Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Fenyx looks like a flop.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:49 am Fenyx looks like a flop.
Based on what? It's getting ~3.5 to 4 star reviews, and it's a little early for sales figures.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 pm
Based on what? It's getting ~3.5 to 4 star reviews, and it's a little early for sales figures.
Based on my opinion of its looks, game play, story, and characters.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:13 pm
and ACG says it is the best game Ubisoft has released this year.. who am I going to believe?

Anyway, like Max I have Ubisoft+ so I'll be trying it out. We'll let you know in a couple days.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:15 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:13 pm
and ACG says it is the best game Ubisoft has released this year.. who am I going to believe?

Anyway, like Max I have Ubisoft+ so I'll be trying it out. We'll let you know in a couple days.
Some people may like fake meat...not me. Some may think this is the cat;s meow....not me and some other. Some like it some dont. Ive seen reviews that say it stinks to ones that just fawn over it. To me its not for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which means you don't like it, which is a perfectly cromulent opinion, and nobody would deny you that. That still doesn't make it a flop.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:03 pm I started playing Shapez.io and then I realized it's 4AM.
tried this out - too much like OCD busywork (or an involved fidget spinner).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think the 2 I loved are agar.io and slither.io
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:44 am Ubisoft's Immortals Fenyx Rising releases on Dec 3.
This wasn't on my radar at all, but I've just watched a review of it and it looks pretty good. I imagine it will be a nice antidote to some of the much bigger and certainly more dreary-looking open world games released lately. I like the art style and even the platform puzzling, which I'm normally wary of, looks fun.

In fact, had it not been releasing right at the time I'm madly buying presents for all my relatives, I'd buy it right now. I guess I'll see how much money I have left in a couple of weeks. The usual 100 Ubi points > 20% discount will be nice. :D
I no longer post here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 am
Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:44 am Ubisoft's Immortals Fenyx Rising releases on Dec 3.
This wasn't on my radar at all, but I've just watched a review of it and it looks pretty good. I imagine it will be a nice antidote to some of the much bigger and certainly more dreary-looking open world games released lately. I like the art style and even the platform puzzling, which I'm normally wary of, looks fun.

In fact, had it not been releasing right at the time I'm madly buying presents for all my relatives, I'd buy it right now. I guess I'll see how much money I have left in a couple of weeks. The usual 100 Ubi points > 20% discount will be nice. :D
$30 in Ubisoft+ sub fees to play Watch Dogs: Legion, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Immortals Fenyx Rising is even nicer. :D Here's hoping I remember to cancel when I am done. Actually I guess I could just cancel now since I am paid through the next 3 weeks.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still on Shapez.io, but just hit a hard wall with L20, and no idea how to accomplish it, was forced to look for the Wiki hint guide. And it's like: REALLY?!
Spoiler:
You can stack shapes on top of each other, even if one the bottom shape is missing some of the quadrants. It'll stay together... UNTIL you cut the shape apart. Then the unsupported portions fall to the bottom, but retains the smaller size of the original higher shape. So that requires a whole different level of planning, a smaller piece WITHOUT a piece underneath. SNEAKY!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Can't wait for Suberse.....who could with this as a lead "The developers describe the content like this:
A female cyborg performs fellatio on a bald man who wears panties on his head"

or "A psychotic pirate queen dominates a poor smuggler by grinding her buttocks on his crotch whilst gripping his member with her cute heart-shaped tail"

Merry Christmas indeed!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaddison wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 pm Can't wait for Suberse.....who could with this as a lead "The developers describe the content like this:
A female cyborg performs fellatio on a bald man who wears panties on his head"

or "A psychotic pirate queen dominates a poor smuggler by grinding her buttocks on his crotch whilst gripping his member with her cute heart-shaped tail"

Merry Christmas indeed!
Are we alone in this universe? What is out there? More importantly… can we bone it?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Subverse.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to Blues Cl...err News.

Casey Hudson leaves Bioware again and takes Mark Darrah with him this time. Guess Casey couldn't save them after all.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/217253/case ... ve-bioware
Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah are parting ways with BioWare where they had served, respectively, as General Manager and Executive Producer. There are three big posts on the BioWare Blog to hash out the news and what it means to the future of both individuals, to BioWare, and to upcoming game projects. Here's the post from Casey Hudson and here's the post from Mark Darrah. For the big picture, there's also a Message From Laura Miele, Chief Studios Officer, Electronic Arts. Here's part of that:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It drives me crazy watching somebody playing a wargame,supposedly teaching me how to do it,and they've never played it before and their tactics are crap. I keep yelling at the screen and finally give up and play the game myself.
I always if I can watch videos of my games to see how they play.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Let's play = let's not.

Once in a while if I am absolutely stuck on a puzzle, and the only video on it is a let's play, I will fast forward to that exact spot to see the solution. I can't stand watching them bungle around making every misstep, but if I know they completed the level, the solution must be in there somewhere.

If you want to make a walkthrough video, at least have the decency to edit out all the dead ends.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Happy 27th!!! birthday to DOOM!

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Mass Effect Next isn't the only thing that Bioware is teasing.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Varric? Is that you?

Also: This tells me that I need to go back and actually do that replay of Inquisition. I played it before the DLC hit.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Having a twitchy right mouse button finger makes for a lot of reloading. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying "Genesis Alpha One", and so far it's... interesting. It's a resource management game where you need to manage exploration of a cluster with your limited clones on a starship. The "catch" is you have very limited resources available, and building the wrong thing have serious consequences, such as unable to build anything else. What's worse, obtaining resources has a chance of bringing in nasties which can quickly infest your ship, and you need to eradicate them ASAP. If left alone, it can seriously damage your ship and cut off access to some sections. So you end up playing FPS and shoot critters in the maintenance passages, or wherever they come up. And you have a detector a la "Aliens" And this is just the intro. Every landing op (for harvesting) and every piece of debris you brought in by tractor you have a chance of bringing in critters.

The rest is basically balance the needs (you need to harvest parts, raw material, have enough storage for all of it, add additional crew, setup defenses in case, critters get through, but you need additional research to enable research. You can also join a harvest shuttle to visit the surface. Building the ship can also get complicated as you can build multiple levels but setup can be tricky due to the way modules don't easily fit together (not enough junctions means you can't add more stuff). Tricky! Interesting combo of FPS, resource management, active harvesting, and a decent story.

edit: Game is EXTREMELY difficult as you rarely come across a plant that would generate oxygen. I finally found one, but it's in an asteroid field. And my ship was just battered into pieces that I can't even perform damcon fast enough to matter. The problem here is your power and connections is usually very delicate. If you had a fire in a corridor, you may lose that corridor, and if that's from the bridge, it contains the "control runs" that if you lose them, you lose power to all the other modules UNLESS you have an alternate route. And if you lose a reactor, you can't do anything, not even to jettison one of the modules, unless you have super redundancy. Right now, I'm stuck in the asteroid field, unable to jump out as I just lost access to the bridge, and I can't build a new corridor to replace the run. I'm basically watching my ship die.

In this game, losing your avatar just means your command is transferred to one of the other clones. So that's kinda nice, but if you lose the ship, that's it. Guess I have to start a third game.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:34 am building the wrong thing have serious consequences, such as unable to build anything else
That sounds annoying. Still, I have the game and haven't tried it yet - guess I'll give it a go later.
I no longer post here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Paradroid wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:43 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:34 am building the wrong thing have serious consequences, such as unable to build anything else
That sounds annoying. Still, I have the game and haven't tried it yet - guess I'll give it a go later.
It's basically limited resources, and unable to "convert" resources. At the beginning, you can only mine sulfur, iron, and something else. You send that to a refinery, and that converts each type into a refined form (gunpowder, frame, and whatever) and they need separate storage. At the beginning you have super-limited amount of oxygen, enough for exactly 9 crew members, no more. And that's with one attending the biosphere. So you have to move people around doing tractor and away team left and right. And you need "frame" to build things, but you only find so much iron around, unless you find some frame in salvaged wreckage. But mining on a planet or tractor things in means you can bring in nasties that like your ship and start to grow. Building something and run out of frame means you can't build anything else, lest you deconstruct the module (and get all of the resources back) It's actually not that badly balanced.

Just "raided" a ship's wreckage, and the guy who build it did it kinda like a Constitution class. :D A kinda "saucer" for the main hull, a turbolift down to a secondary hull, then two more turbolifts with to the sides leading to two "more high-mounted "nacelles" with more rooms, ending in two hyperdrive modules. That's really cute. :D Didn't find the way to go back until I finally read that I had to open my PDA, which engages the "beam me back". Don't believe I found 1 upgrade module and a 2nd "site" for artifacts. Only found 1 of 2 sites. And I killed everything that moved.

That's before I got stuck in the asteroid field. I think I have to start over, and that may take a few days. It's not bad, it's just a bit frustrating when you have to juggle THAT many balls in the air.

EDIT: I should have never gone into the asteroid field in the first place. By the time I realized that, it's too late to run. *sigh*
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Part of the problem is a lot like the stable orbit space station building sim, I didn't know how to come up with a good layout that is flexible yet not space wasting. As none of the modules are the same size. Two types of storage modules (one for raw, one for refined) are 1x1, but there are modules that are 5x5 (biosphere, for example) that even extends into the floor above (and yes, you can build on multiple levels). And not all of them have exits in the place that you expect. Some modules have exits on 3 sides, but some have on only 2, and so on. And every module you build takes up 1 power in your reactor. And you only have 99 power in your ship's reactor to start. And you need to build reactors to expand your ship beyond a certain point. THEN you need to build in periodic "access" points so you can jump down into the maintenance tunnels where the alien critters may hide, and if they pop a power node, may eventually cause a fire and destroy the entire node, and the fire can spread. The damcon is basically get in there before the module dies, reset the power node, and the damcon droids will come in and repair the section. Unfortunately, none of your clones are smart enough to do it, so you are basically running around on the ship. juggling one priority against another, and even periodically jump into the shuttle and do an away mission where you can grab artifacts, transmissions, and clues left behind by previous expeditions and whatnot.

The AI is sorta interesting. Each module has a purpose, and if you assign a crew member to it (and some can take more than one) some stuff is automated. Like if you assign someone to the bridge, they will automatically scan the debris and planets to find goodies, instead fo you doing it manually. Assign someone to the tractor beam and they will tractor stuff once you told them to start on a sector, or you can do it manually. Etc etc. To automate it, you need to assign at least one crew.

Later, you need enemies with shields, pirates, and so on.

Apparently, your crew can fall sick, esp. if you meet up with mushrooms. They grow all over the place, unless you shoot up the infected areas until the mushrooms pop. And they can infect your crew, who will go rest in their quarters, but they can spread spores between their work and their quarters. If you go to quarters and get samples you can eventually research the sickness. There is just a LOT of interactivity there, but can be REALLY complicated.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Gah, just lost my ship... again. Actually, I saved the ship, but I lost all the crew except myself.

Basically, I got complacent. I had 2 barriers and 2 turrets guarding the only entry point... So I thought. Apparently, enemy spores can hide in stuff and only emerge later, and I made the mistake of putting "storage" (which are ready to use components) inside the secure zone... not OUTSIDE as it should be. Hindsight is always 20/20. The result was basically when some enemies got past me, I didn't put in enough defense in depth that I ended up losing half of the important modules and most of the crew and now I don't have enough to rebuild.

My idea was basically put bridge up front, leading south to cross junction. L and R goes to corridor lines with storage and at the end, H-sections with crew quarters or stuff like reactors, workshop, cloning, etc. South to biosphere, then only beyond the biosphere, would I put danger points like tractor, hangar, and so on. Then I blocked tractor corridor leading back to biosphere, both upper and lower, with portable forcefields, and one turret for upper and one turret for lower. It should have been foolproof, but it wasn't. SOMEHOW, some arachnid eggs hid in the parts I fished out of the cold, and due to robots moving them, got past the barrier, and into the rest of the ship. They hatched and wrecked the rest of the ship.

Lesson learned: block strategic points and have a backup plan. AND design the ship as a single path through, so each node becomes a defensive point.

Looks like the layout will have to be

Bridge -> biosphere -> tractor -> hangar

Deposit (raw materials) and storage will have to be attached to tractor or hangar along with refinery and workshop.

Crew quarters can probably be attached to the left or right wing of biosphere but will also have to be barriered and guarded "just in case" they got sick and it's "contagious".

This game, I thought I was playing smarter by NOT stripping each planet, but only taking what I think I needed, and even then I ran out of "cable" and wanted through several systems looking for it. And almost got chased down by a rogue pirate. But managed to get away. But not well enough, I guess.

May give it one more go later.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'll start a new topic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lordy GOGs installer SUX. Im barely pushing 2 meg. Even 500 meg games take forever. And the install will sometimes totally die requiring me to restart them. Steam gives me 50 meg a sec.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It doesn't do that to me. I think I downloaded Cyberpunk in about 10 minutes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have it set to not limit download speeds. Dont see any other settings for downloads.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I get the same download speeds on GOG as I do on Steam.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:22 am
I'm not even sure what's in reference to. It's like there's too much going on. Is it supposed to represent every competitive shooter?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:30 pm
I'm not even sure what's in reference to. It's like there's too much going on. Is it supposed to represent every competitive shooter?
I believe it's all the Rainbow Six: Siege operators.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Looks like CD Projekt's catching serious flak for seemingly kowtowing to Chinese censorship over a Taiwanese game's initial inclusion of a Xinnie the Pooh meme:

CD Projekt under fire for dramatic U-turn on Devotion GOG release
Eurogamer.net wrote:CD Projekt has come under fire for reversing the decision to release horror game Devotion on GOG.com.

Devotion's developer, Red Candle Games, tweeted earlier today to announce its game would come out on GOG on 18th December, with a link to a store page that has now been pulled.

@redcandlegames wrote:Hello friends, we want to share with you– Red Candle will publish #還願Devotion on Dec 18 on GOG.
gog.com/game/devotion

The content and the price of the re-release remains the same, for $16.99 / €13.99

Thank you for your trust and support. We wish you a happy end of the year pic.twitter.com/peVPd7cyVo

— redcandlegames (@redcandlegames)
Devotion is considered one of the finest horror games of the past decade, but it has proved a controversial one. Following its release in the spring of 2019, Devotion was found to contain an unflattering reference to China's president, Xi Jinping. The discovery sparked an outcry among Chinese players, leading to the withdrawal of Chinese distributors, the closure of Red Candle's account on Weibo, one of China's largest social media platforms, and the removal of the game from Steam in China.

Red Candle, which is based in Taiwan, has apologised at length for what it says was a placeholder asset, accidentally transferred to the final release. These comments were not enough to stem the backlash, however, and a week after sale, the developer pulled the game from Steam in all territories to perform unspecified fixes. It never returned.

In its tweet announcing the dramatic change of heart, GOG said: "After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store."

@GOGcom) wrote:Earlier today, it was announced that the game Devotion is coming to GOG. After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store.
— GOG.COM (@GOGcom)
Eurogamer has asked GOG for an explanation. We've also asked Red Candle for a statement.

Already, CD Projekt is suffering a backlash to the move, with many suggesting the company is trying desperately to avoid outrage in China.

@MahDryBread wrote:There is no way you're not putting it on the store because of the opinion of gamers. They can just choose not to buy that game. Who cares if a game they don't want to play is simply on the platform?

You just don't want the platform pulled from China.

— Mah-Dry-Bread - Medraut Stowe (@MahDryBread)

@Nomaki wrote:CDPR: releases a game about fighting government and corporate oppression

Also CDPR: pulls a game from GOG within hours of announcing after receiving pressure from "gamers", which is 100% covering for "we don't want to lose the Chinese market so we're bowing to censorship" https://t.co/3Te6DlVW1h

— Shaun Wall (@Nomaki)
It's the latest controversial decision from CD Projekt, which has already seen the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 prove to be one of the most controversial blockbuster releases of all time.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All hail the great and mighty dollar.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:09 am All hail the great and mighty dollar renminbi.
FTFY.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I can't honestly blame them. I think it's less about censorship and more about not wanting to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Although their wording about pressure from gamers seems to be a deflection from the bigger picture. It does seem odd to me that they would not realize the content could be controversial to begin with. I mean, don't they review these things before deciding to sell them?
Hrothgar wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:45 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:30 pm
I believe it's all the Rainbow Six: Siege operators.
Oh, I see. Even with that added info, the reference escapes me. I'm not even sure what Operators are.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:45 am Well, I can't honestly blame them. I think it's less about censorship and more about not wanting to be caught between a rock and a hard place.
Yep. Every other storefront would have (and indeed, has) done the same, and those bellends on Twitter damn well know it.
I no longer post here.