Diablo 3 - Season 22

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Diablo 3 - Season 22

Post by coopasonic »

I brought it up in another thread and I didn't want to derail that further.

Season 22 - The Clone Wars... not the official name, but when you activate a shrine/pylon you spawn a shadow of yourself that go on a wrecking spree. I had a few days between other games so I picked it up again, kind of like a comfort food. I am probably at my second highest paragon level in a season ever (not saying all that much) and having a lot of fun with it. I even started a second character to get more drops to help my son.
TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:59 am I do enjoy it more when I have a goal. The last few/handful of seasons the carrot was completing all the chapters and getting the extra stash tab. I think I've now gotten all the stash tabs that I can. So I was thinking maybe it would be worth it for the new pet. Unfortunately, I think this season is going to be a no-go. There are a few of the conquests that I can't do (or don't want to invest the effort to do). And this time they served up all of them. I think there is only one conquest that I'll be able to knock out. Since I need 3 to complete everything.... :cry:
Yeah my son was asking about the later chapters as he's never gone past the stuff for the season set and he asked about the conquests and told him stuff like picking up lots of gold and how people did that then we looked at the list and it... isn't friendly.

I am double mad because the monk season set doesn't have a set dungeon. I mean I can do Sunwoku and it's practically the same (Sweeping/Tempest) but I'm annoyed I have to do that. Do I have all the gear, of course I do, but that's doesn't make me happy about it!

I geared up a GoD Demon Hunter to help my son get the drops he needs for his demon hunter as he decided not to use the season set. I just finished the first iteration this morning so I am not sure where it rates just yet. Slaughters T4, gets slaughtered T16 so somewhere in between. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Re: Diablo 3 - Season 22

Post by pr0ner »

I am not sure I need the temptation to fire this game up again, and yet...
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:49 pm I am not sure I need the temptation to fire this game up again, and yet...
When was the last time you played? If it has been a while I think it is at least worth a revisit. As TheMix and I mentioned in BlackHawk's thread if you want a speedy boost to the end game, where the actual action and fun is, we can help with that as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My initial take on the new DH GoD set is that it's the best DH build available. I haven't even fully tweaked it yet and I demolish T16. I've tried all the DH sets, and this one is both stronger and easier (i.e. less fiddly).

I'd be happy to do a run with you sometime to show you how it performs. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As for set dungeons, I don't think that any of the new sets have a dungeon yet. I don't know if they are planning them. Probably not. Also, all of the class sets this time are the new sets for the respective classes. So, if you are looking at the conquest to master set dungeons, you'd have the same problem with any of the classes.

It's also worth noting that that conquest is likely not worth it. When Blizz revamped everything to make all the classes to way more damage (and added 3 more Torment levels), they didn't touch the set dungeons. Which means that may of them are impossible to do without severely gimping your character. Which is the main reason I usually level a Barbarian. They have one of the few set dungeons that you can run without having to contort your build and playstyle. Requirements like "hit the mobs with this ability and then, while they are under the influence, hit them with a second ability" don't work when the first ability kills them. :grund:

If the conquest just said "complete" the set dungeons, it would probably be doable. But "master"-ing them? Ugh.

Leveling the gems, The Thrill, killing 350+ mobs for chest event... those are all pretty easy. But the timed ones? Not so much. However... if we grouped up, we might be able to swing them. The main reason I don't usually mess with them is because you really need a group of 4 to pull them off. So that you can have people doing different things.

All of which is a long way of saying, if you want the extra stash tabs, it's probably better to just wait for a season with easier conquests. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oh I know GoD. I ran GoD I think the season it was introduced and for me it was on par with Whirlrend Barb. They were neck and neck for my highest GR builds and ease of use.

I just wasn't sure about the state of this specific incarnation as I haven't optimized the gear or stolen Trapped/Stricken from my Monk yet and also running two Dex builds is a pain in the Emeralds.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:54 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:49 pm I am not sure I need the temptation to fire this game up again, and yet...
When was the last time you played? If it has been a while I think it is at least worth a revisit. As TheMix and I mentioned in BlackHawk's thread if you want a speedy boost to the end game, where the actual action and fun is, we can help with that as well.
Also, Blizz seriously overhauled all the classes. They all do way more damage. I've been able to do T16 on most of the builds for most of the classes. I still struggle a bit with the Wizard; and I think the last time I was checking them, the Necromancer was a bit weak. But most of them have multiple builds that will cruise.

Also, I use icy-veins.com for all my builds. Sometimes I tweak them a bit, but mostly I stay pretty close.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:23 pm Oh I know GoD. I ran GoD I think the season it was introduced and for me it was on par with Whirlrend Barb. They were neck and neck for my highest GR builds and ease of use.

I just wasn't sure about the state of this specific incarnation as I haven't optimized the gear or stolen Trapped/Stricken from my Monk yet and also running two Dex builds is a pain in the Emeralds.
I think that you could run T16 without an emerald in your weapon. It would do fine. And Trapped was the last gem I leveled. I only recently got it to 25. I don't think it's that important. At least not for T16. It will matter when you start pushing higher GRs. I simply haven't bothered doing anything higher yet. I don't run Stricken either. I'm running the one that boosts the damage of Primary skills (and gives 4% health per hit!) and the Taeguk - which boosts damage based on channeling. I actually haven't checked to see what icy-veins recommends. But those two give solid damage bonuses (and defensive boosts).

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:22 pm All of which is a long way of saying, if you want the extra stash tabs, it's probably better to just wait for a season with easier conquests. :D
I have never bothered as once the season is over those characters are dead to me. All the fun is in going from rags to owning T16 and getting that first Primal and then... when does the next season start. It used to take me a couple weeks to go through that process. Now that I am more used to it, it's more like a couple days. One day if I bothered to have someone PL me. I joined one of the PL communities but never spoke up. I don't go off the deep end like most season players. I think this may be the first season where my equipped gems have gone past 50.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I still maintain my other characters. And I use any good gear from the season to replace less optimal gear on my non-season characters. I just don't have much reason to play them. :D

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm playing a monk this season because my son said the existing character had the worst portrait so I rerolled it without even looking at it to see if there was inventory worth saving. I will also never log into a non season character to get the mailed items form the character I rerolled or from my stash from last season. Non-season basically doesn't exist for me. I guess it would be nice if they came up with a way to make me care, but I don't see it happening.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm just too much of a packrat, I guess. I clear out my mail. I sort everything. I go through my non-season characters to spend the new Paragon levels. Etc., etc., etc.

I will say that looking at my non-season gems stacks is impressive.

Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ummm. That's a good question. Probably a couple years?
Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Then you might be in for a surprise. The set bonuses have been significantly increased. As well as the bonuses from most items. If you struggled at T4 before, expect to trounce T8 without trying. :D

Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:50 pm
Then you might be in for a surprise. The set bonuses have been significantly increased. As well as the bonuses from most items. If you struggled at T4 before, expect to trounce T8 without trying. :D
I found a couple old posts where we were talking about a Tal Rasha Wizard I built during one of the seasons back in 2018 that I could run T7-T8 with solo before I hit a wall and couldn't really do more. I wonder what she could do now.
Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:56 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:50 pm
I found a couple old posts where we were talking about a Tal Rasha Wizard I built during one of the seasons back in 2018 that I could run T7-T8 with solo before I hit a wall and couldn't really do more. I wonder what she could do now.
With a full set and any associated pieces? T12 easily. Probably T14-15. The biggest issue with the highest Torment levels is going to be getting 1-shotted. You can probably put out the DPS. I think the only one I was able to somewhat-comfortably run T16 with was an Archon build with the Vyr set. Which is now rated at mid-tier. 3 of the top 5 Wizard builds (per icy-veins) are Legacy of Dreams. That's one path I've refused to tackle. THAT would be a huge grind. I kind of feel like Blizz blew it with the LoD gem. Way too many of the top tier builds are LoD ones. Seems like that's a good indication that it wasn't a great idea. But to each their own, I guess. I suppose there are people that enjoy the grind to build a top notch LoD build.

Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What is a set dungeon anyway? I'm running Necro this season, should I care?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:55 pm What is a set dungeon anyway? I'm running Necro this season, should I care?
A challenge you need to complete with the full 6 piece set bonus of an equipment set. Basically there is a specific dungeon that is inaccessible unless you are wearing the right set and when you enter it, there are specific things you need to do (and not do) within a time limit to master the dungeon. Generally completing it requires killing everything within the time limit. Mastering it adds another condition that generally relates to the gear set bonus.

From memory, completing a set dungeon is a criteria for chapter 5 of the season and mastering one is a criteria for chapter 6. If you don't care about the rewards for the later chapters of the season, you don't need to care. You might want to check it out just to see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:58 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:55 pm What is a set dungeon anyway? I'm running Necro this season, should I care?
A challenge you need to complete with the full 6 piece set bonus of an equipment set. Basically there is a specific dungeon that is inaccessible unless you are wearing the right set and when you enter it, there are specific things you need to do (and not do) within a time limit to master the dungeon. Generally completing it requires killing everything within the time limit. Mastering it adds another condition that generally relates to the gear set bonus.

From memory, completing a set dungeon is a criteria for chapter 5 of the season and mastering one is a criteria for chapter 6. If you don't care about the rewards for the later chapters of the season, you don't need to care. You might want to check it out just to see.
I'd have to double check the chapters, but otherwise spot on. Unless one is trying to get the rewards from the later chapters (bank stash tab, pet, character frame), it's essentially pointless. And, really, a complete P.I.T.A.

Blizzard really needs to redo them. They are mostly broken right now. It used to be that you had to really focus and learn how the set bonuses worked in order to master the dungeons. Now you have to focus on gimping your gear and intentionally miss-spec'ing or you'll be too powerful to complete the objectives. Kind of like the old Morrowind/Oblivion days where you needed to make all the skills that you actually wanted to use Secondary skills to prevent yourself from lopsided leveling.

Black Lives Matter

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Forgive the noob question, but as a new player, is there any reason for me to create a season character?
I no longer post here.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:11 pm Forgive the noob question, but as a new player, is there any reason for me to create a season character?
Yes. Especially as a new character. :)

As part of the Season rewards, you will get a complete set of gear. This will allow you to progress much further and collect much more gear than if you were trying to collect the set pieces from RNG.

You can play the Season the same way (campaign mode) as the non-Season. The only reason to play non-Season is if you have other characters that have contributed to the Stash; and you want to be able to access that stuff. However, since you are a new character, your Stash is going to look the same either way. So play Season. Additionally, you'll benefit from the Season bonuses.

Black Lives Matter

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Wow, I'm glad I asked first then! Heh. Thanks very much for the advice mate. A-seasoning I will go!
I no longer post here.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'll join up if anyone is on tonight...or tomorrow...:D
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Season 23 launched last night. This season's theme, which will remain a permanent addition to the game, is an expansion of follower inventories. They can now equip all item slots. Some legendary items with utility roles have been updated to work on followers and will be labeled "emanate".

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

After Blackhawk and others mentioned they actually do re-play the campaign occasionally, I decided to give it a go to open the season. I don't think I've played this since before Reaper, so 6+ years ago. It's passable enough to pass the time, but I remember most of the story beats and I'm kind of bored. I think I'll drop it now that I've finished Act I. It's been nice to see and hear the few things you don't encounter in adventure mode though.

The story is just as bland as I remember it though. The environment and atmosphere are wonderful though... people always say it doesn't hold a candle to D2, but it did its own thing very well.

I don't know why I was so excited to get to fully gear followers. It's kind of neat, but it's just another thing to do. Despite understanding why they had to do it this way, it feels odd to, say, dress the Scoundrel in female WD's INT gear. Obviously, you don't see them in the gear. But it still seems out of place.

Also, someone's really got to start offering these poor people satchel insurance.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm playing a Barbarian, so all the gear is STR. Then I got the Skeleton Key. So I rebirthed a Demon Hunter and used her to create a bunch of DEX gear and reroll some existing gear for DEX.

I'm in the process of ramping up my Torment levels. I've got the DPS items now. But I'm missing some defense. And now that I don't have the templar healing me, I'm noticing it.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Season 24 and all that. Fake ethereals.

So uh... level 8 on my first character and Mang Song's Lesson drops on my wizard. 2,601.6% boost to damage. I can't tell if I just won the game or I'm playing it wrong.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No matter how many times I try my lvl 27 wizard cannot pass Balail in the desert palace. I can kill anything else instantly with my death rays and stuff but his 3rd form smacks me in 1 hit every time. Maybe its because Ive been gone a few years and Im trying to step back in. maybe Im missing something. I passed him easy as I recall with two different Demon Hunters and even a puny Necromancer. But the wizard is hard stuck and I cant go further.

I had hoped to finish the game with both my wiz and barb . But this is frustrating me beyond ends.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I feel like we've had this conversation before but it may just be a glitch in the matrix. That can be a hard fight in story mode if you can't control the difficulty. In adventure I often have to bump it down early in character progression. You pretty much have to be moving constantly if you don't have a lot of mitigation, making channeled skills frustrating to use.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At first I thought it was my poison resist getting me killed but I noticed these last few tries that I can stand in the poison and be fine. Its just his smashing claws. If I quaf the health poition then he will hit me two more time before I can do it again.

If all else fails I may end up coming here to beg someone to join me to take him down and get me past him. lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"