Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Sudy »

I've had a fear/dislike of math since high school. I don't think I have any kind of learning disability (though it does run in the family), however I do suspect my developing depression played a role in my decline as a student. In primary school, I think I was generally liked by my teachers but wasn't generally recognized as an exceptional student. That changed when we moved to the U.S. for middle school, and all of a sudden I was an academic all-star. Now, I think there were plusses and minuses to this. Conventional western public education is/was outdated, leaves many behind, and rewards students disproportionately. However, it sure as hell felt nice to be recognized for my intelligence at that age, as I was a shitty athlete (which makes you a nobody in the U.S.... I didn't even go out for football, which I later realized was social suicide) who struggled to make friends with the popular kids. It was about all I had going for me.

When we returned to Canada for high school, this continued for a year or two, though I found the Ontario school system to be far less competitive (academically or athletically), but I soon became distracted and some combination of lazy and righteously frustrated with the school system. I remember disappointing my math teacher as I went from a great student my first year to a mediocre one the next, before nearly failing and dropping math and science classes altogether. I think since I failed to do the work and learn the concepts, I became insecure and would then be frustrated when I couldn't figure things out on tests. I've dreaded anything beyond basic math ever since, often to the point of anxiety. On one hand it doesn't bother me too much because I was always more interested in and had an aptitude for the humanities. But I've also loved science since I was a kid, especially astronomy/physics, and I often wonder what I could have done if I'd worked harder and got help to address the things that were holding me back.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always hated math and english. Loved science and history.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 am A couple of years ago I picked up a soldering iron. The intention was to learn to solder in order to add LEDs to miniatures as I see done from time to time. Everything I'd heard or read talked about how easy it was to do. So I sat down this week to learn, and *BAM*, brick wall. :grund: It's my old nemesis, math. Apparently there is a lot of math involved in hooking a battery to an LED, and I have a complete mental block when it comes to math.

I don't know if I have an actual learning problem (like dyscalculia) or if it is just a mental block from years of frustration brought on by a series of terrible teachers, but I've never been able to do higher math. I have a 142 IQ and I failed algebra three times (and never did pass it.) I do know that I have a lot of trouble with the abstraction of higher math (I can't relate the formulas to actual things, which prevents me from visualizing how it works, and I learn by visualizing.) It's like someone just switched the audio language of the movie I'm watching, and played it backward at that. When math is being described, it just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

It's frustrating. I've had to walk away from a number of things over the years because I'd suddenly find math where I didn't expect it. And now I'm getting it again.
Is it something one of the boys can help with? I know asking for help goes totally against my whole persona, but sometimes you just have to do it. It also model good behavior for the kids. You don't have to be great at everything and asking for help where you need it is a good thing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 pm https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/business ... index.html
Dunkin' is adding its first-ever spicy donut, and it's spooky too.

The Spicy Ghost Pepper Donut is described as a "deliciously daring donut." It's baked with a classic yeast dough and topped with strawberry icing that's mixed with a blend of cayenne and ghost pepper, one of the hottest chili peppers in the world. Dunkin (DNKN)' is offering the donut beginning Wednesday through December across its US restaurants.
My wife brought one home last night. I could taste that it was meant to be spicy, but there wasn't any real heat there. For perspective, I like the Tabasco Habanero (NOT weak ass green tabasco) or Scorpion sauces and order my thai food off the scale hot so I may not be the best barometer for some.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 am

I don't know if I have an actual learning problem (like dyscalculia) or if it is just a mental block from years of frustration brought on by a series of terrible teachers, but I've never been able to do higher math. I have a 142 IQ and I failed algebra three times (and never did pass it.) I do know that I have a lot of trouble with the abstraction of higher math (I can't relate the formulas to actual things, which prevents me from visualizing how it works, and I learn by visualizing.) It's like someone just switched the audio language of the movie I'm watching, and played it backward at that. When math is being described, it just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

It's frustrating. I've had to walk away from a number of things over the years because I'd suddenly find math where I didn't expect it. And now I'm getting it again.
Man, I know how you feel BH. While I have never been diagnosed, I feel I share the same frustrations regarding Math. I feel I can't properly visualize it. It's like my brain can't mentally process anything more than basic math, like my brain is in a mental fog whenever it comes to math. I never went higher than basic math as a result, and while I've had many tutors in school, even through High-school, while everyone else was off doing Algebra, I was stuck at basement level. And I could tell at the same time it was frustrating some of those tutors.

I felt I've always been good at creatively, from writing to photography and early on, I'd have some friends and family tell me I would be good at marketing, so that's what I tried pursuing in College. Everything was going well the first year. The second year though, when some classes involved math, I hit that wall. BAM! I wasn't even at their level, so how could I even follow to begin with? It was a frustrating realization.

I found I've had to find other ways to give myself purpose and finding ways around it by adapting to what I'm good at. I've self-taught myself HTML early on, and I do a lot of volunteer work via working on websites, and I'm generally doing well as long as math doesn't enter the equation.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 am
coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 pm https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/business ... index.html

The Spicy Ghost Pepper Donut is described as a "deliciously daring donut." It's baked with a classic yeast dough and topped with strawberry icing that's mixed with a blend of cayenne and ghost pepper, one of the hottest chili peppers in the world. Dunkin (DNKN)' is offering the donut beginning Wednesday through December across its US restaurants.
My wife brought one home last night. I could taste that it was meant to be spicy, but there wasn't any real heat there. For perspective, I like the Tabasco Habanero (NOT weak ass green tabasco) or Scorpion sauces and order my thai food off the scale hot so I may not be the best barometer for some.
I don't know what's wrong with you people. If I wanted my anus to burn, I'd just wear Donald Trump's pants.

I enjoy a tingle on my tongue, but I don't need a nuclear holocaust scorching every orifice from mouth to pores.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sudy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 am

I don't know what's wrong with you people. If I wanted my anus to burn, I'd just wear Donald Trump's pants.

I enjoy a tingle on my tongue, but I don't need a nuclear holocaust scorching every orifice from mouth to pores.
I haven't had rectal consequences from spicy food since college and the spice levels I eat now are way beyond what I ate then. I guess I just adjusted.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Man, I know how you feel BH. While I have never been diagnosed, I feel I share the same frustrations regarding Math. I feel I can't properly visualize it. It's like my brain can't mentally process anything more than basic math, like my brain is in a mental fog whenever it comes to math. I never went higher than basic math as a result, and while I've had many tutors in school, even through High-school, while everyone else was off doing Algebra, I was stuck at basement level. And I could tell at the same time it was frustrating some of those tutors.

I felt I've always been good at creatively, from writing to photography and early on, I'd have some friends and family tell me I would be good at marketing, so that's what I tried pursuing in College. Everything was going well the first year. The second year though, when some classes involved math, I hit that wall. BAM! I wasn't even at their level, so how could I even follow to begin with? It was a frustrating realization.
Exactly. And the worst part is that it interferes with everything else. I love science. I (used to) love coding. I love the idea of engineering. But going beyond the most basic forms of those, and many other topics, requires a great deal of math. I didn't just crash an burn in algebra, I crashed and burned in a half a dozen other classes in college because I couldn't handle the math. I almost got booted after my first semester when I failed biology, biology lab, chemistry, and chemistry lab, all at the same time, and all because of the math. I'm not dumb. The theories and ideas made complete and total sense to me, and I caught on to those fast. But when it came time to calculate the molarity of something, I was done. I had no idea how to proceed.

Having a weakness in math means that you have a weakness in half of everything else. And it isn't like I haven't tried to rectify it. I've read books on math, I've taken online math classes. It's like my mind simply refuses to function once math goes from concrete to abstract, somewhere around algebra.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am willing to provide math tutoring in a class or 1-on-1 session to anyone who would like to explore it. Even having a discussion beforehand about the subject before we get to numbers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spicy is something you adapt to. I've got friends who don't eat spicy foods warn me that something is pretty spicy, but I can barely taste it. I have known spice-eaters who offer me something mild that I can barely swallow. I've had Hispanic friends who grew up with tons of spice walk into a cloud of pepper spray and not be affected.

Any discussions of spicyness should come with a disclaimer of the current poster's normal spice level!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:47 pm Any discussions of spicyness should come with a disclaimer of the current poster's normal spice level!
Which is precisely what I did that provoked Sudy's response.
Sudy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 pm I enjoy a tingle on my tongue, but I don't need a nuclear holocaust scorching every orifice from mouth to pores.
If you go for the same level of tingle too often it eventually stops tingling, so you need to up the level to get the same tingle back... the cycle continues until you are complaining that Ghost Pepper just isn't doing it for you anymore.

I've learned that nothing marketed mainstream is going to register for me but I was still a little disappointed that the donut wasn't doing it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm I am willing to provide math tutoring in a class or 1-on-1 session to anyone who would like to explore it. Even having a discussion beforehand about the subject before we get to numbers.
As awesome as that would be (and thank you), I'm not sure that anything would make a difference without identifying why math is such a problem for me. It'd be like continually turning the key and pumping the gas when the car won't start. If it is something like dyscalculia, it wouldn't help. If it's a mental block brought on by years of frustration*, I'd have to find a way past that before learning could happen, and that would likely require a therapist way beyond the ones I'd have access to on medicare in rural Indiana.

*This is a possibility. I moved around a lot growing up before the days of educational standards. There were years I'd attend three schools in two states, multiple times. A made-up example of why that was a problem: School 1 might get us as far as starting multiplication. I move, and they're doing subtraction. Easy! Then I move again and they're doing fractions. Note that in this example, there was no division. I'm now in a school doing fractions without knowing division. And never once did a teacher recognize the problem. It's entirely possible that young me got so frustrated with math that I put up a mental 'Do Not Enter' sign that I am no longer aware of how to remove.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm more than willing to explore the outlines of the elephant in order to help get the frame of the problem more clearly defined. Even that is worth my time.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Netflix sent me an email telling me which shows were trending in my area. I should move. Hubie Halloween was too high on the list at #2.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newness always draws a crowd. It's how long the crowd keeps coming that's a truer measure of the locals.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:57 pm I'm more than willing to explore the outlines of the elephant in order to help get the frame of the problem more clearly defined. Even that is worth my time.
I'm helping a kid in school going through it now if you need someone with a different perspective on it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:43 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Exactly. And the worst part is that it interferes with everything else. I love science. I (used to) love coding. I love the idea of engineering. But going beyond the most basic forms of those, and many other topics, requires a great deal of math. I didn't just crash an burn in algebra, I crashed and burned in a half a dozen other classes in college because I couldn't handle the math. I almost got booted after my first semester when I failed biology, biology lab, chemistry, and chemistry lab, all at the same time, and all because of the math. I'm not dumb. The theories and ideas made complete and total sense to me, and I caught on to those fast. But when it came time to calculate the molarity of something, I was done. I had no idea how to proceed.

Having a weakness in math means that you have a weakness in half of everything else. And it isn't like I haven't tried to rectify it. I've read books on math, I've taken online math classes. It's like my mind simply refuses to function once math goes from concrete to abstract, somewhere around algebra.
Yep, I love science too, and I even started coding using Basic in the early 80's, which is what led me to coding websites. It's easy enough and most of the time it doesn't involve any math. Whenever I come across references to math, say in fiction or otherwise, like much of Neal Stephenson's stuff, my mind glosses over that stuff, hoping it won't interfere with my understanding of the stories. Sometimes I get the basic gist, enough to get me to understand the intent. It's frustrating because it's hard to explain to someone that it's not because I want to or don't want to, but because I simply can't process it. And I squirm anytime someone says math is fun. Yeah, there's the calculator, but in College, I remember being told I couldn't use it in certain classes, and at that point I realized it was futile. Of course, the other half is in knowing how to use that tool and have that bit of learning. Another frustrating experience has been in the pace of the teachings, making me wonder how I would keep up. Everything is assumed that everyone knows.

I've been told I'm smart, and I can really go places when I apply myself, so there are definitely areas I excel at. Math is definitely not one of them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The offer is open to anyone.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:55 pm It's entirely possible that young me got so frustrated with math that I put up a mental 'Do Not Enter' sign that I am no longer aware of how to remove.
i am almost positive this is my issue. if it is, i can say it can be 'fixed', but you have to go back far enough to identify at what exact point the problem lies, and to make sure you have all the previous foundational learnings _down_.

i took Pre-Calc three times over a decade (high school, college, tech institute) doing better each time (from D+ to B to A-) - that last time i had the benefit of an extremely lucid textbook and i really wish i can remember what it was.

i've attempted calculus twice and wasn't able to finish. i have, since then, read this twice and i recommend it as it doesn't actually use any numbers, it just explains the concept and i think you'll find it of interest: http://www.clearwaterpublishing.com/calculus-for-cats/
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

#1: I wonder, for some, if it really is in part some kind of visualization disability or processing difference. I always found mental calculation to require an almost unattainable level of concentration. Yet thinking creatively, like to compose an essay or story, is almost effortless.

#2: The appeal of Adam Sandler outside of his occasional dramatic role eludes me more severely than the previously discussed Will Ferrell.

#3: I apologize, I was aiming for bargain-bin Lewis Black with the spiciness bit. I grew up fearing heat, but then I found an appreciation for sriracha and sambal oelek and have experimented with other sauces. Excessive use does still mess up my guts though, so I don't usually venture beyond "menu medium". I already suffer from IBS and don't feel the need to toss grenades into that firestorm.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I could do math in my head at school but could not get it right on paper. Annoyed both me and the teacher. I started sleeping in math class. I gave up and she did too. Come 6 month exams I got 100. They tried to claim I copied off the smart guy near me but he got a lower score. Meh. Hated math. Not getting math does not mean you're not smart.

My wife who was a teacher with a masters degree and a high ass IQ always told me education and intelligence are two different things.

With me I excelled in science and tech. But diagramming sentence left me cold. When the hell would I be diagramming sentences in the real world anyways.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 pm With me I excelled in science and tech. But diagramming sentence left me cold. When the hell would I be diagramming sentences in the real world anyways.
My wife and I were in Honors English together in Grade 7 and 8 and we learned to diagram sentences from a wonderful teacher. We still diagram sentences together for fun.

As far as math...I only know Drug Math. And Kitchen Math. They are kinda the same thing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the foam in the seat of one of my computer office chairs is starting to compress too much. i could get new foam, carve it and sand it into the right shape, take apart the chair and remove the upholstery, remove the old foam, glue the new foam on and reassemble everything... or i have a brand new $500 home office furniture reimbursement from the job.

i tried to get this approved

https://www.madisonseating.com/aeron-ch ... mrald.html

with me saying i would cover all the costs above $500. i was just told NOPE CAN'T HAPPEN

anyone have a lead on a similar Aeron chair for ... just under $500? refurbished is fine.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read that link as "Madison's eating." :think:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm anyone have a lead on a similar Aeron chair for ... just under $500? refurbished is fine.
Craigslist is likely your best bet, especially with the vast number of businesses that have closed or are closing due to the coronavirus or switching to WFH. Don't be shy about haggling and negotiating for a more favourable deal, either.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:32 pm The offer is open to anyone.
Thanks for the kind offer, but it's like BH says, it would probably require so much effort at this point. Plus, I don't want to make you feel frustrated and annoyed. I've gone through numerous tutors and special needs groups and they've all ended at pretty much the same result, with me not being any closer than I was before.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'd be afraid it would just be wasted time. The problem isn't a lack of access to education (nobody with internet access can make that claim), but some other roadblock that I haven't figured out yet. But the idea of someone helping is very appealing, regardless.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seriously, don't worry about my time. If it ends in spun wheels on your part, it's not going to bother me any. You won't be any worse off, but you may be better off.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 pm Seriously, don't worry about my time. If it ends in spun wheels on your part, it's not going to bother me any. You won't be any worse off, but you may be better off.
Fuck it bro, if none of these other clowns will take you up on your increasingly earnest offers I'll let you convert my proficiency in Drug Math into effortless Canadian to US dollar conversion rates. They may...umm...overlap to a degree...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:12 pm The problem isn't a lack of access to education (nobody with internet access can make that claim), but some other roadblock that I haven't figured out yet.
That's exactly it, BH. I wish it were that easy. At least you're not alone.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 pm Seriously, don't worry about my time. If it ends in spun wheels on your part, it's not going to bother me any. You won't be any worse off, but you may be better off.
Fuck it bro, if none of these other clowns will take you up on your increasingly earnest offers I'll let you convert my proficiency in Drug Math into effortless Canadian to US dollar conversion rates. They may...umm...overlap to a degree...
Whatever works. You got time an evening this weekend, let me know.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm anyone have a lead on a similar Aeron chair for ... just under $500? refurbished is fine.
There are 2 on that site under "You May Also Like" that are under $500.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Brian

Post by Brian »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:20 pm As far as math...I only know Drug Math. And Kitchen Math. They are kinda the same thing.
When I was in the Navy we would stop at various ports around the world and the easiest way we found to equivocate the various exchange rates for foreign currency was to translate everything into how much it took to buy one bottle of beer. So X number of lyra/pounds/shekels/drachma = 1 beer or roughly $1.50 at early 90s prices.

So, a quick look at how much local currency one would carry and a bit of simple math would tell you something like "ok, so I've got about 10 beers worth in my pocket."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be clear, I'm not dismissing the offer, and I don't think Rumpy is, either. But taking something major that I've failed at repeatedly for decades, exposing a major weakness that most people have simply dismissed as laziness or stupidity, something that's humiliated me time and time again, and then making a serious commitment to someone involving those things is extremely difficult. Intimidating, even. It's hard to go back to something that has made you so miserable for so long.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:12 pm Yeah, I'd be afraid it would just be wasted time. The problem isn't a lack of access to education (nobody with internet access can make that claim), but some other roadblock that I haven't figured out yet. But the idea of someone helping is very appealing, regardless.
Have you ever tried learning the Trachtenberg system of basic mathematics? I found it to be a huge game-changer as a wee nipper.

The Trachtenberg method is not only speedy, but surprisingly simple. There are no multiplication tables, nor division. To learn the system one need only be able to count. It's really quite ingenious. So I always recommend reading that book (which is freely available courtesy of archive.org) to anyone who has difficulty with math, or for those interested in increasing the speed and accuracy of their mental arithmetic and calculations.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was OK thru algebra and geometry. Algebra is logic, and geometry is shapes. I foundered on calculus. I must've been absent the day they explained what that is.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Derivatives are easy. Integration is hard.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:14 pm I was OK thru algebra and geometry. Algebra is logic, and geometry is shapes. I foundered on calculus. I must've been absent the day they explained what that is.

You need a slide rule.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This thread has become as dull as math class :)