News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:05 pm Definitely doesn't have the same scares, but I'm still hooked nonetheless. It's much more suspense than horror this time around.
Finished it (Bly Manor) last night, a bit uneven and sometimes frustrating in parts, but the end reveals and more importantly the heart of the show really made it a great watch by the finale. Tears were shed lol.
Spoiler:
Ep 8 felt pretty much like a stand alone movie, really rich in detail and serving as a fantastic "prequel" - loved seeing the Theo actress from season 1, wished she had more than just the single ep. Ep 9 wrapped things up in a very satisfying way, and it was clever/interesting to find the biggest reveal that the season was really at its heart a beautiful lesbian love story. Reminded me of a Black Mirror episode where you could feel it throughout the story but it kind of crept up on you.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:07 pm Barbarians

Enlarge Image
Are the Romans speaking in Latin???
It's nice that the dialog isn't in english with different accents for the Romans and barbarians.
I'd much prefer that the dialog be in English, regardless of the accents. I cannot watch subtitled movies. I either watch the visuals and miss the dialog, or I watch the dialog and have no idea what's going on the film.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:07 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:

Enlarge Image
Are the Romans speaking in Latin???
It's nice that the dialog isn't in english with different accents for the Romans and barbarians.
I'd much prefer that the dialog be in English, regardless of the accents. I cannot watch subtitled movies. I either watch the visuals and miss the dialog, or I watch the dialog and have no idea what's going on the film.
I love subtitles because language is an actors' tool. If the cast acts and speaks in English then that's good (for me), but dubbing is the worst possible option.

In this case it looks like we have German-speaking "barbarians" (who would never have called themselves barbarians, despite the trailer dialogue) and Latin-speaking Romans. I don't know enough to judge, but I suspect that the German of 2,000 years ago sounded very little like the German of today.

Hearing Latin spoken might be worth it, though, if the actors have been sufficiently coached.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw a video that claimed the Latin pronunciations we heard in high school are completely wrong. I guess it's up for interpretation.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I certainly appreciate hearing the original dialog. That isn't the issue. The problem is that following both the visual elements and the subtitles is a form of multitasking that I am terrible at. I invariably lose track of one or them due to focusing on the other and as a result lose track of what's happening in the film altogether. Subs vs dubs aren't a preference for me. One makes the movie slightly inferior to the original, the other makes it impossible for me to watch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For me, it depends on the content. For movies, I prefer the original language. And there have been english language remakes that haven't been nearly as good.

For a series, it depends on the content. If historical drama like Narcos, I watch it in the original language, but if it's a sci-fi like Dark and The Rain, where more specific terms and concepts that are more complex may enter the equation, I'll find it easier to follow using the english dubbing. And btw, I find that dubbing has improved a lot in recent years. Yeah, there are still crappy jobs, like Babylon Berlin for instance, but I watched Dark with the english dubbing and it was excellent. They never sounded distant and always sounded right via different scenes and environments , and that may be because they possibly did them on the same sets via the same actors? The Rain's dubbing is fairly good as well, feeling like they come from the actors themselves and never felt out of place.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Speaking of foreign series, has anyone watched the Turkish show Resurrection? It's a historical drama set in pre-Ottoman 13th Century Syria/Turkey. My father has been raving about it, but he has a high tolerance for often pretty terrible historical dramas. I've thought about checking it out, but it is 448 (!!!) episodes long. That's quite the commitment.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Iirc, the professor that did The Great Course lectures on the Ottoman Empire mentioned it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:02 pm Speaking of foreign series, has anyone watched the Turkish show Resurrection? It's a historical drama set in pre-Ottoman 13th Century Syria/Turkey. My father has been raving about it, but he has a high tolerance for often pretty terrible historical dramas. I've thought about checking it out, but it is 448 (!!!) episodes long. That's quite the commitment.
I saw that a while back and was surprised. I’m not sure it isn’t a Mexican telenovela.
He won. Period.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Lordnine wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:57 am I've watched the first three episodes of The Haunting of Bly Manor. I don't think it is as good as the first series but I have still very entertained by it.
I'm a few episodes in. Quite enjoying so far. I love that he reused so many actors, but puts them in TOTALLY different roles.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:18 am I'm about half way through Teenage Bounty Hunters and, while I'm still not sure what to make of it, I'm enjoying it.
I finished this today and thought it was great. It's quirky, but the two leads are fantastic together. The only caution is Netflix cancelled it due to Covid, which really stinks. Wish there was a way to contact the creator to see what she had planned for the next season.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No comments on the final season of Kipo that dropped this week? We're only one episode in, but so far it's still Kipo. Which is to say, great.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tao

Post by Tao »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 pm No comments on the final season of Kipo that dropped this week? We're only one episode in, but so far it's still Kipo. Which is to say, great.
Still really enjoying the show. As this is the last season I am rationing my watching down to 2 episodes per week so I can draw out the enjoyment for a few weeks.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I watch the BLY series. It was interesting to see the actors from the first series (haunted hill house) play different characters here. Nice twist that I don't think I've seen done before.

I'm not sure it is better than the first one except for the ending. The ending was really good and much better than hill house.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Anyone seen the Netflix film The Devil All the Time? I was looking for something new to watch last night and stumbled on to it while browsing. Wow, it's really good.

It starts off very slow and I wasn't sure what direction it was going to take. I knew nothing about the film going in. Zero. Then it comes into its own and ends great. I won't spoil it, but just wanted to say that it is worthy to watch one evening. And go cold going in!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Torfish wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:27 am I watch the BLY series. It was interesting to see the actors from the first series (haunted hill house) play different characters here. Nice twist that I don't think I've seen done before.
That is a staple of the American Horror Stories series.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know I'm late to the party here, but 4 episodes in and I am really enjoying Cobra Kai.

Oh, also, I take back everything bad I said about Schitt's Creek. We watched the final season last week and somewhere between the end of the first season and the start of the final season, I figured out I really liked it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Catherine O'Hara is a damn treasure.

Have I mentioned that before? I'm sure I've mentioned that before.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched this with my daughter, a Disney's Netflix's Animated Musical.

Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote:Catherine O'Hara is a damn treasure.

Have I mentioned that before? I'm sure I've mentioned that before.
I didn't realize she was in Schitt's Creek. I will have to check it out now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of the best things about her portrayal of the matriarch of the Schitts was her insistence that her character be allowed to wear a ton of different wigs. Dan Levy in interviews said that he didn’t think it would work, but was quickly proven wrong. They’re almost a character on their own.

But yeah, she’s one of the stars. If you like her, you’ll love her in this.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek

Post by naednek »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 am I know I'm late to the party here, but 4 episodes in and I am really enjoying Cobra Kai.

Oh, also, I take back everything bad I said about Schitt's Creek. We watched the final season last week and somewhere between the end of the first season and the start of the final season, I figured out I really liked it.
I'm a few episodes in on Schitts creek and it feels like it's trying to be Arrested Development
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Torfish wrote:Anyone seen the Netflix film The Devil All the Time? I was looking for something new to watch last night and stumbled on to it while browsing. Wow, it's really good.

It starts off very slow and I wasn't sure what direction it was going to take. I knew nothing about the film going in. Zero. Then it comes into its own and ends great. I won't spoil it, but just wanted to say that it is worthy to watch one evening. And go cold going in!
We watched it a few weeks ago. I thought it was fantastic.

Last night I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7. That might be the best movie I’ve seen this year.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:02 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 am I know I'm late to the party here, but 4 episodes in and I am really enjoying Cobra Kai.

I'm a few episodes in on Schitts creek and it feels like it's trying to be Arrested Development
The only thing I can think of that is even remotely like Arrested Development is that the family lost all their money. :?

The comedy is far less absurd, there’s no meta jokes, no narration, AD didn’t have the fish out of water theme.

But even ignoring all that, the comedy is almost the opposite of AD. I love AD, but it was far more cynical in tone.
msteelers wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:36 pm
Torfish wrote:Anyone seen the Netflix film The Devil All the Time? I was looking for something new to watch last night and stumbled on to it while browsing. Wow, it's really good.

We watched it a few weeks ago. I thought it was fantastic.
I mentioned it earlier in a post praising it. I love American gothic and this one just oozed that from every poor. And the younger Skarsgard was damn good in it. That surprised me.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enlarge Image
So I watched the first episode tonight and it wasn't bad. It was a bit slow for me because I'm more interested in the history than I am in "young barbarian love" angle portrayed early on, but now the main protagonist was revealed at the end so I expect things to pick up. But what impressed me was the more or less historical armor the Romans had. The cavalry has the correct elongated hexagonal shields, the German auxiliary cavalry was equipped with Roman helmets and mail shirts (not legionary armor), the Roman general had the "muscle" cuirass, the Roman legionary infantry had lorica segmentata (which was found at the Teutoberg Forest battlefield), and the cavalry mask was a nice touch though it probably wasn't worn under these circumstances (more for parade ground).
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, I'm going to check it out tonight, I think.

Has anyone watched La Revolution yet? It's an alternate history view of the French Revolution with supernatural overtones. It looks very stylish and interesting, but looks can be deceiving. I think I'm going to give that one a try too though.

He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Netflix does chess.
I just "blitzed" through this 7 part series and it was very well done. Best depiction of tournament chess I've seen on the screen (except they moved WAY too fast), and Anya Taylor-Joy was perfectly cast.

On the final game with Borgov, they made one significant error in the commentary when they said "Borgov declines," as he accepted the Queen's Gambit. You can see all the actual moves of the final game, with analysis, on Agadmator's You Tube channel:

Standing ovation!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:27 pm The Queen's Gambit

Enlarge Image
Watched the first episode of this tonight. Really good so far. Check it out.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:32 am Cool, I'm going to check it out tonight, I think.
FYI, the second episode stepped it up and it was much better.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We, too, are enjoying The Queen's Gambit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:14 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:32 am Cool, I'm going to check it out tonight, I think.
FYI, the second episode stepped it up and it was much better.
The final scene of episode one hooked me. That character is great. I’m two episodes in and still enjoying it.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, not exclusive, but I couldn't find the other Netflix thread. I can highly recommend Fisherman's Friends on Netflix where it's available. It's great fun and was filmed in the same village as Doc Martin.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Letterman + Lizzo seems like a great combination.