Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by hitbyambulance »

was in a used music/movie/game store today and there was Disgaea 4 (PS3) for $10. still need to get 5, which will be on PC. (have 1 on PS2 and PC, 2 on PS2, 3 and 4 on PS3 and the PSP and DS releases. going to get the PC version of 2 as well, someday). wish they all could be ported to computer so i wouldn't have to bother with different consoles to play these.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Random thought .... I wonder if Bioware were thinking of the Kurgan from Highlander when they named the Krogan?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 pm was in a used music/movie/game store today and there was Disgaea 4 (PS3) for $10. still need to get 5, which will be on PC. (have 1 on PS2 and PC, 2 on PS2, 3 and 4 on PS3 and the PSP and DS releases. going to get the PC version of 2 as well, someday). wish they all could be ported to computer so i wouldn't have to bother with different consoles to play these.
Not a fan of emulators? :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

any of the available PS2 emulators works pretty well, but the PS3 one is not quite there yet.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I started playing Final Fantasy XV this weekend on the XBox. I bought it with the console back in 2017, but it didn't really click with me in the 3 hours I put into it. For reference, the last Final Fantasy game I played was V on the Super Nintendo in 1996.

Anywho, I replayed the tutorial and put about 13 hours into it this weekend. I'm not sure I love the combat, but it's more interesting that cartoon characters standing in one place and attacking like in V. It took me a really long time to fit this world into my view of Final Fantasy - the modern look was just off putting. Also, there is a lot of walking and driving which seems like completely wasted time. 3 minutes to drive somewhere on auto is stupid. I'm still in the starting area (Chapter 2 though) and Level 15, so maybe I just have to advance further for it to really hit it's groove.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
disarm

Post by disarm »

stessier wrote:I started playing Final Fantasy XV this weekend on the XBox. I bought it with the console back in 2017, but it didn't really click with me in the 3 hours I put into it. For reference, the last Final Fantasy game I played was V on the Super Nintendo in 1996.

Anywho, I replayed the tutorial and put about 13 hours into it this weekend. I'm not sure I love the combat, but it's more interesting that cartoon characters standing in one place and attacking like in V. It took me a really long time to fit this world into my view of Final Fantasy - the modern look was just off putting. Also, there is a lot of walking and driving which seems like completely wasted time. 3 minutes to drive somewhere on auto is stupid. I'm still in the starting area (Chapter 2 though) and Level 15, so maybe I just have to advance further for it to really hit it's groove.
I started FF XV about three months ago on a whim...wanted something my 6yo who loves Japanese cartoons could watch me play. It took a a little bit to get into the gameplay, but I'm now at level 58 after somewhere around 40-45 hours and still only on chapter 7. Once I hit chapter 3 and the world really opened up, I got sucked into doing hunts, collecting dog tags, running errands and just exploring the map. Income you've explored more of the map, you can do more quick-traveling instead of waiting for the car to drive around so slowly. Chocobos can also speed up getting around the map once you gain that ability.

I'm pretty over-leveled for the main story missions for now, but I'm still having fun. It's a much more light-hearted game than most of what I've played recently (Witcher 3, Last of Us 2) and a nice change of pace...fun characters with just enough challenge to keep it interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another ESO Plus free trial

This one runs through Monday Oct 19.
No credit card info is required to try out ESO Plus. Just visit the in-game Crown Store and activate it.
EDIT: Spent all that time downloading it and starting the free trial of the ESO+ so I could make a Warden and Necro to test.....it supposedly comes with all the DLC....and still cant have access to those 2 classes to create a character. BAH useless.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They specify what DLC you can access with the ESO+ trial:
  • Full access to DLC game packs—new zones, quests, dungeons, and more
    • Includes Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Shadows of the Hist, Morrowind (zone and story), Horns of the Reach, Clockwork City, Dragon Bones, Summerset (zone and story), Wolfhunter, Murkmire, Wrathstone, Elsweyr (zone and story), Scalebreaker, Dragonhold, Harrowstorm, and Stonethorn (our most-recent DLC!)
The Warden and Necromancer classes aren't included in those DLC packs, they're sold separately as upgrades or are included if you bought the Morrowind and Elsweyr chapters (which are now bundled in with the Greymoor chapter). If you haven't purchased the chapters or class upgrades, you don't get access to the new classes with a paid ESO+ subscription, so it's no surprise that they aren't included with a free trial. TANSTAAFL
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ubisoft and Crytek Breached
The ransomware operators said they breached the Ubisoft network, but only stole data, and did not encrypt any of the company's files. On the other hand, 'Crytek has been encrypted fully,' the Egregor crew told ZDNet." They say that user accounts are not the only files allegedly compromised
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That almost sounds like a repeat of an earlier incident. Wasn't the source code for the first Watch Dogs stolen?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I decided I wanted to check our Star Wars: The Old Republic. I haven't played since... 2011? A long time, anyway.

My account still seems to exist but is inaccessible:

I have no security key and the form instructs me to leave it blank - until I try to submit a new password when it tells me a key is required.

OK, back to WoW I guess. :lol: :doh:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:33 am I was excited for Torchlight III when they were hyping the broader MMO-lite aspects earlier in development. But like the others, all I've heard recently is that it still has the negative attributes of a F2P game even they converted back to a paid title, and I've seen a lot of comments that it feels like a mobile game. I'd love to discover that's not true.
The post-launch reviews I've watched are a lot more even-handed. They're very critical of the game's current lack of depth, but praise its unconventional classes and the gameplay looks like a lot of fun. The skill system also looks interesting, though may lack balance. I'm too busy for this one right now, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying it down the road.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So I'm playing Xcom2 and I'm the "commander"yet some smart mouthed underling is telling me what to do all the time.
How come I can't sack him and demote him back to the peasants?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:29 pm So I'm playing Xcom2 and I'm the "commander"yet some smart mouthed underling is telling me what to do all the time.
How come I can't sack him and demote him back to the peasants?
Office politics :tjg:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Help! I've subbed to WoW and want to play it, but Diablo 2 keeps calling me back.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm Enlarge Image

Help! I've subbed to WoW and want to play it, but Diablo 2 keeps calling me back.
Actually I remember hunting for chipped gems. There was some kind of Horadric Cube recipe where you had a (small) chance of creating an epic sword.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They're used for crafting mid-tier runes as well, but Path of Diablo removes the need for gems in those recipes.

I just get annoyed when I miss my chance for a free perfect gem. But it's not like I'm hurting for those after playing a couple of characters.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

attempting to build a top-of-the-line-in-1996 PC in 2020

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've long considered trying to build a high-end 1999 or 2000 PC. The point at which having a 3d card went from an option to required. I've never had the space for an extra PC, though. And to be honest, GoG has made it less and less necessary, especially with the 3dfx exclusive titles that are now available through them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 amGoG has made it less and less necessary
I agree. I've picked up a number of titles from the site and have had nothing but good luck with them. I sometimes grab an antiquated title that goes on a deep sale just to have it, despite having a binder somewhere in my closet with the discs for the game still in there.

I don't think you could pay me to try and set up an machine running Windows 95c or 98SE anymore. Both operating systems started to immediately fall apart after being installed. It was pretty routine to wipe and reinstall the OS after about 6 months when too many things had stopped working. I do not miss those "good old days" at all.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Although to be fair, most Win98 machines (which my hypothetical machine would have) wouldn't be used the same way they were in '99. There'd be no internet, no browsing, no office work, no utilities, no antivirus, no Windows updates. The drivers would be a one-and-done 'most stable' rather than updating them all the time. Sure, it would still need periodic refreshes, but it might be once every few years instead of every 6-12 months.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 amGoG has made it less and less necessary
I agree. I've picked up a number of titles from the site and have had nothing but good luck with them.
Interstate 76 was my one real effort on that front and I never got it running properly. It's one of very few games that calls to me for nostalgia reasons as there hasn't really been anything quite like it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:23 am
Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 am
I agree. I've picked up a number of titles from the site and have had nothing but good luck with them.
Interstate 76 was my one real effort on that front and I never got it running properly. It's one of very few games that calls to me for nostalgia reasons as there hasn't really been anything quite like it.
That's weird. When I check the page it says the required OS is Windows XP or Vista. GOG generally does an excellent job of keeping games compatible with the most current version of Windows, even if it means running it on a DOS emulator. My best guess is that the game must have some very specific requirements.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did see this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:59 am I did see this.
That's useful. Reading through it, it looks like it would take longer to get it working than I would likely play it. I still might try it just for a reminder why I don't generally let nostalgia win.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think it was late 95 or early 96 I got a Diamond Stealth S3 Virge 3d card. Lets just say it wasn't the greatest. So a few months later I added a Diamond Monster 3dfx VooDoo. Think it came with a 3d copy of Mechwarrior 2. Anyways that combo was great.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Interstate '76 is my second favorite game of all time with the first being Privateer.

A couple years back I played a couple hours of each to try to recapture the magic I originally felt when playing them.

Nostalgia can be a funny thing. I still rank them as my top two favorite games of all time but I don't think I'll ever replay them again.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:32 amNostalgia can be a funny thing. I still rank them as my top two favorite games of all time but I don't think I'll ever replay them again.
When you look up your first girlfriend on FaceBook and leave without posting "Hey, what's up?"
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Brian wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:32 am Interstate '76 is my second favorite game of all time with the first being Privateer.

A couple years back I played a couple hours of each to try to recapture the magic I originally felt when playing them.

Nostalgia can be a funny thing. I still rank them as my top two favorite games of all time but I don't think I'll ever replay them again.
Yeah my #1 is Jagged Alliance 2. I played through so many times, but I can't do it any more. Too many QoL issues. Besides, other than the humor XCOM 2 hits the spot pretty well.

For Interstate 76, nothing else I've seen really fits in the same space. Mad Max has the car based combat part, but it's just not the same.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Crusader: No Remorse is one of my all time favorites, but remembering that Gravis Gamepad control scheme... ughhhh

whereas i do boot up Serious Sam TFE and TSE every now and again and it still holds up in a way that Doom does not (also doesn't hurt it's now available in what are essentially classic [original], classic+ [Fusion], remade, and remade-with-VR editions)

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 am I've long considered trying to build a high-end 1999 or 2000 PC. The point at which having a 3d card went from an option to required. I've never had the space for an extra PC, though. And to be honest, GoG has made it less and less necessary, especially with the 3dfx exclusive titles that are now available through them.
2000 is when i got the original Geforce, the 256. i built that machine specifically to run Max Payne... and being really disappointed with the game itself.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I was just thinking earlier this week that Interstate 76 could probably use a remake. Make it cel-shaded.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:19 pm
2000 is when i got the original Geforce, the 256. i built that machine specifically to run Max Payne... and being really disappointed with the game itself.
That surprises me. The original Max Payne is still one of my favorites. I think I finished it three or four times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I finished it 2 or 3 times. Im considering a replay of 1 & 2. Also loved i76. Finished it. Was a tough game. online with friends we'd wreck each other so much the car would die and be really hard to restart then vroooom and you were off again.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Nostalgia has kicked in and I had to look up one of my favorite scenes from I'76

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have i76, nitro, and 82 on my GOG account, but I can't get past the button mapping.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sure would be nice if Steam had a library filter for games Ive played an hour or less of. Some games I play a bit of and decie to save them for another time but then I totally forget about them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:38 pm Sure would be nice if Steam had a library filter for games Ive played an hour or less of. Some games I play a bit of and decie to save them for another time but then I totally forget about them.
Order by play time