Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 48710
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 36908
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:42 pm The way the news talks the hype up and with cold weather and the flu incoming Im starting to wonder if there will be another run on toilet paper. Thinking I may need to stock up on toilet paper, paper towels, and hand sanitizer while I can instead of being caught without any. I mean Lysol hasn't been on shelves in my area all summer. The shelves are still bare where it should sit.
I've been maintaining the stockpiles that I built up in the spring. Whenever I use canned, dried, or paper goods from my hoard, I replace them, and I'll keep doing that until the pandemic is over. I estimate that I've got three months' worth of TP.

Supply chains are generally much more robust now than they were then, but still subject to disruption and potentially even collapse. They're only as strong as the producers, stevedores, teamsters, and retailers who work them. The winter wave is just getting started and we don't know how bad it will be.
Blue Hills Editorial Services
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 48710
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

I found this surprising yet not surprising. It surprises me the White House is actually telling a red state to mandate masks NOW. But doesn't surprise me that our idiot Governor is ignoring them and common sense.

White House: Tennessee mask mandate 'must be implemented'
The White House quietly told Tennessee early this week that “a statewide mask mandate must be implemented" to curb its growing spread of COVID-19, strong instructions that the White House and governor did not discuss publicly before the report emerged in a records request.

The Oct. 11 state report for Tennessee, where Republican Gov. Bill Lee has let counties decide whether to require masks in public, first came to light in a records request by WUOT-FM. The Associated Press obtained the report from the Knox County Health Department afterward.

"A statewide mask mandate must be implemented to stop the increasing spread among residents in rural and urban areas of Tennessee," the item in a list of recommendations states.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said he was not in favor of mask mandates, but the recommendations of the task force and public health agencies, like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have often been at odds with the White House's rhetoric.

The report takes the strongest tone to date in urging Tennessee to act, though Lee has made it clear for months that he did not think masks should be required across the state. Lee, who has urged people to wear masks, continued to advise against a statewide mandate Friday in an online news conference, in which he didn't mention the White House's instruction a few days earlier.

“Statewide, one-size-fits-all mandates are not as effective in many cases as local decision making,” Lee said.

In a statement late Friday, the governor's office said the White House report had not altered his thinking.

“The governor has strongly encouraged Tennesseans to make responsible decisions to protect themselves and others from COVID-19, including wearing masks in public, avoiding large gatherings, and staying home when sick," the statement said. “The governor’s view has not changed based upon non-binding recommendations from the federal government. Previous White House reports dating back to the summer have included similar recommendations, so the inclusion here is not novel."

Earlier in the week, the governor and his health commissioner downplayed the importance of releasing those White House “red zone” reports. They aren't regularly released publicly, but the governor's office has produced them when requested by The Associated Press.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 29798
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't touched my stockpile. I put back one extra roll of paper towels and one of TP back before the shortages hit (thanks for the warning, Smoove!), then bumped that up to three and three once it wasn't in short supply anymore. I still have a significant amount of food put back, plus three days of water.

Oh, and I know some others were putting back water in case of a utility disruption. It's been six months+. Don't forget to swap it out!
________________________________________
A last hope

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 7388
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:
Battlefinch’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:07 pm I found this surprising yet not surprising. It surprises me the White House is actually telling a red state to mandate masks NOW. But doesn't surprise me that our idiot Governor is ignoring them and common sense.

White House: Tennessee mask mandate 'must be implemented'
The White House quietly told Tennessee early this week that “a statewide mask mandate must be implemented" to curb its growing spread of COVID-19, strong instructions that the White House and governor did not discuss publicly before the report emerged in a records request.

The Oct. 11 state report for Tennessee, where Republican Gov. Bill Lee has let counties decide whether to require masks in public, first came to light in a records request by WUOT-FM. The Associated Press obtained the report from the Knox County Health Department afterward.

"A statewide mask mandate must be implemented to stop the increasing spread among residents in rural and urban areas of Tennessee," the item in a list of recommendations states.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said he was not in favor of mask mandates, but the recommendations of the task force and public health agencies, like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have often been at odds with the White House's rhetoric.

The report takes the strongest tone to date in urging Tennessee to act, though Lee has made it clear for months that he did not think masks should be required across the state. Lee, who has urged people to wear masks, continued to advise against a statewide mandate Friday in an online news conference, in which he didn't mention the White House's instruction a few days earlier.

“Statewide, one-size-fits-all mandates are not as effective in many cases as local decision making,” Lee said.

In a statement late Friday, the governor's office said the White House report had not altered his thinking.

“The governor has strongly encouraged Tennesseans to make responsible decisions to protect themselves and others from COVID-19, including wearing masks in public, avoiding large gatherings, and staying home when sick," the statement said. “The governor’s view has not changed based upon non-binding recommendations from the federal government. Previous White House reports dating back to the summer have included similar recommendations, so the inclusion here is not novel."

Earlier in the week, the governor and his health commissioner downplayed the importance of releasing those White House “red zone” reports. They aren't regularly released publicly, but the governor's office has produced them when requested by The Associated Press.
TN is now #9 of total cases in the country, i am sorry.

i've been using WA state as a measure - we've dropped to #27 of total cases. Mississippi, Iowa and Oklahoma recently surpassed us, Arkansas will do so by the end of this weekend, and now freakin _Utah_ is coming up fast...

(also been viewing Nevada and Colorado as the 'mid-way point' these other states are zooming past to the upper echelons - they're holding steady at #30 and #32)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html

Image
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 48710
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

I think after getting COVID that Trump is worried all his voters in TN will die off before election day.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 67411
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Image
Black lives matter
Jeff V
Posts: 33276
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jeff V »

Just a reminder, m asks do not protect the wearer, it protects others should you be infected. While cute, that Klingon clip does not apply, it has it backwards. The beligerant one may have been the only survivor of a mass-spreader event he caused with his carlessness.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 48710
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

I think they help a bit. Enough to where Ill keep wearing one.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 29798
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm Just a reminder, m asks do not protect the wearer, it protects others should you be infected. While cute, that Klingon clip does not apply, it has it backwards. The beligerant one may have been the only survivor of a mass-spreader event he caused with his carlessness.
I have heard the suggestion that it can reduce virus load if you do get infected, possibly reducing the severity of the disease.

Fake Kahless!
________________________________________
A last hope

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
dbt1949
Posts: 21955
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:34 am
Location: Hogeye Arkansas

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V
Posts: 33276
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Lorini
Posts: 7392
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 am
Location: Santa Clarita, California

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Lorini »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Laugh?
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 63509
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm Just a reminder, m asks do not protect the wearer, it protects others should you be infected. While cute, that Klingon clip does not apply, it has it backwards. The beligerant one may have been the only survivor of a mass-spreader event he caused with his carlessness.
Do not protect or protects a lot less? As far as I can tell it's the later. I think the peeing your pants analogy remains the best one to date, even it truly shows a liquid going through filters rather than a gases.
User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 11962
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Laugh?
Remind him that because it's all a hoax, he should sign a waiver that allows doctors to continually cycle him to the back of the respirator line behind people who were taking precautionary measures.

I woke up this morning with a little congestion in my throat that had to be cleared out, and I can still feel it there. I was worried for a moment until I remembered the dust clouds we kicked up yesterday while cleaning out the basement. I should have been wearing a mask for that.
2020 has been the longest century in recent history, and we're still not done with it.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 48710
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Loading…

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

55,000 'known' COVID cases per DAY. Good job US.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
Jeff V
Posts: 33276
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am
Lorini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Laugh?
Remind him that because it's all a hoax, he should sign a waiver that allows doctors to continually cycle him to the back of the respirator line behind people who were taking precautionary measures.

I woke up this morning with a little congestion in my throat that had to be cleared out, and I can still feel it there. I was worried for a moment until I remembered the dust clouds we kicked up yesterday while cleaning out the basement. I should have been wearing a mask for that.
I asked him how exactly he managed to get sick with a hoax and why ask FB what to do about it when your orange monkey god already told you to mainline some bleach and shove an ultraviolet light up your ass.

That didn't go over well with his family and friends -- all fellow Trumptards, to which I admitted it's not possible for me to summon even a single fuck to give over your plight.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
MHS
Posts: 9556
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:21 pm
Location: Longmont CO

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by MHS »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm
I asked him how exactly he managed to get sick with a hoax and why ask FB what to do about it when your orange monkey god already told you to mainline some bleach and shove an ultraviolet light up your ass.

That didn't go over well with his family and friends -- all fellow Trumptards, to which I admitted it's not possible for me to summon even a single fuck to give over your plight.
Are his initials R.H.? I don't know how you can stand that guy.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Jeff V
Posts: 33276
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jeff V »

MHS wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm Are his initials R.H.? I don't know how you can stand that guy.
No, R.H. is actually my cousin. This guy rarely, if ever, comments in my posts. We grew up in the same 'hood, but I didn't know him until we worked together at a hospital. He got fired for trying to run over the CIO in the parking lot. :shock:

He posted this morning how miserable he feels and the doctor told him he can't get any treatments unless he's hospitalized. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 63509
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am
Lorini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Laugh?
Remind him that because it's all a hoax, he should sign a waiver that allows doctors to continually cycle him to the back of the respirator line behind people who were taking precautionary measures.

I woke up this morning with a little congestion in my throat that had to be cleared out, and I can still feel it there. I was worried for a moment until I remembered the dust clouds we kicked up yesterday while cleaning out the basement. I should have been wearing a mask for that.
I asked him how exactly he managed to get sick with a hoax and why ask FB what to do about it when your orange monkey god already told you to mainline some bleach and shove an ultraviolet light up your ass.

That didn't go over well with his family and friends -- all fellow Trumptards, to which I admitted it's not possible for me to summon even a single fuck to give over your plight.
I don't think I could do that. Cut off all communication? Probably. But telling off a sick person I actually know. Not so much. If he was using FB to call COVID a hoax, the odds would have been very high that he would have been culled from my wall a long time ago. I, personally, had exactly 0 of my family and friends calling COVID a hoax that weren't culled for other reasons. I will say there was one particular Trump supporter who did not post only bumperstickers about Trump and COVID denial and she made it all the way until the end, where she started particular interest in "refuting" news I posted. She was a proximate cause of me suspending my account. She didn't break my personal rules on culling but she wore me down with insanity.... Zaxxon and RunningMan9 were doing my dirty work me, though, at the end and were taking none of her nonsense.
Jeff V
Posts: 33276
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Jeff V »

Mostly I ignore his crap, and he shovels prodigious amounts of it. Much of it racist as hell, but then he claims Republicans are better friends to minorities. For years he's been doing all he can to spread Trump's lies and his FB account gets routinely suspended. It's been awhile (pre-2016 I think) since we had a beer together, and we don't bring up politics but instead discuss our immigrant wives (he loathes his). Responding to some of it amuses me, but like with my cousin, it's a hit-or-run, I say my piece and drop it, refusing to engage on the outrage I create.
Black Lives Matter
Post Reply