New mouse time

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: New mouse time

Post by hitbyambulance »

20 months later, the OMEN mouse is still working just fine - no problems and it's comfortable enough. i am considering taking it apart to remove/disable the red LED.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I've got a Logitech G502 that has been occasionally double-clicking on its own for a bit now. Looking around for a "fix" I found mention of pulling up the buttons and squirting a bit of WD40 inside. :| Has anyone tried anything like that? I'm a bit... leery... at the moment.
-mf
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm I've got a Logitech G502 that has been occasionally double-clicking on its own for a bit now. Looking around for a "fix" I found mention of pulling up the buttons and squirting a bit of WD40 inside. :| Has anyone tried anything like that? I'm a bit... leery... at the moment.
WD-40 is magic.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm I've got a Logitech G502 that has been occasionally double-clicking on its own for a bit now. Looking around for a "fix" I found mention of pulling up the buttons and squirting a bit of WD40 inside. :| Has anyone tried anything like that? I'm a bit... leery... at the moment.
WD-40 is a water displacer, not a lubricant. i dunno why that would work.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:03 pm
Granted, there are more effective lubricants available than WD-40, but it definitely does provide some lubrication. From the WD-40 wiki entry:
WD-40 is the trademark name of a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray.

Function
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture. This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating. The product is also sold in bulk as a liquid to industrial companies.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I suppose it depends on your perspective. If a product is not specifically marketed as a lubricant then people would be right, technically, to say it's not a lubricant. But my view is if I can use it as a lubricant in certain situations, and it works, then it is a lubricant. I think what happens is the WD 40 displaces gunk and then coats the item so that more gunk can't form. In that way the friction is reduced, and for all practical purposes it's like you lubricated the item.

There's a guy on Youtube, Tech City Yes, who uses an Australian version of WD 40 as part of his PC parts cleaning routine. It does not seem to do any harm and actually makes the parts look pretty good. I don't remember seeing him use it on mice though, since I don't think he does anything other than replace malfunctioning mice.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 pm
I suppose it depends on your perspective. If a product is not specifically marketed as a lubricant then people would be right, technically, to say it's not a lubricant. But my view is if I can use it as a lubricant in certain situations, and it works, then it is a lubricant. I think what happens is the WD 40 displaces gunk and then coats the item so that more gunk can't form. In that way the friction is reduced, and for all practical purposes it's like you lubricated the item.

There's a guy on Youtube, Tech City Yes, who uses an Australian version of WD 40 as part of his PC parts cleaning routine. It does not seem to do any harm and actually makes the parts look pretty good. I don't remember seeing him use it on mice though, since I don't think he does anything other than replace malfunctioning mice.
Been meaning to come back here for a bit now... this actually seems to have worked! Just wanted to pass that along. We'll see if it eventually reverts back to its old ways but so far so good. 8-)
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not getting the 'not marketed as a lubricant'. Most all places I look list it as a lubricant. Even WD-40s own product page list lubricant for its description.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I was also surprised to see there are more than one version of it available nowadays... stuck with the original recipe rather than the 'gel' variant.
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It can work as emergency lubricant, but it' lacks viscosity or thermal stability for demanding applications that should use a proper lubricant.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

It appears my wired mouse has a short in it, so does anyone have any updates to the Best Mouse discussion?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 am It appears my wired mouse has a short in it, so does anyone have any updates to the Best Mouse discussion?
If you're a fingertip grip person, I've been really happy with the BenQ ZA-13. I was previously using the Logitech G303 because I liked how light it was and its overall shape, but it was discontinued. The ZA-13 has been a great substitute. I think I got the small size.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

for large mice, the HP Omen/Steelseries i got a while back (mentioned in this thread) is still just fine. i believe i mentioned it's almost the exact same form factor as the old MS IntelliMouse line.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wife and I use the Logitech MX Master 3. Battery life is quite good.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 am It appears my wired mouse has a short in it, so does anyone have any updates to the Best Mouse discussion?
Best for gaming? Corsair is your friend, avoid Razer, and I'd argue one of the best right now is the Logitech G Pro Wireless.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 pm Best for gaming? Corsair is your friend, avoid Razer, and I'd argue one of the best right now is the Logitech G Pro Wireless.
Nice looking mouse. Someday I'll break my addition to my old X360 controller and go back to mouse & keyboard. Someday... :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:The wife and I use the Logitech MX Master 3. Battery life is quite good.
I use this as well, it’s the best mouse I’ve used. The battery life has been remarkable. Also a fan of the associated keyboard.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll also leave these two guides here. I use the site quite a bit. It forgoes the usual marketing and analyzes the gear used by professional level gamers. Obviously, if efficient office use is your goal, you should look elsewhere.

Best wireless mouse

Best gaming mouse
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can see what I got on page 3. My wife ordered me two mice so when one fritzed Id have a back up. Good thing too as one fritzed 6 months into it and I had to have them replace it.

Both are corded btw. I went from cordless back to corded. I wasn't happy about doing that as I love cordless. All I do is game btw. But I got used the having a cord again quickly.

This is the one I began using. Once I turned that annoying sniper button off so that I wasn't constantly pushing it I loved it. Until the middle button died 6 or 7 months later. They replaced the mouse new but I haven't went back to using it other than to test it when it arrived. I did finish Rise of the Tomb Raider with it and other games.
CORSAIR M65 Pro RGB - FPS Gaming Mouse
Enlarge Image

I started using this one while the Corsair one was sent off to be replaced. I still use it today. Been a perfect mouse with one tiny knockoff. It has a lot of feet on it and they pick up dirt. Has 5 or 6 on it instead of 4 due to the way its shaped. All mice now days may be the same.
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse
Enlarge Image
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've had that same Proteus mouse for over a year. I like it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Had my Logitech G502 Hero for over a year and still loving it.
G502 Hero
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I must admit to missing my Darkfield sensor on my old Logitech Performance MX mouse. It didn't need a mouse pad or anything. No thing on the bottom. The sensing strip was around the edge of the mouse.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'm still waiting to see what, if anything, comes of the elusive Gaming Trackball.

But if you're amenable to using a trackball instead of a mouse, the Japanese Elecom "Huge" fingertip-controlled M-HT1DRBK Wireless Trackball (or the slightly cheaper wired version) comes fairly close to the terrific Microsoft Trackball Explorer of old, and makes for a surprisingly effective gaming trackball:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a wireless mouse a couple of years back, but it would frequently disconnect - not sure why, but it led to too many video game deaths, so I went to a wired version. I'm thinking of trying Corsair M65.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

M65 is what I used prior to my current mouse, and it is a great product.

Back when I was writing for games (manuals, strategy guides), I had to switch to a trackball for gaming after write-game-write-game for hours on end took its toll on my carpals. There's definitely a learning curve. As I recall, I loaded up a game I knew, set it on easy, and muddled my way through. By the time I got to the end, it was comfortable. Eventually it felt as good as a mouse. Trackballs are a viable mouse alternative for gaming, especially if you have RSIs or a lack of space.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:56 am Thanks for the suggestions. I had a wireless mouse a couple of years back, but it would frequently disconnect - not sure why, but it led to too many video game deaths, so I went to a wired version. I'm thinking of trying Corsair M65.
I did wireless for a while but now I'm back to preferring wired. The cords are often pretty light nowadays, and I like that the mouse itself is a lot lighter when it doesn't have a battery inside.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you ever get the chance, handle a G Pro Wireless. They're a very, very light mouse. The battery is integral, and weighs almost nothing.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:32 am If you ever get the chance, handle a G Pro Wireless. They're a very, very light mouse. The battery is integral, and weighs almost nothing.
It's exactly the same weight as the wired one I'm using right now. What devilry is this? The size and shape look like what I like as well. I'll definitely add it to my wishlist.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've had it for a year, and still pull 50-60 hours per charge.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

G Pro Wireless
That things as expensive as a payment on a used car.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That HERO mouse is $35 right now at Best Buy's Black Friday sale..ya its going on now...shrug. Its 2020 so its a chaos year I guess.

Scroll down.
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-b ... -and-deals
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

How adjustable do you want it? G.skill ripjaw MX780 is pretty adjustable, not quite MADCAT R.A.T. level, but definitely better than most. And it's $36 on Amazon.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I too have been using a Logitech G502 wired gaming mouse for a few years now, and I love it. It "looks" like a bulkier mouse but it's really not... it's just the angular design and thumb rest. I run it without any weights because I'm some kind of monster. I agree that the feet quickly pick up dust and frequently need to be cleaned, but it's barely an annoyance. I occasionally switch DPI by accident which was a pain, but I fixed that by changing all the presets to the same setting. :lol: I think it might have been one of you who suggested that. Mind you, I'm not generally a serious gamer who depends on mouse performance.

I came from a Razer Deathadder that I liked just fine, but I didn't care for its tacky surface and that you had to click so far down the buttons to get them to register. I'm a high-clicker who likes to choke up on the mouse sometimes. Eventually, the mouse wheel gave out and a thorough cleaning didn't fix it.

On the budget end, we've been extremely impressed with a Redragon mechanical keyboard I got Mrs. Nym for her birthday at less than half the price of most major brands. We were keen to try one of their mice as well, but our shop was out of stock when I wanted to place the order.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:43 am
I came from a Razer Deathadder that I liked just fine, but I didn't care for its tacky surface and that you had to click so far down the buttons to get them to register. I'm a high-clicker who likes to choke up on the mouse sometimes. Eventually, the mouse wheel gave out and a thorough cleaning didn't fix it.
it's not dirt, the wheel just breaks. there's a small plastic piece that just comes off and then the mouse wheel assembly becomes useless. it's a known issue with these mice - there are many aftermarket replacements on ebay - and this is why i won't buy Razer products.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I probably wont ever again either thanks to multiple kb issues after a couple years.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

my logitech mx anywhere 2 finally failed. it had a good long run of 5 years. the mx anywhere 2 is only available as refurb, or from shady places selling it "like new" so I declined.

I picked up the new version the mx anywhere 3, but I don't like it as much because it weighs less. I like the weight of the old one. It comes with a bunch of fancy features I don't think I will use, like the ability to sync it to multiple computers, and store files inside the mouse to use for transferring. there is also some sort of use it at once on multiple machines, like a kvm setup, except its just a m .

It still has the darkfield, which is the primary reason I have it, so I can use the arm of my easy chair as the mouse pad. If you haven't tried it, darkfield is like magic, it really is "anywhere" I can put the mouse on a window, and it it still works.

so if you need something that works on a shiny table, or on a couch or a pillow or something, its a good choice. But it s smaller portable size, good for laptops, not a full size for desktops.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I had bad experience with Logitech. More than one logitech mouse with button switch problem that result in accidental double click when I try to click and drag. Last one was Logitech G502 Hero that only took about 3 months before the button problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hope that doesn't happen to me as I ended up going with the Hero 502. So far, we really like it!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had a Logi that got that double click problem with no fix. Just when I got a replacement that time it stopped on it's own. Guess it didn't want to be thrown away :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was the problem (a faulty switch, FWIW) that my Razer mouse had that started the support cycle with them that led to four mice and a refusal to do business with them.