SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never head of this Kraken feller. You sure he's not a bot?........oh wait never mind.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have you seen the moon tonight? Mars is shining big and red beside it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:36 pm Have you seen the moon tonight? Mars is shining big and red beside it.
Very cool. Even cooler here where the AQI is 140 and everything has that reddish hue as if we were on Mars. Seriously, I've seen less-red penumbral eclipses in the past.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:55 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:36 pm Have you seen the moon tonight? Mars is shining big and red beside it.
Very cool. Even cooler here where the AQI is 140 and everything has that reddish hue as if we were on Mars. Seriously, I've seen less-red penumbral eclipses in the past.
I really wanted to see that, but it would have entailed going outside and walking around. Plus my eyesight is deteriorating badly against monochromatic backgrounds, such as the sky.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Make Earth great again: Scientists identify 24 super-habitable planets.
Earth is not necessarily the best planet in the universe. Researchers have identified two dozen planets outside our solar system that may have conditions more suitable for life than our own. Some of these orbit stars that may be better than even our sun.

A study led by Washington State University scientist Dirk Schulze-Makuch recently published in the journal Astrobiology details characteristics of potential “superhabitable” planets, that include those that are older, a little larger, slightly warmer and possibly wetter than Earth. Life could also more easily thrive on planets that circle more slowly changing stars with longer lifespans than our sun.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Was reading this article on black holes and read this:
For instance, in 2018, astronomers announced the first direct image of the aftermath of a star being shredded by a black hole 20 million times more massive than our Sun, in a pair of colliding galaxies called Arp 299 about 150 million light years from Earth. They used a combination of radio and infrared telescopes, including the Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA), to follow a particular formation and expansion of the jet of matter ejected in the wake of a star being shredded by a supermassive black hole at the center of one of the colliding galaxies.

However, these powerful bursts of light are often shrouded behind a curtain of interstellar dust and debris, making it difficult for astronomers to study them in greater detail. This latest event (dubbed AT 2019qiz) was discovered shortly after the star had been shredded last year, making it easier to study in detail, before that curtain of dust and debris had fully formed. Astronomers conducted follow-up observations across the electromagnetic spectrum over the next six months, using multiple telescopes around the world, including the Very Large Telescope (VLT) array and the New Technology Telescope (NTT), both located in Chile.
It's just kind of mind blowing that this thing happened 150 million years ago and we just happened to be looking in the right place for 6 months and got to see it form. It's always so cool when that happens.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Did we already talk about Mars being bright this week? Tomorrow (Oct 13) it will be bright because it's at opposition, but this year's Mars opposition will be the brightest one until 2035.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:02 pm Did we already talk about Mars being bright this week? Tomorrow (Oct 13) it will be bright because it's at opposition, but this year's Mars opposition will be the brightest one until 2035.
I was just outside giving it a look. Very bright, very reddish.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And wow, what's this? a SECOND chance within a month for a god to prove he exists?

I would have deified RBG had everyone that caught Covid at the replacement event died, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Nice try, Ruthy, you're still an epic hero, just one without demonstrable godly powers.

But now there's this, brought to us by another heroic acronym, NDT. It's 2020, so we can be pretty confident this is going to happen. Location is everything though...
Last edited by Jeff V on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

raydude wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:55 pm The OSIRIS-REx mission I work on is all set to TAG the Bennu asteroid tomorrow, and you can watch it live.
To what degree is the schedule set in stone or flexible? I know there's an 18-minute comm delay so the actual snatch-n-grab will be internal, but will the preliminary maneuvering be like, Fire a thruster...wait 36 minutes for results...fire another thruster...etc.? Just wondering if I can plan on that 6:12 p.m. climax really happening within minutes of that time, or if it could be off by hours.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From what I understand the approach is automated so there shouldn't be a delay. After the sample grab and ascent the ground team will assess if there is a good sample or whether they will go back for another attempt.

You should catch NOVA on PBS on Wednesday as they will cover the history of the mission along with a wrap-up of the actual touch and go.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The tiny little nudge causes it to smack Earth instead of being nowhere near it in 120 years :)

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 pm From what I understand the approach is automated so there shouldn't be a delay. After the sample grab and ascent the ground team will assess if there is a good sample or whether they will go back for another attempt.

You should catch NOVA on PBS on Wednesday as they will cover the history of the mission along with a wrap-up of the actual touch and go.
Cool, thx. 6:12 is prime time in my Making Dinner window, and tomorrow I have the uncertainty of trying a new recipe. I can watch live if the touch-and-go falls between putting it in the oven and taking it out. Wife beats me if her dinner is late. :oops:

Now I need to see if anyone on YouTube TV has the NASA channel.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:09 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 pm From what I understand the approach is automated so there shouldn't be a delay. After the sample grab and ascent the ground team will assess if there is a good sample or whether they will go back for another attempt.

Cool, thx. 6:12 is prime time in my Making Dinner window, and tomorrow I have the uncertainty of trying a new recipe. I can watch live if the touch-and-go falls between putting it in the oven and taking it out. Wife beats me if her dinner is late. :oops:

Now I need to see if anyone on YouTube TV has the NASA channel.
The mission folks have a livestream channel on their website. And then there is the NASA TV feed, coverage starts there at 5pm EDT.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Yup, it's automated. The team did two rehearsals with the spacecraft, in April and August, commanding it to do automated maneuvers bringing it closer to, but not touching the TAG site, then analyzed the imagery and tracking data to see how the flight software behaved. Both rehearsals were a success, which brings us to today's collection attempt.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 pm The tiny little nudge causes it to smack Earth instead of being nowhere near it in 120 years :)

Enlarge Image
Touching the asteroid with enough force to knock it off its trajectory would probably break the collection arm, given Bennu's mass is 78 billion kg and OSIRIS-REx is only 2110 kg.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New article from Space.com, NASA's OSIRIS-REx will play 'tag' with asteroid Bennu to collect samples today. But will it succeed?

From the article:
After more than a year of carefully mapping asteroid Bennu, a NASA spacecraft will attempt an historic "touch and go" to nab a precious sample of dirt to return to Earth. But we won't know if it fully succeeded for another 10 days, NASA officials said in a news conference on Monday (Oct. 19).

The OSIRIS-REx (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer) spacecraft will start its descent today (Oct. 20), and you can watch it live here on Space.com, courtesy of NASA Television. Since it takes about 18 minutes for signals to travel between the spacecraft and mission controllers on Earth, all maneuvers are programmed ahead of time and the spacecraft will be transmitting information as it goes along.

Early images from the asteroid will hint at whether the scoop succeeded, but it will only be by comparing the spacecraft's mass before and after the maneuver that engineers will finally know how much asteroid dirt is inside OSIRIS-REx. The maneuvers and analysis will take roughly 10 days, meaning the spacecraft's outcome won't be known until at least late October.
Around 1:50 p.m EDT (1950 GMT) on landing day today (Tuesday, Oct. 20), controllers should receive telemetry from Bennu showing that the spacecraft departed from orbit. OSIRIS-REx will carefully maneuver twice more in two burns to get properly positioned for the surface and also, to verify it is on the right track to pluck a scoop of regolith.

A "checkpoint" burn will transmit information back to Earth around 5:50 p.m. EDT (2250 GMT), when the spacecraft is roughly 160 feet (50 meters) above the surface. Ten minutes later, OSIRIS-REx will transmit information from its third and final "matchpoint" burn that it will set it up for soft contact on the surface at 6:12 p.m. EDT (2312 GMT).
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That is so cool.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The livestream of the animation of the mission is now available: https://www.asteroidmission.org/livestream/

raydude

Post by raydude »

As an aside, part of my job was generating the data products that went into creating the global shape model that you see in the simulation, as well as creating data products used by the team for Natural Feature Tracking (NFT).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Dont forget NASA live tv. At 4:14 there is a hand off ceremony for the station then at 5pm is OSIRIS-REx main event. Try to watch as you will. This stuff may seem routine but it never is. People got tired of moon landings it seems and since then we've took it all for granted. This is neat stuff folks.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Cool video on how the APL developed Small Body Mapping Tool (SBMT) and the OLA instrument were used to help generate the 3D maps used in determining the sample site.

My other job was to process data from OLA and generate products used to create shape models that then fed into the SBMT.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 pm Image
MOVE SOLAR ARRAYS TO Y-WING
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats no moon.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:26 pm As an aside, part of my job was generating the data products that went into creating the global shape model that you see in the simulation, as well as creating data products used by the team for Natural Feature Tracking (NFT).
Very cool! Are you involved in any planned future missions?
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm
raydude wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:26 pm As an aside, part of my job was generating the data products that went into creating the global shape model that you see in the simulation, as well as creating data products used by the team for Natural Feature Tracking (NFT).
Very cool! Are you involved in any planned future missions?
I'm currently on a mission that launches next summer: DART: Double Asteroid Redirection Test. I'm working on the software pipeline that will generate products from the DRACO camera and also archive products from the LICIACube cubesat that will be riding along and taking pictures of spacecraft and impact site before and after impact.

Of the folks in the article, Elena Adams is pretty cool - she keeps us on track and she doesn't take guff from anyone. Not even from the Science Ops Center Lead, whom I work with. I worked with Andy Cheng and Zach Fletcher on two APL balloon missions several years ago. Andy is like your typical absent minded professor - really sharp, but sometimes loses track of what he was talking about. Zach is a cool nerd - he bought the HTC Vive when it first came out and he also rides a motorcycle. All in all, it's a pretty good group.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Watching the NASA Live stream on YouTube, I realize I didn’t really appreciate the complications of finding the right sample site. It makes the times I worked weekends really worth it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

NASA branded masks!?
raydude

Post by raydude »

The black masks with the triangle logo? That’s the O-Rex logo. The Project came up with that one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lucky. I like the little sync'd animation. Be neat to have a small model too.

So is this live broadcast taking into account the lag time or has all this happened and we just now get the info?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I think it is timed to coincide with the actual events. By the way, isn't it bothering anyone that there is a big green circle on the side of this asteroid? :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not seeing that. Im watching at the NASA link I posted. Is there a better place?

Also I thought this was out past Mars but looking online shows it between Earth and Mars and probably closer to us. Neat.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

What's the deal with the weird clear plastic masks some of them are wearing?

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm Im not seeing that. Im watching at the NASA link I posted. Is there a better place?
https://www.asteroidmission.org/livestream/ for the animation live stream.

By the way, those transparent face masks on NASA live look weird.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Congrats! Lots of work paid off for this half of the mission.

I wish I lived in a future when you could simply get in your personal ship and be at a place like Mars or Benno in a few seconds and if you wanted just beam down to it and walk around or whatever. For it to be so simple would be so amazing.

EDIT: I cant get your link to work. Maybe its overcrowded.

EDIT: Now it works.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Beautiful. Another triumph for robots. Looking forward to seeing the pictures tomorrow.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Wooohooooo! I still have a job!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope it took a pic of that green ring :)

Wow the closed captioning is so bad its funny. Not as bad as that time I turned CC on for a Scottish Twitch streamer.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:06 pm What's the deal with the weird clear plastic masks some of them are wearing?
Possibly to accommodate lip readers? That's the rationale for clear masks that I've seen in other places.