Watch Dogs: Legion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by Max Peck »

It's Brexit-fixing time.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn it, there goes the neighborhood :cry:

I was really, really hoping for something not quite as violent and depressing as the first game, but not as new wave, punk, grunge as the second. Maybe a bit of a mix. What it looks like we're getting is Homefront: The Revolution with some The Division and enough Cyberpunk 2077 to steal away some sales from that game. As if it could :wink:. And being able to play "any NPC"? Eh. Oh, and I see some Saints Row IV and HITMAN thrown in too. What a mess.

I'll probably end up buying it on release day anyway :grund:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I stumbled across a pair of good articles at IGN tonight.

Watch Dogs Legion is Ubisoft's Most Insanely Ambitious Game - E3 2019
Watch Dogs Legion, Ubisoft’s third game in its hacktivist open-word series, asks a lot of questions. Just how far are we willing to let authoritarianism and corporate greed dictate the course of society? What are the consequences of under-funded public services? What happens when ordinary people make a stand? Its most fascinating question, though, is what if every non-playable character was playable?

I recently visited Ubisoft Toronto to meet with the Watch Dogs Legion team and watch the game being played for 45 minutes. At first glance, Legion is what you would expect from the third game in the Watch Dogs series; there’s an open-world where you can drive cars, hack CCTV cameras, and play havoc with people's lives and smartphones. But there’s much, much more to Watch Dogs Legion. Underpinning the entire game is an interconnected network of systems that allow for an astonishing set of possibilities.
Watch Dogs Legion's Director on Brexit, Politics, and Ubisoft - E3 2019
Watch Dogs is inherently political; it’s a series that feeds on both fears and realities of corporations that have infiltrated our lives via technology. That stance is not about to change with Watch Dogs Legion. Despite Ubisoft’s hesitation to get involved in political debate around the releases of The Division 2 and Far Cry 5, the Watch Dogs Legion development team is producing a game that acts as a rallying cry against the world’s current problems of rising authoritarianism and economic strife.

I recently visited Ubisoft Toronto and spoke with Clint Hocking, the creative director of Watch Dogs Legion. Our conversation made it clear that Watch Dogs Legion has plenty to say about the world today, and it’s going to use real-life political touchstones - including Brexit - to ground its story and provide a starting point for its potential future nightmare.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The game may not be as full-on John Wick as the E3 reveal implied (unless you want it to be, of course).

Creative Director of Watch Dogs: Legion Isn’t Sure If You Can Complete the Game Non-Lethally
We really focused on having non-lethal weapons this time around so about half of the weapons are non-lethal and then we focused on making on a pretty robust melee system so if you don’t pull out guns, the enemies won’t pull out guns –in most cases.

We really wanted to make sure that non-lethal was an option in any combat encounter.

I’m not going to say it was a goal for us to say that players can beat the game without killing anyone –maybe you can, I actually don’t know. It’s not a goal for us; the goal was to make sure we have robust non-lethal options for players.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm The game may not be as full-on John Wick as the E3 reveal implied (unless you want it to be, of course).

Creative Director of Watch Dogs: Legion Isn’t Sure If You Can Complete the Game Non-Lethally
We really focused on having non-lethal weapons this time around so about half of the weapons are non-lethal and then we focused on making on a pretty robust melee system so if you don’t pull out guns, the enemies won’t pull out guns –in most cases.

We really wanted to make sure that non-lethal was an option in any combat encounter.

I’m not going to say it was a goal for us to say that players can beat the game without killing anyone –maybe you can, I actually don’t know. It’s not a goal for us; the goal was to make sure we have robust non-lethal options for players.
That's a bit of a pleasant surprise. Maybe I should get a little excited after all :horse:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I missed it live, but Ubisoft streamed some gameplay yesterday. Apparently they had a power outage, so the session is broken across 2 VODs.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've never gotten into streaming. Watching hours of people talking about or playing a game takes a poor second to actually playing a game myself. But thanks for the links anyway :wub:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One thing that is mentioned by the devs during the demo is that it is possible to attempt to recruit hostile NPCs as well the regular folks-on-the-street. Recruiting Albion security guards and employees to bring down the regime from the inside is definitely going on the bucket list.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The new release date is 29 Oct 2020.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:04 pm The new release date is 29 Oct 2020.
Well, at this is will be this year :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched the hands-on preview video from ACG and it looks cool enough. The concept is kind of crazy, but the interesting kind of crazy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pmI've never gotten into streaming. Watching hours of people talking about or playing a game takes a poor second to actually playing a game myself.
I know this comment is over a year old, but I'm in the same boat. My eldest kid loves to watch people play games. I don't get it. I prefer to spend that time playing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Time for some trailer videos. Actually some pretty clever stuff.

Watch Dogs: Legion: Resistance Trailer:

Watch Dogs: Legion: Gameplay Overview Trailer:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The specs have been announced: From PC Gamer, Watch Dogs Legion system requirements covers everything from low 1080p to 4K ultra and from PCGamesN, Watch Dogs Legion’s system requirements might send you CPU shopping

From the PC Gamer article:
Full credit to Ubisoft for covering the bases on what you can expect from different configurations:

1080p / Low Settings
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 / AMD Ryzen 5 1400
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 290X
VRAM: 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB
Storage Space: 45 GB
Operating System: Windows 10 (x64)

1080p / High Settings
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 / AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 480
VRAM: 6 GB
RAM: 8 GB (Dual-channel setup)

1440p / High Settings
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K / AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060S or AMD Radeon RX 5700
VRAM: 8GB
RAM: 16 GB (Dual-channel setup)

4K / Ultra Settings
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 3700K
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or AMD Radeon VII
VRAM: 11 GB
Storage Space: 45 GB (+ 20 GB HD Textures Pack)

Ray Tracing On - 1080p / High Settings
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
VRAM: 8 GB

Ray Tracing On - 4K / Ultra Settings
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
VRAM: 11 GB
Storage Space: 45GB (+20 GB HD Textures Pack)

Those are some fairly beefy specs, I think: My own rig (which, I have to admit, is getting rather long in the tooth) will definitely fall on the low side of the 1080 scale on this one. Fortunately, PC players will be able to fiddle with a number of customization options in order to strike whatever balance they prefer between graphical quality and performance. For those with the hardware to handle it, the PC version will also feature support for multi-monitor setups, DLSS 2.0, Tobii eye tracking, and MSI Mystic Light integration and voice command features.

In case you hadn't heard, Ubisoft announced last week that Watch Dogs Legion will feature appearances by award-winning British rapper Stormzy and, in post-launch content, OG Watch Dogs psycho killer Aiden Pearce. It comes out on October 28.
My rig is an i7 4770K, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB, so I should be good for the 1080p high settings, although I run at 1920x1200.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Please God let this series die already.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pmPlease God let this series die already.
I liked the first one and enjoyed the second one even more, though I felt the murderous rampages you went on in the second one kind of went against the "freedom, hacking, fighting the man" vibe it wanted to show off.

It's rare for me to get into a mood for this kind of game, though, so I can't say I'm in on this until it hits a big sale years down the road.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive tried the first one about 6 times. Never get far before I delete it. Not sure why but it just doesn't click even though it should. Have zero interest in the 2nd or this one. Both because I cant enjoy the first and those seem run by some kinda young street punks I cant identify with. When I see trailers for 2 and 3 I just want to punch my screen. Kill kill kill.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's been a minute, but based on what I saw a while back in Legion you can recruit and play as basically anyone you see. If you want the revolution to be a bunch of old farts, make it so!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

WD2 is free today on Epic - two things for Daehawk to avoid :)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I think I got 2 for free from Ubisoft a few months ago.
But I'll grab it off Epic because.......free.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First of all, a new story trailer!

With the game less than a month away, and since with my Uplay+ subscription I'm getting it upon release :D, here's a couple articles of interest:

Why I keep getting arrested in Watch Dogs Legion
Aside from throwing punches and meeting potential recruits, I spent much of my time with Watch Dogs Legion sneaking around and hacking things, in an attempt to uncover evidence from the bombings that plunged London into a full-blown surveillance state. Exploring London – and this is bona fide London town, make no mistake – is a joy on its own, but Ubisoft’s cheeky humour keeps you bobbing along from mission to mission, balancing out the harrowing sight of Londoners unjustly detained.
Glad to hear that London is represented reasonably well, this was an appeal for me in the first two games, set in Chicago and San Francisco.

Watch Dogs Legion DLC has a playable, modern day Assassin’s Creed assassin
Watch Dogs Legion launches at the end of this month – that one kinda snuck up, didn’t it? – and Ubisoft is lifting the veil on what’s coming to the game post-launch. Naturally, there’s a load of both free and paid content on the way, and the season pass will include something to spark the collective imaginations of long-time Assassin’s Creed fans: a playable, modern-day assassin.

Darcy is a member of the Assassin order, and will be playable as part of the Bloodline story DLC. Alongside Darcy, the DLC also introduces three other playable characters: Aiden Pearce, the ‘iconic’ dingus who starred in the first Watch Dogs, Wrench, from Watch Dogs 2, and Mina, an original character who was subjected to transhuman experiments and can now mind control NPCs.

I'm not really that excited about the co-op and PvP modes, they are not my thing, but they are bringing back Invasion online gameplay which was very cool in Watch Dogs 2:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This is a no brainer for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Ubisoft, Watch Dogs: Legion PC Specs Revealed. This info was previously released by PC Gamer (posted above) but this is the latest dope and can be considered official I guess.
The Watch Dogs: Legion team has released the PC specs for the game ahead of its launch on October 29. Below you’ll find options for 1080p low, 1080p high, 1440p high, and 4K ultra settings. And if you want to see every bit of eye-popping detail from the game’s depiction of neon-clad, near-future London, there are also two separate categories specifically supporting NVIDIA’s line of GeForce RTX graphics cards.
Spoiler:
Ray Tracing Disabled

Minimum System Requirements for 1920x1080, Low Preset, DX12

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz, AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz
** GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/GeForce GTX 1650
Video memory: 4GB
RAM: 8GB (Dual-channel setup)
Hard Disk Space: (45GB)

Recommended System Requirements for 1920x1080, High Preset, DX12

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060/GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Video memory: 6GB
RAM: 8GB (Dual-channel setup)

Recommended System Requirements for 2560x1440, High Preset, DX12

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Video memory: 8GB
RAM: 16GB (Dual-channel setup)

Ultra-System Requirement - 3840x2160 (4K), Ultra Preset DX12

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or GeForce RTX 3080
Video memory: 10GB
Hard Disk Space: 45GB (+20 GB HD Texture Pack)

(For optimal experience use DX12, also compatible with "DX11")

Ray Tracing Enabled

Minimum System Requirements - 1920x1080, High preset, Ray Tracing Medium, DLSS Quality, DX12 only

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Video memory: 6GB

Recommended System Requirements - 2560x1440 (1440p), Very High preset, Ray Tracing High, DLSS Quality, DX12 only

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Video memory: 8GB

Ultra-System Requirement - 3840x2160 (4K), Ultra preset, Ray Tracing Ultra, DLSS Performance, DX12 only

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Video memory: 10 GB
Hard Disk Space: 45GB (+20 GB HD Texture Pack)
More info is in this graphic:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hmm, I'm not sure if this video has been promulgated before, so I'll post it. Apologies if it is old hat to some of you.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If you have a Ubisoft account, Ubisoft and Nvidia are having a contest to give away free stuff, see the page. You click a spinner and it lands on a prize, or in my case, no prize but a 15% discount on any purchase.

Note that the contest spinner didn't show up on my Firefox browser so I used Microsoft Edge instead, where it did work. No forms to fill out, you just have to be logged onto the Ubisoft store to spin.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They managed to make it complicated enough that it won't work on any of the browsers I tried (Firefox, Edge, Chrome). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm They managed to make it complicated enough that it won't work on any of the browsers I tried (Firefox, Edge, Chrome). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Huh, Edge didn't work for you? I did get it to work for me, but my Edge installation is virgin, no extensions or add-ons, since I never use it :wink:. I'll keep an eye out in case Ubisoft reissues the contest on a page that can be accessed by a wider variety of browsers, like Netscape Navigator :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm They managed to make it complicated enough that it won't work on any of the browsers I tried (Firefox, Edge, Chrome). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I just tried it again and this time it worked under Firefox, so it might be worth giving it another try.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I missed this article from the WDL forum that was posted back in August, [Q&A] AMA on r/Watch_Dogs with Clint Hocking Creative Director of Watch Dogs: Legion . It's from an "Ask Me Anything" posted over on the reddit/Watch Dogs Legion site. It's quite information not only on game details but also on some of the thinking that went into the design of the game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:32 am
I just tried it again and this time it worked under Firefox, so it might be worth giving it another try.
It still doesn't work for me. I found the equivalent page on Ubisoft's Canadian site, but when I click on the Enter link, I get bounced past the spin-the-wheel page to the Canadian storefront login page (despite being logged in) and end up on a blank page. It happens every time on all three desktop browsers with no security extensions, as well as the Chrome browser on my phone, so it just seems to be broken for me.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Don't sweat it too much. Odds are pretty high you end up with a mostly worthless coupon. 15% off crap that you could get 20% off with points. It doesn't work on pre-orders (in the US anyway).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, but on the other hand a one-in-a-billion chance of winning a RTX 3080 would have still been a better odds than I have of finding one to buy at MSRP any time soon. :lol:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Send jzt your credentials and he can spin for you! :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another good video:

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We learned two things today: Griefers will ruin your co-op experience, and I'm probably not going to join in on that.

It may not be as bad as all that. Hard to say at this time.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 am We learned two things today: Griefers will ruin your co-op experience, and I'm probably not going to join in on that.

It may not be as bad as all that. Hard to say at this time.
In most games supporting co-op you can control if you let randos in. I will note that my 14yo son is sometimes a griefer when we play co-op but you gotta get your laughs where you can.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hey look a sale on a bunch of games I already paid full price for! Also might want to note that's an xbox.com sale. I was confused for a minute.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter