What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paradroid

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by Paradroid »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 am I'm just biding my time until Watch Dogs Legion in a couple of days.
I have a terrible time concentrating on games ahead of the launch of something I'm anticipating. I predict I'll get a bad case of the jitters about a week ahead of Valhalla's launch.
I no longer post here.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

BL1 the saga continues.....okay I beat Col Klink in first DLC and now all of sudden everything scales with me....big surprise and cost me millions. Is there a reason there is no fast travel?

Not sure whether to finish DLC 1 missions or move on to evil Claptrap. Or prhaps just move on to BL2
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:50 pm The order does matter, or at least Claptrap should be last or there will be spoilers. Oh, and something to be aware of with the DLC. They didn't originally design the engine to handle it, so they weren't able to create fast travel points from within the locations. There's only ever the single fast-travel point at the start.

One super-minor spoiler for the Knoxx DLC. When you go in to fight the final boss, empty your inventory. Seriously, throw away everything that isn't five-star top tier gear. After you win, loot fast. Don't look at the stats, don't compare, just look at the colors, scoop it up, and scoot.
;)

They fixed the issue in BL2, but I understand it was too late in BL1.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:50 pm The order does matter, or at least Claptrap should be last or there will be spoilers. Oh, and something to be aware of with the DLC. They didn't originally design the engine to handle it, so they weren't able to create fast travel points from within the locations. There's only ever the single fast-travel point at the start.

One super-minor spoiler for the Knoxx DLC. When you go in to fight the final boss, empty your inventory. Seriously, throw away everything that isn't five-star top tier gear. After you win, loot fast. Don't look at the stats, don't compare, just look at the colors, scoop it up, and scoot.
;)

They fixed the issue in BL2, but I understand it was too late in BL1.
Traveling down that damn highway is annoying because you can't speed through it and fighting takes time and deaths after they level with you. Not sure if I will ever be able to take down Crawmergedon. Watched a Youtube about it and am still not sure I can do it.

Can you farm Knoxx?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Crawmerax is essentially a raid. As to farming Knoxx, I know it is possible, but I've never bothered.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

finished the entire "Time Mysteries" trilogy, finally completing everything i acquired in that Humble Artifex Mundi Bundle from some years back. the first one was pretty sad and is very clearly one of Artifex Mundi's very first titles - low budget, extremely short, awkward all around. the second had slightly better production values, but a ridiculous amount of backtracking to pad out the length, to the point where i'd consult a walkthrough just to find where the hidden object scene had randomly appeared (to save myself going through every stupid screen every single time). third one had better balance all around, but the bonus chapter actually reused several puzzles. puzzle reuse was a problem in general with this series, but these ones were almost exactly the same as ones you just completed earlier in the game... and i was getting mighty sick of the soundtrack well before the end.

to give myself a challenge, i played on 'Expert mode' which was a mistake. mostly it just makes you sweep the cursor around the entirety of every single scene for the next hidden object thing instead of telling you where it just appeared - again artificially extending the game's length and boredom.

also 100%ed the achievements for all three, which wasn't difficult. even 'complete a hidden object scene in under a minute' becomes possible towards the end of the game, where the scenes start getting much sparser and simpler-looking.

looking at trailers for the newest AM titles, they look more advanced in most every way than the older ones from this bundle, which started me wondering why did i waste my time with these, but then remembered that i went into these with the knowledge they were going to be hellacheezy.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Okay now I am fully ensconced in BL2. I have a bunch of golden keys- is there a better time to use them like maybe when I am above a certain level?

Is there any reason to hold onto those badass tokens or should I use them as I get them?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:49 pm Okay now I am fully ensconced in BL2. I have a bunch of golden keys- is there a better time to use them like maybe when I am above a certain level?

Is there any reason to hold onto those badass tokens or should I use them as I get them?
Spend the badass tokens as you get them. They are persistent across all of your characters, so any boosts you unlock now will also be applied to future characters. And since each character earns them separately, they can provide a substantial boost. I usually try to keep the various categories close to even, but there's no reason not to prioritize what will help your current character.

Golden keys - define 'bunch!' I wouldn't use them at all during the first playthrough unless you're really, really hurting for gear (ie - getting slaughtered.) If you have a ton there's no reason not to use them later on when you fall significantly behind the curve (which is easy to do if you rely on a specific type of weapon due to a build - say, fire SMGs.) For people who want to go for the full experience, the best time to use the keys is after you hit max level.

DLC - scaling can be a pain, so be careful where you fast travel to. Oasis is Captain Scarlet, Unassuming Dock is Tina, Badass Crater is Torgue, Hunter's Grotto (I think) is Hammerlock. If you fast travel to one of these, it will lock the DLC at your current level. As such, the usual advice is similar to BL1: Play the main campaign, doing what's fun but not being completionist. Then start playthrough 2 being as thorough as you like, then finally do the DLC once you're done with the rest.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Cool. I have probably 20 golden keys for Pre-sequel. Maybe 20 or so for BL2. Somehow I have over 30 for BL3. Only 5 for BL1. Have never used them so far.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm somewhat ambivalent on Golden Keys. I find that I usually have Legendaries to fill the gaps. Of course, I also have a bunch of alts and lots of Legendaries in storage.

Since this is your first playthrough, I think you just have to go by feel. Two important things to remember with Golden Keys: 1) the items you get are always going to be your level, and 2) you cannot get Legendaries. That said, if you find yourself struggling because all your weapons are significantly lower than your current level, and you haven't gotten any good drops, then using a key or two is a great way to improve things. I think the first time I ever used it was to get a Shock weapon for a particular situation...
Spoiler:
If you fail to save Roland on the dam, then you have to assault the prison. If your guns are crappy and you don't have a shock weapon, it can actually be impossible to get through the Constructor's shields, making completing the mission impossible.
Later on (i.e. when you are on your 3rd alt...), you'll probably have some good Legendaries saved, and you'll find the keys to be far less useful.

And don't forget to check http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key occasionally for new keys.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

The symbiotic midget and bullymong dropped an orange assault rifle which is just friggin awesome. I know I will out level it but damn that thing is powerful. Killing them was not the easiest thing as they keep flying around the town.

I am guessing BL2 does not have weapon proficiencies like BL1 had? Or I don't know where to look.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With BL2 it is very worthwhile at a certain power level to carry a shock weapon in one of your slots for stuff with powerful shields. Shock is way more useful in BL2 than it was in 1. If you get strong enough, or have the right build you can sometimes forego that later on.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 am The symbiotic midget and bullymong dropped an orange assault rifle which is just friggin awesome. I know I will out level it but damn that thing is powerful. Killing them was not the easiest thing as they keep flying around the town.

I am guessing BL2 does not have weapon proficiencies like BL1 had? Or I don't know where to look.
Correct. No weapon proficiencies. Though you will find synergies with skills that will likely make you adopt certain weapons over others.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There should be a Borderlands Randomness thread...

Two weeks ago I gave "My Time at Portia" a few minutes just so I could say I tried it. It's a little simple and happy for me, the same reason I've passed on Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing (I tried one once) and similar games. 60+ hours later and I can't stop playing it. There is a very surprising (to me) one more day thing that keeps pulling at me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I picked up two games on sale that have been on my list for ages: Blasphemous and Ghost of a Tale.

I absolutely love the overall vibe of Blasphemous. The pixel art is incredible, the religious story and setting are interesting, I love the violent gameplay, and the music is great. Unfortunately, it's gonna fall into the Dark Souls category as something that looks very cool but is way too difficult for me. Not only is it tough as nails to begin with, but they actually make it harder the more you die (there's a mechanic that gradually decreases a resource each time you die). That feels like a stupid decision...oh well.

Ghost of a Tale certainly has some charm, but I'm already annoyed by the puzzles. Very early on, there's a gate that needs a key. You can see the key hanging on the wall, but can't reach it. I ran around for about 20 minutes trying to figure out WTF I was supposed to do to open the gate. Turns out, there's a random stool around the corner that you can interact with, and put it under the key to reach it. I never even would have thought to try and use it, as none of the other furniture in the game is movable...just this one stool. Those sort of puzzles annoy the hell out of me, so I'll hope it's just a one-off bad example.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:52 am There should be a Borderlands Randomness thread...

Two weeks ago I gave "My Time at Portia" a few minutes just so I could say I tried it. It's a little simple and happy for me, the same reason I've passed on Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing (I tried one once) and similar games. 60+ hours later and I can't stop playing it. There is a very surprising (to me) one more day thing that keeps pulling at me.
Is there such a thread? I didn't find one and this is what I am playing in quarantine which it appears quarantine 2 is imminent. I have also been keeping my toe dipped in Warhammer Inquisitor. New season starts November 16. Only got to the third level of the season. Getting to 110 in warzone and such is wayyyy too much time.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:07 pm I absolutely love the overall vibe of Blasphemous. The pixel art is incredible, the religious story and setting are interesting, I love the violent gameplay, and the music is great. Unfortunately, it's gonna fall into the Dark Souls category as something that looks very cool but is way too difficult for me. Not only is it tough as nails to begin with, but they actually make it harder the more you die (there's a mechanic that gradually decreases a resource each time you die). That feels like a stupid decision...oh well.
The same developer also made a pixel graphics horror themed point 'n' clicker, The Last Door. Absolutely brilliant, if rather short, and dripping with atmosphere. Also one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard too.
I no longer post here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:52 am There should be a Borderlands Randomness thread...
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:50 am The general gist is that Video Game Randomness is for any small topic that doesn't really warrant it's own thread. Running discussions of a specific game, for instance, are probably better suited for that game's thread (and really help people find discussions of that game years later), while some off-the-wall observation probably goes in Randomness.
It's been a couple of months, and I'm going to start taking my own advice. If it is an aside about gaming, or a mention of what I'm playing, I'll put it in a Randomness or the Quarantine thread. If it is an actual discussion of a game, I'll put it in the game's thread. There has been an awful lot of good Borderlands advice that people reading the actual Borderlands threads will never get to see.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

At long last my BL1 itch was scratched play every class though both play throughs and DLC.....except only did most of the DLCs once.

Now on to BL2 where I seem to have settled on Gaige and the Death bot....which at times seems over powered. Gunzerker definitely not my play style or the psycho.

Yay only 8 years behind now!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trials Rising was $19 well spent, although I'm terrible at anything past the Easy levels. Still, playing those levels with the kids was super fun.

I'm still running through Final Fantasy XIV with a second toon on PS4. Finished the main game, and am about 1/3 of the way through the Heavensward xpac, couple hundred hours in now. I have really enjoyed seeing the story unfold sequentially, rather than in chunks that are months or years apart. The streamlined leveling is also a godsend, as it has allowed me to skip all of the tedious sidequests. Leveling was originally Base Game (1-50), Heavensward (50-60), Stormblood (60-70), Shadowbringers (70-80). I'm not even halfway through Heavensward and am already 68, and haven't done any dungeon or fate grinding at all. :lol: That said, I'm sticking with it more because nothing else is grabbing me than because I'm particularly invested in it. It's fun, but I've been through it already before and am just kinda killing time.

Debating whether to restart Outer Worlds. Now that I know what to expect (a primary focus on a series of self-contained planetary vignettes rather than an epic overarching story), I might enjoy it a bit better. First time through, I kept viewing the planet quests as side-quest "filler" and was waiting for the "big" story to reveal itself, and got rather annoyed when it never did.

I tried the latest God of War again, and bounced off it...again. Just something about that game does not work for me at all. I love the setting, it's beautiful, and the father/son dynamic is interesting, but I absolutely hate the puzzles, find the combat to be generally 'meh', and don't care much for it's open world structure. Third strike, it's now out.

I checked out the Black Friday/Fall sales on Steam, Epic Store, GoG, Green Man Gaming, and Fanatical...and there wasn't a single game that interested me. :cry: Only thing that jumps out right now is AC Valhalla, but I'm waiting on that one until I get a PS5 at some point next year.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The last couple of weeks Ive been putting in a lot of time with Battle Brothers but with all the sales of Matrix wargames I have a feeling I maybe changing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Outer Worlds wasn't any more interesting the second time through.

Gonna give Icewind Dale EE a shot instead.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Current rotation - (no particular order; whatever strikes my fancy)

Rocket League (mostly with my son)
Disgaea 5
Suikoden 3 (PS2 emulator)
Gems of War
Football, Tactics & Glory (the expansion made me want to start a new team)
MLB: The Show 20 (winding down the year, but still fun)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've gone back to playing the A19 build of 7DTD. I hadn't played in quite awhile and really like the new points of interest and the missions.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got about 4 hours into Icewind Dale EE and realized I needed something with a) more modern graphics and b) an actual story. :lol:

So I'm gonna give Divinity OS 2 another go. It's one that I've gotten 10-15 hours into a couple times (once on PC, once on PS4), then just fizzle out. Gonna try and push through...third time's the charm, right?
RM2

Post by RM2 »

Back to Grim Dawn, this time pure soldier currently level 25 after recently restarting.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 am Got about 4 hours into Icewind Dale EE and realized I needed something with a) more modern graphics and b) an actual story. :lol:

So I'm gonna give Divinity OS 2 another go. It's one that I've gotten 10-15 hours into a couple times (once on PC, once on PS4), then just fizzle out. Gonna try and push through...third time's the charm, right?
If you have the time, I highly recommend checking out MajorSlack's series of Divinity: Original Sin 2 video walkthroughs if you'd like to get the most out of it and aim to get going as quickly and easily as possible. You don't need to watch the entire series, but the first four or five videos supply a wealth of really useful info and his 'Level 4 Power Start' provides a rock-solid blank slate template from which to experiment with any character builds you like:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My time has been split between Demon Souls and Rocket League. I got a few strategy games on the PS5 for cheap (Stellaris and Age of Wonders: Planetfall), but really haven't spent much time with either yet.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:50 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 am Got about 4 hours into Icewind Dale EE and realized I needed something with a) more modern graphics and b) an actual story. :lol:

If you have the time, I highly recommend checking out MajorSlack's series of Divinity: Original Sin 2 video walkthroughs if you'd like to get the most out of it and aim to get going as quickly and easily as possible. You don't need to watch the entire series, but the first four or five videos supply a wealth of really useful info and his 'Level 4 Power Start' provides a rock-solid blank slate template from which to experiment with any character builds you like:
Thanks. I'm playing on Story mode though, so I doubt I'll need to worry much about min/maxing builds. :)
Anonymous Bosch

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:59 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:50 pm

Thanks. I'm playing on Story mode though, so I doubt I'll need to worry much about min/maxing builds. :)
Fair enough. But keep in mind you'll be depriving yourself of perhaps the most outstanding and enjoyable turn-based tactical squad combat system since XCOM. Don't get me wrong, the story and writing are more than adequate, but the thought-provoking combat is where the game really shines and comes into its own (the fact that your interest in the game previously fizzled out after 10-15 hours likely reflects this). Suffice to say, the strategic combat system plays very similarly to XCOM where positioning, terrain, and the elements can all play a crucial role in achieving success in enemy encounters. And while it's just as deep and complex as the rest of the game, MajorSlack's video walkthroughs do a terrific job of getting you going as quickly and easily as possible.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's like AB has never met Skiny...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:09 pm It's like AB has never met Skiny...
:lol: :lol:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 pm Fair enough. But keep in mind you'll be depriving yourself of perhaps the most outstanding and enjoyable turn-based tactical squad combat system since XCOM. Don't get me wrong, the story and writing are more than adequate, but the thought-provoking combat is where the game really shines and comes into its own (the fact that your interest in the game previously fizzled out after 10-15 hours likely reflects this). Suffice to say, the strategic combat system plays very similarly to XCOM where positioning, terrain, and the elements can all play a crucial role in achieving success in enemy encounters. And while it's just as deep and complex as the rest of the game, MajorSlack's video walkthroughs do a terrific job of getting you going as quickly and easily as possible.
My interest fizzled because the game got frustratingly vague in letting me know WTF I was actually supposed to be doing to progress, and got bogged down in sidequest hell. Had nothing to do with the lack of interesting combat. I'm 100% fine with "cakewalk" combat when the world, characters, and story are engaging.

Nothing will make me lose interest in combat that is complex and overly difficult. That aspect of DOS2 interests me not in the least.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous Bosch

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:09 pm It's like AB has never met Skiny...
Indeed, I am unfamiliar with Skinypupy's particular proclivities; can you elucidate?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1) Buy game
2) Hate game
3) Sell to coop
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm 1) Buy game
2) Hate game
3) Sell to coop
Gotcha.

Alas, considering how much of a fan coopasonic tends to be of the XCOM games, I suspect he's long since played the hell out of Divinity: Original Sin 2's Tactician mode.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm 1) Buy game
2) Hate game
3) Sell to coop
That is...a depressingly accurate summation of my gaming habits. :oops:
Anonymous Bosch

Skinypupy: If you're at all interested in experimenting with different character builds, I'd still highly recommend using MajorSlack's 'Level 4 Power Start' which saves all Attribute, Ability, and Talent points until your character reaches level 4. Doing so provides a superb foundation from which to fully customise and enjoy any character build you like without needing to replay the entire tutorial section again. So you can save a 'blank template' character at level 4, and immediately have plenty of points to invest in whichever build you like (e.g. if you pick the 'Lone Wolf' + 'All Skilled Up' talents, you'll have enough points to be able to summon Champion Incarnates at level 4).

BTW, if you’re not going to play as Fane, the Undead origin character, then you should at least bring him along as a companion. He's a walking skeleton key, able to use his fingers to unlock doors and chests (with the appropriate skill level), which helps save money on lockpicks. He also provides plenty of entertaining sarcastic dialogue along the way.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'll check it out, but I'm 12 hours in and already at level 6. I think I can respec at some point, but we'll see how interesting that seems when I get to that point. I tend to really struggle if I try to completely redo a character after spending a few dozen hours playing a certain way.

I used Fane for a bit, but wasn't crazy about his poison heal ability instead of standard healing.

I'm running with Ifan as a Ranger, Lohse as a Hydro/Geo mage, Sebille as a Rogue, and Red Prince as a Fighter.
Anonymous Bosch

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:39 pm I used Fane for a bit, but wasn't crazy about his poison heal ability instead of standard healing.
Yeah, it's a little tricky to wrap your head around. I found it simplest to just keep a poison 'healing' barrel located near a warp area, and then I could always fill empty bottles from the poison barrel for undead healing potions as needed. Zaikk's Talon was another handy item which allows you to turn healing potions into poison potions of the corresponding level, or to turn normal food & drink items into poisoned equivalents.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still working my way through Fallout: New Vegas. I'm having a blast, but I really want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it hits (Michelle gifted me with a preorder for my birthday, many months ago.) As such, I'm starting to try and focus down the main quest. I played all the DLC through years ago when the game was new, so I don't feel too awful about skipping it this time. If Cyberpunk weren't coming out, I'd be taking my time with it more, but it's just too big of a game to be playing alongside another huge game (and I also have Horizon Zero Dawn going on the PS4.)