2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 am Reportedly Wisconsin's backup QB (technically 3rd string, since last year's starter is out due to surgery) has also tested positive. Sounding like they might cancel this weekend's game against Nebraska.

Interesting strategy...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Game canceled. Wisconsin has 12 positive tests and is shutting down football operations for 7 days.

The first positive apparently was on Saturday, the day after Illinois played at Wisconsin. (Well, Illinois was at the stadium, but whether there was legitimate competition is debatable ;) .) The Big Ten's protocol was supposedly designed to detect the virus before it became communicable - did it work? Will we see an outbreak on Illinois now? If so, would we be able to narrow it down to playing against Wisconsin vs. spending time in a major COVID hotspot?

This all seems to be going swimmingly.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:46 am Game canceled. Wisconsin has 12 positive tests and is shutting down football operations for 7 days.

The first positive apparently was on Saturday, the day after Illinois played at Wisconsin. (Well, Illinois was at the stadium, but whether there was legitimate competition is debatable ;) .) The Big Ten's protocol was supposedly designed to detect the virus before it became communicable - did it work? Will we see an outbreak on Illinois now? If so, would we be able to narrow it down to playing against Wisconsin vs. spending time in a major COVID hotspot?

This all seems to be going swimmingly.
Uh, Wisconsin *is* a major Covid hotspot...

Covid-19 test positivity rate in Wisconsin -- the Badgers just canceled their game at Nebraska -- is currently 28% (on 7 day avg). Highest rate in #Pac12 with 10 days until kickoff is Utah at 18%, followed by Az at 9%
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:18 pm Uh, Wisconsin *is* a major Covid hotspot...
Uh,

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Need more coffee! :grund:

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trevor Lawrence tests positive

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

So fn irresponsible to have these kids playing. Absolutely disgraceful. I've managed to not watch so much as a highlight from this year's season and I'm considering never going back.
Sometimes being the adult in the room means allowing children the room to fail and learn; sometimes it means protecting them from themselves.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah's opener against Arizona just got cancelled.

I honestly just cannot muster any interest in this "season" at all.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I keep trying to root for Imlawboy's Michigan but they suck??
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm not a big fan of this seasons happening during the pandemic, but it sure is nice to see my alma mater looking good and getting big wins for the first time in decades. Go Hoosiers!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Does Harbaugh make it through the season? What a mess.

It was amazing to watch ASU gack away their game against SC. Wish there was a way fir them both to lose.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

How did USC win that game?? I cut away, thinking they'd yet again lost their opening game.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lorini wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:54 pm How did USC win that game?? I cut away, thinking they'd yet again lost their opening game.
bobbled onside kick recovery
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:28 pm I keep trying to root for Imlawboy's Michigan but they suck??
It would certainly appear that way. Indiana isn't bad (although their signature wins are a fluky win against a possibly bad Penn State team and a likely bad Michigan team), but MSU beat us pretty soundly in between losing to Rutgers and getting housed by an 0-2 Iowa team.
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:37 pm Does Harbaugh make it through the season? What a mess.
I suspect he doesn't get canned during the season (although if we lose to Rutgers . . . .), but I think there will be a shake up shortly after OSU hits triple digits in The Game. Whether that's the entire staff or just Don Brown (defensive coordinator who runs a press man defense but hasn't recruited a press man corner in 3 years) or somewhere in between, something needs to change. I don't think the defense's fall is very surprising given the recruiting issues there, but the offense is a mystery at this point. Why won't they run the QB? He's fast, 6'4" 245lbs., and he's done good in limited runs in the past. I get that there are O-line issues both in terms of injury and experience, but we don't seem to be making adjustments to try to address the issues.

Whether Harbaugh goes or not likely depends on how the rest of the year goes. He's got a little leeway due to the insanity of 2020/COVID, but things don't seem to be headed in the right direction.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This week's SEC Schedule looks like:
- No #LSU-Alabama
- No Texas A&M-Tennessee
- No Mississippi State-Auburn
- No Georgia-Missouri

SEC games remaining:
- Kentucky-Vandy
- Ole Miss-South Carolina
- Florida-Arkansas (sans HC Sam Pittman)

What the heck are we even doing anymore? :grund:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Yeah, that's crazy. Maybe the season should take a 2 week or more break. Cases are peaking.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:31 pm This week's SEC Schedule looks like:
- No #LSU-Alabama
- No Texas A&M-Tennessee
- No Mississippi State-Auburn
- No Georgia-Missouri

SEC games remaining:
- Kentucky-Vandy
- Ole Miss-South Carolina
- Florida-Arkansas (sans HC Sam Pittman)

What the heck are we even doing anymore? :grund:
The Trump Know-Nothing, Do Nothing Herd Immunity plan announced in June/July, of course.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Add another one: Ohio State/Maryland is canceled as Maryland shuts down football activities.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Torfish wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:46 pm Yeah, that's crazy. Maybe the season should take a 2 week or more break. Cases are peaking.
Yeah, that's crazy. Maybe the season should take a 2 week or more break. Cases are rising at their highest rates so far.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah/UCLA just got cancelled. We're now 0-2 on season openers.

What a shitshow.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I just can't get into this season. It's the only sport I still care about and I just... don't care this year. I hope I can get the interest back next year.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:16 pm Add another one: Ohio State/Maryland is canceled as Maryland shuts down football activities.
Your team is sucking again. When does it get good? :shock:
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Read today that Utah and Cal are now the only D1 teams that have not yet played a game (from conferences that are playing). So that’s fun. :(

I’d actually be a little surprised if next week’s game against USC happens either, based on what I’ve heard about how COVID is ripping through the team.

Edit: Cal has now played, so we’re now the only ones who haven’t.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lubbock is in the national news for horrible response to the pandemic, and yet Texas Tech hasn't missed a game. :think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

2020 strategery.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan's football and hockey teams each tallied 11 points over the weekend.

Needless to say, that went significantly better for the hockey team.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Michigan's hockey team is absolutely stacked this year. Probably the best sports team in the entire state at the moment (maybe UofM or MSU has a good hoops team, I wouldn't know).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Both basketball teams were ranked in the initial polls, but I think you're right that Michigan hockey is probably the best (if they play to potential, of course).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LOL on Chip Kelly's take on TV trying to re-schedule the UCLA-Oregon game to Saturday!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good thing we only have the equivalent of 4 scrimmage games this year.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So it looks like Michigan is basically Rutgers this year. I guess if they're going to be worse than irrelevant, this is the year to do it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
disarm

Post by disarm »

Indiana came so close to taking down OSU yesterday. The offense made a few critical mistakes that kept them from pulling off the upset, but they definitely highlighted a few of the Buckeyes' weaknesses in the process. It seems like the OSU line didn't have a good answer for the persistent blitzing, and Fields made some big mistakes when under pressure. They also didn't seem able to keep up with the IU offense flying down the field for big pass plays, allowing more 50+ yard pass completions in this one game than the entirety of last season. OSU is a good team, but they're clearly not invincible.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm So it looks like Michigan is basically Rutgers this year. I guess if they're going to be worse than irrelevant, this is the year to do it.
Haven't you heard? With McNamara at QB, that'll totally turn things around. I hear we might even make the playoffs.
disarm wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm OSU is a good team, but they're clearly not invincible.
They're still gonna hang 70+ on Michigan (unless McNamara also plays a phenomenal CB/DE).
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

See that's the thing. A dear friend of mine is a big time OSU fan and would probably not speak to me for a month if he knew I was rooting for Michigan :) But I've always liked the schools in the Big Ten and I like Imlawboy as well, so I thought I'd sneak a couple of games in :).
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

disarm wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm Indiana came so close to taking down OSU yesterday. The offense made a few critical mistakes that kept them from pulling off the upset, but they definitely highlighted a few of the Buckeyes' weaknesses in the process. It seems like the OSU line didn't have a good answer for the persistent blitzing, and Fields made some big mistakes when under pressure. They also didn't seem able to keep up with the IU offense flying down the field for big pass plays, allowing more 50+ yard pass completions in this one game than the entirety of last season. OSU is a good team, but they're clearly not invincible.
Taking down? Not so sure about that. tOSU never trailed and led by 28 at one point. More like you had a chance, which is better than most IU squads vs tOSU.

Penix, the defense and the entire team played great, but were still overmatched. This year.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm See that's the thing. A dear friend of mine is a big time OSU fan and would probably not speak to me for a month if he knew I was rooting for Michigan :) But I've always liked the schools in the Big Ten and I like Imlawboy as well, so I thought I'd sneak a couple of games in :).
I appreciate your support, but you sure picked a lousy year to follow Michigan! :P
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm See that's the thing. A dear friend of mine is a big time OSU fan and would probably not speak to me for a month if he knew I was rooting for Michigan :) But I've always liked the schools in the Big Ten and I like Imlawboy as well, so I thought I'd sneak a couple of games in :).
I appreciate your support, but you sure picked a lousy year to follow Michigan! :P
True dat. I have been watching all the games but turned off Wisconsin just after half time and nearly turned off Rutgers, RUTGERS!, because we were so out played. It seemed like every run ended with the Michigan runners moving backward from a hit and the Rutgers runners moving forward dragging a defender. Thats just desire and drive.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Confirmed today that Utah's new QB that we were all super-excited about lasted a total of 2 series into his first game before destroying his shoulder and requiring season-ending surgery.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Remus West wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:41 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm
True dat. I have been watching all the games but turned off Wisconsin just after half time and nearly turned off Rutgers, RUTGERS!, because we were so out played. It seemed like every run ended with the Michigan runners moving backward from a hit and the Rutgers runners moving forward dragging a defender. Thats just desire and drive.
Because politics make for the best NCAA insults!

Biden’s won in Michigan so many times he’s legally required to change his name to Ohio State.