[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Grifman »

So apparently HBO Max has been a big flop, with only 4.1 million subscribers. And it serves them right. You can''t grow your service if you ignore Roku and Fire streaming, two of the biggest streaming platforms out there. I have HBO Max through my ATT streaming service but I can't watch on my 65 inch TV, through Roku, the only way I can watch it is true the HBO Max on my iPad. This is very frustrating so I do feel a little glee that they have been unsuccessful so far. I think they have a pretty good service but when you make it impossible for your customers to use it, well, what do you expect?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You know that it's not like HBO Max doesn't want to be on Amazon Fire and Roku, right? They're not trying to alienate customers. It seems a bit silly to have "glee" over low subscription numbers because negotiations haven't been successful so far.
The key issues holding up deals center on control of user data and ad inventory, according to industry analysts and sources familiar with the conversations.

“It’s part of a debate over who controls the customer and how much information they get,” Rich Greenfield, an analyst at research firm Lightshed Partners, said in an interview. “Given the increasingly competitive device landscape everyone is looking for new forms of revenue, such as advertising. Who sells the ads and what the shares of the ad inventory are is certainly a major issue.”

. . . .

The HBO Max and Peacock holdups are a sharp contrast to Disney+, which was available on Roku when it launched on November 12 and made its way to Amazon’s Fire TVs shortly after. Disney inked a deal with Amazon that required customers to sign up and watch Disney+ programming directly through Disney+, rather than going through the Amazon Channel’s store. The move gave Disney direct control over its customers, their user data and credit card information, which Disney can exploit for targeted advertising.

. . . .

A source familiar with the conversations told IndieWire that inking deals to bring new streaming services to Roku have been held up by the company’s inconsistent demands, which change from month-to-month. The individual said it was understandable to expect a “value exchange” as part of negotiations — such as giving Roku content for its own channel — but argues that Roku’s demands on user data and ad inventory stalled negotiations with the new streaming services. Similar issues have stalled negotiations with Amazon, according to the source.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:40 pm You know that it's not like HBO Max doesn't want to be on Amazon Fire and Roku, right? They're not trying to alienate customers. It seems a bit silly to have "glee" over low subscription numbers because negotiations haven't been successful so far.
I am totally aware of all of that - believe me, I have been following the issue and have been hoping for a resolution. The latest word from HBO is that they have to have a deal "by the end of the year". And yet, I as a consumer, have a service that I am paying for really can't use the way I want it to. Their issues with Roku and Amazon are not really my concern - it's their job to fix it. I'd tolerate a few weeks but this is going on several months now. This is something they should have worked out months ago when they decided they were going to create HBO Max - they announced HBO Max in July, 2019! I think more than a year is plenty of time to have gotten their deal negotiated, don't you think? The simple fact is that Time Warner is disappointed that their subscriptions are low for HBO Max - well, what did they think was going to happen if they weren't on Roku and Amazon, making their HBO Max all but impossible to access for many people?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Grifman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 pm I think more than a year is plenty of time to have gotten their deal negotiated, don't you think?
Obviously not. Some deals get negotiated quickly, some take a year or more to complete. As someone who has negotiated large corporate deals for the last 20 years+ (although, to be clear, I have nothing to do with the HBO Max or Warner side of the AT&T house), I can speak from a wealth of experience that a variety of factors can cause negotiations to take a long time. I can see why, as a consumer, you want to place the blame on one party, but it takes two to tango (or to not tango, as the case may be).
JCC

Post by JCC »

Roku and Amazon pretty much have all the leverage. If HBO ends up caving after months they will look like fools. If they don't cave they will continue to lose money by the boatload and the management will be fired fools.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Formix

Post by Formix »

I’m in solely for studio Ghibli, and once we’re through those, if the Roku deal isn’t done, we’re probably out. That said, HBO Max works great on the new chromecast googletv.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We watched the new version of The Witches with the kids as a Halloween movie on Sunday. It was supposed to be a theatrical release, but, you know . . . .

It's got some oomph behind it with Robert Zemeckis directing and co-writing, Guillermo del Toro among the co-writers, and Alfonso Cuaron among the producers. It has a good cast with Octavia Spencer, Chris Rock (voice), Anne Hathaway, and Stanley Tucci being the big names. I haven't read Roald Dahl's book or seen the 1990 version of the movie, but I understand that this version is a little lighter in tone than either of those. Boy twin (age 6) did get a bit nervous (he's the easily scared one), but he made it through the movie and enjoyed it. There are some nicely creepy effects for when the witches reveal their true nature, but we didn't have any nightmares last night. It's not some grand masterpiece or anything, but it was a fine way to spend a couple of hours of family time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

I really wish Roku and HBO would figure out their differences. At this point, I think we're cancelling before our next renewal at the end of the month so they go from splitting the pie to getting no pie. Brilliant!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 am I really wish Roku and HBO would figure out their differences. At this point, I think we're cancelling before our next renewal at the end of the month so they go from splitting the pie to getting no pie. Brilliant!
Used PS4s should be really cheap soon and HBO Max works just dandy on the PS4.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:39 am We watched the new version of The Witches with the kids as a Halloween movie on Sunday. It was supposed to be a theatrical release, but, you know . . . .

It's got some oomph behind it with Robert Zemeckis directing and co-writing, Guillermo del Toro among the co-writers, and Alfonso Cuaron among the producers. It has a good cast with Octavia Spencer, Chris Rock (voice), Anne Hathaway, and Stanley Tucci being the big names. I haven't read Roald Dahl's book or seen the 1990 version of the movie, but I understand that this version is a little lighter in tone than either of those. Boy twin (age 6) did get a bit nervous (he's the easily scared one), but he made it through the movie and enjoyed it. There are some nicely creepy effects for when the witches reveal their true nature, but we didn't have any nightmares last night. It's not some grand masterpiece or anything, but it was a fine way to spend a couple of hours of family time.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Kind of not as sci-fi sexy as the other HBO Max shows, but I am really enjoying The Undoing (with Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, and the cute boy from A Quiet Place). If you (or your wife) liked Big Little Lies or that style of show at all, you'll probably enjoy this one quite a bit. Great acting (of course), intriguing plot, and Nicole looks fantastic. Hugh, not so much.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Does anyone else have problems with HBO MAx being laggy as hell? I have absolutely zero issues with other streaming services and lag. But with HBO Max it's sometimes hard to get through anything without it lagging and stuttering all over the place.
FTE
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tiger

A Tiger Woods 2-part docuseries.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Deal reached with Amazon Fire. Nothing yet with Roku. Terms were not announced.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sigh.

Well, when I cancelled, I put the fact that I was cancelling because I couldn't get Max, so they know my vote.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

November 29th is the premiere date for 30 Coins.
30 COINS

New serie
s. The director Álex de la Iglesia immerses you in a world where nothing is what it seems and no one can be trusted. The protagonist, Father Vergara, is an exorcist, boxer and ex-convict exiled by the Vatican in a parish in a remote town in Spain. Little by little, he will find himself immersed in a global conspiracy: the battle for control of the thirty coins for which the apostle Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus of Nazareth.
Spoiler:
Why am I excited for this? Because Álex de la Iglesia is one of my all time favorite directors. He caught my eye with The Last Circus (which is just utterly amazing...in a beautifully grotesque way) and sealed the deal with such fare as My Big Night (his critically acclaimed comedy about the goings on behind a live TV special...now available on netflix), The Bar (also available on Netflix...it's about what we become when faced with what may be the end of the world), and Witching and Bitching (an over the top horror comedy).

I can't wait to see this. :wub:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looks interesting, but is it subtitles only? That's a show killer for me, unfortunately.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I much prefer watching foreign shows with subtitles. I can't stand the voice acting that 90 percent of the dubbed crap uses. Plus, you oftentimes aren't getting the actual dialog since they will rush lines to make them fit (somewhat) the actor's mouths. If it's dubbed only, I'm out. But I'm betting they'll include a dubbed version and subtitled version.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

telcta

Post by telcta »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:04 pm I much prefer watching foreign shows with subtitles. I can't stand the voice acting that 90 percent of the dubbed crap uses. Plus, you oftentimes aren't getting the actual dialog since they will rush lines to make them fit (somewhat) the actor's mouths.
I agree. As much as it pulls my eyes away from the action, when given the option I will watch a foreign movie with subtitles. I was disappointed that HBO Max only had Life is Beautiful dubbed (I couldn’t find any option to choose the language). As good as it was, and that’s probably one of the best versions of a dubbed movie I’ve seen, it pulled me away from the movie more than reading subtitles would.

I made a note to check out that director you mentioned earlier. I don’t believe I’ve seen any of those movies. Always looking out for something new.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:04 pm I much prefer watching foreign shows with subtitles. I can't stand the voice acting that 90 percent of the dubbed crap uses. Plus, you oftentimes aren't getting the actual dialog since they will rush lines to make them fit (somewhat) the actor's mouths. If it's dubbed only, I'm out. But I'm betting they'll include a dubbed version and subtitled version.
It isn't a preference to me. My brain tends to give me tunnel vision. I end up either watching the show and having no idea what was said, or reading the show and having no idea what happened. I switch back and forth between the two extremes, and end up with absolutely no clue as to what's going on. Other autistic people often have the same problem.

(Related curiosity: Many autists turn on subtitles for shows in their native language. Due to how common auditory processing issues are, we have trouble separating dialogue from background noise. I always have subtitles on in games for this reason.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

telcta wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 am
I made a note to check out that director you mentioned earlier. I don’t believe I’ve seen any of those movies. Always looking out for something new.
Start with The Last Circus. If you’re not a fan after that, you probably won’t like him. He’s like a grindhouse Fellini at times. But then he can turn around and make a slapstick comedy like My Big Night in the next moment.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sounds like a deal with Roku is imminent. I think at this point the pressure is on Roku. They don't want to have a competitive disadvantage with Amazon during Black Friday/Xmas time.

My guess is Roku will back off wanting HBO to be part of the Roku app (similar to Amazon limiting HBO Max to an app and not a part of their overcluttered Amazon/Prime laden screen) and probably lower their ad cut a bit to get the deal done.

I am pretty excited about being able to see Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max to the point I might actually hook up my Fire stick to watch it if I have to...
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:17 pm Let Them All Talk

Enlarge Image
From the title I was hoping this was an Elvis Costello feature.
Conform or be cast out!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In a massive announcement, Warners will be streaming all their 2021 movies on HBO Max for 1 month, in 4K and HDR, day and date with their theatrical releases.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:02 pm In a massive announcement, Warners will be streaming all their 2021 movies on HBO Max for 1 month, in 4K and HDR, day and date with their theatrical releases.
Daaaaamn.

Looks like I picked the right Christmas to upgrade our 42" 1080 to a 65" 4k HDR! It was actually the announcement of Wonder Woman 1984 coming to Max that made me start looking at the option seriously, knowing how mediocre the experience would be compared to the theater.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I guess it might be time to subscribe to HBO Max. There's no way I'm stepping foot in a movie theater for a long time, and I want to see some of those.

Also, I learned from this announcement that there's a new Mortal Kombat movie coming out next year?!?!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:12 pm I guess it might be time to subscribe to HBO Max. There's no way I'm stepping foot in a movie theater for a long time, and I want to see some of those.

Also, I learned from this announcement that there's a new Mortal Kombat movie coming out next year?!?!
Yep!
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My number-one anticipated movie is DUNE, which is slated for December October 21.

I assume everyone will be vaxxed up by then, so I'll still see it in a theater.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Geekdom Movies
Warner Bros. is radically changing up its distribution strategy for 2021, releasing all 17 of its movies for the year in theaters and on HBO Max simultaneously.

Just as “Wonder Woman 1984” will be released on Christmas Day both in theaters and on HBO Max, Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate will play on the WarnerMedia streaming service and theatrically worldwide. However, every film will be available for just one month on HBO Max before it leaves the platform, and it will then continue playing theaters with normal distribution windows.

Again, this applies to every movie on Warner’s 2021 slate — though some are still in production and the exact list is subject to change. That includes major tentpoles like “Godzilla vs. Kong,” DC Films’ “The Suicide Squad,” Timothée Chalamet’s “Dune” and Keanu Reeves’ “Matrix 4.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

BAM?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

HA! Tentpoles...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 pmBAM?
Sure. My attention span is measured in seconds these days.