Assassin's Creed Vahalla

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Assassin's Creed Vahalla

Post by Max Peck »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:15 pm I hope AC Vahalla totally fails on PC so that they'll change their mind and bring it and future title back to Steam. I prefer to have more choices on where to get my games.
If The Division 2 and Breakpoint didn't fail on PC due to being EGS/Uplay exclusive, then Valhalla is going to be fine. Ubisoft's customer base is used to the new status quo by now, and Ubisoft is fine with their PC sales numbers.

Besides, even if you buy a newish Ubisoft game on Steam, you're still required to run the game through Uplay, so the only choice we'd have is whether or not to give Steam a slice of the pie in order to use it for a Uplay launcher, with trading cards and cheevos of course. :coffee:

For myself, I'd probably purchase it on Steam if that was an option, but since it isn't I'm just going to buy it directly from Ubisoft.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Assassin's Creed Valhalla has Mortal Kombat-style X-ray attacks
Despite the series's increasingly high body count, Assassin's Creed isn't typically very gory, but that's set to change with Assassin's Creed Valhalla. We've already seen quite a bit of Eivor murdering their way through England with plenty of flair and brutality, and it looks like we'll also be able to see all that damage up close.

Near the end of the July 12 gameplay overview trailer, below, we see Eivor assassinating someone by kicking them to the ground and plunging her hidden blade into their chest. At that point, we're treated to a grisly look at their insides, with the blade shattering bone and piercing their organs. Though it looked like a cinematic touch made for the trailer, it's actually a feature that you'll be able to trigger yourself.
This game is looking like more and more of a pass for me. I'm thinking I'm going to miss all the stealth I've come to enjoy in the series.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Both stealth and brutality are part of the Sniper Elite series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Based on my latest understanding it comes out 2 days before Cyberpunk so I will play it, but it won't be in the first couple of weeks.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 am Both stealth and brutality are part of the Sniper Elite series.
I should have expressed myself more clearly.

<steps up on soapbox>

It isn't the brutality as such, which as you note is present in the Sniper Elite series as well and which I have enjoyed playing, it is that stealthly gameplay seems to be taking a back seat to large scale slash and mash. IIRC, this first really made its presence known in the AC series in Odessey, but those big battles were optional after the first one and I never bothered with them. I just feel like the series is morphing into something different, with sea battles, massive land fights and a focus on gore. I really liked the idea of the assassin in Assassin's Creed, with lots of stealth gameplay, complex plots and rooftop movement, a swift knife thrust and you were gone. I feel like they are just appending the AC label onto a game which is not, in spirit, an AC game.

Just in passing, I'll note that I watched a gameplay video of Watch Dogs Legion and in the course of it your character was discovered in a secure facility and a long gunfight developed. I've always felt, from my playing of the first two Watch Dog games, that if you fail to maintain stealth and a fight starts, you'd better (in most cases, not all) get yourself out of there because eventually you'll be outgunned, but this gameplay video seemed to indicate that going loud was an option, not a last resort.

The irony is that with UPLAY+ I'm already planning to play these games since essentially I'm already paying for them :roll:.

<steps off soapbox, fall flat on face>
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 am Based on my latest understanding it comes out 2 days before Cyberpunk so I will play it, but it won't be in the first couple of weeks.
It is now coming out November 10th, so you'll have nine days to play it!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 am Based on my latest understanding it comes out 2 days before Cyberpunk so I will play it, but it won't be in the first couple of weeks.
Long enough to finish it! :) I do have a bunch of vacation days left this year...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 am
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 am
Long enough to finish it! :) I do have a bunch of vacation days left this year...
My vacation days are dedicated to Cyberpunk! Valhalla will just have to wait for spare time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I pre-ordered the PS4 version, but only intend to play it on the PS5 (The PS4 version is $49 on Amazon). My PS5 launch day will be spent playing this and Demon Souls.
FTE
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Gaming Nexus, Swap between FemViking and BroViking at any time in Assassin's Creed Valhalla
If I was ever on the fence about Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I sure ain't anymore. Seven-and-a-half minutes of deep dive video later, I'm drinking from goat horns, getting a longship tattooed across my back, and sharpening my throwing axe.

The first cool feature I want to mention is that you can swap between male Eivor and female Eivor at will. Boom. Done. No more worrying about being stuck with one voice actor or the other once the internet collectively decides, "Don't play unless you're FemEivor," or "BroEivor is best." Or: Let the Animus decide: The animus will represent the stronger female or male memory-stream, depending on its current strength.

I'm getting this because I have Uplay+, but damn this seems quite a ways away from sneaking along rooftops and making stealth kills :?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I can't resist posting this article if for nothing but the title: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s system requirements may leave your wallet feeling Thor
Sure, we’re all itching to set off with Eivor and start raiding the English countryside and playing an unhealthy amount of Orlog, but what are the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla system requirements for PC? Ubisoft has published its recommendations, and there are quite a few configurations for PC owners to consider.
I guess I'll be limping along in 30 fps mode :roll:

Enlarge Image

By the way, how do I know if my RAM has Dual-Channel mode?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:13 pm By the way, how do I know if my RAM has Dual-Channel mode?
There's probably a way to tell in software that I'm not aware of, but if you consult the manual for your motherboard it will tell you if it supports dual channel (which it almost certainly does) and where the RAM has to be slotted for it to be active.

Those requirements are steep. I don't quite have the GPU for high but all my other components smash it, so I'm curious what performance I'll get.
I no longer post here.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's interesting that the difference between Enthusiast and Ultra is purely the CPU rather than the GPU. I assume it's a typo, but they actually show a higher-end Nvidia GPU for Enthusiast (RTX 2080 S) than for Ultra (RTX 2080).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Article from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Assassin's Creed Valhalla's PC requirements are way more demanding than AC Odyssey
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey remains one of the most demanding games you can play on PC right now, but having taken a closer look at Ubisoft’s recently released PC requirements for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, it looks like Eivor and the rest of their Viking pals will be sticking a much heavier boot into our PC’s performance than even Kassandra’s mighty Spartan kick. In short, they’re proper demanding these Valhalla specs, as what once passed for Ubisoft’s recommended 4K spec in Odyssey is now only suitable for High at 1080p in ye olde England.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My concern is that they're doing away with traditional sidequests, and going with world-events and minigames might end up feeling more tedious.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm My concern is that they're doing away with traditional sidequests, and going with world-events and minigames might end up feeling more tedious.
Did you see this RPS article? Hot take: Assassin's Creed Valhalla's map needs more quest markers
“Less is more”. A classic advertising slogan isn’t it? I imagine a minimalist house with shelves that fold away discreetly and a glass coffee table that sits in an expanse of glossy white. They’re often marketed as an economic use of space that cuts out any unnecessary noise. I don’t disagree! If anything, I can see the appeal. But I prefer homes with a bit of character. Sentimental objects everywhere, stacks of books strewn on desks, low beams and old fireplaces. These are the sorts of spaces I like, where all the clutter has history and gives the place personality.

Ubisoft clearly designed Assassin’s Creed Valhalla with a brochure of the former open, and I came away from my hands on demo feeling like the world they’d crafted was certainly beautiful, but largely devoid of things to do. Throughout my playtime, I craved the feeling Assassin’s Creed Odyssey gave me, of barrelling through a map littered with icons and crashing into its caves and forts and chests. I wanted to dash between markers, but instead I was left spinning in the English countryside.

I get why Ubisoft have toned the quest markers down here, as it’s become a running joke that every game they release comes positively exploding with bloatware. I mean, take Odyssey for example. It was a trillion years long and packed with an almost insurmountable number of things to do. Most of it trivial too, like handing a packet of herbs over to someone’s mate who lived literally two seconds down the road. Opening the map to look for something else to take your fancy, you’d end up brushing over all the map markers in a sort of overwhelmed trance.

But for me at least, it still feels like Ubisoft have stripped the activities back a bit too much. I don’t think I’d have felt so passionately about this had they treated the world like a boutique, with hand-picked artisanal content on the map, so that no matter what you found you’d be guaranteed a deep, rich experience every time. Instead, almost all the side activities I got stuck into didn’t seem any more complex than before, with the only difference being that there were less of them.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I hadn't, but I watched the deep dive, and I got the impression that while there might be less, they might also be less substantial, and the article doesn't exactly leave me feeling with much hope for them. At least, one thing that's clear is that they seem to have been inspired by the Witcher with a lot of humor.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article from PCGamesN: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is about “the harsh reality” of the Dark Ages
Assassin’s Creed has changed. What began as an exciting and original historical action adventure series in 2007 had long since declined into formula and listlessness a decade later, obliging a reboot with 2017’s Assassin’s Creed Origins.

The new course embraced RPG mechanics and a heavy dose of fantasy – even beyond the long-running thread of a hyper-advanced ‘First Civilisation’. Origins’ successor Odyssey – a gorgeous, epic romp around the Peloponnesian War and Greek mythology – was even better received, and we’re now a little over a month away from plundering (or perhaps, peacefully settling) Dark Age England as a Viking raider named Eivor in this year’s Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

So what to expect this time around? Jordan has gotten his hands on the game twice now – once to drink and battle-rap, and most recently, to play an awful lot of dice – and had plenty of questions to ask of game director Eric Baptizat, as did I, wearing my hat as PCGN’s history nerd. Topics covered include the return of social stealth, the Norse and British mythological elements, and the nuanced depiction of such historical figures as Alfred the Great.

For a lengthy but informative chat on all these topics and more, read on.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not buying this unless I beat at least one of the last two games. I don't think I've ever finished one in the entire series! :oops:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:37 pm I'm not buying this unless I beat at least one of the last two games. I don't think I've ever finished one in the entire series! :oops:
The first one is the only one I never finished. I don't think I could go back at this point.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I get really bored with the checklist feel of pretty much any of UBISOFT games. It always devolves into me running around and doing stuff because it's on the list... And then I remember I couldn't care less about completing lists and do something else. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:37 pm I'm not buying this unless I beat at least one of the last two games. I don't think I've ever finished one in the entire series! :oops:
I finished Origins although I took quite a break from it when I had completed most of the campaign. I finally went back and completed what turned out to be just a few hours more. I really enjoyed the experience.

I got through about 40 hours of Odyssey and just burned out because I felt like I wasn't enjoying the gameplay anymore. There just seemed to be too much of a feeling of sameness by that point.
Assassin’s Creed has changed. What began as an exciting and original historical action adventure series in 2007 had long since declined into formula and listlessness a decade later, obliging a reboot with 2017’s Assassin’s Creed Origins.
Now see, I disagree with that, I think AC Syndicate was a good rebound from AC Unity which, even allowing for the glitches and whatnot, just didn't click with me. I think Syndicate represented the best of what I call the Second Generation AC gameplay (AC2 being the best of the first generation). Starting with AC Origins is the third generation and so far Origins has been the best. Sadly what I'm seeing from the Valhalla previews hasn't convinced me that the gameplay is going in the right direction.

I'm really, really hoping that the game after Valhalla won't be even more "hack-and-slash" and will instead go back to the Syndicate formula. In my mind I'm setting it in New York City in the first decade of the twentieth century. The mind boggles over the possible side quest storylines :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ubisoft tweets that Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is gold
They confirm this means the Viking installment in the action/RPG series will be hitting it's planned November 10th release date:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There should be a web site where people announce their games have gone gold.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:14 pm There should be a web site where people announce their games have gone gold.
It would be so useful, wouldn't it? :wink:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Well...to my shame, I have preordered. Don't try this at home, kids! I very rarely preorder games, but I've loved every Assassin's Creed I've played (except the first one) and, to be honest, I love Ubisoft games in general. They are the masters of the open world, and those worlds are never anything less than absolutely stunning. I shall provide impressions after November 10!
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nothing wrong with preordering if you were going to get it release day anyway. I'm pretty much a Uplay fan which is why I signed up for Uplay+ last year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Uplay+ doesn't have anything Im interested in that I dont already own and have completed.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm Nothing wrong with preordering if you were going to get it release day anyway. I'm pretty much a Uplay fan which is why I signed up for Uplay+ last year.
That's true. Plus by buying directly from Ubisoft I was able to get a 20% discount by redeeming some of those points you earn by playing their games.
I no longer post here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Paradroid wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 am
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm Nothing wrong with preordering if you were going to get it release day anyway. I'm pretty much a Uplay fan which is why I signed up for Uplay+ last year.
That's true. Plus by buying directly from Ubisoft I was able to get a 20% discount by redeeming some of those points you earn by playing their games.
How did you manage that trick? I just went over there to do it and it wouldn't let me redeem the code. When I looked at the fine print it told me that pre-orders and recent releases are ineligible?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Really? Maybe it's a region thing. It definitely let me do it. I just clicked on the points balance thing and it let me redeem 100 for the discount.
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New article from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Big back tats and stripy ravens: the best bits of Assassin's Creed Valhalla's settlement
In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla you’ll be in charge of building a Settlement (with a capital S) called Ravensthorpe for your comrades, which’ll act as a base of operations and somewhere to relax post axe throw. When you first invade England you’ll start small with a few folks in tents, but as you progress and invest in its development, it’s meant to expand into a thriving community offering many benefits.

I recently got hands on with Valhalla and I was able to see for myself what the Settlement actually had to offer. Although I’d should mention that I was dumped at least a few hours into the story, so I’m not absolutely certain what buildings you’ll start off with. Either way, I had a good mosey about all the buildings, got a fresh trim, some new tats, and had a feast with my Viking buds. All in all, I reckon I got stuck in enough to give you the lowdown. And you know what? It’s alright.
Good gosh, sounds like Fallout 4 :roll:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep you hunt down tattoos like you hunted down sea shanties in Black Flag. Least thats how I saw it in one video.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I totally forgot this wasn't coming to STEAM. It barely matters anymore as the newer Ubi titles don't use anything but the STEAM wrapper to load the game and still force you to load Uplay to verify you're not a thief. No more cards; no more achievements, so I guess I need to get over my strong bond with STEAM as apparently I won't be playing this any other way.

Origin / EA is disappearing and merging with STEAM, Ubi is pulling away. It's a never ending dance.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm Yep you hunt down tattoos like you hunted down sea shanties in Black Flag. Least thats how I saw it in one video.
Black Flag was, by far, my favorite of the AC games. It was also the last one I played. The whole Abstergo/modern day overarching story was always really hard for me to follow, and I fear that I'm hopelessly lost now. I'm probably not going to go back and play the games I missed after Black Flag, but can anyone point me to a decent (short) synopsis of where the story is heading into Valhala?

Valhala looks sweet, btw!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hahah story in AC games. It's all nonsense. We play it for the tourism aspects and stealth and combat. The story is nonsense that turned sci-fi as I recall and then there hasn't really been any of the modern time stuff in the last couple games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:45 pm hahah story in AC games. It's all nonsense. We play it for the tourism aspects and stealth and combat. The story is nonsense that turned sci-fi as I recall and then there hasn't really been any of the modern time stuff in the last couple games.
Yup, no modern references I can recall in Origins or Odyssey. And while I didn't complete Odyssey, in Origins there was only the most superficial references to the Assassin's Creed canon. So you can just right into Valhalla without any real need to catch up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm Yep you hunt down tattoos like you hunted down sea shanties in Black Flag. Least thats how I saw it in one video.
Black Flag was, by far, my favorite of the AC games. It was also the last one I played. The whole Abstergo/modern day overarching story was always really hard for me to follow, and I fear that I'm hopelessly lost now. I'm probably not going to go back and play the games I missed after Black Flag, but can anyone point me to a decent (short) synopsis of where the story is heading into Valhala?

Valhala looks sweet, btw!
I know it's often listed as a favorite, but it's actually the only AC title I haven't played! I fell out of the series after #3 (Revolutionary war), but spent time during the summer of 2019 finishing Origins and then this last spring playing Odyssey. Both were absolutely fantastic. There were some short vignettes involving modern day, but nothing problematic. They really seem to have abandoned the pretense for all that sci-fi stuff - it's really just a thin veneer to justify the game play mechanics at this point.

Regardless, after Origins and Odyssey I have zero hesitations about Vahalla. This looks amazing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go