[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 pm I would consider it a personal gift from the universe if Jeff shows up next week complaining that they tried to charge him to watch episode 6. Image
Look, the law is clear that if you stream one episode for free, you have to let people watch the rest of the entire series unless they actively stop the streaming.
It is the way.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, it's Newtonian.

First law
In an inertial frame of reference, a show either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by someone with a remote.

Second law

In an inertial frame of reference, the vector sum of the forces F on a show is equal to the mass m of that show multiplied by the acceleration of the FF button on the remote : FF = ma. (It is assumed here that the mass m is constant – see below.)

Third law

When a thumb exerts a force on a remote, the remote simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the show.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 pm I would consider it a personal gift from the universe if Jeff shows up next week complaining that they tried to charge him to watch episode 6. :P
Says the person who has been entirely unhelpful these past few weeks.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

According to my source (the same source that was first to break the news that Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was happening), the series would follow the pattern already established by Star Trek: Picard and basically be Star Trek: Sisko. Cirroc Lofton, who played Ben Sisko’s son Jake on DS9, would co-star in the show along with Avery Brooks back as Sisko. No one else from the original Star Trek: Deep Space Nine cast is expected to be involved at all, at least not in the show’s first season. It’s worth noting that our source says: “CBS does not want Lofton to be part of it, yet Brooks is adamant that he will not do the show without him.”
CBS is still in early, early development on Star Trek: Sisko and there are a couple of big obstacles in the way of making it a reality. Our source tells us the biggest is Avery Brooks who is 72-years-old, long since retired, and not really interested in acting anymore. The suits at CBS are talking to him anyway and they believe that by making the show about racial injustice and the relationship between Star Trek’s first black Captain and his now grown son, they can get Brooks involved. These are themes Avery Brooks cares deeply about and making the show dedicated to pushing a specific message about racial inequality is really the only way they believe can get Brooks involved.

The other big obstacle here is Star Trek: Picard, which underperformed in its first season. The ratings weren’t good and before CBS is willing to greenlight Star Trek: Sisko they’re going to wait and see if the ratings for Picard improve in season 2. They’re optimistic about that and if there’s a strong uptick in Picard’s ratings, then expect to hear more about them moving forward with Star Trek: Sisko.
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/e ... vival.html
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm 1,000% in to see more Benjamin Sisko. But at the same time, how do you tell a story about racial injustice in a Star Trek universe where the Federation has all but eliminated racism (particularly in a universe where common interactions with aliens would I think have made intra-human race less significant anyway)?
Black Lives Matter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

errr so anyway is this where we discuss Discovery? The first 2 eps of season 3 have been pretty cool.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Petition to rename this thread: Star Trek Randomness
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And for someone to drive to Syracuse and drag Odin back here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rittchard wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm errr so anyway is this where we discuss Discovery? The first 2 eps of season 3 have been pretty cool.
Yes.

I feel like the focus being on Morgan this last two seasons has really hurt the show creatively. His frequent crises of conscious are getting annoying at this point.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm taking that with a grain of salt, as Brooks has really let himself go, and unlike Stewart who's always been active in the scene, I don't think he's done any acting. The other thing that makes me skeptical that this is a thing being worked on, is that while they say Picard has underperformed, it's based on one of their top series in the franchise, so in this case, I really can't see them going after DS9 which was a series that was rather the opposite at the time of first airing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:21 pm
rittchard wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm errr so anyway is this where we discuss Discovery? The first 2 eps of season 3 have been pretty cool.
Yes.

I feel like the focus being on Morgan this last two seasons has really hurt the show creatively. His frequent crises of conscious are getting annoying at this point.
uhh, who is Morgan?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of the characters on Fear the Walking Dead.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:21 pm
Yes.

uhh, who is Morgan?
The kung-fu zombie-killer, of course.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 pm I'm taking that with a grain of salt, as Brooks has really let himself go, and unlike Stewart who's always been active in the scene, I don't think he's done any acting.
I don't want Avery Brooks trying to look like he did 30 years ago. I want Avery Brooks aged to where he would be in that timeline. This belief that these actors have to be thin and appear ageless is crap. :naughty:
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It was very nice to see Jake Weber in a Star Trek series.

I did like the Western feel of the scenes in that outpost, but some of the slow-motion shots in this episode felt a bit too contrived for me.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:49 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 pm I'm taking that with a grain of salt, as Brooks has really let himself go, and unlike Stewart who's always been active in the scene, I don't think he's done any acting.
I don't want Avery Brooks trying to look like he did 30 years ago. I want Avery Brooks aged to where he would be in that timeline. This belief that these actors have to be thin and appear ageless is crap. :naughty:
Yeah, I agree with you there. And it's another reason why this probably won't happen. They would probably use the excuse that while he was in the wormhole, time was stopped for him and try to age him backwards via CGI. It sounds like a bad idea all around. Just wish they'd let things be.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:49 pm
But this is Star Trek, where people live to be 130.

Of course, it doesn't help matters that Patrick Stewart just naturally* looks ageless.

*Or is a vampire or something.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

He just literally got his mind transferred to a new body :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don’t remind me of that crappy ending.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd love to see a followup to DS9, even if it was only one season. Sisko was kind of left hanging there at the end. Unfortunately, two of my other favorite characters (Nog and Odo) are no longer around.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 am I'd love to see a followup to DS9, even if it was only one season. Sisko was kind of left hanging there at the end. Unfortunately, two of my other favorite characters (Nog and Odo) are no longer around.
Quark and Garak are both alive and working. I would subscribe to see them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DS9 is perfect for a closure mini series or TV movie.

Side note: I always forget that Andrew Robinson (Garak) is a well established, well respected actor who has appeared in everything from Hellraiser to Dirty Harry. I was watching the presentation of Hellraiser on Joe Bob Briggs' Shudder series a while back and Joe Bob pretty much gushed over Robinson. Apparently he's considered a great character actor who also used to be the director of USC's acting school.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 am I'd love to see a followup to DS9, even if it was only one season. Sisko was kind of left hanging there at the end. Unfortunately, two of my other favorite characters (Nog and Odo) are no longer around.
Actually, if anything, he had a perfect end to his journey. I don't see how they could improve on it.

Oh hell yes, Hep, Garak was perhaps my favourite character. Did you read the novel Robinson wrote, A Stitch in Time?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rumpy wrote:
Actually, if anything, he had a perfect end to his journey. I don't see how they could improve on it.

Oh hell yes, Hep, Garak was perhaps my favourite character. Did you read the novel Robinson wrote, A Stitch in Time?
Anyone who's enjoyed Garak's character should really read A Stitch in Time. It really adds even more dimension to the character and it's a tale of sadness, regret, and hope and redemption.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DS9 spoilers.
Spoiler:
Sisko's ending was just a metaphysical cliffhanger, and I always thought it needed to be wrapped up, including what happened his pregnant wife. Plus the fact that Jake and his unborn child would both be part Prophet, whatever that means. He achieved his destiny, yes, but he left behind all of his commitments and responsibilities doing it. That's unfinished business.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Rumpy wrote:

Anyone who's enjoyed Garak's character should really read A Stitch in Time. It really adds even more dimension to the character and it's a tale of sadness, regret, and hope and redemption.
Agreed! And it's not just a good Trek novel, but a well-written fiction piece overall.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ll check it out. I usually avoid novels and short stories that continue the tales of established characters because I’ve been burned by some of that crap in the past. The quality is very hit and miss. But I’ll give Robinson’s effort a go.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The great thing about Robinson's novel is that since he knows his character so well, they left him to create his backstory, and the result is a novel that is above-average in terms of Trek novels, one that stands on its own very well. It explains how he became a Tailor and ended up on DS9, but it also explains Cardassia in general. It's one of my favorite Trek novels ever.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really should hate the character Georgiou on Discovery. Her very presence makes no sense in the show. But darn it, Michelle Yeoh makes her so damn fun. :wub:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:25 pm I really should hate the character Georgiou on Discovery. Her very presence makes no sense in the show. But darn it, Michelle Yeoh makes her so damn fun. :wub:
I’m glad she’s in this season. Haven’t started it yet but it’s getting close to the time to restart my CBS All Access subscription!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She’s the Klingon of the show, but she leans into it instead of doing the usual “I wanna be good” shtick. Watching her screw with people is just...well...fun.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm She’s the Klingon of the show, but she leans into it instead of doing the usual “I wanna be good” shtick. Watching her screw with people is just...well...fun.
I like the actress, though so far she's felt mostly extraneous. She seems to be solely on the show to have this conversation once or twice an episode:

Georgiou: Shouldn't we just be evil and kill everyone?
Starfleet Character: No, we are Starfleet, we don't do evil things like that.
Georgiou: [Pouts]
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I completely agree. Like I said, she's someone I should hate for many reasons. But they all disappear when Michelle Yeoh gets that smirk on her face just prior to messing with someone.

Also, from her latest episode appearance
Spoiler:
I find it fascinating that 900 years AFTER the advanced world of the Federation that we're all familiar with, the Feds build holograms that are vulnerable to what is basically a Distributed Denial of Service attack.
And this little tidbit was cool
Spoiler:
I like the discovery that the Feds of 900 years from now are completely aware of the "Terran Empire" (mirror universe) and recognize them as a race/empire.
By the way, there were numerous little Star Trek easter eggs in this last episode that I enjoyed. I'm glad they seem to be embracing more and more the long history of the show.
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Discovery this season is just fantastic, really loving the whole thing. It does bug me occasionally that this relatively "old tech" ship (it's supposed to be pre-Star Trek TOS right?) and crew is so superior to... pretty much everyone. I know we kind of have to suspend belief for the show to work at all, so as long as I shut that part of my brain down I'm good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On that, I think
Spoiler:
The Burn was a huge setback that pretty much drove them back to the dark ages of travel, technologically speaking. They still have a ton of great tech that isn't propulsion based though. My issue is that in the hundreds and hundreds of years BEFORE the Burn, no one came up with an alternative to dilithium? That's like finding out that in the year 2400, folks are still using unleaded gasoline in their vehicles.
Also, I keep forgetting to mention the "holy shit" moment of this week's episode!
Spoiler:
That was David F'ing Cronenberg interviewing Michelle Yeoh! :shock:
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'll spoil this even though it's just a guess on my part
Spoiler:
The Burn was caused by the exploding red angel suit in the time stream. I think it entered the timestream before it exploded. So Michael BURNham caused the Burn. Probably too obvious to be true
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Odo has to be a hell of a lover, right? Unlimited flexibility. Plus like you could basically do it with any celebrity that you wanted.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finally got caught up on Discovery. (Season 2, and 3 to this point.) So yeah, Anson Mount is awesome. But I already knew that from Hell on Wheels. I'm not sold on another new Spock, but thought Ethan Peck did a fine job in general. I just don't understand why Michael had to be adopted by that Vulcan family? Other than the need to have a human foster parent. (And brand familiarity.) Actually, I think James Frain is a fantastic Sarek and Mia Kirshner is a fine Amanda. I just can't find an acceptable reason to recast Spock. And I know this can be handwaved as being a different universe, but I just find it so hard to wrap my mind around Spock having had a "secret" human foster sister for the entirety of TOS. Sybok was bad enough, but that was at least conceivable given it occurred at a time when we didn't have oodles of backstory. (And yes, we should all just forget Star Trek V existed altogether....)

I guess I'm still not sold on the time period they decided to set Discovery in. But, these gripes aside, I find it to be a thrilling, well done show. Yes, it's a less thoughtful Star Trek. That disappoints me, but I can accept it. Zooming through the debris field in the first episode of season 2, and the battle at the end of the season had me on the edge of my seat even though I watched them on my phone. I feel like the latter was overdone in the vein of Abrams-Trek and Picard's climax, but it was still gorgeous to watch. Still such a far cry from the ship-on-ship tension of the earlier series'/movies' naval-esque battles though. But I accept the only way to enjoy this is to stop making those comparisons.

I find myself wondering if the serial format just doesn't work for Trek, though. At least, not to this degree. DS9 did it, but it felt like there were still a lot of pauses and standalone episodes in those later seasons. As much as I didn't like Enterprise, I think maybe it found the the best balance with its shorter arcs. In Discovery season 2 it felt like they were shoehorning episodic content into the serial story at times. If the proposed Pike-Enterprise spin-off happens with the suggested more episodic format, I'll be curious to see where it goes.

I never tire of time travel so I'm really enjoying season 3 so far... I loved the opening. I can respect that the show isn't necessarily holding anything back for future seasons. But I'm suffering from "I didn't think this is what it would be like" syndrome. This is very much the future of Discovery's Trek, not TNG's. Or at least, it doesn't feel that way, regardless of whether it's a unified universe. Not specific to season 3, but I just can't accept the new Klingons. Even now that they have hair, after the second-stupidest retcon of all time. The Andorians and Orions--while timeline-appropriate (at least... in Discovery's original one they were)--feel out of sync with Discovery's modern sensibilities. It probably would have been the same in Enterprise were it not for Jeffrey Combs being awesome.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg