OneDrive madness - integration in Windows HELP!!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

OneDrive madness - integration in Windows HELP!!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I have researched this topic online for about 30 minutes, and only came across articles showing me how to uninstall or unlink OneDrive from Windows, which is not what I want to do.

The problem:
OneDrive not only has it's own "drive" showing on Windows Exlporer (just like Dropbox, which is fine), but it also is seemingly entangled in all my other folders! DO NOT WANT. I DO want to use the 15GB of space that I have with OneDrive, but I don't want it integrated so tightly into my Windows file directory.

Does anyone know of a way to disentangle it without removing it altogether? If you UNLINK it, you can't really use it like Dropbox.

Here's an image showing the problem as I see it. Not only is there a OneDrive drive/folder up there (again, that is fine), but if you click on the DOCUMENTS folder, which is NOT a subfolder under OneDrive, the address points to Onedrive!! WTF.

jztemple2

Re: OneDrive madness - integration in Windows HELP!!

Post by jztemple2 »

That's weird. I've been using OneDrive for several years and I've never noticed this behavior. I just checked on the properties of Documents and didn't see this. Now I did install OneDrive onto my D: drive to save room on my C: drive, maybe that would have an effect? Probably best to back everything up if you haven't already, just in case.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

https://superuser.com/questions/1071641 ... -view-tree - they reference a registry fix to the path, that seems to be pretty straightforward, as long as you can find the right key.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gilraen wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:28 pm https://superuser.com/questions/1071641 ... -view-tree - they reference a registry fix to the path, that seems to be pretty straightforward, as long as you can find the right key.
Wow, exactly the problem I am having, and they even have a similar screen shot with red and everything! The Internet knows EVERYTHING.

Thanks! Will try that. And I meant to add, it's not just the Documents folder that Onedrive has "infected" - same for other folders listed as well - PICTURES and DESKTOP both show the same weird path w/Onedrive at the end.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's a 1D feature to protect your desktop/pictures/documents folders. You can disable it in the settings somewhere without turning to registry hacking.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 am It's a 1D feature to protect your desktop/pictures/documents folders. You can disable it in the settings somewhere without turning to registry hacking.
What is "1D"? Knowing that might help me find the setting. Tks
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

OneDrive. :)