Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Our town was lucky with Burger Chef. It stayed a long while then when it finally did have to stop using the name it simply changed to The Chef and kept right on going. Same building , same broiler, mostly same menu minus any icons or names from Burger Chef.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:34 pm Just a little update for those playing along at home:

The doc says I don’t have poison ivy all over my face. I have shingles.

It’s exciting because it lasts longer and is more painful.
:( 2020 strikes again.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:34 pm Just a little update for those playing along at home:

The doc says I don’t have poison ivy all over my face. I have shingles.

It’s exciting because it lasts longer and is more painful.
i am so getting the vaccine as soon as i qualify for it
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had a vaccination for it, Then they came out with a newer version and I got that too.
I do not want that shit.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Shingrix vaccine kicked my ass like no other vaccine ever has. I had flu-like symptoms for two days and my arm hurt for months. From what I've heard about shingles, that's a fair price to pay. Like most people my age, I had chicken pox as a child and the virus is within, biding its time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heard nightmare stories of the shot and the disease both. I figure if my wife had them and her dad at 85 had them Ill survive if I get them and not do the shot.

Of course Im alone now so Id get it on my back where I cant reach to treat myself and no one to help me.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:17 amLike most people my age, I had chicken pox as a child and the virus is within, biding its time.
So that's the thing, huh? I had the Chicken Pox as well, so I suppose I'm in line for some suck one way or another. Awesome. By the looks of it, I've got 7 years before I get to schedule the two doses of Shingrix.

I even missed a class field trip that involved riding a train because of the 'Pox. :x
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Apparently stress is a big factor in triggering a shingles eruption.

I'm a little surprised I didn't get it months ago.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:17 am The Shingrix vaccine kicked my ass like no other vaccine ever has. I had flu-like symptoms for two days and my arm hurt for months. From what I've heard about shingles, that's a fair price to pay. Like most people my age, I had chicken pox as a child and the virus is within, biding its time.
I'm actually on a waiting list for this. Apparently the vaccine is in short supply right now. At least in this area.

...or was that the vaccine for scurvy? I can't remember.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm under 50, so my insurance won't pay for the vaccine. Even though I've already had shingles once (do not recommend).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:17 amLike most people my age, I had chicken pox as a child and the virus is within, biding its time.
So that's the thing, huh? I had the Chicken Pox as well, so I suppose I'm in line for some suck one way or another. Awesome. By the looks of it, I've got 7 years before I get to schedule the two doses of Shingrix.

I even missed a class field trip that involved riding a train because of the 'Pox. :x
Mayo Clinic: "Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Calcium Chloride. Ive been reading more canned food labels. With the veggies I see this in about everything. Says online its 'food' use is as a firming agent. Please leave this out of my food thanks. I dont want my can of new potatoes so firm they need a hammer to smash. Also I see that word so much Im reminded of that Franks Red Hot commercial.."They put this $%#@ in everything"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You spending time on Facebook? False information about Calcium chloride has been shared since this summer, and I'm not sure why. Maybe Russian troll farms looking to boost their signals. Regardless, feel free to read up on it.

FDA
EU

But you don't have to take my word for it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No I hate FB. used the WIKI for it. Who said anything about FB? I didn't even say it was unsafe. I said I dont like it in my food used to firm up the product. Went a little overboard this time man yeesh lol. You a calcium chloride miner? :)P

I have no idea about false info either.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Better watch out for that sodium chloride, too. Flavor enhancer, my ass.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:47 pm No I hate FB. used the WIKI for it. Who said anything about FB? I didn't even say it was unsafe. I said I dont like it in my food used to firm up the product. Went a little overboard this time man yeesh lol. You a calcium chloride miner? :)P

I have no idea about false info either.
Nah, you just post really weird random shit sometimes. I'm trying to decode your patterns and get a lock-on with my time crystals. I'm getting closer. :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just a random post on a random thought on a random thing in a random randomness thread.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:18 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 pm Oh goodie. Massive login outage with Microsoft office 365 services across the world right now. Someone really screwed up.
Ahhhhh, that explains it. I thought it was just me last night and was annoyed I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
Having more problems right now for the last hour. At least this time it's on and off. And TIL... status.office.com
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:17 am The Shingrix vaccine kicked my ass like no other vaccine ever has. I had flu-like symptoms for two days and my arm hurt for months. From what I've heard about shingles, that's a fair price to pay. Like most people my age, I had chicken pox as a child and the virus is within, biding its time.
It's interesting how different people's reactions are. I did the Shingrix vaccine and it was a non event for me.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:29 am I'm under 50, so my insurance won't pay for the vaccine. Even though I've already had shingles once (do not recommend).
I'm over 50 but my insurance still won't pay for it. I probably would have gone ahead and payed for it myself but that was right before the big move and I figured that perhaps they would have it covered under insurance here in Korea. Which they might but at least at first we were told that it wasn't something that they stocked at the doctors here.

I need to check with them again.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:47 pm
It's interesting how different people's reactions are. I did the Shingrix vaccine and it was a non event for me.
Flu vaccine hits some people hard. It's never done anything but give me a sore arm for a day or so. Shingrix gave me a fever, cold sweats, and muscle pain all over my body -- all listed as possible side effects, so I don't think my body was just being a drama queen.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I watched the Vietnam miniseries last week. Not my favorite subject, but it dawned on me I didn't know a lot about what happened there except when I visited. Even after I left I was still in the service until 1975 and preferred Mary Tyler Moore to Vietnam.
It really shook me up a lot more seeing all those protestors and lieing incompetent politicians and high ranking officers.
It still upsets me to see that the politicians and high ranking officers still haven't changed.
Brought up none to fond memories about the protestors too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Protesting a war should be ok. But its taking it too far to protest the soldiers. They have to follow orders. A lot of protesters needed their asses kicked for spitting on soldiers and stuff.

Reminds me..I hope Westboro is dead and gone.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I (then 46-years old) had shingles in January this year. My daughter (27-yo) had them in July. Her boyfriend (~31-yo) had them last month.

I actually do blame the extra stress folks are feeling in 2020 for their prevalence.

And folks are correct. You do not want to experience this disease.

Good luck Holman. I almost internet-diagnosed you when you initially said something, but didn't want to freak you out. I went into the local Walgreens and had the pharmacist (roughly 15 years my junior) help me find something to help address my symptoms (I got on the anti-viral very quickly), and she shared her story with me—she's had them on-and-around her eyes three separate times (completely contrary to the once-you've-had-them-your-immune-system-should-be-able-to-fight-them-off-for-the-next-seven-years guidance). She did set me up with some zoster cream (Zostrix), which provided some mild relief, but when you are in that much pain, even mild relief is quite welcome. Best luck.

Oh, and I had chicken pox twice (age 7 and age 13). The first time was relatively mild, the second time was a nightmare.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Thankfully, I never had chickenpox growing up as a wee nipper in the UK. So I was able to get the chickenpox vaccine as a young adult, which apparently shields against shingles, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tons of work crew out on my road today. Looks like they are putting in galvanized culvert piping for the ditches. Which means they're cutting across everyone's driveway. Good thing I had no plans to go anywhere. They have a dump truck of gravel I see. Guess they'll patch it when done. I wonder if they will do the entire ditch or just the part under a driveway? Mine as most here dont have any under their driveway. Ditches just pour where they can and then dry or soak up the rest. You'd think they were expecting a hurricane. Not super happy because I bet that end of the driveway will become a problem with either sagging or a bump and I wont be able to repair it. I guess if it does in a year or so Ill complain and get them back out. Fun.

Uh oh.....this also worries me that they may be going to expand city limits again. We used to be about 1/2 mile or more from the city limits then in the 90s they moved it to about 4 houses up from us. They want more taxes!! :) Damn this was a farm and a dirt road in the 40s and 50s. Now theres a big ass industrial park about 5 houses up from me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We used to live so far out in the boondocks we weren't in any county........just wasteland. There were lots of one legged rednecks who hated lemonade.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well finally it seems my mortgage place has it all fixed up. But knowing them it isn't and wont last. Oh well. Im legal to talk too wooo. And they said they'd remove the $25 charge for the insufficient funds in bank on their illegal 2nd attempt to withdraw. They claimed they must have tried but the funds weren't sent and they tried again. 1. It did send them the money or it would have been there on their 2nd try and 2. They waited an entire 12 hours to try that 2nd go at it.

Guess I have to make my payment instead of getting a lawyer after all...this time. I now have $9 in the bank. I think Ill splurge and buy me a stick of gum :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lawyers make everything easier.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Halloween is almost here. It was me and my wife's favorite time and holiday. We didn't do anything special it was just the feeling of it all.

But a lot of years I remember something from Halloween 1997. We had a pretty good argument. About what I cannot remember. All our arguments in the past were over stupid shit and not worth remembering what for. Hell we didn't argue for at least the last 12 years or so before she passed. Barely any before that.

But we had one Halloween day in 1997 because I remember giving up and going to sit in front of the tv and the show and ep that was on. It was Millennium starring Lance Henriksen. Always loved him as an actor but had never watched this show. The ep was a Halloween one called The Curse of Frank Black. Well I guess the whole show was themed like that lol. But this ep has always stood out to me. I watched it again online last year. Just a weird creepy ep. And come Halloween time I think of it. And here I am thinking of it again.

The show
The episode

Of course I also think of Hercules and Xena and their holiday themed eps. I also watched Hercules ep Mummy Dearest again last year. 90s TV was SO good...cheesy but damn good. Todays tv is cringe worthy.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:16 pm We used to live so far out in the boondocks we weren't in any county........just wasteland. There were lots of one legged rednecks who hated lemonade.
Is this a reference to the Wasteland games or something? I haven't played the sequels yet.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:25 pm But we had one Halloween day in 1997 because I remember giving up and going to sit in front of the tv and the show and ep that was on. It was Millennium starring Lance Henriksen.
I only saw a few episodes of Millennium but that was a good show. Reminds me of Strange Luck, another show that was on around the same time. I'll always remember the Lightning Crashes scene in which the protagonist tries to save an innocent man from getting executed, with the help of the guy who actually committed the murder.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A post I made in the gaming forum

4030 Post by dbt1949 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:11 pm
So I'm playing Warhammer Total War and I'm wondering where did they find dwarves that spit acid and shot fireballs out their ass? Not only one guy but 240 of them? And then ten more units of them?
And how does the special building I built make three legged guys who throw flaming lemonade at people?
Did they start off with two regular people and cut the leg of one and sew it on another guy? And is there a ghetto of one legged guys who hate lemonade at the outskirts of the village?
I like to amuse myself sometimes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Strange Luck deserved better than it got. But then, it was on Fox.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I love the little things in life that make specific small moments feel good. Like being the first one in the office and turning the lights on in the morning.

Today it was getting my soda out of the freezer at work just as it started to crystalize and was perfectly chilled.

*Edit: In other comedy, a new laptop with MS Edge on it is really insistent I use Edge. I like to make the first and only thing I use MS browsers to do is download a new browser. Once installed, I delete the Edge icon from the desktop and move on. Today I noticed that on first use of the new browser, Edge returned to the desktop in a pathetic "What about me?" moment.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Shingles update:

After being diagnosed with Shingles and beginning treatment on Tuesday, I can report that I'm already feeling a lot better here on Friday. I'm taking all the right drugs, and the blisters are scabbing over nicely while the swelling and tenderness are significantly reduced. (Steroids are magic.) The small blisters seem to be scabbing over too rather than doing the whole Alien-lifecycle thing through a large-blister phase.

It also looks like I've avoided transmitting the virus to my actual eyeball even though I did have a breakout on the tip of my nose (the danger sign). Knock on wood.

My first blister appeared late last Wednesday night (although I thought it was a bug bite or poison ivy), so this is day 9 of the episode. If this is a moderate case, I've turned the corner.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's great news. I've heard too many horror stories about shingles.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Programmer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:33 pmRutabaga
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hi.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:28 pm That's great news. I've heard too many horror stories about shingles.
You still don't want to look at my face. I did a masked grocery run today, and the cashier was visibly horrified at the scabs around my eye.

If the mask hadn't covered the worst of the cheek blisters, I wouldn't have gone out at all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:02 pm If the mask hadn't covered the worst of the cheek blisters, I wouldn't have gone out at all.
"Excuse me - how much are the bananas this week? Are they on sale?"

Enlarge Image