Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by Paingod »

Looks like you'll grab a vehicle for specific purposes, but maybe own a sports car you can deck out. I'm okay with that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:05 pm Looks like you'll grab a vehicle for specific purposes, but maybe own a sports car you can deck out. I'm okay with that.
Yeah I'm liking what I see in this regards. I'm a sucker for open world games with lots of driving.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That video made it seem very Grand Theft Auto.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

GROUND cars??

Blade Runner promised me skimmers in 2019.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm That video made it seem very Grand Theft Auto.
That's exactly what I thought. I cancelled my preorder for the PC as I'm getting the PS5 and I'll wait (not because of anything other than just not enough time)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm That video made it seem very Grand Theft Auto.
That's exactly what I thought. I cancelled my preorder for the PC as I'm getting the PS5 and I'll wait (not because of anything other than just not enough time)
LOL. I've already taken the first 3 days after launch as vacation time. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:10 pm
I extended my Turkey Day break to 11/20 so I hope to be buried in it for 11 days straight (well, 10.5 as I assume we'll have a family thing on that thursday).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 pm
gbasden wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:10 pm
I extended my Turkey Day break to 11/20 so I hope to be buried in it for 11 days straight (well, 10.5 as I assume we'll have a family thing on that thursday).
Nice!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pmThat video made it seem very Grand Theft Auto.
I'm not sure how you go about moving through a vast open city as a criminal without looking like GTA. The alternative is fast travel between locked down set pieces.

It looks like they've tried to make every car unique... but that smells like fiction or marketing fluff. It would take a lot of effort to randomize each car with different varieties of panels and jankiness and not just color schemes... but that seems like what they tried to do.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've now got an extra 3 weeks, minimum, to binge on Assassin's Creed Valhalla (and maybe Watch Dogs Legion, if I'm not over it by then).

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hmmmm.... should I move my vacation or not is the real question. More time for Valhalla I guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish companies would just skip consoles and go PC only like the old days. Either you were PC company or a console company. Or at least do it that way again. That way if its on console I dont have to worry with it or keep up with it or look forward to it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:00 pm I wish companies would just skip consoles and go PC only like the old days. Either you were PC company or a console company. Or at least do it that way again. That way if its on console I dont have to worry with it or keep up with it or look forward to it.
They can't, at least not with AAA games. Average budgets now are a dozen times what they were back in the days of the PC/console divide, and that's adjusted for inflation. A $10 million dollar game in the early 2000s is around $120 million now. They can't spend that money and then only sell to a fraction of the customers who want to give them money, especially when one big budget game flopping - just one - can cause a company to close.

If you want the PC exclusives, follow the indies and small studios.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

They're just doing it to screw over the Mechwarrior 5 expansion :lol:

I still have to blow 5 days of vacation at some point before the end of the year, but Dec 10 may put this release out to beyond my older daughter's school year, so she'll be around and in my hair if I take the time off. Boo.

edit: I mean, uh, what a wonderful chance to bond with one of my children. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

All youse who are taking DAYS off for this game...ummm, what if it sucks? :D Serious question.

Not trying to poo poo people's Cyberpunk party...plan, but is there is a beta out that you guys have played and/or somehow you know it's good by other means?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:02 pm All youse who are taking DAYS off for this game...ummm, what if it sucks? :D Serious question.
Then I will play the Mechwarrior 5 expansion. :D
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:02 pm All youse who are taking DAYS off for this game...ummm, what if it sucks? :D Serious question.
At least I'm not working. If it sucks I'll have Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, etc

I'll be alright.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:04 pm
At least I'm not working. If it sucks I'll have Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, etc

I'll be alright.
Cool. I was sweating the possibility that you guys would be staring at a blank wall for days if for some reason the game didn't release on time, has game breaking bugs, or just plain sucketh. :P

I guess my real question is why is THIS game so much more anticipated by OO (in general I think) than other games? What about it makes you want to take days off from work?

Yes, I'm lazy and want to be spoonfed the answer thankyouverymuch.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Witcher 3.

Edit: Also I have to take 13 more days off, on top of the 4 remaining holidays, between now and the end of the year.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 pm Witcher 3.
Touché.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:00 pm I wish companies would just skip consoles and go PC only like the old days. Either you were PC company or a console company. Or at least do it that way again. That way if its on console I dont have to worry with it or keep up with it or look forward to it.
So you want to be able to play less games on the PC? Sorry, no thanks.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 pm Yes, I'm lazy and want to be spoonfed the answer thankyouverymuch.
Watch some of the game play videos and spoonfeed yourself :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:25 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 pm Yes, I'm lazy and want to be spoonfed the answer thankyouverymuch.
Watch some of the game play videos and spoonfeed yourself :)
I did, but maybe it was not the right videos (or maybe they were very early ones). I love the setting. I love(d) Blade Runner (loved the second one even more :wub: ).

I seriously think it could be that I am so spoiled by big budget modern games that it's hard to wow me anymore. :confusion-shrug: But obviously I missed the thing that everyone else sees (not just here, apparently the gaming market writ large) that will potentially make this such an amazing game. Yes, it looks fun as hell, etc etc. But so do tons of other modern games that release on the regular.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

This makes no sense mate. Firstly, I'm pretty sure the console market is larger than the PC (gaming) market. Secondly the architectures are similar enough now that there's no point declaring yourself a PC or console dev.
I no longer post here.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

This gives me some extra time to try to get one of those fancy shmancy RTX 3080 cards, or see if the new AMD cards are better and if so, hopefully, actually available to buy.
-something witty-
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, the very first thing they told us about the game was that it would be coming when it's ready. At least they're still on track to keep that promise.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In another 'humans don't deserve to exist' story.....

Cyberpunk 2077 devs are getting death threats over the delay
Sadly, if predictably, this has led to a whole lot of flak being sent towards individual developers, with Senior game designer Andrzej Zawadzki taking to Twitter to push back against "unacceptable" death threats.
I want to address one thing in regards of the @CyberpunkGame delay.
I understand you're feeling angry, disappointed and want to voice your opinion about it.
However, sending death threats to the developers is absolutely unacceptable and just wrong. We are people, just like you.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Talk about absurd. When did death threats become the standard response for being annoyed by something?
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:50 pm Talk about absurd. When did death threats become the standard response for being annoyed by something?
I'm guessing ancient Egypt :|
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, that's terrible. They're developers, and one of the more trustworthy. I'd rather have delays than a buggy game. At least they're honest and upfront about why they've had to delay.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Part of the blame lies at the feet of that bellend from Kotaku, Jason something. He seems to be on a personal vendetta against CDPR.
I no longer post here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:35 pm that bellend
Had to google it, but makes perfect sense now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:35 pm Part of the blame lies at the feet of that bellend from Kotaku, Jason something. He seems to be on a personal vendetta against CDPR.
He's not even with Kotaku anymore. He moved on to Bloomberg, I believe. I think the issue is about crunch, but then that's not a studio specific issue, but rather an industry one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And it wasn't even what's usually considered 'crunch.' It's paid overtime for a few weeks when they had no choice. The crunch controversy was about 16 hour days for months without extra pay as a matter of course.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 pm I think the issue is about crunch, but then that's not a studio specific issue, but rather an industry one.
Precisely. So why said bellend continues to rant about CDPR specifically, I don't know. It's widely known how bad the crunch culture is across the entire games development industry.
I no longer post here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:31 pm And it wasn't even what's usually considered 'crunch.' It's paid overtime for a few weeks when they had no choice. The crunch controversy was about 16 hour days for months without extra pay as a matter of course.
It might depend on the studio, but to me it sounds like that's exactly what it was, a push towards the finish where the developers have to bend over backwards to meet a deadline, and when that happens most studios don't leave it up to choice. I think that it's unfortunately something all studios employ to different degrees. It doesn't even seem like the worst case this time, but I find it a little funny at the shock and outrage everytime a game is close to coming out when we learn about the hours towards the finish line, as if we always learn that they're doing this for the first time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's all in how it's handled. Personally, I can't think of a business that I've ever worked in where a 'big event' couldn't result in mandatory overtime. I still think that's a far cry from the horror stories that made this an issue - people seeing their families once a week, sleeping at work, and doing so for the last six months of the development cycle. Not because the deadlines got close and their planning was a bit off, but because they intended it to be that way from the beginning. That's just not what I'm seeing reported here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:58 pm It's all in how it's handled. Personally, I can't think of a business that I've ever worked in where a 'big event' couldn't result in mandatory overtime. I still think that's a far cry from the horror stories that made this an issue - people seeing their families once a week, sleeping at work, and doing so for the last six months of the development cycle. Not because the deadlines got close and their planning was a bit off, but because they intended it to be that way from the beginning. That's just not what I'm seeing reported here.
Agreed. This is a far cry from crunch culture. And yeah, I've had a few times in my career when I was living at work because something went south. This feels really overblown. And seriously, death threats because your video game is going to be a few weeks later? People suck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I guess Im not educated enough to ever to have had a job where the company forces mandatory overtime of 12 hour days 7 days a week for months and you sleep under your desk and stuff. Not saying CDPR is doing that but Ive read over the years of other devs doing that and worse.

I love CDPR though and their games. Hope they are handling crunch better than most. Personally it should be gotten rid of. Horrible practice. Just take more time ...more normal hours time.