[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:42 pm The way the news talks the hype up and with cold weather and the flu incoming Im starting to wonder if there will be another run on toilet paper. Thinking I may need to stock up on toilet paper, paper towels, and hand sanitizer while I can instead of being caught without any. I mean Lysol hasn't been on shelves in my area all summer. The shelves are still bare where it should sit.
I've been maintaining the stockpiles that I built up in the spring. Whenever I use canned, dried, or paper goods from my hoard, I replace them, and I'll keep doing that until the pandemic is over. I estimate that I've got three months' worth of TP.

Supply chains are generally much more robust now than they were then, but still subject to disruption and potentially even collapse. They're only as strong as the producers, stevedores, teamsters, and retailers who work them. The winter wave is just getting started and we don't know how bad it will be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found this surprising yet not surprising. It surprises me the White House is actually telling a red state to mandate masks NOW. But doesn't surprise me that our idiot Governor is ignoring them and common sense.

White House: Tennessee mask mandate 'must be implemented'
The White House quietly told Tennessee early this week that “a statewide mask mandate must be implemented" to curb its growing spread of COVID-19, strong instructions that the White House and governor did not discuss publicly before the report emerged in a records request.

The Oct. 11 state report for Tennessee, where Republican Gov. Bill Lee has let counties decide whether to require masks in public, first came to light in a records request by WUOT-FM. The Associated Press obtained the report from the Knox County Health Department afterward.

"A statewide mask mandate must be implemented to stop the increasing spread among residents in rural and urban areas of Tennessee," the item in a list of recommendations states.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said he was not in favor of mask mandates, but the recommendations of the task force and public health agencies, like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have often been at odds with the White House's rhetoric.

The report takes the strongest tone to date in urging Tennessee to act, though Lee has made it clear for months that he did not think masks should be required across the state. Lee, who has urged people to wear masks, continued to advise against a statewide mandate Friday in an online news conference, in which he didn't mention the White House's instruction a few days earlier.

“Statewide, one-size-fits-all mandates are not as effective in many cases as local decision making,” Lee said.

In a statement late Friday, the governor's office said the White House report had not altered his thinking.

“The governor has strongly encouraged Tennesseans to make responsible decisions to protect themselves and others from COVID-19, including wearing masks in public, avoiding large gatherings, and staying home when sick," the statement said. “The governor’s view has not changed based upon non-binding recommendations from the federal government. Previous White House reports dating back to the summer have included similar recommendations, so the inclusion here is not novel."

Earlier in the week, the governor and his health commissioner downplayed the importance of releasing those White House “red zone” reports. They aren't regularly released publicly, but the governor's office has produced them when requested by The Associated Press.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't touched my stockpile. I put back one extra roll of paper towels and one of TP back before the shortages hit (thanks for the warning, Smoove!), then bumped that up to three and three once it wasn't in short supply anymore. I still have a significant amount of food put back, plus three days of water.

Oh, and I know some others were putting back water in case of a utility disruption. It's been six months+. Don't forget to swap it out!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:07 pm I found this surprising yet not surprising. It surprises me the White House is actually telling a red state to mandate masks NOW. But doesn't surprise me that our idiot Governor is ignoring them and common sense.

White House: Tennessee mask mandate 'must be implemented'
The White House quietly told Tennessee early this week that “a statewide mask mandate must be implemented" to curb its growing spread of COVID-19, strong instructions that the White House and governor did not discuss publicly before the report emerged in a records request.

The Oct. 11 state report for Tennessee, where Republican Gov. Bill Lee has let counties decide whether to require masks in public, first came to light in a records request by WUOT-FM. The Associated Press obtained the report from the Knox County Health Department afterward.

"A statewide mask mandate must be implemented to stop the increasing spread among residents in rural and urban areas of Tennessee," the item in a list of recommendations states.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said he was not in favor of mask mandates, but the recommendations of the task force and public health agencies, like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have often been at odds with the White House's rhetoric.

The report takes the strongest tone to date in urging Tennessee to act, though Lee has made it clear for months that he did not think masks should be required across the state. Lee, who has urged people to wear masks, continued to advise against a statewide mandate Friday in an online news conference, in which he didn't mention the White House's instruction a few days earlier.

“Statewide, one-size-fits-all mandates are not as effective in many cases as local decision making,” Lee said.

In a statement late Friday, the governor's office said the White House report had not altered his thinking.

“The governor has strongly encouraged Tennesseans to make responsible decisions to protect themselves and others from COVID-19, including wearing masks in public, avoiding large gatherings, and staying home when sick," the statement said. “The governor’s view has not changed based upon non-binding recommendations from the federal government. Previous White House reports dating back to the summer have included similar recommendations, so the inclusion here is not novel."

Earlier in the week, the governor and his health commissioner downplayed the importance of releasing those White House “red zone” reports. They aren't regularly released publicly, but the governor's office has produced them when requested by The Associated Press.
TN is now #9 of total cases in the country, i am sorry.

i've been using WA state as a measure - we've dropped to #27 of total cases. Mississippi, Iowa and Oklahoma recently surpassed us, Arkansas will do so by the end of this weekend, and now freakin _Utah_ is coming up fast...

(also been viewing Nevada and Colorado as the 'mid-way point' these other states are zooming past to the upper echelons - they're holding steady at #30 and #32)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think after getting COVID that Trump is worried all his voters in TN will die off before election day.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just a reminder, m asks do not protect the wearer, it protects others should you be infected. While cute, that Klingon clip does not apply, it has it backwards. The beligerant one may have been the only survivor of a mass-spreader event he caused with his carlessness.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think they help a bit. Enough to where Ill keep wearing one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm Just a reminder, m asks do not protect the wearer, it protects others should you be infected. While cute, that Klingon clip does not apply, it has it backwards. The beligerant one may have been the only survivor of a mass-spreader event he caused with his carlessness.
I have heard the suggestion that it can reduce virus load if you do get infected, possibly reducing the severity of the disease.

Fake Kahless!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
I mean Arkansas is a rabid Trump state and we have one of the highest infection rates in the country. Do Trump supporters believe his rhetoric that Covid is no big deal and therefore take less precautions?
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of Covid cases and the number of infected that are Trump supporters.
An "associate" (former colleague, these past 4 years hard to consider him a friend) is as Kool-aid guzzling Trumptard as it gets. And now it seems he's come down with the hoax. I'm soliciting ideas on how to respond to his FB post lamenting his condition...
Laugh?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm Just a reminder, m asks do not protect the wearer, it protects others should you be infected. While cute, that Klingon clip does not apply, it has it backwards. The beligerant one may have been the only survivor of a mass-spreader event he caused with his carlessness.
Do not protect or protects a lot less? As far as I can tell it's the later. I think the peeing your pants analogy remains the best one to date, even it truly shows a liquid going through filters rather than a gases.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am
Laugh?
Remind him that because it's all a hoax, he should sign a waiver that allows doctors to continually cycle him to the back of the respirator line behind people who were taking precautionary measures.

I woke up this morning with a little congestion in my throat that had to be cleared out, and I can still feel it there. I was worried for a moment until I remembered the dust clouds we kicked up yesterday while cleaning out the basement. I should have been wearing a mask for that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

55,000 'known' COVID cases per DAY. Good job US.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am
Laugh?
Remind him that because it's all a hoax, he should sign a waiver that allows doctors to continually cycle him to the back of the respirator line behind people who were taking precautionary measures.

I woke up this morning with a little congestion in my throat that had to be cleared out, and I can still feel it there. I was worried for a moment until I remembered the dust clouds we kicked up yesterday while cleaning out the basement. I should have been wearing a mask for that.
I asked him how exactly he managed to get sick with a hoax and why ask FB what to do about it when your orange monkey god already told you to mainline some bleach and shove an ultraviolet light up your ass.

That didn't go over well with his family and friends -- all fellow Trumptards, to which I admitted it's not possible for me to summon even a single fuck to give over your plight.
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm
I asked him how exactly he managed to get sick with a hoax and why ask FB what to do about it when your orange monkey god already told you to mainline some bleach and shove an ultraviolet light up your ass.

That didn't go over well with his family and friends -- all fellow Trumptards, to which I admitted it's not possible for me to summon even a single fuck to give over your plight.
Are his initials R.H.? I don't know how you can stand that guy.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

MHS wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm Are his initials R.H.? I don't know how you can stand that guy.
No, R.H. is actually my cousin. This guy rarely, if ever, comments in my posts. We grew up in the same 'hood, but I didn't know him until we worked together at a hospital. He got fired for trying to run over the CIO in the parking lot. :shock:

He posted this morning how miserable he feels and the doctor told him he can't get any treatments unless he's hospitalized. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am
Laugh?

I don't think I could do that. Cut off all communication? Probably. But telling off a sick person I actually know. Not so much. If he was using FB to call COVID a hoax, the odds would have been very high that he would have been culled from my wall a long time ago. I, personally, had exactly 0 of my family and friends calling COVID a hoax that weren't culled for other reasons. I will say there was one particular Trump supporter who did not post only bumperstickers about Trump and COVID denial and she made it all the way until the end, where she started particular interest in "refuting" news I posted. She was a proximate cause of me suspending my account. She didn't break my personal rules on culling but she wore me down with insanity.... Zaxxon and RunningMan9 were doing my dirty work me, though, at the end and were taking none of her nonsense.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mostly I ignore his crap, and he shovels prodigious amounts of it. Much of it racist as hell, but then he claims Republicans are better friends to minorities. For years he's been doing all he can to spread Trump's lies and his FB account gets routinely suspended. It's been awhile (pre-2016 I think) since we had a beer together, and we don't bring up politics but instead discuss our immigrant wives (he loathes his). Responding to some of it amuses me, but like with my cousin, it's a hit-or-run, I say my piece and drop it, refusing to engage on the outrage I create.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think we had our last lunch out for this year today. The weather's going to deteriorate tomorrow, and the virus is breaking loose again. Even if we have some more nice days ahead, it's getting too risky even to dine outdoors. Sorry, restaurants, but it's going to be takeout until next spring.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I went to the VA yesterday. The greeters there told me my gaiter mask wasn't approved of by the VA and I'd have to wear one of their deposable masks. I took one look at it and said it was too small for me and my beard. They started himing and hawing around and I said "I tell you what. I'll just turn around and go home." Then they told me to go ahead and go to my appointment.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

When we go to the hospital they always tell us to wear one of their masks instead of the ones they bring. I've got a big head (to say nothing of my cranial size) and I haven't shaved since March, but I haven't had any problems with fit.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I wear one on my 7 5/8 head with no problems. In fact I prefer them to most other masks because the hospital ones don't make my big ears stick out even more.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Do Not Understand Why Men Have Beards.

:D
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am Do Not Understand Why Men Have Beards.

I can only speak for myself, but it's because I don't like shaving. Simple as that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am

I can only speak for myself, but it's because I don't like shaving. Simple as that.
Simplicity often drives men's choices.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I hate shaving but also hate itchy beards so I just use hair clippers to "shave".
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

We all have deformed lower faces.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

To avoid coming out of the closet?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In my case it's to hid my tattoo of Marilyn Monroe I have tattooed on my chin.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-update ... -face-mask
Fabric: When it comes to fabric, the tightness of the weave is crucial. At a bare minimum, you want the weave to be tight enough that you don’t see the outline of the individual fibers when you hold the material up to light. But tighter is better. A study comparing the aerosol filtration efficiencies of a number of different fabrics found that a high-thread-count (600 TPI) cotton fabric far outperformed a moderate-thread-count (80 TPI) quilter’s cotton for particles of all sizes.

As far as fabric type, filtering experiments show tightly woven 100% cotton outperforming most synthetics. This may be because synthetic fibers are relatively smooth at the microscopic level, while cotton fibers have a somewhat three-dimensional structure that likely creates additional barriers to both outgoing and incoming particles.

Another study suggests that you can increase the effectiveness of a multi-layer mask by combining one layer of cotton with a different material. Researchers evaluated the filtering efficiency of masks made from one layer of 600-thread-count cotton and either two layers of natural silk or chiffon (in this case, a 90% polyester–10% Spandex weave) or a single layer of flannel (a 65% cotton–35% polyester blend). Materials chosen for the non-cotton layers were thought likely to provide good electrostatic filtering, a process that traps particles through the same kind of “cling” effect created by static electricity. Not only did the hybrid masks outperform all other two- or three-layer masks made of a single material, they were superior to N95 masks for particles smaller than 300 nanometers and only slightly inferior for larger particles.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not really a beard guy, but I also hate shaving. My compromise was that I only shaved when I went into the office (and I usually didn't shave on Friday, because it wasn't really that noticeable). I stopped going into the office in March, so the beard started as a joke that I was just keeping up with my traditional rule. I actually have been to the office once since this whole thing started, but that was on a Friday, so I'm still abiding by the rule. It's at the point where it's no longer itchy, but it's still bothersome. I'll get rid of it before too long.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When the pandemic hit, I went with a Van Dyke:

It doesn't itch and it fits under a mask.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Zarathud »

The Van Dyke also fits the 2020 Worst Timeline. Or Mirror Universe, etc.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:58 pm When the pandemic hit, I went with a Van Dyke:

It doesn't itch and it fits under a mask.
But thats a goatee. A VanDyke wouldn't have the mustache connect to the beard.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tell it to google images.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since we're discussing beards in the infectious diseases thread, we should really defer to CDC nomenclature.

Enlarge Image

Which makes it a circle beard.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That chart calls my friendly a Hulihee.