2020 Election Results

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: 2020 Election Results

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:33 am An interesting data point (that we kinda inherently knew already). The 500 counties that went for Biden make up 75% of the GDP. The 2,500 that went for Trump make up 30%.
That's not how we math.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:53 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:33 am An interesting data point (that we kinda inherently knew already). The 500 counties that went for Biden make up 75% of the GDP. The 2,500 that went for Trump make up 30%.
That's not how we math.
GDP was 105% under Trump. Highest levels ever.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:31 am
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:53 am
That's not how we math.
GDP was 105% under Trump. Highest levels ever.
Believe me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ack...typo. Meant 70/30, obviously. :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

According to the NYT scraping site - Biden won PA! He has a ~47k vote lead with ~40k votes left to count.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seems like a great time to hold an indoor rally.

This is what the “Save Our Majority” rally looks like. Speaking before this crowd in a windowless room, Sens. @marcorubio
@KLoeffler. Approx 1/3rd to 1/2 of the room is maskless, as Georgia #COVID19 infections enter a red zone.

My entire @CNN team has physically left this indoor rally. It’s not safe given the #Covid19 numbers in Georgia. Again, this is the “Save our Majority” rally in Cobb County
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would say it is fair to condemn the Biden victory celebrations that erupted this weekend for similar concerns. If we want to be taken seriously, I think we need to also follow the rules.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't recall seeing lots of indoor maskless Biden celebrations, but I would absolutely condemn them as well, yes. Celebrate, protest - whatever. But do so safely.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not indoors, but plenty of outdoor celebrations with people crowded shoulder to shoulder and not wearing masks in some cases. I just hate giving fuel to right wing rags and the WH talking heads who love to point this stuff out. That insufferable piece of human garbage McEnany has already been shouting it from the rooftops.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:02 pm Not indoors, but plenty of outdoor celebrations with people crowded shoulder to shoulder and not wearing masks in some cases. I just hate giving fuel to right wing rags and the WH talking heads who love to point this stuff out. That insufferable piece of human garbage McEnany has already been shouting it from the rooftops.
I hear you, and I certainly wouldn't participate in even an outdoor celebration with tons of maskless people.

But surely you realize that you lost the comparison at 'not indoors,' right? That's a game-changing difference in risk level. Indoors and out are not remotely comparable in this case.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's still a significant risk when people aren't social distancing or wearing masks, I would say. Otherwise why are health officials still discouraging outdoor gatherings of large numbers?

The Rose Garden event at the WH where many folks contracted Covid was dubbed a super spreader event by a lot of headlines. It was held outdoors. Granted, folks were a lot less observant of mask wearing at the Rose Garden gathering, and they spent a lot of time with their lips planted on one man's ass. No social distancing whatsoever.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:02 pm Not indoors, but plenty of outdoor celebrations with people crowded shoulder to shoulder and not wearing masks in some cases. I just hate giving fuel to right wing rags and the WH talking heads who love to point this stuff out. That insufferable piece of human garbage McEnany has already been shouting it from the rooftops.
Indoor, party-sanctioned and organized event vs. outdoor informal, impromptu gathering.

One looks like marginally bad judgement. The other looks like a last-ditch effort to harvest souls before the reckoning.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To right wing talking heads, that distinction doesn't exist, unfortunately.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm not participating in any celebrations, rally or large gathering, indoors, outdoors, maskless or masked. But surely the most dangerous actions by far that people have performed of late was voting for Trump? :P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:09 pm It's still a significant risk when people aren't social distancing or wearing masks, I would say. Otherwise why are health officials still discouraging outdoor gatherings of large numbers?

The Rose Garden event at the WH where many folks contracted Covid was dubbed a super spreader event by a lot of headlines. It was held outdoors. Granted, folks were a lot less observant of mask wearing at the Rose Garden gathering, and they spent a lot of time with their lips planted on one man's ass. No social distancing whatsoever.
There was also an indoor component to the Rose Garden event as well. Given who wound up getting infected vs. the outdoor seating map, I strongly suspect that substantially all of the infections took place indoors.

Anyway, I don't think anyone's disputing that unsafe gatherings should be condemned regardless of party, but there is a lack of equivalence in general of the safety practices on each side.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm To right wing talking heads, that distinction doesn't exist, unfortunately.
Nor does reality. If you withhold criticism or derision out of fear of whataboitism, you'll never have a single thing to say.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I also stopped giving a hot damn what right-wing news organizations think. They lost the right to play Covid police a long time ago.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm I also stopped giving a hot damn what right-wing news organizations think. They lost the right to play Covid police a long time ago.
And yet I expect a significant level of COVID concern to begin somewhere around 1/20/21 12:01 PM.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This will all be over in no time as GA is now going to hand count all 5 million ballots....just to be sure Trump gets it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The Republic is not going to hold.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:15 pm This will all be over in no time as GA is now going to hand count all 5 million ballots....just to be sure Trump gets it.
FWIW the GA Secretary of State says that they're still going to certify by the 20th as planned.

One question is whether they're going to allow ballot challenges as part of the recount. If not, should be fine. If so...we're headed for a complete shitshow.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

On a frustrating note, I posted the above link on facebook along with a question on whether that 30% of GDP also has implications on the amount of money spent on education in the counties that voted for Trump and ended with "And you know, Trump did say he loves the uneducated people".

To which a long-term friend of mine from HS, who has started out as a reasonable republican but then went off the deep end during the Trump years, criticized me for my "elitist" attitude in calling the poor "stupid and deplorable" and ending with "bless the poor". This coming from a guy who has had both his children in elite private schools in Hawaii, brags about his house in the hills and posts about his annual vacations to Lake Tahoe.

I couldn't take it anymore. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I made my final post and said "hope you cherish the memories you make with Trump because you just firebombed all the memories of us" and unfriended him. I didn't go through the final step of deleting my account because I still have posts with my mom and cousins on there but damn if that made me think twice about ever going back to check on Facebook.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We all knew there would be a recount in GA. I see no need for panic.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

raydude wrote:I couldn't take it anymore. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.
There was a great article on CNN from a guy who had several family members essentially disown him over Trump, and the gist of his open letter to them was "I hope this guy you've never met and doesn't know you from a hole in the ground was worth destroying decades of family relationships."
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 pm
raydude wrote:I couldn't take it anymore. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.
There was a great article on CNN from a guy who had several family members essentially disown him over Trump, and the gist of his open letter to them was "I hope this guy you've never met and doesn't know you from a hole in the ground was worth destroying decades of family relationships."
If Trump somehow stays in office I will disown the parts of my family that support him. This is unlikely to happen which is good, but seriously this isn't a Republican/Democrat thing. This is a holy shit this dude is insane thing. And supporting something that would probably ruin my daughters future is kind of a deal breaker for me. :wink:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
raydude

Post by raydude »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 pm
I did read that. Unfortunately, I cannot help but feel I am playing the part of those relatives by being the first to unfriend - but damn, to be attacked personally by someone I once called my friend was just too much.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm We all knew there would be a recount in GA. I see no need for panic.
Unless it comes out that they're allowing challenges as part of the recount, or that there's some other procedural mechanism built into this which would favor Trump, I'm not yet panicking.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm We all knew there would be a recount in GA. I see no need for panic.
Unless it comes out that they're allowing challenges as part of the recount, or that there's some other procedural mechanism built into this which would favor Trump, I'm not yet panicking.
I read on Aljezera that there is no "right to challenge" in the GA recount law. So it might end up in court, but it's not a given that challenges can be made.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The entire Trump and GOP herd is ignoring Biden. They are refusing to acknowledge his win and wont give him the intel briefing or anything. I know the Trumpites will ignore the GOP shit but they are right there with him still and Ill never forgive them.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 pm
I read on Aljezera that there is no "right to challenge" in the GA recount law. So it might end up in court, but it's not a given that challenges can be made.
I guess in the end my main worry is that the GA Secretary of State is getting GOP pressure to produce a different outcome in GA, and it's at least possible that ordering the recount is step 1 in caving to it. Maybe not! Speculative at this point. But that's my core worry.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Puerto Rica discovers over 100 briefcases with uncounted ballots.

Rosado said he didn’t know yet how many total votes are in the 126 briefcases, noting some contained three ballots and others 500 ballots
Puerto Rico’s elections commission said Tuesday that it has discovered more than 100 briefcases containing uncounted ballots a week after the U.S. territory held its general election, drawing criticism and scorn from voters who now question the validity of the outcomes of certain races.

Francisco Rosado, the commission’s new president, said the briefcases were found in a secured vault and blamed the situation on what he said was an underfunded and understaffed administrative board responsible for counting a record number of absentee and early votes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Who uses briefcases anymore? Let alone over a hundred of them to store ballots?

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:42 pm Who uses briefcases anymore? Let alone over a hundred of them to store ballots?
Do we know that we're talking about old-fashioned hard briefcases as opposed to modern soft satchels? I carry a satchel that was sold as a "briefcase."

(Ballots from mainland drop boxes are picked up and zipped into official satchels for transportation to counting centers.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm To right wing talking heads, that distinction doesn't exist, unfortunately.
Nor does reality. If you withhold criticism or derision out of fear of whataboitism, you'll never have a single thing to say.
You call it whataboutism, others call it hypocrisy.
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:55 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 pm
I guess in the end my main worry is that the GA Secretary of State is getting GOP pressure to produce a different outcome in GA, and it's at least possible that ordering the recount is step 1 in caving to it. Maybe not! Speculative at this point. But that's my core worry.
They were always going to recount Georgia. I really don't think there's any chance that any state has the winner changed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Guess the takeaway is that the Fox decision desk had a strong case for calling it on election night. [/s]
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Georgia recount doesn’t make any sense. The GA SOS has already stated that this recount will likely be less accurate than the initial count. Plus, once it’s done, any candidate can request another recount. So it’s a pretty useless endeavor.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:22 am The Georgia recount doesn’t make any sense. The GA SOS has already stated that this recount will likely be less accurate than the initial count. Plus, once it’s done, any candidate can request another recount. So it’s a pretty useless endeavor.
I think it is automatic when the margin of victory is <.5%.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter