Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

wonderpug

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by wonderpug »

I just did a grocery run this morning and the frozen pizza section looked like it had been attacked by a flock of hungry badgers. Almost everything else was somewhat reasonably stocked, but frozen pizza is the first hot item this lockdown.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Everything was looking well stocked on Sunday morning when I went. We'll see what it's like next Sunday.

I haven't really dipped into my stocks from last time, although I've rotating through the frozen meats (using old stuff, then buying more to freeze).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thursday afternoons are my grocery day. Tomorrow I'm going to plan menus for two weeks, since the following Thurs. is a holiday and I won't want to shop at all during that week. I made two-week runs a few times at the start of the pandemic to minimize my grocery trips, and it worked out OK. There are only a few fresh things that won't keep for two weeks (e.g., mushrooms for pizza). If I center it around casseroles and soups, I only have to cook every 2-3 days.

I maintained my hoard of paper and dry goods throughout the summer, so I don't need to restock anything in bulk. I'm good for at least a month on everything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have to go out Thanksgiving Day if the store is open. A local food store has a deli and they rotate what they sell each day. Thursdays is chicken & dressing. I want some dressing. But this Thursday is too early. So Im hoping they are open and have some Thanksgiving Day. Im worried how many might be there too. But me and my wife used to drive to the mall for Thanksgiving dinner and I dont recall it being bad. So maybe a local food store will be ok.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I did my grocery trip today and saw that toilet-paper rationing was back in place: one package per customer (so naturally the largest packs were sold out).

This was surprising since I heard that the toilet-paper issues of March and April were due not to actual shortages but to separate supply chains (one for the home bathroom market, one for businesses). I thought they had worked it out in the meantime.

Maybe there has just been runs on TP since the COVID numbers got worse again.

I'd hate to be strained on toilet paper. Fortunately we've bought ahead, so you could say we're pretty... flush.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:29 pmI should have bought a still though.
Figure out something soon. Everyone should have a hobby to carry them until March.
Ha! Trust...plans are moving forward for a new hobby. Gonna get my worm bin up and running again too in anticipation of next year's Victory Over Covid Garden. That'll totally be a thing next year, right? RIGHT?

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:36 pm I have jugs...
Hell yeah you do!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 pmHa! Trust...plans are moving forward for a new hobby. Gonna get my worm bin up and running again too in anticipation of next year's Victory Over Covid Garden. That'll totally be a thing next year, right? RIGHT?
From your lips to Bob's ears...

Hell yeah you do!
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Today's 2-week grocery run was nominal. Took a long time, but that's because the damned store reorganized and things are in weird places. The only strikeouts were wax paper (again) and parchment paper...and they have imposed limits on paper towel and bog roll. I noticed enormous freezer cases of turkeys. As a turkey apostate, IDK if that means they aren't selling as many as they expected, or if most people just haven't bought theirs yet.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what the christ do people use so many paper towels for? there are such things as washable dish cloths, kitchen towels and regular old rags, seriously.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:07 am what the christ do people use so many paper towels for? there are such things as washable dish cloths, kitchen towels and regular old rags, seriously.
I should introduce you to Wife. I'm just thrilled when she wipes up anything.

A package of paper towels would last me 6 months. Well, maybe 3, since they're also Polish napkins.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:07 am what the christ do people use so many paper towels for? there are such things as washable dish cloths, kitchen towels and regular old rags, seriously.
Less sanitary. We go through a six pack a week...probably would use less if I splurged on higher quality. The shitty stuff takes larger wads to clean up spills. They also double as napkins, snot rags, and, just a few minutes ago, dog vomit remover.

We have kitchen towels hanging on the oven door handle...somehow they go from too pristine to soil to untouchably nasty without my ever using them.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

bucket of cloth rags - use each one once, and they go into the washing machine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:17 pm bucket of cloth rags - use each one once, and they go into the washing machine
Yeah, we keep a roll of paper towels in the trunk of the car for spills and emergency windshield cleaning. Never use them in the house.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You people with your washing machines and your space to keep buckets of things and your not having to drive across town to the redneck laundromat!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

or just, you know, a few of these
One Swedish Dishcloth replaces 17 rolls of paper towels. They absorb 20x their weight and are far more hygienic than a sponge and won’t crumble or pill. They air dry quickly, so it doesn’t breed bacteria or smell.
and at the end of their usable life they can be composted. i have a few and they're great
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They have a display of those right as you walk into Menards. Can't get past the "Sham."
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Went to the store today. Everything seems to be in stock, including eggs, TP and paper towels.
Of course this is one of the days they get restocked.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paper towels and toilet paper:

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I imagine you use those plastic cups similarly to how you use three seashells?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm I imagine you use those plastic cups similarly to how you use three seashells?
You mean the miniature bedpans?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My Sunday trip to the grocery store was pretty typical. Fully stocked (although the broth area was a bit low, but I attribute that to T-Day preparations).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You tell me on a Tuesday that broth was sketch on Sunday?

What am I supposed to do for broth now? WHAT NOW???

(what is "broth"?)

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Broth is basically soup with everything removed from it. Soup juice. More urgently, what's the difference between broth and stock?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not stocking anything as nothing is stocked in stores. Still not finding stuff I like or want. Dollar General has kept losing more and more stuff I use so theres no point in me ever going to them again.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a half broth.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you employ someone to make broth, does that make them your brother?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 am Broth is basically soup with everything removed from it. Soup juice. More urgently, what's the difference between broth and stock?
I dunno but bouillon cubes are for making stock and broth is what is come from meat. This suggests to me it's difference between a base from bones and a base from meat.

I'm sure Izzy will be along shortly to google it for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Broth is meat. Stock is bones.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only ever buy vegetable broth and stock, so meat and bones aren't the answer. The products are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:04 am I only ever buy vegetable broth and stock, so meat and bones aren't the answer. The products are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.
That's like saying that you only buy vegetarian hamburgers, so beef isn't the answer. Vegetable stock =/= stock. Without modifiers stock is boiled bones, broth is boiled meat (both sometimes with vegetables or flavorings added.)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 am Broth is basically soup with everything removed from it. Soup juice. More urgently, what's the difference between broth and stock?
I'm only quoting this one because it's the first place where I saw your avatar change.... W.T.F.???? I find the image more than a little disturbing. Is that a child vampire or something? Yikes! (Or maybe it's just too early in the morning for me and I need to finish my coffee.)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:24 am
I'm only quoting this one because it's the first place where I saw your avatar change.... W.T.F.???? I find the image more than a little disturbing. Is that a child vampire or something? Yikes! (Or maybe it's just too early in the morning for me and I need to finish my coffee.)
It's Bat Boy!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I stock up on this:

Last edited by gilraen on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was joking with "what is broth" but now I'm glad I asked.

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Stock gets extra flavor and thickness from the bones and dissolved collagen. Vegetable stock is fake stock.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:30 am
It's Bat Boy!
Indeed. Bat Boy enjoyed more than his 15 minutes of fame in the '90s; we even saw a local production of Bat Boy: the Musical. You can see from the wiki how much ink he got.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

See that? That's the expression on Kraken's face after he consumes vegetable stroth, that is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, last March on all of the good advice here, I put back a meaningful amount of food - about three totes worth of efficient food (high protein, high calorie, easy too cook without extra supplies, etc.) It was early. We were all naive. I planned for six months. It's well past that, so today I decided to do an inventory. I ended up removing close to half of everything I had stored due to expiration dates that have either recently passed, or will in the next month. That goes into regular circulation (while some stuff might be stale, there's nothing that will spoil if it's a bit past the date.)

So, now I'm left with a dilemma: Do I restock? Or do I stay with half of what I originally put back? It's expensive, and it takes space that we don't have (it's seriously a problem.) Not restocking means that we have almost a full shopping trip's worth of groceries that we paid for last spring, saving us a couple of hundred right before Christmas. On the one hand, it's nice having it there. It's a level of security. On the other hand, I've still got half, enough for the four of us to get by for at least a ten days to two weeks, longer if we go into 'emergency' mode. We have three or four days worth of water back, too. And the panic that we (the societal we) had in spring has subsided. Supply lines have changed. I'm less concerned about a run on the stores and not being able to find dinner. Of course, the next couple of months have the potential to be the worst yet.

So, stick with the two weeks, save a bunch of money, and reclaim space? Or bulk it back up?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:59 am I ended up removing close to half of everything I had stored due to expiration dates that have either recently passed, or will in the next month. That goes into regular circulation (while some stuff might be stale, there's nothing that will spoil if it's a bit past the date.)
Expiration dates on food are nonsense; it's a quality issue not a safety issue. Unless you have stuff in cans that are bulging, dented or leaking, they're fine, assuming you're not storing the canned goods at high temperature (like in an attic). Canned meats are likely safe for ~36-48 months after the listed expiration date, possibly longer depending on the person you're talking to and the way they were held.

Packages of other shelf-stable dry goods? I wouldn't be worried about them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go