MLB 2021: Offseason chat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: MLB 2020: We never imagined a season like this!!!

Post by Jaymann »

Padres were left for dead, then came alive with massive long balls to win 11-9. No pitching to go anywhere, but they live to see another day.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Um difficult to win much of anything Cubs when you score one run in two games. Maybe next year.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cardinals meltdown in the seventh! Padres advance on a shutout without a starting pitcher!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:58 pm Um difficult to win much of anything Cubs when you score one run in two games. Maybe next year.
Baez and Bryant were nowhere all season and their bats were absent again in the playoffs. I read somewhere that after 2016, the Cubs have scored and average of 2 runs per playoff game. 28 runs in 14 games. For a team that lives by the long ball, that ain't going to do it. Opponents have scored something like 48? 63? Can't remember that number.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The NL Central (4 teams) and AL Central (3 teams) had a combined 7 teams in the playoffs. None advanced to the second round.

In the NL Central, there were 5 shutouts in the teams' 8 losses. The Cubs and Reds scored a single run for their 4 games.

I still don't like the best of 3 format, but it does seem somewhat fitting for the Cubs to go out this way given how terrible their bats were all year.

The Miami Marlins have yet to lose a playoff series in their history - every time they've made it to the postseason, they've won the World Series.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I can't recall the last time I saw so many baserunning mistakes and fielding mistakes (not 'errors' I don't care about errors) in a playoff series. The Reds just gave up the game. Why isn't baserunning worked on? The Dodgers manager will not tolerate baserunning mistakes, any player doing so is out of the game. An out on the bases is statistically the worst out you can get, yet players keep doing it. We all know that baseball players can be stubborn but I wish more of them weren't so stupid.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bastros vs Oakland A-holes. Somebody's got to LOSE.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:55 am Bastros vs Oakland A-holes. Somebody's got to LOSE.
I've heard that the Astros have noticed the Dodger's visitor's clubhouse smells like champagne.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 am The Miami Marlins have yet to lose a playoff series in their history - every time they've made it to the postseason, they've won the World Series.
Not anymore.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

They barely showed up.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

God, the Rays better win game 5. I couldn't stand a Yankees - Astros ALCS.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:20 am God, the Rays better win game 5. I couldn't stand a Yankees - Astros ALCS.
I had the same thought. Time for some new teams to step up.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:20 am God, the Rays better win game 5. I couldn't stand a Yankees - Astros ALCS.
I had the same thought. Time for some new teams to step up.
Well, the Rays are taking a 2-1 lead into the 9th.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes! Rays advance. Now take down those Bastros!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dumbest statement ever "It’s difficult to project whether Judge would have been able to make the catch if he hadn’t crashed into the wall."
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Jaymann wrote:Yes! Rays advance. Now take down those Bastros!
I don't understand your juvenile nickname. What is it supposed to mean?

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
naednek

Post by naednek »

noxiousdog wrote:
Jaymann wrote:Yes! Rays advance. Now take down those Bastros!
I don't understand your juvenile nickname. What is it supposed to mean?
Bastard+Astros?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Lorini wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:16 am Dumbest statement ever "It’s difficult to project whether Judge would have been able to make the catch if he hadn’t crashed into the wall."
The setup of that wall is silly with the overhang. I'm not sad to see the Yankees lose though of course. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:04 am
Lorini wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:16 am Dumbest statement ever "It’s difficult to project whether Judge would have been able to make the catch if he hadn’t crashed into the wall."
The setup of that wall is silly with the overhang. I'm not sad to see the Yankees lose though of course. :lol:
I can agree with that but the wall was there long before Judge reached it. If the Yankees would have scored more runs than the Rays in each game, they'd have gotten to the ALCS, right?? :)
Last edited by Lorini on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Advantage Petco Park!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I've said this before, and fortunately nothing happened to Judge, but I hate players running into walls. Matt Kemp ruined his career by running into a wall in Denver's ball park. He plays there now (or did), hopefully he's gotten familiar with the make up for of the park and doesn't smack into walls into me. You have to be aware of what's around you and how to keep yourself safe.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

White Sox fire Rick Renteria. Seemed like they were up and coming. :doh:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

:idea: of
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:02 pm White Sox fire Rick Renteria. Seemed like they were up and coming. :doh:
They have a lot of young talent and this year, for whatever this year was worth, seemed to indicate that they are further along than previously thought. As with the Cubs, I guess the Sox view him as an interim/rebuild manager and it's time to move on to a WS manager.

That said, I'm kind of unhappy with the decision. I think he earned next year. Maybe if he they had won a postseason series or two, maybe not.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't paid attention, as I was apparently a fair weather Tiger's fan and about a year in to Ausmus' watch, it was clear the weather was shifting and with the Cabrera (and at the time I thought Verlander, I was wrong there) extensions while letting Scherzer go, it was clear to me that it was going to be a long storm to I didn't want to wait out. But... from the periphery, it sounded like the White Sox were the AL Central team to beat and yet still up and coming, as Jayman says. Maybe you can fire your GM as well and the Tigers can take a look at him. :ninja: Though, honestly, I suspect this is going to be an enduring Chris Illitch problem. If it weren't for handing the reigns over Yzerman, I'd say with the death of Mike Illitch (after the passing of Bill Davidson), Detroit has the worst ownership in all of pro-sports, where they're padding their investments with no passion for winning or the geography the teams are in.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:51 am
I can agree with that but the wall was there long before Judge reached it. If the Yankees would have scored more runs than the Rays in each game, they'd have gotten to the NLCS, right?? :)
Most people don't know that baseball has an obscure rule which causes an AL team, if they win by the exact right margin, to go to the NLCS rather than the ALCS. It's like getting to Level -1 in Super Mario Brothers.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:03 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:51 am
I can agree with that but the wall was there long before Judge reached it. If the Yankees would have scored more runs than the Rays in each game, they'd have gotten to the NLCS, right?? :)
Most people don't know that baseball has an obscure rule which causes an AL team, if they win by the exact right margin, to go to the NLCS rather than the ALCS. It's like getting to Level -1 in Super Mario Brothers.
Well wouldn't that be like being sent to the minors or something??? Apparently Red Sox fans consider the NL junior varsity at best :). (original post edited!)
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Altuve too nonchalant on his throw and it cost them a three spot. Sweet! :clap:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Nice game by Tampa yesterday. They took advantage of every opportunity.
Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Gave that one away today and the bats can't hit when they need to.
Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Braves take game 1!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My name is Jaymann, and I approve of yesterday's results.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Lassr wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:45 am Braves take game 1!
Yes, it's very hard to win a playoff baseball game with only one run. Dodger fans are mad at the pitching, but again you don't win games in the Championship series with only one run, or at least it's very unlikely. Where the hell were the Dodger hitters??? They sucked and they ought to look closely at their hitting in that game and make some corrections.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Kershaw has back spasms. As much as his playoff pitching has been up and down, to not have him pitch at all means trouble in LA. That's going to be a true challenge and the hitters have got to step up their game.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:41 pm Kershaw has back spasms. As much as his playoff pitching has been up and down, to not have him pitch at all means trouble in LA. That's going to be a true challenge and the hitters have got to step up their game.
I wonder if the Dodgers wish they hadn't burned Dustin May yesterday so he'd be available to start today.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:55 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:41 pm Kershaw has back spasms. As much as his playoff pitching has been up and down, to not have him pitch at all means trouble in LA. That's going to be a true challenge and the hitters have got to step up their game.
I wonder if the Dodgers wish they hadn't burned Dustin May yesterday so he'd be available to start today.
I'm sure they wish it now!!!! Although Gonzolin has been as good as May but you always want a veteran pitcher in the mix. Buehler didn't have a very good outing really and is still dealing with the blister and will be almost certainly through the series.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

that's too bad. Would have ensured a 0-2 start :(
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Braves up 5-0 in the 5th. Bases loaded.

edit: Now 6-0
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:56 pm that's too bad. Would have ensured a 0-2 start :(
Don’t worry, again, scoring one run in two games won’t win anything.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:07 pm
naednek wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:56 pm that's too bad. Would have ensured a 0-2 start :(
Don’t worry, again, scoring one run in two games won’t win anything.
Well, Dodgers got 7, luckily Braves picked up that 8th run. Got quite nerve wracking there at the end.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is Cristian Poche (on the Braves) Jewish? If not, why does he wear a Star of David?
Last edited by El Guapo on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.