2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

First one to 70, wins. Tech had always been this way.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I do find it a little bit hilarious that Mike Leach’s “gimmicky” Air Raid offense that would never work against SEC defenses sets the all-time SEC passing record...in his first game. :lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
In Mike Leach’s debut as an SEC head coach, Mississippi State upset the sixth-ranked Tigers, 44-34, in Baton Rouge. It marked the first time a defending national champion lost its opener since 1998, when Michigan lost 36-20 to Notre Dame.

The Bulldogs, running Leach’s famous Air Raid scheme, put up a whopping 632 yards of offense on an LSU defense full of new faces. K.J. Costello, MSU’s prized graduate transfer quarterback from Stanford, made some rough mistakes in the fourth quarter but emerged with an SEC single-game record of 623 passing yards.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I went to Youtube to watch highlights of that game and there was a QB highlight video so I watched that one. Haha, it was like his highlights were the entire time he was on the field. There were times he'd get the ball to a receiver and the receiver was free to just take off running with no LSU defender in sight. Even if LSU has new players on defense, that's an embarrassingly bad showing.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I really needed yesterday's 3:30 block of games. Two weeks of nothing but ACC football was depressing the shit out of me. (And I grew up and still live in ACC country and went to NC State!) CFB is really the only sport I still watch, and I was bored shitless the first 2 weekends of ACC only play. But the 3:30 block yesterday was full of compelling stuff. It was great to be excited about CFB again for a few hours.

I really wish I didn't have to wait so long for the Big 10 to get started, but oh well, 2020 is a shit-show so I will have to be patient.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:I do find it a little bit hilarious that Mike Leach’s “gimmicky” Air Raid offense that would never work against SEC defenses sets the all-time SEC passing record...in his first game. Image Image
Picking up KJ Costello was brilliant too!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:55 pm
Skinypupy wrote:I do find it a little bit hilarious that Mike Leach’s “gimmicky” Air Raid offense that would never work against SEC defenses sets the all-time SEC passing record...in his first game. Image Image
Will be interesting to see if he can maintain it, LSU just looked totally lost last night. With all the players they lost to the NFL, best defensive player sitting out the season and then players lost to COVID I thought they could lose but I thought they play better than they did.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bama looked good until the backups came in, you could tell they had not had many reps this year in practice.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:02 pm
Will be interesting to see if he can maintain it, LSU just looked totally lost last night. With all the players they lost to the NFL, best defensive player sitting out the season and then players lost to COVID I thought they could lose but I thought they play better than they did.
I think he will. The offense works - it's very simple, yet also very flexible, and he coaches them well - his problem has always been defense, which, despite pretty much always being at the lesser programs in his conferences, isn't bad, just usually not as talented.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interesting Pac-12 tidbit in this Chip Kelly article:
The Bruins will play a six-game regular season in six weeks, including all of their Pac-12 South opponents and one crossover team. Each conference team not playing in the conference championship game will play a seventh game based on their final regular-season standing.
Interesting that the entire conference will play a 7th game based on standings the same weekend as the conference championship.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:59 pm Interesting Pac-12 tidbit in this Chip Kelly article:
The Bruins will play a six-game regular season in six weeks, including all of their Pac-12 South opponents and one crossover team. Each conference team not playing in the conference championship game will play a seventh game based on their final regular-season standing.
Interesting that the entire conference will play a 7th game based on standings the same weekend as the conference championship.
They stole the idea from the Big Ten, which announced the same thing. :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:07 pm I do find it a little bit hilarious that Mike Leach’s “gimmicky” Air Raid offense that would never work against SEC defenses sets the all-time SEC passing record...in his first game. :lol: :lol:
Who said Mike Leach wouldn't make it in the SEC? I've been campaigning to get him as Auburn's next coach for the last three years!

Honestly though, Auburn is too conservative to hire a loose cannon like Leach. We're allergic to good coaches in general. Auburn seems to think that having a lot of good players and a mediocre coach is all you need. :evil:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I hadn't realized that he was a Stanford transfer. So I guess he went to Stanford for the football and not the education if he decided MissState was the place to be.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:50 pm
I hadn't realized that he was a Stanford transfer. So I guess he went to Stanford for the football and not the education if he decided MissState was the place to be.

LOL, but I would consider the Gardner Minshew factor. Nobody wanted him and he was going to be a grad intern at 'bama. Now he's the starter in JAX.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:59 pm
Lassr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:02 pm
I think he will. The offense works - it's very simple, yet also very flexible, and he coaches them well - his problem has always been defense, which, despite pretty much always being at the lesser programs in his conferences, isn't bad, just usually not as talented.
Didn't work this week. Lost to what was supposed to be the worse team in the SEC, Arky got their first SEC win in 2 years.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Ugh, who'd a thunk it, that Alabama and LSU have 2 of the worse defenses in the SEC. UK shut out AIr Leach but Bama and Ole Miss set a SEC record with 1350 yards allowed, it was like watching a BIG12 game. It was back and forth all night but I hated it so much I turned the TV and watched something else. That is not the football I like to watch. :evil: I know Saban wonders if Ole Miss had their defensive signals (and they could have) but I've seen a common theme ever since Golding was hired as DC, poor tackling, missed assignments, and miscommunications.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I grew up watching the tough defenses of the SEC and high scoring shootouts were not something I particularly enjoyed.

I don't know this SEC. That Bama game was terrible.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Coach Saban has tested positive for Covid-19
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:09 pm Coach Saban has tested positive for Covid-19
AD as well

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Bama was one of the schools being a model of prevention too. I read about tons of precautions they were taking from the coaches down to the players and staff.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm Bama was one of the schools being a model of prevention too. I read about tons of precautions they were taking from the coaches down to the players and staff.
yeah, after that 1st week back, it seemed like they were taking it seriously, for the athletes and staff at least. Students, not so much from what I could see.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 pm
msduncan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm Bama was one of the schools being a model of prevention too. I read about tons of precautions they were taking from the coaches down to the players and staff.
yeah, after that 1st week back, it seemed like they were taking it seriously, for the athletes and staff at least. Students, not so much from what I could see.
The athletics department always took it serious and had a great plan entering fall camp. The students on campus? Not so much....
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 am
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 pm
The athletics department always took it serious and had a great plan entering fall camp. The students on campus? Not so much....
Based on this article, it doesn't sound like Florida took it seriously, and is paying the price:
Alabama has been testing daily for months. Florida started this week.
WTF Florida? Have the other SEC Teams been doing the same thing?

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:10 pm
Alabama has been testing daily for months. Florida started this week.
WTF Florida? Have the other SEC Teams been doing the same thing?
I could be off here, but I think teams in the ACC (or at least UNC) are only testing 3x/week.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saban may be a false positive... negative test today:
"Coach Saban was evaluated again today by Dr. [Jimmy] Robinson," the statement read. "He continues to be asymptomatic and without fever. We are continuing to follow the SEC Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force Protocol for testing asymptomatic positives. A PCR test was repeated Thursday by the SEC-appointed lab and was negative. For clarification, the initial positive result came from an outside lab we've used to supplement the SEC mandated testing. He will continue to remain in isolation and receive daily PCR tests. Should he have three negative PCR tests through the SEC-appointed lab, each 24 hours apart, the initial test would be considered a false positive pursuant to SEC protocols and he would be allowed to return."

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

It wasn't long ago when people complained about Alabama games being "boring" because of all the defense. Mac Jones just tossed his third game in a row over 400 yards passing. This time it was against the #1 defense in the country. Also Alabama has had 17 straight games of over 35+ points, an NCAA record.

2020 is certainly very odd.
It's 34 bowl victories.

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I woke up this morning and turned on Sportscenter to see who won the games yesterday. They might have spent five minutes on college football. The rest of the show was pretty much dedicated to fantasy football prep and Vegas betting.

I had forgotten just how much I hate that show.

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Tennessee, and in particular their coaching, is a hot mess. Pretty much unwatchable if they continue to run JG out to play QB.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

McNutt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:33 am I woke up this morning and turned on Sportscenter to see who won the games yesterday. They might have spent five minutes on college football. The rest of the show was pretty much dedicated to fantasy football prep and Vegas betting.

ESPN has taken this attitude on their radio shows and their website as well. As someone who used to be a regular listener to a lot of their weekly talk shows, I have a good idea of why this is, but I'll keep the divisive political commentary out of this thread. And, yes, you're welcome! :P
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:10 pm
McNutt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:33 am I woke up this morning and turned on Sportscenter to see who won the games yesterday. They might have spent five minutes on college football. The rest of the show was pretty much dedicated to fantasy football prep and Vegas betting.

ESPN has taken this attitude on their radio shows and their website as well. As someone who used to be a regular listener to a lot of their weekly talk shows, I have a good idea of why this is, but I'll keep the divisive political commentary out of this thread. And, yes, you're welcome! :P
I watch Around the Horn, PTI and Highly Questionable, and sometimes College Gameday (the 6am PST start is the issue, and a lot of filler). The rest of the studio shows don't interest me at all.

JCC

Post by JCC »

ESPNU is the place to go on Sunday morning. College Football Final airs most of the morning. (Well I haven't watched it this Fall, but I assume it's still there.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

JCC wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 pm
ESPNU is the place to go on Sunday morning. College Football Final airs most of the morning. (Well I haven't watched it this Fall, but I assume it's still there.)
It is, that is what I watch on Sunday morning.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

P12 released an update to a couple games today.

Utah and Colorado will be playing a 7:30pm game on December 11 in Boulder. Brrrr...
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Jaylen Waddle out for the season. Broken ankle. :cry: :cry:
It's 34 bowl victories.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ending of that Indiana/Pedo St game was insane. :shock:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

First weekend of Big Ten play was fun. Michigan's new QB looked good, and while they were certainly helped out by Minnesota not having their kickers available (like, all their first string kickers - kickoff, punts, and FGs) it was still a pretty dominating road win. Damn shame about Michigan State getting trucked by Rutgers, though. :P

On the down side, it looks like Wisconsin's new, hyped QB has tested positive. I think Big Ten protocols means he has to sit out for 21 days if the test is confirmed. While that helps Michigan (we'd be playing them within that window), I'd rather we get through a clean-ish season.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

As far as I'm concerned, this is an exhibition season. Same for NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

If I watch any NCAA football it will just be as an excuse to shut off the old thinker and drink some beer and eat bad food. I just can't find much rooting interest in any of it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am As far as I'm concerned, this is an exhibition season. Same for NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

If I watch any NCAA football it will just be as an excuse to shut off the old thinker and drink some beer and eat bad food. I just can't find much rooting interest in any of it.
I think it's important to note that it's an exhibition season if/when it goes into the crapper. If we somehow manage to beat Ohio State this year? Totally legit and real season.

On a more serious note, I'm enjoying sports right now. It's all a bit weird and surreal, but I really do need this facsimile of normal right now.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:39 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am As far as I'm concerned, this is an exhibition season. Same for NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

I think it's important to note that it's an exhibition season if/when it goes into the crapper. If we somehow manage to beat Ohio State this year? Totally legit and real season.

On a more serious note, I'm enjoying sports right now. It's all a bit weird and surreal, but I really do need this facsimile of normal right now.
Amazon Prime signed me up for the PGA Tour channel ($80!) when one of the kids asked Alexa to play a song. So if I can't get that fixed I may be watching a lot of golf.

:grund:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Reportedly Wisconsin's backup QB (technically 3rd string, since last year's starter is out due to surgery) has also tested positive. Sounding like they might cancel this weekend's game against Nebraska.