesting to use this concept for games. I could've sworn we had a similar thread, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I'll go first. I've kept hearing a lot about Planescape Torment. Seriously a lot of buzz that honestly made me curious. A couple of years ago, I bought the remastered version to see what the fuss was all about, played through it all and I honestly didn't care for it. The theme was kind of getting me down. By the time I had finished it, I was left feeling pretty ambivalent about it. I think it's one of those games that are better if you have memories attached to it. When this game originally came out, I was not into RPGs, therefore never played most of the games using that engine, including Fallout.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Re: Games others love that you dislike

Post by AWS260 »

Diablo (the original one). Brown and boring.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Huh, I could have sworn we did one of these already too.

My short list of series that everyone loves but me would be:

- Red Dead Redemption
- Grand Theft Auto
- Half Life
- Gears of War
- Borderlands
- Fallout
- Call of Duty

I'm generally not big on any game with zombies, "real world" military, or post-apocalyptic settings, which explains most of those.

There's also a few genres that everyone loves but I can't get into at all. Namely MOBA, tower defense, and battle royale.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Bethesda RPGs. Bloated, buggy, repetitive, boring. Fallout 3 was OK and I liked New Vegas (not really made by them) but the rest..ugh.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

most "triple-A" studio releases. derivative, cutscene heavy and no challenge.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

90% of RTS games and first person shooters.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:28 pm 90% of RTS games and first person shooters.
This, and approximately 100% of all console games.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Most roguelikes and games based on the idea that difficulty = gameplay. Gameplay can be difficult, but losing and repeating over and over is tedious, dull, and kills the experience.

Monster Hunter World. I still want to like it, but I've tried repeatedly and end up fuming at it's terrible design withing 20 minutes - and that's without even getting experience the gameplay.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm
I'm generally not big on any game with zombies, "real world" military, or post-apocalyptic settings, which explains most of those.

Yeah, not big on zombie games either. Ironically, I love the latter Fallouts (3 & 4, NV), but I bounced off the first two pretty hard. And maybe that's because it's been more about the characters in the latter games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Darkest Dungeon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:28 pm Most roguelikes and games based on the idea that difficulty = gameplay. Gameplay can be difficult, but losing and repeating over and over is tedious, dull, and kills the experience.
Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't like them either and I've tried many in case it was more of a design thing that I disliked, but I always come around feeling the same way. I feel like roguelikes are a way to normalize grinding with brief periods of progress. I even played the recently mentioned Everspace, and I still feel the same way. Unlocking upgrades via dying after collecting enough cash seems like a dick move to me, like the game is always taunting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:28 pm Most roguelikes and games based on the idea that difficulty = gameplay. Gameplay can be difficult, but losing and repeating over and over is tedious, dull, and kills the experience.
Cant believe I left those off. Although it’s really it’s own genre rather than a single game or series.

Dark Souls-ish should cover it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I find this as hard to answer as the music thread. Few games/genres are universally liked, though some certainly come close. E.g. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Super Mario Bros., Doom. And even genres I don't typically like, there are always exceptions. And genres are broad. I don't usually like RTS, but I played the heck out of Star Craft, even if I wasn't good. And MOBAs intimidate me, but I enjoyed Heroes of the Storm and Paragon for a time.

I think it would be interesting to collect a bunch of forum effect titles and look at the ones I bounced off of. I remember loving the idea of Space Rangers and trying it a few times. It had a lot of elements that appealed to me, but I just couldn't get into it.

I remember looking forward to trying Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, and when I finally did the controls were floaty and it felt like a console title in the worst way. But while it was well reviewed, you could hardly consider it a title everyone "loved". My reaction to Fortnite was actually similar. Premise seems fun, but the gameplay isn't. The core combat isn't enjoyable, the traps are frustrating (presume they're still a thing), and I just didn't care to get coordinated enough to use the construction/crafting abilities. But maybe this is just another modern genre I'm too old for.

But I'm still searching the memory banks for something universally acclaimed that just made me scratch my head and say, WTF is this #$!%?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Warcraft
World of Warcraft
Diablo III
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:07 pm My reaction to Fortnite was actually similar. Premise seems fun, but the gameplay isn't.
That's not completely surprising. I think the game was designed for tweens in response to the popularity of PUBG. Parents didn't want their kids playing PUBG given the inherent reputation it had at the time and Devs came up with a kidsafe alternative. At least that's what I remember reading about.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm Huh, I could have sworn we did one of these already too.

- Red Dead Redemption
- Grand Theft Auto
- Half Life
- Gears of War
- Borderlands
- Fallout
- Call of Duty

Unsurprisingly, I love most of those. Call of Duty can go, though.
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm
There's also a few genres that everyone loves but I can't get into at all. Namely MOBA, tower defense, and battle royale.
I am absolutely with you on all of those, though.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I wasn't going to post here due to the old "one man's garbage is another man's treasure" and all that. But then I had a couple of inspirations.

The Last of Us. I wouldn't care, except that it's so utterly adored by almost everyone, it seems. I will never, ever understand why. I played it late, eagerly, when it was given away for free on PSN, and I just couldn't believe it. This is what everyone had been raving about for years?!
The gameplay is so horribly tedious. Well done, you got to the next big, open area which just happens to have only one exit which you're going to have to move yet more planks and crates to reach. The combat is dull. The crafting and survival mechanics are completely uninspiring. "But it's all about the story", apparently! What, that incredibly cliched story whose every turn you can see coming a mile off? "But what about the characters!" Joel was completely unlikable, Ellie marginally less so. Aside from the environments which were admittedly very pretty, I found TLOU to be a crap game.

Like I say, it wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't so universally loved, not to mention frequently hailed as the best game of the previous console gen. Hahahaha...no.

Freelancer. Another game I'd otherwise barely emit a "meh" over, if everyone hadn't gone so mental for it at the time. Some publications even called it the first real Elite-killer! No. The combat - of which there was a lot - got incredibly repetitive very quickly. The game commits the cardinal sin of making it painfully obvious the universe exists only for you, with all the hostile ships of supposedly dynamic factions instantly targeting the player only as soon as he arrives at a system. The trading was laughable - as I recall the trading screens almost literally screamed "BUY THIS ONE" and so on, making it absolutely trivial. No, Elite-killer it was not. It was a boring game, exceptional only in how mind-numbingly average it was.
I no longer post here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I remember similar about Freelancer. I didn't have a history with Elite, but I loved the idea of the game. But I found it disappointing that while there were many systems to explore, the NPCs, environments, and dialogue were extremely repetitive. It wasn't open ended in a meaningful way. And really, what else could you expect in 2003. But when the gameplay was equally repetitive, it made for a letdown. It was... Daggerfall, the space sim.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Monster Hunter World. I still want to like it, but I've tried repeatedly and end up fuming at it's terrible design withing 20 minutes - and that's without even getting experience the gameplay.
I'm with you on Monster Hunter. I've tried to get into World twice and I just can't do it. I may give it one more try but I doubt it.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm Huh, I could have sworn we did one of these already too.

- Red Dead Redemption
- Grand Theft Auto
- Half Life
- Gears of War
- Borderlands
- Fallout
- Call of Duty

Ditto on RDR, GTA, Gears and Call of Duty. But Borderlands, I love that series. And Half Life 1 and 2 are absolute classics.
Last edited by Scraper on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:00 am I remember similar about Freelancer. I didn't have a history with Elite, but I loved the idea of the game. But I found it disappointing that while there were many systems to explore, the NPCs, environments, and dialogue were extremely repetitive. It wasn't open ended in a meaningful way. And really, what else could you expect in 2003. But when the gameplay was equally repetitive, it made for a letdown. It was... Daggerfall, the space sim.
That reminds me:

Space shooters that are really just economic sims. There are so many of them, and they've completely replaced the actual space shooters (Starlancer, Freelancer, Tachhyon, etc.) I grew up in the days of Battlestar Galactica (the original), Star Wars, The Last Starfighter, and any number of other, similar titles about badass pilots hopping into the cockpit and having exciting adventures full of harrowing battles. And yet every time a game comes out that puts you into the pilot's seat, it just seems to just be Euro Truck Simulator 3020.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:49 am I wasn't going to post here due to the old "one man's garbage is another man's treasure" and all that. But then I had a couple of inspirations.

The Last of Us. I wouldn't care, except that it's so utterly adored by almost everyone, it seems. I will never, ever understand why. I played it late, eagerly, when it was given away for free on PSN, and I just couldn't believe it. This is what everyone had been raving about for years?!
The gameplay is so horribly tedious. Well done, you got to the next big, open area which just happens to have only one exit which you're going to have to move yet more planks and crates to reach. The combat is dull. The crafting and survival mechanics are completely uninspiring. "But it's all about the story", apparently! What, that incredibly cliched story whose every turn you can see coming a mile off? "But what about the characters!" Joel was completely unlikable, Ellie marginally less so. Aside from the environments which were admittedly very pretty, I found TLOU to be a crap game.

Like I say, it wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't so universally loved, not to mention frequently hailed as the best game of the previous console gen. Hahahaha...no.
+1. I really disliked that game and struggled to understand why everyone loved it so much. Mostly because of this:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:49 am I wasn't going to post here due to the old "one man's garbage is another man's treasure" and all that. But then I had a couple of inspirations.
Like that, but lacking the inspirations. My comments would be largely genre related as there are some genres that just don't click with me (FPS, Platformers, 4X, RTS, Retro), but I can't think of any game in genres I enjoy that people largely enjoy and I don't. In fact I think I tend more to the opposite, liking games most other dislike.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Diablo 2.

I loved the atmosphere and originality of the first, but never got into the loot grind.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

L.A. Noir.

That game was a tedious slog and I really had to work hard to finish it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:49 am In fact I think I tend more to the opposite, liking games most other dislike.

Yeah, I have that happening to myself as well. Most prolific example would be the original Rage. You would think with all the criticism it received that it's a terrible game, but it really isn't. I think it a lot of it is down to hype and people's general expectations. I had none of the associated expectations and ended up loving it. It really was a fun game and I felt it had great AI. The only bummer is that it ended on a cliffhanger.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

For me, the most obvious answers for this are the Bethesda games, and the Mass Effect/Dragon Age games. While I didn't mind DA I never had any interest in the ME ones. And even though I finished Skyrim, I really have a dislike for the UIs and systems of most Bethesda stuff. I really enjoyed buggy-as-all-hell Daggerfall in ye olden days, more than Morrowind. Though I kept trying to get through MW because everyone loved it so much. Ah well. C'est la vie.

Other than that, it's genre stuff. I'm not a fan of RTS, FPS, or fighter games much. Just weird that way.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 pm
Cant believe I left those off. Although it’s really it’s own genre rather than a single game or series.

Dark Souls-ish should cover it.
i'd like to point out that 'Dark Souls-ish' and 'roguelike' are very different in a key aspect - the latter actually changes every time you play it (procedurally/random), so it's never really the same game. the ever morphing variety and game mechanics are the point, and 'winning' the game is de-emphasized. the former is playing the same unchanging portions of the game over and over and over again in an attempt to reach the ending. for me, 'roguelikes' are far more interesting and engaging for that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I enjoy both for different reasons, but lean more to the souls-like (masocore is the actual term) games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still plan to give souls-like games a try one day. Nothing else has the kind of aesthetic they do, with the dramatic, impressive enemies.

The thing about roguelikes changing things up and de-emphasizing winning is true, but it's a big part of why I dislike them. There's no narrative. If other games are like reading a novel, a roguelike is like reading a bunch of random paragraphs with no beginning/climax/resolution. It's an activity purely for the sake of being an activity.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm The thing about roguelikes changing things up and de-emphasizing winning is true, but it's a big part of why I dislike them. There's no narrative. If other games are like reading a novel, a roguelike is like reading a bunch of random paragraphs with no beginning/climax/resolution. It's an activity purely for the sake of being an activity.
Hades.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm
The thing about roguelikes changing things up and de-emphasizing winning is true, but it's a big part of why I dislike them. There's no narrative. If other games are like reading a novel, a roguelike is like reading a bunch of random paragraphs with no beginning/climax/resolution. It's an activity purely for the sake of being an activity.
And even when there is a narrative, it really seems like they don't want people to get to it and a major portion of the gameplay is the grinding to get to the little bits of whatever progress there is.
Last edited by Rumpy on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm The thing about roguelikes changing things up and de-emphasizing winning is true, but it's a big part of why I dislike them. There's no narrative. If other games are like reading a novel, a roguelike is like reading a bunch of random paragraphs with no beginning/climax/resolution. It's an activity purely for the sake of being an activity.
Hades.
You disagree so much that you're invoking a god of death on me?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:02 pm
Hades.
Technically, Thanatos is the god of death. Hades is merely lord of the underworld.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hades.
I mean there is that. If we are going to invoke gods, we should at least invoke the more interesting ones.

Also, I am suggesting Hades is a counter-example of your observation on roguelikes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:08 pm
Hades.
I mean there is that. If we are going to invoke gods, we should at least invoke the more interesting ones.

Also, I am suggesting Hades is a counter-example of your observation on roguelikes.
I would also suggest Hades as a narrative focused rogue-like. I'm not really a fan of the genre either but Hades transcends it and fully incorporates the narrative unobtrusively into the gameplay loop. With each death you learn more about the characters and unlock new aspects of the story. If you are really struggling you can turn on god-mode (it's just a setting in the options that makes your character stronger with each death), which will ensure you see the narrative end of the game.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Funny, I remember hearing the same exact thing about Everspace. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not a roguelike, but Civilization/4X is another genre I can think of that usually lacks a strong external narrative. But when designed well, the story emerges through the events of each game, and in the case of Civ can be shaped especially by memorable and unique maps. Some of the best stories I've experiencing in gaming occurred inside my head over the course of an interesting Civ game. Roguelikes aren't typically so open-ended, but I can see similar occurring in a title like Darkest Dungeon with units who develop weaknesses and survive longer than you ever expected.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I agree with that. I guess because with 4X games, it comes across in our experiences. With Roguelikes, in my experience at least, it always seems to be about the game mechanics first, with gameplay taking a backseat.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A 4x, or even a survival game, has a progression of events. A start, a middle, and eventual end (be it by objective or burnout.) Most roguelikes have a start, a start, a start, and a start.

Not that I've played a few that weren't like that that I enjoyed. I had fun with Everspace until I got burned out, and I really liked Void Bastards.