What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 pm I was wondering if you heard the re-recording:
Yeah, it’s what got me down the rabbit hole this week. :)
I don't understand how this was written (and recorded) in 1986 by a bunch of teenagers. It's bonkers. This was so far off my radar at that point (I was a kid), but to hear it now is amazing.
The self-titled and “California” are two of the most mind-blowing albums ever. “Disco Volante” didn’t really click for me as a whole, although I’m in awe of a few songs on there. These are madness.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 pm I was wondering if you heard the re-recording:

I don't understand how this was written (and recorded) in 1986 by a bunch of teenagers. It's bonkers. This was so far off my radar at that point (I was a kid), but to hear it now is amazing.
But I'm sure this version is WAY better than what they were doing in 1986. Scott Ian and Dave Lombardo were doing their own things then.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

AC/DC has a new album out, Power Up. Outside of the near-mandatory appreciation for their classics, I wouldn't consider myself a fan. Their guitars are fantastic, but their songs are repetitive. Brian Johnson's voice is unique and captivating, but the band's lyrics are often grating and historically sleazy. But, while most of their albums I've tried to give an honest listen to blur together, there's no denying their hits. This is their first album since Malcom Young's 2017 death, and a suspected break-up of the band in 2018. It sounds like pretty much every other AC/DC record I've ever heard, but once in a blue moon that's preceisely what I'm in the mood for.

No song sticks with me out of the gate like 2014's Rock or Bust. Witch's Spell isn't bad though. This one is probably a single for a reason though (and IMO a lot more interesting than the first one, Shot In The Dark):

Realize

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hadn't seen the AC/DC news. Interesting.

I forgot just how damn good this QotSA stuff holds up - still fantastic!

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Sudy wrote:AC/DC has a new album out, Power Up. Outside of the near-mandatory appreciation for their classics, I wouldn't consider myself a fan. Their guitars are fantastic, but their songs are repetitive. Brian Johnson's voice is unique and captivating, but the band's lyrics are often grating and historically sleazy. But, while most of their albums I've tried to give an honest listen to blur together, there's no denying their hits. This is their first album since Malcom Young's 2017 death, and a suspected break-up of the band in 2018. It sounds like pretty much every other AC/DC record I've ever heard, but once in a blue moon that's preceisely what I'm in the mood for.

No song sticks with me out of the gate like 2014's Rock or Bust. Witch's Spell isn't bad though. This one is probably a single for a reason though (and IMO a lot more interesting than the first one, Shot In The Dark):

Realize

I listened to the new album today and I agree with your impression 100%.

Decent songs but nothing caught me where I had to go through and listen to it again.

This is your typical AC/DC album where most songs sound identical. Mediocre at best.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:I’ve been on a Bungle kick this week. This is one of the most insane and complex songs ever. I’ve probably listened to it a hundred times, and I still hear something new every time.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Mike Patton, Mr. Bungle, and Faith No More since the 80's.

There is quite a bit of stuff I like and still keep on my daily playlist. However, there is also a bunch of their stuff that I personally think is garbage.

Listened to the new album a few times now and my love/hate relationship continues. There's some good songs in there, but a couple that are horrendous (At least to me).

I've often thought Mike Patton would be hella fun to drink with.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I love Bal-Sagoth so frigging much. I think they're my favourite discovery of the past couple years. Yes, I know I'm a couple decades late. Ordinarily I think the spoken-word narration elements would annoy me, but here I think they're what makes the band's sound unique and so interesting.

Star-Maps of the Ancient Cosmographers

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Can't decide if I like the original or the acoustic version better:

Falconer - Royal Galley

Acoustic:

Falconer is one of the few metal bands I can play for my mother and she doesn't tell me she thinks they have angry souls. I doubt she'd appreciate Mithotyn though. (My mom texts me Josh Groban and Pentatonix videos etc., which I usually ignore.)

JCC

Post by JCC »

I prefer the original but the acoustic version is awesome.

I really need to check out some of their newer stuff. I just never got as engaged with the 2nd and 3rd albums. Their debut was just fantastic.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's a Type O kinda day.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gradually and occasionally going through the entire TMBG discography, chronologically. they kinda lost me after the massive disappointment that was _John Henry_ and never really recovered - it's like they became a different band after becoming a 'full' band - so i'm giving it all a second chance. anyways, i had never heard the online-only album from 1999 (_Long Tall Weekend_) and i just got around to it now. it wasn't too bad.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Checked out the new Dark Tranquillity album this morning on Spotify. Good suff! Given that one of the Amott brothers is playing guitar now, I was wondering if their sound would be a bit different, but it really still sounds like DT. Maybe 1 or 2 solos towards the back half of the album were a little more energetic than normal but, by and large this sounds like Dark Tranquillity!

Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Super group Killer be Killed new album is out and it's a great heavy metal album.

Good stuff.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There aren't too many groups or songs that can capture the auditory greasy feel I get when listening to the Afghan Whigs, but this is probably the closest I've heard in a long time. Not sure how I missed this album.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I can't stand QotSA, but it did circle me back to Kyuss...which is always good. :)

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Contrarian album (“Only Time Will Tell”) is really good. The old-school Death and Atheist influences are on full display, and they bring some interesting vocal choir(ish) elements into the mix as well. Obviously a ton of talent here.

Only thing I’m not crazy about are some of the lower vocals. He’s got a good, powerful mid-range growl, but his low gutturals sound really weak. A minor nitpick, but one that bugs me a bit.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've never really listened to Arch Enemy. I heard We Will Rise it must have been ages ago before I was generally into heavier metal, but that was it. I enjoy melodeath, so I decided to give the rest of that album (Anthems of Rebellion, 2003) a try but didn't really dig it. But then, I went back and listened to Black Earth (1996), and holy crap! What an infections auditory assault. As some reviews state, this is when melodeath still had some death in it. As someone who likes his death light and melodeath heavy, I really dig this. It seems more in line with my limited knowledge of death 'n' roll. Of course, this was when they had their original vocalist, Johan Liiva (a dude). His hoarse yells are fantastic.

Eureka

21 years and two vocalists later, you have Will to Power, which I haven't listened to fully yet, but I love Reason to Believe. I understand this to be an uncharacteristic track with Alissa White-Gluz mostly using clean vocals (very well) in a power ballad, but it's some Paradise Lost or Ministry-level transformative wizardry--both great songs, but hard to believe it's the same band.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Reason to Believe is my least favorite track from that album! haha.
Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol... after reading this was the band's first ever track with clean vocals, it probably came as a shock to many. The vocalist sounds like she could pull it off all the time though. (I didn't realize until now that it's also Alissa White-Gluz on this version of Soilwork's Stålfågel, a song with a similar timbre.) What I really love about it is the contrast between the clean verses and growled chorus. The introduction and verse actually sounds very late-90s alternative/heavy metal power ballad to me... Megadeth's Cryptic Writings comes to mind. Ballads like these are really hit and miss... but when they connect with me, I love them. It's a really poppy sound, but good pop is good.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

A lot of symphonic melodeath is generic and just not hard enough for me. Mors Principium Est's Embers of a Dying World is a delightful exception. It's familiar, but the production and execution are top-notch.

Enlarge Image

Reclaim the Sun

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 am Lol... after reading this was the band's first ever track with clean vocals, it probably came as a shock to many. The vocalist sounds like she could pull it off all the time though.
White-Gluz has done clean vocals quite a bit. I saw her do a few songs with Kamelot that were quite good.

I’ve never liked Arch Enemy’s music much, but they do put on a decent live show.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sudy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 am Lol... after reading this was the band's first ever track with clean vocals, it probably came as a shock to many.
I don't mind them doing songs with clean vocals at all. She is a great clean vocalist (see Kamelot), but I just think the song sucks. I also didn't really like the style of vocals she chose to use although I guess it was appropriate for the song. When she belts out vocals in the chorus of whatever Kamelot song I heard her in she's awesome. I hope if she does clean vocals again it's in a more uptempo song.
Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I tried to get into Kamelot when I saw they'd be touring here, but the tracks I sampled didn't speak to me. It's weird how you can love some stuff in a particular style or subgenre, but just won't dig certain acts. Listening to them again now, they're not so bad. Stuff this upbeat doesn't usually appeal to me though, if it's sincere (excepting some pure European power metal; e.g. it's hard to not to love Lost Horizon's Pure).

New Tribulation. It's pretty awesome:

Leviathans
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:shock:
Sudy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:09 pm
New Tribulations. It's pretty awesome:

Leviathans
Holy shit, how did I miss this?!?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've also really been enjoying Xandria, a symphonic German band that shares Orden Ogan's new bassist, Steven Wussow. (I looked him up after he liked a silly comment I made on FB.) The operatic vocals are fantastic. German and Finnish acts always seem to rub me the right way.

Nightfall

Interestingly, when listening to their song Call of the Wind (2013) I noticed part of the chorus (e.g. 0:50) was extremely familiar:

This is part of the The Wild Horde theme by Ennio Morricone, from a lesser known spaghetti western My Name Is Nobody (1973)!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The fans of my computer... did I misunderstand the question?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I really doubt that your computer is famous enough that it has fans.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:13 am I really doubt that your computer is famous enough that it has fans.
My computer is a Falcon Northwest which has over twenty-one thousand fans on Twitter.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Neptunian Maximalism's album "Eons" popped up on a couple year-end "best of" lists I read this morning.

I...honestly don't even know how to describe this (new age jazz metal drone trance fusion?) but I couldn't turn it off. It's completely nutso but also wildly entertaining. Bungle fans will likely love it.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's like I'm mainlining the early 90s right into my veins. The sound, the look and all the feels.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:20 am
Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:13 am I really doubt that your computer is famous enough that it has fans.
My computer is a Falcon Northwest which has over twenty-one thousand fans on Twitter.
...and almost that many inside the case.
Conform or be cast out!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Azarath's new album "Saint Desecration" is making a strong late push for 2020 Top 10 status. This is a side project led by Inferno (Behemoth drummer)that I didn't even know existed. Similar to Behemoth, but more of a standard death metal template. Really good hooks, fantastic production, and a "big" sound that I love.

Verikalpa's "Tuoppitanssi" album is an absolute blast. It's the basic humppa-humppa folk metal template, but done to perfection. Full album can be streamed on their Bandcamp page here.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Digging the new Mechina track this morning. While I doubt they'll ever get back to the heights of the Acheron album, this one sounds pretty promising.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everything's cool and everything's smoove.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another fine cover by the Russian girl.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

listening through TMBG's discography, i heard _No!_ for the first time since it came out, and i forgot that it's actually really good. even keeping in mind that it's a kid's album and thus the weirdness/morbidity has been toned down/removed, they sound reinvigorated and possessed of purpose. it still stands out as the band's most concentrated and best effort album since _Apollo 18_, imho.