R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Skinypupy »

Not sure if this one is deserving of it's own thread or not. Still a little fuzzy on those guidelines.

Maradona dies of a heart attack at 60

Love him or hate him (I tended towards the latter), the dude's talent on the pitch was remarkable.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holy crap!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

At first glance, I read that as Madonna. I doubt I'm the only one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pm At first glance, I read that as Madonna. I doubt I'm the only one.
You were not.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also Madonna.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:43 pm Not sure if this one is deserving of it's own thread or not. Still a little fuzzy on those guidelines.
I think it goes... if you knew who they were and liked them, they get their own thread.

Examples (not actually dead yet!)

Own Thread:

- Heathcliff Slocumb
- The woman with a streak of white hair who used to be on Bon Appétit
- Nardwuar the Human Serviette

General R.I.P. Thread:

- An alleged heir to the Holy Roman Empire
- Any man named Toddathan Madondovich
- Whoever the fuck has ever won a Juno, Canada's version of the Grammys. Does anyone know? Probably Celine Dion and Nickelback.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:43 pm Not sure if this one is deserving of it's own thread or not. Still a little fuzzy on those guidelines.

Maradona dies of a heart attack at 60

Love him or hate him (I tended towards the latter), the dude's talent on the pitch was remarkable.
God wanted his hand back.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

If there is any doubt, give them their own thread.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Why should they get a thread of you have doubt that they are dead?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:14 pm Why should they get a thread of you have doubt that they are dead?
So what if it's a bit premature? It's gonna happen to everyone, right?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

McNutt wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:10 pm If there is any doubt, give them their own thread.
+1. It is never wrong to give someone their own thread.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Do you unfriend people from Facebook when they die?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:40 pm Do you unfriend people from Facebook when they die?
Depends on who ends up in control of their account.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've unfriended one and left two and have no idea if anyone got control of their account.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:40 pm Do you unfriend people from Facebook when they die?
No, but it is a little creepy when I get birthday reminders. What is possibly worse are zombie accounts where the people died and you didn't even know it.

Last year, my cousin asked for contact info on one of my dad's cousin's in Wisconsin -- he was planning a visit and wanted to drop by. I discovered I was no longer FB friends with the guy, then I Googled his name, and discovered he died in September, 2017.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:03 pm
No, but it is a little creepy when I get birthday reminders. What is possibly worse are zombie accounts where the people died and you didn't even know it.
When dad passed, we switched his FB account to “Sknypupy’s Dad Memorial” instead of just “Skinypupy’s Dad”. He still gets “happy birthday, hope you’re doing great!” messages posted on his wall from a few people every year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I should check out my mom's wall just to see what's been posted in the 5 years she's been gone. She was 2 years in the ground when we moved to this house, but somehow the junkmail bots decided she must be here now. I give these to my 4 year old daughter who was named for her, and she's excited to get mail and looks it over thoroughly. Yesterday, she got some Dell junk mail, and picked out a computer she wants. :shock:
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Dave Prowse: Darth Vader actor dies aged 85
Dave Prowse, the Bristolian former bodybuilder best known for playing Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy, has died aged 85.

Prowse was cast as Vader for his imposing physique, even though the role was voiced by James Earl Jones.

But the weightlifter-turned-actor was most proud of playing the Green Cross Code Man. The role, promoting road safety in the UK, earned him an MBE.

"May the force be with him, always!" said his agent Thomas Bowington.

"Though famous for playing many monsters - for myself, and all who knew Dave and worked with him, he was a hero in our lives."
HamillHimself wrote:So sad to hear David Prowse has passed. He was a kind man & much more than Darth Vader. Actor-Husband-Father-Member of the Order of the British Empire-3 time British Weightlifting Champion & Safety Icon the Green Cross Code Man. He loved his fans as much as they loved him. #RIP
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP to the guy. Always seemed happy with his work. Ive heard him speaking the lines with the full Vader suit on. Its better that Earl redubbed them :) But still a great guy. Time is a flying away.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I never realized how olde he was. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:54 pm I should check out my mom's wall just to see what's been posted in the 5 years she's been gone. She was 2 years in the ground when we moved to this house, but somehow the junkmail bots decided she must be here now. I give these to my 4 year old daughter who was named for her, and she's excited to get mail and looks it over thoroughly. Yesterday, she got some Dell junk mail, and picked out a computer she wants. :shock:
I hope she specced one with a proper GPU!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hugh Keays-Byrne, English-Australian actor, 73

Known best by North Americans and geeks as the villain in the original Mad Max, as well as Fury Road (different character). Also played a recurring role on Farscape.

Enlarge Image

I didn't see the original Mad Max until probably 15 years ago. It was odd and dated, but even then Toecutter was a menacing villain. The actor's return to the franchise over 35 years later to play the memorable Immortan Joe was legendary.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aww geez. He was fun to watch do his job. I had no idea he was in Farscape. Least I dont recall his part. RIP fella.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grunchlk. And I had to look it up.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Sudy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 am
Kelric wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 pm My wife's parents are each one of nine and only three of the 30+ aunt/uncles/married aunts/uncles have passed before she met me. The youngest sibling on her mother's side died unexpectedly on 10/30, the first of those nine siblings, via heart attack. On Sunday, my mother's partner and wife of 25 years died at 68 after years of suffering from Alzheimer's.

2020. What a year.
Delayed reply, but it really has been. My condolences. In the past 12 months, my wife lost her grandmother, and I lost two grandparents and two great uncles. And my cat. Only one was directly attibutable to Covid, but it made the rest all the more challenging. Some funerals were skipped. Others were capped at a small number of attendees and felt unreal. I don't mean to make it a score card; some have endured far worse... and most of the family we lost had lived long lives. It's just so tough when you're hit with so many losses at once. It feels like a generation has been wiped out. Similar happened to the other side of the family several years ago. I find it silly to "blame the year" for its horrible events. But it definitely hasn't been my favourite.
Yeah, it sucks. I'm perfectly willing to blame the year though since it has been so ridiculous; I think it makes it easier to deal with as it is an 'event' and not just random happenstance. We also had to put down our favorite cat right at my wife's birthday after he developed an intestinal tumor (he was about 12ish and was the snuggliest cat I've ever seen), and while we haven't lost anyone to Covid we've known a half dozen or so who've caught it and been pretty sick. We're fortunate that both her and I have been working from home (and will be until next summer at the earliest) and that our kids are young enough that while only one has to deal with remote kindergarten, the three year old thinks that everyone being home all the time is just how life is.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kelric wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:11 am
Sudy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 am
Kelric wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 pm My wife's parents are each one of nine and only three of the 30+ aunt/uncles/married aunts/uncles have passed before she met me. The youngest sibling on her mother's side died unexpectedly on 10/30, the first of those nine siblings, via heart attack. On Sunday, my mother's partner and wife of 25 years died at 68 after years of suffering from Alzheimer's.

2020. What a year.
Delayed reply, but it really has been. My condolences. In the past 12 months, my wife lost her grandmother, and I lost two grandparents and two great uncles. And my cat. Only one was directly attibutable to Covid, but it made the rest all the more challenging. Some funerals were skipped. Others were capped at a small number of attendees and felt unreal. I don't mean to make it a score card; some have endured far worse... and most of the family we lost had lived long lives. It's just so tough when you're hit with so many losses at once. It feels like a generation has been wiped out. Similar happened to the other side of the family several years ago. I find it silly to "blame the year" for its horrible events. But it definitely hasn't been my favourite.
Yeah, it sucks. I'm perfectly willing to blame the year though since it has been so ridiculous; I think it makes it easier to deal with as it is an 'event' and not just random happenstance. We also had to put down our favorite cat right at my wife's birthday after he developed an intestinal tumor (he was about 12ish and was the snuggliest cat I've ever seen), and while we haven't lost anyone to Covid we've known a half dozen or so who've caught it and been pretty sick. We're fortunate that both her and I have been working from home (and will be until next summer at the earliest) and that our kids are young enough that while only one has to deal with remote kindergarten, the three year old thinks that everyone being home all the time is just how life is.
Sorry about your cat. The humans, too, but I'm more attuned to cats.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken has a random avatar generator..neat :)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I thought it was the Heinz Ketchup logo....

Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:44 pm Hugh Keays-Byrne, English-Australian actor, 73

Known best by North Americans and geeks as the villain in the original Mad Max, as well as Fury Road (different character). Also played a recurring role on Farscape.

Enlarge Image

I didn't see the original Mad Max until probably 15 years ago. It was odd and dated, but even then Toecutter was a menacing villain. The actor's return to the franchise over 35 years later to play the memorable Immortan Joe was legendary.
Sad to hear this news.

I randomly re-watched the original Mad Max about two weeks ago. The feeling of a civilization winding down (but not there yet) was tougher to take than I recall. And the Toecutter is far more disturbing than I remembered.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

David Lander
Actor David Lander, best known as Squiggy on the ABC sitcom “Laverne & Shirley,” died Friday evening at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his family confirmed to Variety. He was 73.

Lander died of complications related to multiple sclerosis, which he battled for 37 years. Since he went public with his diagnosis in 1999, Lander has worked closely with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, speaking out about his experience at related conferences.
Lander most recently voiced Rumpelstiltskin in Disney’s children’s show, “Goldie & Bear,” and Donnie the Shark in an episode of “SpongeBob Squarepants” in 2016.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He was my favorite character in Laverne & Shirley. RIP
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

No, but they should unfriend you.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Hellooo!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 pm David Lander
Actor David Lander, best known as Squiggy on the ABC sitcom “Laverne & Shirley,” died Friday evening at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his family confirmed to Variety. He was 73.

Lander died of complications related to multiple sclerosis, which he battled for 37 years. Since he went public with his diagnosis in 1999, Lander has worked closely with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, speaking out about his experience at related conferences.
Lander most recently voiced Rumpelstiltskin in Disney’s children’s show, “Goldie & Bear,” and Donnie the Shark in an episode of “SpongeBob Squarepants” in 2016.
My wife related to him and kept track of him because he had MS like she does.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

RIP Neil Armstrong

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I kept thinking "Again?" .

RIP

And holy geez he lived a LONG time after he retired. Most people dont see 10 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I usually don't because someone close to them will sometimes reach out through the account to announce news to the friends of the deceased.

But it's always sad when Facebook gives you the automated "It's [dead friend]'s birthday today! Wish them well!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:05 pm I kept thinking "Again?" .
:lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 pm
I usually don't because someone close to them will sometimes reach out through the account to announce news to the friends of the deceased.

But it's always sad when Facebook gives you the automated "It's [dead friend]'s birthday today! Wish them well!"
Linkedin will do that with "job anniversaries", too.
Conform or be cast out!