Immortals Fenyx Rising - AC: Odyssey x Breath of the Wild?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Immortals Fenyx Rising - AC: Odyssey x Breath of the Wild?

Post by coopasonic »

In case you are unaware, it's the third open world Ubisoft game to release in the last 36 days. I've completed the first two so I feel obligated to take this one on as well!

I've only spent about 2 hours with it this morning, but it feels pretty familiar having just finished up Valhalla. It adds the gliding and stamina based climbing of BotW with graphics somewhere in a between. Characters are almost chibi-like. Revealing POIs on synchronization is manual, which is kind of cool, but in the first area there are a LOT of POIs and it was kind of annoying identifying them all. Combat feels pretty good if a bit easy so far. I think the first boss hit me once.

Anyway I am enjoying it so far and will let you know how things progress.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Re: Immortals Fenyx Rising - AC: Odyssey x Breath of the Wild?

Post by Lorini »

It's PS5 only right? What, do you have a buy bot or something? :)
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 pm It's PS5 only right? What, do you have a buy bot or something? :)
No this is on all platforms. I am playing on PC.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:14 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 pm It's PS5 only right? What, do you have a buy bot or something? :)
No this is on all platforms. I am playing on PC.
Yeah it's even on the Switch
FTE
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:07 pm In case you are unaware, it's the third open world Ubisoft game to release in the last 36 days. I've completed the first two so I feel obligated to take this one on as well!
I'm gonna guess you don't have young kids?
I no longer post here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:51 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:07 pm In case you are unaware, it's the third open world Ubisoft game to release in the last 36 days. I've completed the first two so I feel obligated to take this one on as well!
I'm gonna guess you don't have young kids?
Depends on your criteria for young. My boys are 11 and 14. They are generally playing video games right along side me while my wife is watching TV in the next room.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Since I have Ubisoft+, downloading now :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Only played a couple of hours but enjoying it way more than Valhalla. I like the look and feel of it, great bright colours and the map layout etc. So far so good
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

This is on sale on Amazon for $40 right now on all platforms. I caved at that price. I'll wrap it up and give to myself for Christmas.

If it's part Breath of the Wild and part Assassins Creed then I know I'll like it.
FTE
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I was really enjoying this before Cyberpunk came out. I'm hoping I'll actually get back to it (and back to AC: Valhalla before it) once I finish with Cyberpunk. But, of course, attention spans, new shiny things, etc.

- Ash
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Asharak wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:10 am I was really enjoying this before Cyberpunk came out. I'm hoping I'll actually get back to it (and back to AC: Valhalla before it) once I finish with Cyberpunk. But, of course, attention spans, new shiny things, etc.

- Ash
Yeah this is me too, but even saving it for the quieter periods may be a good idea as they are both good games (well that's what I am saying to myself)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished it. It took close to 39 hours. I had a lot of fun with it. The combat was good and the puzzles were also fun and challenging. The story was also fun. I think I enjoyed this more than Valhalla or Legion, which surprises me. I had no expectations for this one and maybe it got a boost after Cyberpunk because it just worked.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been debating picking this one up "for the kids" as a last-minute Christmas present.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:18 pm I've been debating picking this one up "for the kids" as a last-minute Christmas present.
It's on sale on Epic and the Ubisoft store, maybe others.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
JCC

Post by JCC »

A buddy of mine bought me the Switch version as a Xmas present. I might have prefered the PC version but being able to play portably will probably be convenient as well. Played an hour or so. It's fun. Very BotW like but with a pretty humorous "narration" of the game's story. Framerate on the Switch isn't stellar but it's fine.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

My question with Immortals: Do you need to create an Ubisoft account to play it? We will not be cross platforming at all, and we play offline (no Nintendo online account).

My son (9) is interested in this for the Switch. He just received BotW for Christmas - he had been talking about BotW for a while, and is doing well with it. He has a Gamestop gift card that is burning a hole in his pocket, and saw Immortals for $28 new.

When reading reviews to see if it was any good, the biggest complaint I heard was having to create an account just to start playing, but wasn't sure if that was just anti-Ubi people, or if there was a workaround if not storing saves/accessing online content.

He also has Mario + Rabbids kingdoms (another Ubisoft) and we did not have to create any account for that.

I do not have an Ubisoft account, and I would really prefer not to create another account just to play a game he probably will finish relatively quickly.

Thanks.

Nonny
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A nonny mouse wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:51 am Do you need to create an Ubisoft account to play it? We will not be cross platforming at all, and we play offline (no Nintendo online account).
Maybe not? I don't have a Switch, so I can't confirm this information.
It requires you to be logged into an Ubisoft account if you want to play while the Switch is connected to the internet. Otherwise you can play without being signed in as long as you’re in airplane mode or not connected to the internet.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I just started on PS4, it didn’t require an Ubisoft login to play. (EDIT: I’m apparently automatically already signed into my Ubisoft account on PS4. So I guess I’m not sure if you’d have to create a new one,)

After my first 2.5 hours, it feels mostly meh. It’s Zelda BotW with about half the personality and charm. I do appreciate the fact that the weapons don’t break every 20 seconds though.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Thanks guys, that’s what I thought. Poop.

Well, we’ll have to discuss it. Thanks also skinypupy for the comparison. He loves BotW and I will let him know Immortals may not be as good. Although he loves Greek mythology, so he still may want it.

He may also not want to keep switching back and forth with wifi, etc. everytime he switches out a game.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Full disclosure: I’m the one person in the world who didn’t like BotW very much either. So I might not be the best person to make an evaluation on Immortals’ merits. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If he liked the puzzle-y stuff in BotW Fenyx takes it a good bit further with much more interesting and challenging puzzles. In other aspects it doesn't have nearly as much going on like different clothes for different environments or a bazillion resources to gather for cooking. Both changes are positive in my book but we may not prefer the same book.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:35 pm Full disclosure: I’m the one person in the world who didn’t like BotW very much either. So I might not be the best person to make an evaluation on Immortals’ merits. :)
Not the only one. I enjoyed the gameplay, but the aesthetic made my skin crawl. I found it bothersome enough that I never finished the game. Something about the constant haze and washed out colors really bothered me. It's like someone cranked the gamma up too high.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This game has the best chest-opening animations.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:21 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:35 pm Full disclosure: I’m the one person in the world who didn’t like BotW very much either. So I might not be the best person to make an evaluation on Immortals’ merits. :)
Not the only one. I enjoyed the gameplay, but the aesthetic made my skin crawl. I found it bothersome enough that I never finished the game. Something about the constant haze and washed out colors really bothered me. It's like someone cranked the gamma up too high.
Blasphemy!

As for Fenyx, im currently working on the platinum trophy for the ps5 version. I can say its definitely not just a BoTW clone. Its more breath of the wild mixed with the newer AC games and Witcher 3. There are a shit ton of random events and collectibles, but for me thats a good thing. I usually just work my way around the map completing various objectives. It definitely scratches my collection game itch.
FTE
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:41 pm This game has the best chest-opening animations.
My very first thought upon reading that was of the heart-removal scene from Temple of Doom. Probably a different kind of chest opening ( I haven’t clicked the link).
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:19 pm
AWS260 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:41 pm This game has the best chest-opening animations.
My very first thought upon reading that was of the heart-removal scene from Temple of Doom.
:shock:

Definitely a different kind of chest! :)

In most games like this, a chest will either magically open itself or you'll get an animation of your hero straining to pull up the giant lid. In Immortals, there are a variety of animations, all of them fun and unexpected. My second favorite is the WWE-style elbow drop that pops the chest open; my favorite is when Fenyx gently taps her fingertips on the lid and voilà.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This game is growing on me quite a bit.

It does itself zero favors by locking the main hub for advancement behind 3-4 hours of wandering around wondering what all these things I was collecting are even used for. Now that I’ve hit Hall of the Gods and know WTF I’m really supposed to be doing, it makes the game far more engaging as a whole.

My advice, beeline the main quests until you get to the Hall of Heroes. Everything makes so much more sense after that.

EDIT: I’m now 8 hours in. Ignore my original post, this game is a blast. Feels much more AC than Zelda, which is a positive IMO.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Almost 20 hours in, and while I like lots of things about this game, the sheer number of puzzles has become completely ridiculous. Want to open that chest? Do a puzzle. Want to unlock a challenge? Do a puzzle. Want to unlock a block sliding puzzle? First do another puzzle to unlock the missing piece of the blocks, then solve that puzzle. Want to access a Vault? First do a puzzle to unlock that vault which will send you into a vault filled with puzzles. You get the idea...it's a damn puzzleception.

Add in the fact that the puzzles are becoming more and more intricate and convoluted, and it doesn't bode particularly well for me actually being able to finish this game. When I get to an large area with a bunch of red objects with locks above them, my eyes just kinda glaze over at this point and I don't have a ton of interest to try and figure out which random order I'm supposed to hit and/or shoot things in to clear it. There's definitely too much of a good thing here, especially when it requires hunting down extremely well-hidden switches or levers simply to open up some of the next objectives.

Still, the story is fun, the game is beautiful, and the combat is excellent. If it had about half as many puzzles, this might be my 2nd favorite AC'ish game ever (behind AC Origins)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The plethora of puzzles is a bit part of what I enjoyed about the game. Using the guided arrow to scout arrow and see what I should be doing or where things are. You also get abilities that allow you to shortcut some puzzles, like the statue of yourself that saves you from having to figure out how to get a stone of it's cage and the AoE vertical thrust attack that lets you get to higher places. It started to overstay it's welcome for me, but well beyond the 20 hour mark. Of course I really enjoy puzzle games and some of the vault puzzles are pretty cool. On the other hand, the end game sequence... navigating the final area... what an annoying pain in the ass. Something to look forward to! :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, I was mostly interested for the setting, exploration, and combat, with the puzzles being a necessary evil. Now that they have rapidly become the centerpiece of the entire game (and then some), I find my interest waning pretty quickly. I'm also seeing lots more "twitchy" puzzles instead of logic puzzles pop up, which I'm truly terrible at.

Honestly though, 20 hours in this sort of game is pretty damn good for me. I may try and stick to a few of the main quests and see if I can progress the story a bit more. I'm probably only halfway through the second zone at 20 hours, which feels really slow considering I've heard 30-40 hours for a story-heavy playthrough. I probably need to quit getting quite so sidetracked by map markers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Since coop already has it, I'll buy it off you, assuming it wasn't a digital purchase.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:15 pm Since coop already has it, I'll buy it off you, assuming it wasn't a digital purchase.
I’m 100% digital now.

Only reason I was still doing physical was so I could do trade-ins, and since GameStop is dead to me...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:(
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is $20.99 over on Fanatical right now.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/immor ... nyx-rising
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
disarm

Post by disarm »

This popped up on GamePass a little while back, so I decided to give it a shot...and just finished after spending 70 hours completing pretty much everything in the base game. It's definitely a collect-a-thon, but I enjoyed the puzzle aspects enough that it stayed interesting. By the end, I had maxed out my character and weapon, making me pretty much unstoppable in battle. Clearly, I enjoyed the game or I wouldn't have to put in so much time, but I don't see myself venturing into any of the DLC or New Game+. I think I've pretty much had my fill for a while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey guys this is only $10 at Epic Store. For that its a no brainer.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/imm ... nyx-rising
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had some fun with this last night. It really is AssCreed lite with puzzle solving. I like it enough to keep playing. Its nice and casual and fun to see the sites. Also has a low lvl humor to it. Ive made a few lvls and gotten 4 legendary heroic items to help me on my adventure...basically tutorial stuff not in a tutorial setting. Im now stuck on the main quest as I cant figure out the puzzle it has put me into in a temple..one room with stuff I cant move without my bracers..so will see if I cant figure my way out.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I enjoyed this game back when it was released. But there are a ton of puzzles, so if you're not good at puzzles you may want to prepare to go onto youtube and get the solutions. It could save you from becoming frustrated with an otherwise good game.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason while playing this with the controller if I hit the big menu button it opens Steam up and ruins my game. I dont know why it would open Steam as this is a Ubi game and nothing to do with Steam.